The all-new Premier League thread Page 3304

  • Page

    of 5660 First / Last

  • Deleted user 4 March 2013 13:19:35
    Bit odd to suggest that City will never reach their potential with Mancini next season considering they won the league last year.

    He probably won't still be there anyway, but either way I expect City to be a considerable force next season. You'd be crazy to think otherwise.
  • Ultrasoundwave 4 Mar 2013 13:25:58 3,411 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Its difficult to put your finger on whats gone wrong at City.

    Mancini keeps blaming the players, individually and collectively, which i personally think is quite poor management.

    I am also continually baffled by the fact that Aguero and Tevez have proven in the past to be an absolutely lethal partnership, yet Mancini does everything he can to avoid playing them together.

    At the end of the day, if Mourinho is coming back to the Premiership this summer and Abramovich is too stubborn to have him back, there's only one other place he's going......

    "The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

  • THFourteen 4 Mar 2013 13:27:30 34,470 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    surely the "potential" of a team with 2-3 world class players in each position should be more than to drop out of the CL every year in the group stages, and scrape the league on goal difference?
  • thedaveeyres 4 Mar 2013 13:27:50 11,586 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't help but think that City won the league in spite of, rather than because of Mancini. With the quality and depth of their squad it should never have come down to the last game of the season.

    XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

  • faux-C 4 Mar 2013 13:29:21 9,638 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Its difficult to put your finger on whats gone wrong at City.

    Mancini keeps blaming the players, individually and collectively, which i personally think is quite poor management.

    I am also continually baffled by the fact that Aguero and Tevez have proven in the past to be an absolutely lethal partnership, yet Mancini does everything he can to avoid playing them together.

    At the end of the day, if Mourinho is coming back to the Premiership this summer and Abramovich is too stubborn to have him back, there's only one other place he's going......
    I don't think it's that complicated tbh. They scraped the league last season and then went backwards in the summer transfer window. They're not that far away from the top, despite the points gap. The same group of players and mamager could easily win the league next year, with a fair wind.
  • beastmaster 4 Mar 2013 13:29:52 11,987 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

    I am also continually baffled by the fact that Aguero and Tevez have proven in the past to be an absolutely lethal partnership, yet Mancini does everything he can to avoid playing them together.
    I take it this partnership was there before he took over? Could be an ego thing in that he wants to find his own lethal partnership and therefore cement his management credentials.

    /clutching at straws

    Edited by beastmaster at 13:30:11 04-03-2013

    The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

  • ElNuevo9 4 Mar 2013 13:30:15 13,600 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm sorry, City could quite easily go out and get Mourinho, a definite upgrade. With the resources available to them and the players that they've acquired, they really shouldn't be 12 points behind United.

    I've said it before, but if Mourinho, Ferguson and even Wenger had been in charge this season and last, they'd have fucking pissed the league.

    Edited by ElNino9 at 13:31:05 04-03-2013

    Hated, adored, never ignored.

  • Deleted user 4 March 2013 13:50:43
    So fine, even more evidence that Spurs are far more than a couple of players away from finishing above City next season.
  • roz123 4 Mar 2013 13:56:50 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mikel Silvestre has a terrible debut in the MLS
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxxwia_le-premier-match-catastrophique-de-silvestre-en-mls_sport?start=NaN#.UTSmn1eSlUM

    Player in Argentina gets smacked around the chops by a policeman, goes down like only a footballer would whilst his teammates protest to the ref
    http://youtu.be/lGzX8OOZS6U
  • Deleted user 4 March 2013 14:01:34
    Feel a touch sorry for Silvestre there. First goal was the goalie's fault 100%. It was passed back for him to boot it. Totally fair enough defending. Second one he did badly but the CBs should have been busing a gut to get back. Third was his fault yes.
  • THFourteen 4 Mar 2013 14:01:49 34,470 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    15 points behind.
  • Ultrasoundwave 4 Mar 2013 14:03:38 3,411 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bottom line is that if City get Mourinho, next season will be very interesting.....

    "The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

  • thedaveeyres 4 Mar 2013 14:06:39 11,586 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    David Moyes should sue you for including him in the same sentence as Allardyce and Pulis. :)

    XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

  • ElNuevo9 4 Mar 2013 14:08:07 13,600 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    15 points behind.
    12 really. They're playing Villa tonight, after all!

    Hated, adored, never ignored.

  • Commander-Keen 4 Mar 2013 14:08:09 847 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    I can't help but think that City won the league in spite of, rather than because of Mancini.
    Yeah - this. Chequebook manager. I've never really taken to the man - seems like a deeply unlike-able character - so god only knows what his players make of him. Without the money, he'd probably be another Roy Keane.
  • Deleted user 4 March 2013 14:14:16
    I think Mancini's failings are in his handling of players. He's essentially a real cunt it seems. I do think he's a good tactician though.
  • Deleted user 4 March 2013 14:21:02
    I think he's bad at European tactics :)

    Last season people were extremely critical of him for making "defensive" substitutions. He would typically take off a striker and bring on Barry or De Jong in a game they weren't winning, but as the season went on it showed increasing dividends, and people stopped taking the piss for it.

    I don't think his City have ever shown much passion or fight tbh. Their victories are typically tactical ones.
  • Ultrasoundwave 4 Mar 2013 14:21:36 3,411 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    15 points behind.
    12 really. They're playing Villa tonight, after all!
    Would anyone be genuinely shocked if Villa won (or took a point) tonight though?

    If Benteke shows up and Mancini does a teamtalk where he tells each player individually just how shit he is......who knows?

    "The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

  • thedaveeyres 4 Mar 2013 14:33:01 11,586 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I think he's bad at European tactics :)

    Last season people were extremely critical of him for making "defensive" substitutions. He would typically take off a striker and bring on Barry or De Jong in a game they weren't winning, but as the season went on it showed increasing dividends, and people stopped taking the piss for it.

    I don't think his City have ever shown much passion or fight tbh. Their victories are typically tactical ones.
    The lack of passion and fight could also be attributed to the entire squad being parachuted in in only 3 transfer windows. Chelsea did the same but they were built on a core of players you could be sure would show some fight week in/week out: Terry, Lampard etc. Also Arsenal when AW took over.

    XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

  • Ultrasoundwave 4 Mar 2013 14:37:28 3,411 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I think he's bad at European tactics :)

    Last season people were extremely critical of him for making "defensive" substitutions. He would typically take off a striker and bring on Barry or De Jong in a game they weren't winning, but as the season went on it showed increasing dividends, and people stopped taking the piss for it.

    I don't think his City have ever shown much passion or fight tbh. Their victories are typically tactical ones.
    The lack of passion and fight could also be attributed to the entire squad being parachuted in in only 3 transfer windows. Chelsea did the same but they were built on a core of players you could be sure would show some fight week in/week out: Terry, Lampard etc. Also Arsenal when AW took over.
    To be fair though, City also have that core of players who fight week in/week out IMO - Chelsea had Cech, Terry, Lampard and Drogba, City have Hart, Kompany, Yaya Toure and Aguero.

    "The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

  • RedSparrows 4 Mar 2013 14:38:55 24,238 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Bottom line is that if City get Mourinho, next season will be very interesting.....
    By very interesting you mean 'more interesting than a league that's over in early March, and the same teams in the same positions you'd roughly expect', then that's not too hard ;)
  • thedaveeyres 4 Mar 2013 14:43:20 11,586 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Terry, as much as I despise him, went from Chelsea's youth team to club captain, with an absolutely monstrous will to win. City have no-one comparable to that, Hart is the closest but he's a goalie... I'd rather have my 'guts' players in central defence.

    XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

  • mcmonkeyplc 4 Mar 2013 14:44:25 39,567 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's not over yet you bunch of jinxing bumders!

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • oceanmotion 4 Mar 2013 14:44:43 16,126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Madrid are training at Man City for the game tomorrow. Mourinho can check out his new digs.
  • The-Bodybuilder 4 Mar 2013 15:03:28 14,439 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    At the end of the day, if Mourinho is coming back to the Premiership this summer and Abramovich is too stubborn to have him back, there's only one other place he's going......
    PSG?
  • Deleted user 4 March 2013 15:05:09
    I thought everyone was convinced United was Mourinho's next stop?
  • thedaveeyres 4 Mar 2013 15:08:36 11,586 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Moyes for Utd I reckon.

    XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

  • Page

    of 5660 First / Last

Log in or register to reply