The best Publisher / Developer at the moment? Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• King_Edward 19 Jan 2011 17:31:03 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    MS are against giving anything away for free.
  • Ultrasoundwave 24 Feb 2011 09:02:19 3,264 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    After reading the piece on the front page, its probably worth giving Thatgamecompany a mention. With both flOw and Flower they offered unique games which provided a very refreshing experience.

Very much looking forward to Journey.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• NOSAVIOUR 24 Feb 2011 09:14:44 2,802 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Publisher EA no doubt - FIFA 11, Hot Pursuit, BC2 Vietnam, Dead Space 2, Bullet Storm, Fight Night, Dragons Age 2, Mass Effect 2 PS3, Crysis 2 to name a few all in a few months. All AAA games and a large marjority are the best in their respective genres.
  • King_Edward 24 Feb 2011 09:42:46 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    All very meh.
  • Ultrasoundwave 25 Feb 2011 13:01:28 3,264 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    All very meh.

Cant agree with that, BC2, Dead Space 2, Mass Effect 2 and Hot Pursuit are four of the best games produced this generation in my opinion!

Going back to developers, seems like People Can Fly will be worth keeping an eye on..........

• Dirtbox 25 Feb 2011 13:03:21 77,453 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They're all over produced money machines. The best developers at the moment are the indie devs because they're not churning out the same generic old bollocks to maximise sales and attach rates or whatever the hell the publishers middle management piss artists are puking out of their fat little cunts at the moment.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Darren 25 Feb 2011 13:34:15 8,696 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Definitely not Microsoft... their lack of exclusives on the Xbox 360 in 2011 (just Forza Motorsport 4 and Gears of War 3 so far, ahem) and complete apathy for the PC (Fable III will be eight months old by the time it hits the PC) means they just get a thumbs down from me! :p

Ubi Soft runied their chances with their god-awful DRM on the PC but otherwise have had some great games in Assassin's Creed II and H.A.W.X. Not enough to get my vote though so...

... I actually think EA have had some great games on both the consoles and PC... FIFA 11, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Dead Space 2, Mass Effect 2... all outstanding games and better still two of them run on the PC without the need for the disc or a NoDVD crack. I like that! Hopefully, Bulletstorm, which I'm still waiting to arrive, will reinforce my opinion of them further.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Darren 25 Feb 2011 13:35:41 8,696 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    P.S. Forgot that EA are publishing Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and Crysis 2 too, all of which are likely to be at least great. With a line-up like that, who else can even compete? I mean seriously?

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• cianchristopher 25 Feb 2011 13:53:28 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I dunno, Activision? ;)

I suppose Bethesda are a pretty cool dev/publisher, what with Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout NV and now Brink, Rage and Skyrim coming out this year.
  • ram 25 Feb 2011 13:55:51 3,471 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    They're all over produced money machines. The best developers at the moment are the indie devs because they're not churning out the same generic old bollocks to maximise sales and attach rates or whatever the hell the publishers middle management piss artists are puking out of their fat little cunts at the moment.

You're going to be one of those desperately bitter persons who stand ranting and raving at their bedroom window whilst waiving a toy gun around and gets themselves dead by Police.
  • Dirtbox 25 Feb 2011 13:58:48 77,453 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Who said I'm not already?

My point still stands though, none of the big publishers care about you, the games or the industry, they just want to milk it to death.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• cianchristopher 25 Feb 2011 14:03:19 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    Definitely not Microsoft... their lack of exclusives on the Xbox 360 in 2011 (just Forza Motorsport 4 and Gears of War 3 so far, ahem)..... means they just get a thumbs down from me! :p

Don't forget that, Uncharted 3/LittleBigPlanet 2 aside, Sony's "exclusive" line-up for 2011 is still worth less than Gears 3/Forza 4, even when you put it all together.

Seriously? Infamous 2? That's about as exciting as Crackdown 2 was.

Yakuza 4? Now you're really scraping the bottom of the barrell!

DC Universe Online? There's nothing "AAA" about that!

SOCOM 4? Jesus, are we gonna start counting this shit now?

Resistance 3? After the last two, who in their right mind even gives a shit about this?

Finally, Killzone 3 and Motorstorm Apocalypse - kinda cool games, but both will be eclipsed by lots of multiplatform games this year anyway.

Oooohhh, exciting, isn't it?
  • Pike 25 Feb 2011 14:03:40 13,448 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not that I really buy many of the games they publish, but I still have to put Paradox forward for consideration. I like their focus on niche PC titles, even if most of what they realese usually fall outside of what I tend to look for.
  • Ultrasoundwave 25 Feb 2011 14:43:02 3,264 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Darren wrote:
    Definitely not Microsoft... their lack of exclusives on the Xbox 360 in 2011 (just Forza Motorsport 4 and Gears of War 3 so far, ahem)..... means they just get a thumbs down from me! :p

Don't forget that, Uncharted 3/LittleBigPlanet 2 aside, Sony's "exclusive" line-up for 2011 is still worth less than Gears 3/Forza 4, even when you put it all together.

Seriously? Infamous 2? That's about as exciting as Crackdown 2 was.

Yakuza 4? Now you're really scraping the bottom of the barrell!

DC Universe Online? There's nothing "AAA" about that!

SOCOM 4? Jesus, are we gonna start counting this shit now?

Resistance 3? After the last two, who in their right mind even gives a shit about this?

Finally, Killzone 3 and Motorstorm Apocalypse - kinda cool games, but both will be eclipsed by lots of multiplatform games this year anyway.

Oooohhh, exciting, isn't it?

Not the best argument to be honest..........you've mentioned 9 exclusives there, how many exclusives do Microsoft have coming out for the 360 this year?.
    You've got to give credit to DC Universe too, despite its faults, it offers an MMO experience to PS3 owners........what MMO can 360 owners play?.
    I own both consoles, but its plain to see that Sony are putting more effort into exclusives this year. You also forgot to mention The Last Guardian and Journey, two games with massive potential.

• Jazzy_Geoff 25 Feb 2011 14:45:44 7,767 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    why would you put LBP and UC aside given that they are both sequels to EG GOTYs?
  • FuzzyDuck 25 Feb 2011 15:22:16 3,887 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    EA are doing the biz for sure. Project $10 is a nasty piece of work, but the quality of the software it comes with cannot be disputed.

Developer? That'd be Platinum Games.
  • cowell 25 Feb 2011 17:28:53 675 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Platinum Games gets a vote definitely, but props to EA - I've enjoyed Mirrors Edge, Dead Space 1 & 2, FIFA, Brutal Legend, NFS Hot Pursuit in recent years. I dont think EA is the big bogeyman of the industry it once was. Acti-Blizz probably has that crown now
  • Ultrasoundwave 28 Feb 2011 10:10:47 3,264 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Another great game from EA in Bulletstorm, their hot streak continues!!, with Crysis 2 at the end of the month also, their showing no signs of slowing down.

Well done to People Can Fly too, a great effort. Skillshot is amazing, the weapons are ridiculous and fantastic and they pushed the Unreal engine to its maximum. Brilliant job.

• Ultrasoundwave 2 Mar 2011 11:11:10 3,264 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    EA are doing the biz for sure. Project $10 is a nasty piece of work, but the quality of the software it comes with cannot be disputed.

Hopefully, with Crytek rejecting the Online Pass for Crysis 2, it will slowly start to disappear.

EA dropped the price of Dead Space 2 from 40 to 20 a week after release, which is a much better way to comabt the second-hand market in my opinion. If they start doing that more often they will sell a fuckload more games.

• cianchristopher 2 Mar 2011 11:20:15 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Was it EA who did that (dropping the Dead Space 2 price)?

I picked up the game myself yesterday for 30 (that's as close to the 20 price point we get in Euroland). But, I thought that sales must've been extremely disappointing or something, and that's why it was discounted. Didn't know that EA were the ones behind that.

They're doing very well these days, since RicciTikki took over (was that in 2007). The focus on quality has produced some great results.
  • Ultrasoundwave 2 Mar 2011 12:54:29 3,264 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Was it EA who did that (dropping the Dead Space 2 price)?

I picked up the game myself yesterday for 30 (that's as close to the 20 price point we get in Euroland). But, I thought that sales must've been extremely disappointing or something, and that's why it was discounted. Didn't know that EA were the ones behind that.

They're doing very well these days, since RicciTikki took over (was that in 2007). The focus on quality has produced some great results.

Im pretty sure it went straight in at number 1 in the charts when it came out and it was number 6 in the chart last week (up against Bulletstorm, KZ3, COD and FIFA) which is still very good.

I remember going on Shopto about a week after it came out and it was down to 25........couldnt believe it!. The last game to suffer such a dramatic drop in price so quickly was Fallout : New Vegas, which could be picked up for 20 brand new about 5 days after it launched.

John Riccitiello is probably the most important guy working in the game industry at the moment. The difference between him and Kotick is astronomical.

• SomaticSense 2 Mar 2011 12:59:56 7,919 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:

Um, Platinum?

You can hardly say they are "churning out the same generic old bollocks to maximise sales and attach rates or whatever the hell the publishers middle management piss artists are puking out of their fat little cunts". They are focusing on making games that are pure fun and are at the absolute peak of their respective genres, but which sell like crap.

I agree with the championing of indie devs right now though. It's the best time since the early Eighties for the 'bedroom coder'.
  • SomaticSense 2 Mar 2011 13:01:30 7,919 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:John Riccitiello is probably the most important guy working in the game industry at the moment. The difference between him and Kotick is astronomical.

Um, not entirely, no.
  • Ultrasoundwave 2 Mar 2011 13:16:31 3,264 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:John Riccitiello is probably the most important guy working in the game industry at the moment. The difference between him and Kotick is astronomical.

Um, not entirely, no.

EA - Dead Space 2 is 40 at launch, then available for 25 a week after release. DLC is released which costs 560 MS points.

Activision - Black Ops is 45 at launch and is still 30-40 a few months after release. DLC is released which costs 1200 MS points.

Dont even get me started on the shut-down of Bizarre............Riccitiello and Kotick are both money men, but at least Riccitiello strikes me as someone who also has a genuine interest in gaming. The only black mark i can put against EA since Riccitiello took over is the introduction of the Online Pass.

Hopefully Crytek rejecting it is the beginning of the end for it though.

• Deleted user 2 March 2011 14:05:30
    To me Rockstar and Naughty Dog are the only great devs. They produce top quality games each and every time and don't milk series like Acti and EA.

EA have been good this gen but for every Mass Effect there is Fifa, Madden and the online pass which was a very dirty tactic.
  • King_Edward 2 Mar 2011 15:04:31 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

SomaticSense wrote:

Um, not entirely, no.

EA - Dead Space 2 is 40 at launch, then available for 25 a week after release. DLC is released which costs 560 MS points.

Activision - Black Ops is 45 at launch and is still 30-40 a few months after release. DLC is released which costs 1200 MS points.

Dont even get me started on the shut-down of Bizarre............Riccitiello and Kotick are both money men, but at least Riccitiello strikes me as someone who also has a genuine interest in gaming. The only black mark i can put against EA since Riccitiello took over is the introduction of the Online Pass.

Hopefully Crytek rejecting it is the beginning of the end for it though.

What about EA closing Pandemic? Or Prototype being in bargain bins across the country weeks after it's release, despite strong sales?

They're both a shower of bastards.

• Deleted user 2 March 2011 15:07:32
    Activision.......... sorry i couldnt actually write that with a straight face.

For me the publisher is EA as the amount of consistantly great games they have released and the ones they have coming are just the best. Portal 2, ME 3, BF 3 just loads.

Best Developer is Naughty Dog for successfully bringing back the pulp genre with Uncharted.
  • LionheartDJH 2 Mar 2011 15:14:00 19,359 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

EA dropped the price of Dead Space 2 from 40 to 20 a week after release, which is a much better way to comabt the second-hand market in my opinion. If they start doing that more often they will sell a fuckload more games.

I agree, but will they actually make as much money? If they did that more often then people would suspect when one of their new titles came out that it'd be almost half price within a few weeks and just wait to buy it at a lower price. I've always thought that releasing more games at a lower price point would help increase sales and lower the attraction of the second hand market, but delving into it a bit deeper it obviously becomes more complex as you have to take into consideration the value of sales aswell as amount of them, and then pricing itself and its relation to perceived quality.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Kanjin 2 Mar 2011 15:25:18 1,051 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Obsidian. All their games are flawed, all of them are wonders.
  • Ultrasoundwave 2 Mar 2011 18:16:43 3,264 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Kanjin wrote:
    Obsidian. All their games are flawed, all of them are wonders.

I wouldnt even say their flawed, i prefer misunderstood :D

Obsidian are quite brilliant. The more people that play Alpha Protocol and Fallout : New Vegas the better.

• Page

of 5 First / Last