The all-new Premier League thread Page 3325

• Page

of 5246 First / Last

• Dougs 10 Mar 2013 22:06:40 66,588 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Never understood why a fan would rather want their team finishing 4th than win a trophy.
    Because they are dumb.
    I don't think fans really want that, it's more that it's more important to the clubs and players. Despite all the rhetoric, "top, top players" won't join the league cups or FA Cup winners unless they are in the CL or at least have A good chance of making top 4. Sad but that's money for you. The 2 should go hand in hand of course.
  • captbirdseye 10 Mar 2013 22:29:25 4,782 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Never understood why a fan would rather want their team finishing 4th than win a trophy.
    Because they are dumb.
    I don't think fans really want that, it's more that it's more important to the clubs and players. Despite all the rhetoric, "top, top players" won't join the league cups or FA Cup winners unless they are in the CL or at least have A good chance of making top 4. Sad but that's money for you. The 2 should go hand in hand of course.
    Really? I'd be suprised if a player said they'd rather not win a trophy and play CL. Medals and trophies are all that should matter, but maybe i'm being a bit romantic. Glad i don't support a top 6 team tbh if this is what happens.
  • President_Weasel 10 Mar 2013 22:32:35 8,927 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    It's Europe's 2nd trophy, so is rightly something to win, but the disparity between the CL and EL is silly and the lack of cash means it becomes a low priority. Sad that it comes down to cash for lost clubs, but see also the FA and League cups.
    They should make it for cup winners only and make it a pure knockout competition. Suddenly cups are important again, and if you don't give the Champions League clubs a trapdoor into it it's not so obviously the "shit backup cup" any more.
  • captbirdseye 10 Mar 2013 22:35:39 4,782 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    It's Europe's 2nd trophy, so is rightly something to win, but the disparity between the CL and EL is silly and the lack of cash means it becomes a low priority. Sad that it comes down to cash for lost clubs, but see also the FA and League cups.
    They should make it for cup winners only and make it a pure knockout competition. Suddenly cups are important again, and if you don't give the Champions League clubs a trapdoor into it it's not so obviously the "shit backup cup" any more.
    One of the worst things they did with the competition was letting CL losers drop down in to it.
  • kentmonkey 10 Mar 2013 22:36:47 20,413 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    This makes so much sense, and is wanted by so many fans, that it's not going to happen. It's just not.
  • Dougs 10 Mar 2013 23:19:57 66,588 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aye, the CWC was a great competition for that very reason. If they expanded the CL, it might happen. But thinking about it, Platini wants more reach in the CL, not more clubs from the same top 4 leagues. Totally agree that letting CL clubs drop down is insane.

As for trophies, players never say that but ultimately, if you go to a club challenging for top 4, you'll get more cash. Which is really what it's all about. I'd love to see the cups mean more to the clubs, but those with small squads immediately prioritise staying up etc.
  • Dougs 10 Mar 2013 23:23:16 66,588 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, and Stephen Taylor is a bit of a Twat eh? That was totally unnecessary, surprised Begovic didn't lump him one.
  • captbirdseye 10 Mar 2013 23:32:54 4,782 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fingers crossed Stoke get dragged into the relegation battle.
  • teamHAM 11 Mar 2013 00:05:03 2,742 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Oh, and Stephen Taylor is a bit of a Twat eh? That was totally unnecessary, surprised Begovic didn't lump him one.
    To be fair, Stoke are totally unnecessary.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Deleted user 11 March 2013 00:05:08
    It's unlikely, but Newcastle getting dragged down again would be nice too. They made some pretty good signings in Jan though so its very unlikely.
  • teamHAM 11 Mar 2013 00:08:42 2,742 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    President_Weasel wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    This makes so much sense, and is wanted by so many fans, that it's not going to happen. It's just not.
    Yup, that mechanic is utter garbage. Either give the competition more money and make it entirely independent of the Champions League, or scrap it and make the Champions League bigger. As it is they've done neither and the difference between them is staggering in terms of finance and prestige.

• speedofthepuma 11 Mar 2013 00:14:02 13,266 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The teams that care about European competition outside of the champions league are the ones who know they don't really ever stand a chance of getting into the champions league, therefore the Europa cup should be made up of the sides that narrowly avoided relegation. And the Scottish champions.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• Ultrasoundwave 11 Mar 2013 09:17:25 3,264 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    To be fair, Stoke are totally unnecessary.
    Fantastic!

Great result though, however, really disappointing that we needed Stoke to score before we decided to play.

Special mentions : Rob Elliot, who is looking solid. We're not really missing Krul at all to be honest.

Yanga-Mbiwa looks the real deal - if we hadnt got him in January then it would have been Williamson for the last 10 games and we probably would have been nailed on for relegation.

Sissoko gets better every week, runs all day and has great strength.

Finally, Cabaye. Oh Captain, my Captain!, has been excellent for the last month or so and he seems to be enjoying the captains role. If Colo does decide to go in the summer, having Yanga-Mbiwa at the back replacing him and having Cabaye take his place as Captain is not a bad back up plan!

Ahzni and Wigan next - you realise football is a strange game when you're more optimistic about playing Ahzni than Wigan..... :confused:

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• kalel 11 Mar 2013 09:18:42 86,240 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    Blakester wrote:
    Liverpool are such flat-track bullies.

Nice one Kalel, just the jinx we needed!
    Yeah, this match really proved that one wrong. Good point.
    Perhaps, but it is the sort of snide comment that's always likely to come back and bite you on the arse.
    I believe when I made the comment I literally said "I know I'll come to regret this when we come to play them, but Liverpool are etc etc"

So yeah, you're not really pointing out my obliviousness to the extent you seem to think you are.

As Shiks said, I don't think much was proven either way in this respect. Still think you flatter yourselves by battering shit teams.

Good result for Liverpool though, but happy enough with how we played. We could afford a loss, the main thing now is how we respond to it.
  • spindle9988 11 Mar 2013 09:27:47 3,486 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Great result for us yesterday even though spurs played the better football. I still think this is massive for psychologically, as its the 1st time this season we have beaten a top side. 2 terrible mistakes by spurs though
  • teamHAM 11 Mar 2013 10:19:10 2,742 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave

Pretty much agree with everything you said.

Stoke were anti-football and we totally dominated the entire match. We just looked really toothless in the final third at times. As a result of that I really did fear for the lads but all credit to them for coming back again.

Cabs will be the full time captain if Colo goes and Cabs himself isn't shipped out in the summer, I think that much is certain.

Anzhi will be really dangerous. They are set up to counter attack really and we won't be sitting as deep as we did in the first leg. Then Wigan and it's about time we got a decent result there tbh!

• Ultrasoundwave 11 Mar 2013 10:32:48 3,264 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @teamHAM

To be honest, i'd be surprised if Cabaye left us. First of all, Pards has made him skipper, which i would like to think means he feels a bit of responsibility for us.

Also, the club went out and signed his best mate (Debuchy) in the window, so we couldnt have accommodated for him more to be honest!.

Obviously, Mike Ashley does like to make a big money sale every now and then, which is worrying, but if they are going to ship out a high-profile player i would rather it be Tiote. He has been a bit of a liability of late, and with the emergence of Perch, Anita and Bigirimana, i dont think we'd miss him as much as some think.

Ahzni will be tough, especially with players like Eto'o and Willian around, but i do fancy us. The Russian sides rarely do well on their travels, the scorching heat of the North East will throw them off too!.

As for Wigan, i'm not optimistic. Our away form is woeful, plus Wigan have reached the stage of the season where they become unbeatable (evidence shown on Saturday).

If we got a point i'd be chuffed!

• kalel 11 Mar 2013 10:38:25 86,240 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I remember when we signed Modric's best mate. That worked.

Edited by kalel at 10:38:34 11-03-2013
  • ascue 11 Mar 2013 10:40:16 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    That sexy bearded Croatian? (Name escaping me right now...)
  • Syrette 11 Mar 2013 10:40:19 43,058 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @iHAZaCHEEZ3burger

Why don't you like Newcastle?

• THFourteen 11 Mar 2013 10:46:30 32,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote: i'd be surprised if Cabaye left us. First of all, Pards has made him skipper
    Lol!

Everybody knows that you give the armband to the player you most want to leave!
  • spindle9988 11 Mar 2013 10:50:42 3,486 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @THFourteen

Maybe at Arsenal
  • kalel 11 Mar 2013 10:51:55 86,240 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Making someone your captain is also a classic "please don't leave" move. Again, rarely works.

We romanticise a lot about how much these players much love our clubs but the test is when the big boys actually come knocking. If and when that happens, say bye bye.
  • roz123 11 Mar 2013 10:56:28 7,112 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Weasel invades pitch and bites a player
  • THFourteen 11 Mar 2013 10:57:31 32,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:We romanticise a lot about how much these players much love our clubs
    I don't.

And they can all fuck off too.
  • nickthegun 11 Mar 2013 10:57:32 58,782 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Speaking of which, I saw a shooting star last night and wished Suarez went to a big club this summer.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Ultrasoundwave 11 Mar 2013 10:59:43 3,264 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @roz123

Good hands keeper!

• Dougs 11 Mar 2013 11:00:21 66,588 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Indeed. And AW at least doesn't put as much stall in the Captain's role as fans. It's largely symbolic and players really shouldn't need someone screaming at them a la Adams/Keane to be motivated.
  • nickthegun 11 Mar 2013 11:02:14 58,782 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I agree with that. Far too much is made of the captaincy, especially at international level.

'Ooh it cant be a striker, they need to see the field of play from the back'. Actually, a good defender should be screaming at everyone anyway, regardless of whether hes a captain.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• spindle9988 11 Mar 2013 11:02:37 3,486 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fabregas was an example of being made captain so he wouldnt leave. Did you ever hear him at interviews? He sounded like he wouldnt be able to inspire anyone
  • Page

of 5246 First / Last