Why are you (and others) Playstation fans? Question about franchises

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • natashaspice 3 Dec 2010 21:47:08 335 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    saw this on another forum and thought i would ask the same question here as i was asking myself the same question..

I am trying to understand the basis of loyalty to the Playstation brand. I understand Nintendo loyalty. It was like Atari after the crash, and Nintendo has Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and a number of other mascot characters they own that people have attachment to.

Loyalty to Atari is because they were first on the block, and what they put out.

Loyalty to Sega was due to Sonic, their arcade titles, and being a challenger to Nintendo and did sports titles.

Loyalty to Microsoft is Halo, and what they did FPS.

But what is the basis of loyalty to the Playstation brand? What is the franchises that they have that have people loyal? I see Gran Turismo, but what else do they have? I would ask primarily first party here, because third-party has had major defection patterns.

I guess in short, what drives yourself, if you are a Sony fan, or people you know, to buy the Playstation brand for a system to play games on?

for me this generation it has been infamous,heavy rain and demon souls some great experiences on a console which i would no doubt support to see more original stuff. on the previous generation it has been only the work of team ico and god of war
  • Pinky_Floyd 3 Dec 2010 21:52:56 6,423 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think the last time I felt any kind of loyalty was with the dreamcast and that was because I really admired what sega were trying to do

60hz output and a genuine effort to port NTSC games full screen and full speed.

Online functionality.

Free games - chu chu rocket

Support till the very end - pso ver 2

It was a game changer.

Sony, MS and Nintendo aren't worthy to follow in their footsteps or of brand loyalty. Yet people do esteem them! Fair enough, it's the devs who make the great games now who deserve the glory.

/sticks it to the man
  • Deleted user 3 December 2010 21:55:00
    Billy_sastard wrote:
    You're asking the wrong forum collective mate, there's not many fanbois here.
    Coulda' fooled me :D
  • Jazzy_Geoff 3 Dec 2010 21:56:05 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm 30 years old. I do not have a sense of loyalty to global megacorps.
  • natashaspice 3 Dec 2010 21:57:18 335 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Billy_sastard wrote:
    You're asking the wrong forum collective mate, there's not many fanbois here.
    i beg to differ but im glad you not one of them im just looking for decent answers. would have asked the same question in the xbox thread but i dont have one anymore and dont need one on the basis that all my gaming needs are catered for on the ps3.
  • natashaspice 3 Dec 2010 21:58:32 335 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:

its not just loyalty its also the games that drove you to buy either a ps3 or an xbox even the wii i suppose
  • Sid-Nice 3 Dec 2010 21:59:53 15,810 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the Sony Walkman created the brand loyalty a bit like Apple and the I-pod/I-phone success. If Apple brought out a gaming console I suspect that their fans would flock to buy it.

If only Carlsberg made gaming consoles.

NNID Sid-Nice

• heyyo 3 Dec 2010 22:00:13 14,374 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:

What does age have to do with anything? Either you admire a company or you don't...
  • Deleted user 3 December 2010 22:03:50
    Sid Nice wrote:
    I think the Sony Walkman created the brand loyalty a bit like Apple and the I-pod/I-phone success. If Apple brought out a gaming console I suspect that their fans would flock to buy it.

If only Carlsberg made gaming consoles.
    Like the last one? :D
  • Deleted user 3 December 2010 22:08:03
    Some people are of the opinion that the Playstation revolutionised and saved console gaming, whereas it actually ruined it.

You know, like Tories think of Thatcher.
  • King_Edward 3 Dec 2010 22:17:02 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    natashaspice wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    its not just loyalty its also the games that drove you to buy either a ps3 or an xbox even the wii i suppose
    I bought a PS3 because the PS2 was so awesome. It seemed to be a perfectly reasonable thing to do at the time.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 3 Dec 2010 22:25:16 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I bought it because I didn't want to pay for online stuff and er..can't remember...I was going to get a 360 but changed my mind.
  • Widge Moderator 3 Dec 2010 22:26:58 12,598 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ps2 got me my first DVD player, ps3 got me bluray and media streaming! Just so happened that good games were on it. Ff7 sold me the ps1.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Jazzy_Geoff 3 Dec 2010 22:35:47 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    heyyo! wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:

What does age have to do with anything? Either you admire a company or you don't...

because I'm less naive
  • Garlvinlandblueblood 3 Dec 2010 22:40:39 365 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My preference for Playstation started with FF7 and Metal Gear Solid on the PS1, then moved onto DVD, MGS2 and FFX on the PS2, and MGS4 and Uncharted on the PS3. Never really wanted Halo for some reason, and Mario, Metroid and Zelda are the only Nintendo games I miss out on on the Wii, so PS it is.
  • Garlvinlandblueblood 3 Dec 2010 22:44:08 365 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh yeah, Demon's Souls is far and away my favourite game this generation, and Last Guardian is coming up as well, so theres that. Never played God of War on PS2 but GOW3 underwhelmed me so count me out of that.
  • Carlo 3 Dec 2010 22:49:42 17,913 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is the cause of Sony playstation loyalty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIyEqpYnEaU

Hope it helps

PSN ID: Djini

• SG 3 Dec 2010 22:55:51 1,872 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not one but I'd imagine it's because it made gaming more mainstream and as having mass appeal.
  • Deleted user 3 December 2010 22:57:28
    I've no loyalty to Sony whatsoever.

I had a PS1 but never owned a PS2. I *loved* my Xbox but the 360 was such a fucking huge letdown in all regards that I sold it and got a PS3. Apart from a brief period over the summer this year where I tried the 360 again (and hated it again) I haven't looked back.
  • morriss 3 Dec 2010 22:59:07 70,749 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    heyyo! wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:

because I'm less naive
    Thing is, you like to present this air of neutrality but every time someone criticises Sony you dive in feel first yelling fanboy and getting all defensive. In fact, your response to this thread is the perfect example.

I'M NOT A SONY FANBOY REALLY I'M ABOVE IT ALL

Yeah, right. Be a man, admit it, you fucking love them.
  • Deleted user 3 December 2010 23:00:29
    Can't see how I'm loyal to Playstation (I didn't even own a PS2 and was very late to the PS3). But the PS1 period includes my happiest gaming moments. FFVII, VIII, IX, MGS, Resi 1 & 2, Abe, Rayman etc. etc.
  • Deleted user 3 December 2010 23:01:50
    morriss wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    heyyo! wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:

because I'm less naive
    Thing is, you like to present this air of neutrality but every time someone criticises Sony you dive in feel first yelling fanboy and getting all defensive. In fact, your response to this thread is the perfect example.

One to talk ffs. You piss blood every time someone says anything remotely bad about MS or the 360.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 3 Dec 2010 23:02:54 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    heyyo! wrote:
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:

because I'm less naive

calm down mate
  • VandelayIndustries 3 Dec 2010 23:05:25 1,521 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really quite like Sony the publisher. Of all the big publishers Sony seems the least conservative to me.
  • Deleted user 3 December 2010 23:12:37
    I got into the PS1 because I really liked the 3D visuals and the 'cool' games. Cool Boarders, Destruction Derby, Tomb Raider, FF7 etc (I am sure I could think of more if I had a google). Even playing on CDs was a big bonus back then. I think they won many people over with a more adult take on gaming, and they were the first to attempt make it really casual (although that now seems like a rather empty assessment given the Wii).

This never carried over though. I never got into the PS2, it always seemed rather shit after having owned a Dreamcast before the PS2 got good, and even now I don't feel like I missed out. I have barely even played a PS3, and I doubt I will ever own one.
  • Deleted user 3 December 2010 23:15:02
    I never bought a PS2 because I was too busy being a teenager. Only started gaming again when I moved in with the girlfriend and had a free pass to turn into a chub nerd.
  • Deleted user 3 December 2010 23:18:15
    Yeah to be fair the post DC > PS2 period did coincide with me discovering to joys of alcohol, so I did stop gaming a fair bit. I just never liked the thing. Most people seemed more bothered that it could play DVDs than anything else. I loved my Dreamcast, it was so inventive compared to that fucking slab of shit IM STILL BITTER
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous