Need for speed : Shift 2 - Unleashed

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous
  • Ultrasoundwave 30 Nov 2010 17:42:25 3,398 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Don't get me started on the title!

Couldn't find a thread for this so here we go. The developer is talking about taking on GT5 and Forza 3, but the biggest competitor in my opinion is the current NFS : Hot Pursuit, which is probably the most fun I've had with a racing game.

Anyone excited for NFS:S2-U?

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• secombe 30 Nov 2010 18:52:05 1,332 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Despite being a circuit racer I always thought Shift was lacking in traditional circuits, the emphasis on street circuits just didn't do it for me.

It all feels too safe, aiming for the sim crowd but packing it full of NFS concepts to make it easier to market.

Go full-on with proper circuits and proper race-cars and I think they're onto something. Console gamers are also massively lacking in classic car racing, such a shame as the likes of Lotus Cortinas, Minis etc are infinitely more enjoyable to drive, GT Legends proved that.
  • shamblemonkee 30 Nov 2010 18:54:11 14,601 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    got a lot of convincing to do to persuade me to buy after the mess that was NFS:Sh1t.
  • Deleted user 30 November 2010 18:57:07
    It's a pretty safe market to "take on". GT5 is PS3 only and Forza 3 is a little old now. I'm sure if it's half decent it'll do pretty well. I'm certainly open minded about it.
  • Ultrasoundwave 1 Dec 2010 08:54:44 3,398 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    got a lot of convincing to do to persuade me to buy after the mess that was NFS:Sh1t.

I also thought the original Shift was rubbish, i played it for a few hours in the hope that it would get better but it remained painfully average.

The good reviews (and the EXTREME confidence of the developer for the sequel) seem a bit odd to me.

• SomaticSense 1 Dec 2010 13:37:06 8,983 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are they fixing the handling?

If not, no deal.
  • Ultrasoundwave 13 Jan 2011 15:46:35 3,398 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    from the front page :

"Slightly Mad Studios' simulation racer Shift 2: Unleashed will launch in the UK on 25th March, the rest of Europe on 24th March and in the US on 29th March."

Quite surprised by that myself, thought it would have been much later in the year. Very interested to see if its a Gran Turismo / Forza beater.........or at least a worthy competitor.

• cianchristopher 13 Jan 2011 15:56:56 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The original Shift had 65 cars and 18 tracks. For me, that's probably more than enough, but in the Forza/GT space the numbers on the back of the box are very important to a lot of people.

They'll have to up it considerably, to 500 cars and 50 tracks, or something, to get the attention of the sim crowd.
  • AaronTurner 13 Jan 2011 16:01:08 7,856 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think the sim crowd are bothered by car numbers, maybe track numbers.
  • Deleted user 13 January 2011 16:09:41
    Handling is key for sim racers, from the handling in the demo I had no idea who Shift was aimed at, it was stuck in no mans land between the two extremes of simulation and arcade.
  • frugtkompot 14 Jan 2011 10:55:50 2,819 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's a new trailer, and it's mindblowingly awesome.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/track-disaster-shift-2/709252
  • frugtkompot 14 Jan 2011 10:56:23 2,819 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't understand why they'd release it in March already? That'll be just 6 months after Hot Pursuit.
  • cianchristopher 14 Jan 2011 11:11:18 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's not carrying the Need for Speed label anymore. My guess is that EA want to turn the word Shift (on its own) into a new brand, to compete with Forza and Gran Turismo.

It's a good idea, as a cross-platform game can easily match exclusives for quality if done right. And they can make a lot more money too.

The actual name for the game is Shift 2: Unleashed. Not Need for Speed: Shift 2 - Unleashed.
  • CosmicFuzz 14 Jan 2011 11:11:29 25,305 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    March! Too soon!! Release it in summer.

How patches are ruining the future of gaming My thoughts.

• frugtkompot 14 Jan 2011 11:25:48 2,819 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    It's not carrying the Need for Speed label anymore. My guess is that EA want to turn the word Shift (on its own) into a new brand, to compete with Forza and Gran Turismo.

It's a good idea, as a cross-platform game can easily match exclusives for quality if done right. And they can make a lot more money too.

The actual name for the game is Shift 2: Unleashed. Not Need for Speed: Shift 2 - Unleashed.

That's interesting. Their release schedule does make sense then :)

Based on this trailer it does look like they want to distinguish it from Forza / Gran Turismo too. It's much more visceral and "in your face".
  • shamblemonkee 14 Jan 2011 11:31:57 14,601 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did we see the same trailer?

The gameplay trailer on Eg shows someone driving badly, going off track, drifting the car in what appears to be a normal GT style race, there's masses of blur and screen shake and not one element of 'sim handling' to be seen...

looked to me as if they'd shunted this firmly into arcade racer territory, which begs the question 'why?' they already have NFS for that, shift was supposed to be the sim alternative....
  • frugtkompot 14 Jan 2011 11:44:08 2,819 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Isn't that awfully difficult to say based on a 20 second first-footage clip?
  • shamblemonkee 14 Jan 2011 11:51:13 14,601 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Probably, but if the first gameplay trailer you push out is not representative of the gameplay experience you're going for then what is it for.

Certainly looks like they aren't trying to capture the Forza / GT crowd with that.
  • frugtkompot 14 Jan 2011 11:54:43 2,819 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So are you basically saying you'd prefer a carbon copy of Forza / GT ahead of a unique take on a simulation racer?

If anything, Need for Speed looks to go in the direction of Burnout'ish gameplay, and that at least is not what you're finding in this gameplay footage.
  • AaronTurner 14 Jan 2011 12:00:16 7,856 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I agree with Shamblemonkee, the first footage is disappoinying and the handling looks similar to the first game.
  • corstick 14 Jan 2011 12:50:27 3,263 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ultimately, I'm not sure EA have the balls to do a proper sim racer. I don't know how much truth there is to it but I did read that the first game underwent last minute changes to make it casual friendly which is why the handling was all over the place. Considering the pedigree of the developers (significant roles in the early Simbin games), it's such a waste.

Pity really because a Forza style game with GTR2 handling and racing could be amazing.
  • cianchristopher 14 Jan 2011 13:05:46 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I guess, but I think the handling in Forza is pretty amazing as it is (I play it with the Xbox 360 wheel (and sometimes the pad, when I can't be arsed to set up the wheel)).

It's got my favourite handling out of any racing game I've ever playd.
  • SomaticSense 14 Jan 2011 13:08:20 8,983 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vertical Stand wrote:
    Handling is key for sim racers, from the handling in the demo I had no idea who Shift was aimed at, it was stuck in no mans land between the two extremes of simulation and arcade.

I don't think that was the problem. It's entirely feasible to have handling that straddles the two extremes and have it feel fun, simmy, and just feel right all at the same time. Look at the PGR games, the handling for those crossed both extremes and yet still felt perfect.

I gave the Shift demo another go the other day, and the handling felt wrong on so many levels. Weighty and yet feather light at the same time, way too unresponsive, virtually zero grip, and the braking seemed to veer between too unresponsive at times and others almost instant. It doesn't 'straddle' the two genres, it veers between them at seemingly random moments giving it an unpredictable feeling. It's about the only racing game(either sim or arcade) in years now that I've not been able to figure out the handling and to be able to take clean lines around a circuit even after putting a decent amount of time into it. I find it impossible to race a clean lap purely because of the schizophrenic handling.

I was playing using a controller so maybe that was the reason. Maybe it works fantastic using a wheel. But when easily 95% of the gamers likely to buy and play the game will be using controllers, it's something they need to fix.
  • cianchristopher 14 Jan 2011 13:12:05 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I play Need for Speed Shift on PC, and I've never had a problem with it. The handling's not as good as Forza, true. But I don't think it's bad. I can race around on a 360 pad, with assists turned off, and still have clean laps.

And the cockpit view is so far ahead of every other cockpit view I've used in any other game. It's totally great.
  • AaronTurner 14 Jan 2011 13:15:53 7,856 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The handling in shift is awful, it's unresponsive, difficult to understand and take cues from, the cars slide around every corner and veer left and right on the straights.

To be honest though I'm not a massive fan of the Simbin games either, I find Race 07 fairly dull and uninteresting to drive.
  • SomaticSense 14 Jan 2011 13:24:37 8,983 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    The handling's not as good as Forza, true. But I don't think it's bad. I can race around on a 360 pad, with assists turned off, and still have clean laps.

I beg to differ.

I honestly can't name a major racing game released in the last decade with worse handling. It's like driving an Andros Trophy racer on salt flats.
  • BillMurray 14 Jan 2011 13:29:55 7,868 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    The handling in shift is awful, it's unresponsive, difficult to understand and take cues from, the cars slide around every corner and veer left and right on the straights.

+1, sadly.
  • Deleted user 14 January 2011 13:33:55
    After a while it clicks but it's a bit weird. I got to the stage I could absolutely hammer laps perfectly without trouble.

I suggest a pint of MTFU.
  • corstick 14 Jan 2011 13:35:47 3,263 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Simbin games since GTR2 have been a bit lacking. Ironically, ever since the team now making Shift split off to form their own studio.

Re: Forza - the handling is ok (although I preferred 2 over 3 which had too much steering assistance for my taste) but not a patch on the old PC sims. Where it really falls down is on the race experience itself. It feels very flat and lacking in intensity. More like an episode of Top Gear than an actual race.

Shift can barely even be considered a driving game. The cars certainly didn't drive like any I've ever known.

At least GTR3 and Rfactor 2 will be released this year so there won't be a lack of options for good racing.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous