The best Publisher / Developer at the moment? Page 5

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Next
  • spamdangled 30 Nov 2012 22:55:07 27,356 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    On balance it has and almost always is Nintendo. Whatever you think of their hardware, they consistently put out "excellent" games at a far higher ratio than they do "decent" or average, and I can't think of many examples of "disaster" games other than that 3d scope lunacy.

The others regularly publish or develop so many games that the signal:noise is too high, whilst being so reliant on safe sequels that they actively come across as resisting gameplay innovation on a consistent basis (thinking specifically of Ubi, EA and Acti here)

Edited by darkmorgado at 23:01:18 30-11-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 30 November 2012 22:59:03
    They haven't done anything worth caring about for years.

They may have the quality but they have become boring.
  • spamdangled 30 Nov 2012 23:03:44 27,356 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    They haven't done anything worth caring about for years.

They may have the quality but they have become boring.
    Mario Galaxy. Near universal critical and user acclaim and regularly cited so shortly after release (and has stuck with time) as one of the best games ever made.

In fact, look at a list of historically best multiplatform games at any point, and Nintendo has a huge tendency to dominate the top 20.

Edited by darkmorgado at 23:04:09 30-11-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Gambit1977 30 Nov 2012 23:14:19 9,781 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mario galaxy 1 and 2 are hardly 'nothing games' it has to be said.

Nintendo, Valve, Naughty Dog/Sony, and an honourable mention must go to Ubisoft. Started the generation quite strongly then disappeared up their own arse, only to reemerge stronger.
  • munki83 30 Nov 2012 23:17:04 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nintendo are an awesome publisher/developer. However I really like atlus they are keeping gaming interesting by brining us lots of odd/weird awesome games that most publishers wouldn't touch
  • Deleted user 30 November 2012 23:22:58
    Mario Galaxy came out 5 years ago, hence nothing interesting for years.
  • Deleted user 30 November 2012 23:23:58
    darkmorgado wrote:
    In fact, look at a list of historically best multiplatform games at any point, and Nintendo has a huge tendency to dominate the top 20.
    Dunno what this gibberish is, soz.
  • King_Edward 30 Nov 2012 23:54:30 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sega/Platinum, by a vast distance. Anarchy Reigns isn't out yet so they're not finished yet. :)
  • Deleted user 1 December 2012 01:59:02
    Aargh. wrote:
    Mario Galaxy came out 5 years ago, hence nothing interesting for years.
    lol
  • Deleted user 1 December 2012 01:59:24
    King_Edward wrote:
    Platinum, by a vast distance. Anarchy Reigns isn't out yet so they're not finished yet. :)
    fixed :)
  • lavalant 1 Dec 2012 14:44:26 1,328 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Best publisher I'd say Nintendo and Valve, honorable mention goes to Warner Brothers.

EA are still bottom of my shit list.
  • King_Edward 1 Dec 2012 14:53:46 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shouldn't that be top of the shitlist?
  • HelloNo 2 Dec 2012 22:45:23 1,125 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bethesda are doing OK. So it was a different part that did Skyrim and more recently Dishonoured, but they've done some good stuff recently.

How about THQ? The recent bundle might be a bad idea for indie developers everywhere, but it might be a good sign for them.
  • ResidentKnievel 2 Dec 2012 22:57:55 6,216 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nintendo are so-so nowadays, they haven't had a 100% hit rate since the time of the Gamecube. Yes, they still release quality titles now and again, but most of their gaming output now is alright cash-ins and dumbed down crap.

Has to be Platinum for best modern day developer, they've continually made great and original games since their birth.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• RobTheBuilder 2 Dec 2012 23:04:25 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ResidentKnievel I don't think Nintendo have ever had a 100% hit rate, but the hits have been so good as to not matter!

Agree Platinum have probably the best release to quality level though.
  • Triggerhappytel 2 Dec 2012 23:06:41 2,695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd say Platinum Games; will be interesting to finally see Anarchy Reigns and Metal Gear Rising in January. They have pretty much made excellent games since the company began, and even further back if you count Clover Studio as well. A few honourable mentions go to CD Projekt, Naughty Dog and Valve. Probably From Software too, although I haven't played Armoured Core V.

For publisher, I honestly couldn't say at the moment. There are lots which are very good like Sony, Microsoft, Bethesda and Ubisoft, but they all publish the odd turkey and piss me off with their general wanky business side of things too.
  • Ultrasoundwave 9 Jan 2013 10:54:30 3,319 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Regarding yesterdays news, i'd personally be gutted to see EA acquire THQ's IP's.

Like others have said, they would most likely go after Saints Row and Metro, both of which would no doubt end up with tacked-on multiplayer bollocks.

Tough times for THQ.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• MetalDog 9 Jan 2013 10:59:49 23,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bethesda, Valve, Double Fine and Naughty Dog all pretty strong contenders for my money. If I had to pick just one... hmm... Bethesda. Or Valve. Bethesdavalve.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Bremenacht 9 Jan 2013 23:52:12 18,458 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PopCap
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Next