Binary Domain

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • Rauha 30 Nov 2010 09:16:41 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    In an interview printed in this week's edition of Famitsu magazine, Toshihiro Nagoshi -- the world-renowned director of the Yakuza series for Sega -- gave the first word on the new game his studio's working on. It's called Binary Domain, it's being made for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and apparently it's a bit of a change of pace for the game producer.

According to Nagoshi, Binary Domain will be a science-fictiony game involving robots, with most of the gameplay centered around online combat. The game is being produced with the international marketplace in mind, but the game itself takes place in Tokyo circa 2080, and Nagoshi was quick to point out that the game does not mean he's turning his back on Japan's gamers.

Gameplay details were extremely scant in the interview, sadly. Nagoshi stated that Binary Domain is his shot at making online gaming as fun as possible, with enemy AI that's more complex than anything his studio has attempted before and gameplay that emphasizes teamwork between characters. The visuals accompanying the article were mostly cutscene shots and the like, but one gameplay-like scene showed action from a third-person shooter perspective, not unlike what Nagoshi and crew are doing with Ryu ga Gotoku Of The End.
    - 1up

Promo Vid hits later tonight in the US.
  • Blerk Moderator 30 Nov 2010 10:00:17 48,225 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    360? Surprising!

I heard a rumour yesterday about a monk punching robots. Which obviously sounds awesome.
  • King_Edward 30 Nov 2010 11:05:32 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This'll be the next Vanquish. Mark my words.

Nah, it'll be shit
  • Rauha 30 Nov 2010 11:18:47 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:

Nah, it'll be shit

Harsh, but from the info we know at the moment, probably true. This is what worries me:

but one gameplay-like scene showed action from a third-person shooter perspective, not unlike what Nagoshi and crew are doing with Ryu ga Gotoku Of The End.

For the 'The End' it'll work fine, since the Yakuza series has always had many other distractions outside of combat. But basing an entire game around shonky shooting mechanics (assuming the description is accurate) will be embarrasing.

Yakuza 3's gun sections were very short, therefore forgivable. Still it is Nagoshi and Sega, so fingers crossed :)
  • Rauha 1 Dec 2010 09:41:04 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    :(

Here's the trailer: http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/yakuza-dev-announces-binary-domain

Japan does Terminator.
  • Blerk Moderator 1 Dec 2010 09:49:20 48,225 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That looks more than a little 'shonky'. And not very interesting. Where's the punching monk?
  • Rauha 1 Dec 2010 09:55:29 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hopefully :) It's free-roaming around futurist Tokyo, with Hostess bars, Clubs, Arcades, Sports areas, and general places for side activities.

Yakuza: Binary Domain.

/Dreams
  • TakeTheVeil 1 Dec 2010 10:02:05 5,058 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Robot troopers look exactly like the ones in "I, Robot".

Looks like its built on the Unreal Engine
  • King_Edward 1 Dec 2010 10:40:27 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rauha wrote:
    :(

Here's the trailer: http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/yakuza-dev-announces-binary-domain

Japan does Terminator.
    Not a good trailer. :(
    Hopefully you get to play as the robots, since they are infinityly more likable then the humans.
  • Rauha 1 Dec 2010 10:44:55 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SEGA is pleased to announce Binary Domain, an original squad-based shooter by Toshihiro Nagoshi, the creator behind some of SEGA’s most well-known video game franchises, including the critically acclaimed Yakuza series. Binary Domain puts players in the middle of a fast-paced and intense battle for humanity in robot-invaded 2080 Tokyo. Fighting through the derelict lower levels of the city, players control an international peace-keeping squad that soon starts to question their surroundings and the choices they are making. Are the robots becoming more human, or are humans becoming more like machines?

Message from Toshihiro Nagoshi

Nagoshi-san has provided a description in his own words, that speaks to the overall game design and philosophy behind Binary Domain. Please read on:

Usually games have a simple theme, but if we aim to maximize the appeal of a game as interactive entertainment, we need to develop more sophisticated themes that tie into every aspect of the game. I have made many attempts to link a game heavy in drama to a highly enjoyable and immersive gameplay experience and with Binary Domain every setting and mechanic in the game is designed to revolve around “Life”.

To further visualize this idea, I started to create “Binary Domain”. The core concept of this game from the beginning is life; the project code name from the start was in fact “Inochi”, which means “life” in Japanese. The most distinctive way of differentiating a creature from a machine is “life”. However, we also know that machines can be given a form of life when created by man. Is it possible that the differentiation is becoming less clear and machines are actually becoming more like humans?

One of the key elements of this is the pursuit of strong and differentiated human AND robot AI. Aiming to have the world’s best AI was essential to bring a true realisation of the concept of life to the players, through the story and the action within the gameplay. The inclusion of online modes has allowed us to transform the game from a mere battle field into a field of survival.

Additionally, the game is set in Tokyo in the year 2080. This was important to realise the theme of life as it’s where we (the development team) are actually living as we tell the story of this drama. I decided to combine this with a deep human drama with science fiction, despite most science fiction games being cold and clinical.

Finally, and best of all, I am working with the Yakuza team who are all excited to take on this new challenge and we are hoping that the technique and pride developed on the Yakuza series will move up to a new level.

That’s all I can tell you now, but I’m sure the game will amaze you in the near future more than you could imagine.

Don’t miss it!

Toshihiro Nagoshi

Don't do it Nagoshi, Japan's been down this road far too many times, there is only bargain bin sales and dishonour :(
  • Cappy 1 Dec 2010 10:54:32 11,832 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You'll all be proved wrong when Mindjack is released! ;-D

The glorious golden age of the shonky Japanese third person online multi-player shooter is upon us! I'll see you in 2012 when Western developers such as Epic and Naughty Dog ask 'where did we go wrong?'.
  • Rauha 1 Dec 2010 10:58:37 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Urgh.

/shudders
  • Rauha 1 Dec 2010 11:46:34 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nagoshi should go all the way, Bayonetta style, throw in all the cheese. In this case, I think full retard might be for the best.
  • King_Edward 1 Dec 2010 19:18:05 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There's still hope. He didn't mention the phrase "western audience" once...
  • Cappy 2 Dec 2010 13:51:33 11,832 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some new screenshots.

It's looking worse than Hitler so far, I only got half way through the trailer before a cringe response to all the cheesy grandstanding forced me to close it.
  • Blerk Moderator 2 Dec 2010 13:53:19 48,225 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I especially like the little "you're a woman, therefore you can't shoot and shouldn't you be in the kitchen?" jibe at the start of the trailer.
  • Rauha 2 Dec 2010 13:59:48 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We've had a few Terminator games now and they've all been shit. Japan wants a turn :(

King_Edward wrote:
    There's still hope. He didn't mention the phrase "western audience" once...

"The game is being produced with the international marketplace in mind"

:D - Game over.
  • Rauha 28 Apr 2011 19:14:46 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Watching the trailer on the front page. You know it could actually be good (or maybe the trailer is very decieving!).

5 player online co-op could be cool. Vanquish + Socom. An unlikely combo.
  • Deleted user 28 April 2011 19:23:49
    Good trailer, almost wipes away the Konami E3 levels of unintentional hilarity in its debut. Almost. The gameplay shows promise as do the larger mecha designs, but the human characters and I Robot rip offs could still do with a redesign.

Biggest gripe is that SEGA are funding this instead of saving pennies in a big jar to greenlight Vanquish 2.

Senior members of the team may have left for Tango and it bombed but the fact remains that the third person cover shooter already has a grandmaster, allbeit a poor homeless one people ignore on the street.
  • phAge 15 Jul 2011 17:49:06 24,337 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Weapons trailer.

Looks cool.
  • King_Edward 15 Jul 2011 17:54:37 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Looks soul shatteringly like Gears. :'(

Nagoshi's studio's never got it wrong before though. I still have hope!
  • phAge 16 Jul 2011 12:40:09 24,337 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:

Are we really at the point where every 3rd person shooter utilising some sort of cover mechanic "looks like Gears"? The story is different, the characters are different, the art direction is different, the weapons are different - in fact, the only Gears-y thing about it is that your character can crouch behind stuff and shoot from behind obstacles.

Not meaning to sound harsh, but I just don't get these comparisons between games with so little in common and so much to differentiate them.
  • Syrette 16 Jul 2011 12:41:43 43,108 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gears looks like Operation Winback.

• King_Edward 16 Jul 2011 13:14:12 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:

Are we really at the point where every 3rd person shooter utilising some sort of cover mechanic "looks like Gears"? The story is different, the characters are different, the art direction is different, the weapons are different - in fact, the only Gears-y thing about it is that your character can crouch behind stuff and shoot from behind obstacles.

Not meaning to sound harsh, but I just don't get these comparisons between games with so little in common and so much to differentiate them.
    It looks like you spend 90% of the game crouched behind a wall. Like Gears.

Story, characters and art direction can do one for all I care. As for the weapons? It looks like a fairly standard spread of ones that shoot fast, ones that shoot slow, and ones that blow up. Like Gears.

I didn't see any of Vanquish's flair or Uncharted's mobility in those gameplay vids. Or anything to distinguish it from the most mundane stroll through futuristic war torn tedium. Like Gears.

Like I said, I'm hopeful because of the team making it. But from they've shown, it looks like Gears.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 16 Jul 2011 13:16:44 25,430 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rocket Launchers!

Sniper Rifles!

Grenades!

Wow...
  • phAge 16 Jul 2011 13:49:03 24,337 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    phAge wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:

It looks like you spend 90% of the game crouched behind a wall. Like Gears.

Story, characters and art direction can do one for all I care. As for the weapons? It looks like a fairly standard spread of ones that shoot fast, ones that shoot slow, and ones that blow up. Like Gears.

I didn't see any of Vanquish's flair or Uncharted's mobility in those gameplay vids. Or anything to distinguish it from the most mundane stroll through futuristic war torn tedium. Like Gears.

Like I said, I'm hopeful because of the team making it. But from they've shown, it looks like Gears.
    Uncharted? Isn't that that Tomb Raider clone of yesteryear? I hear they're making another one, with the same tired old weapons, gameplay and art direction. YAWN.
  • silentbob 16 Jul 2011 14:03:08 28,950 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks like Gears.

Also, LOL @ weak-ass Uncharted troll.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• RedSparrows 16 Jul 2011 14:36:01 22,071 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LOL at you all.

I HAATEEEEE YOUUGHGHH

/anakin
  • JoeGBallad 31 Aug 2011 10:38:14 383 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We actually had a wee look at the Binary Domain trailer and recorded our thoughts on Youtube for you all to, er, enjoy I suppose. Pleas edon't kill me!

Trailer Time!

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• Deleted user 31 August 2011 10:42:55
    Gay hobbits!!

:D
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous