The all-new Premier League thread Page 3287

• Page

of 5470 First / Last

• nickthegun 27 Feb 2013 09:26:09 59,937 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I dont think, at this point, it will be bale who makes the descision. If one of the big teams walk in with a cheque for 50m its going to be very hard for spurs to turn that down, regardless of champions league.
    Although it still would technically be Bale's decision.
    Yes, well obviously, but I imagine the conversation would go something along the lines of 'We want to accept this 50m bid and they are willing to offer you 200k a week. Take it'.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• kalel 27 Feb 2013 09:27:55 87,687 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The main problem with Modric was he only wanted to go to Madrid. I'm hoping with Bale we can get a bit of a bidding war going for him. Madrid and Barca are both interested apparently, and I can see Bayern and PSG coming into the mix, not to mention City, Chelsea, United etc.

Bale has a goal factor that Modric didn't, so hopefully if and when the time comes to sell, it'll be a bit more spectacular.
  • nickthegun 27 Feb 2013 09:30:36 59,937 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He would walk into any team in the world. I cant see why you wouldnt get top, top, triffic dollar for him.

Barring an ACL or something like that, obviously.

And, as an aside, hes the kind of player who you dont mind being paid stupid money as hes an incredibly rare commodity.

• The-Bodybuilder 27 Feb 2013 09:35:59 14,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How is Modric doing? I hear good things. :-)
  • Commander-Keen 27 Feb 2013 09:49:55 808 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    How is Modric doing? I hear good things. :-)
    That bench has never been warmer.

Annoyingly, he'll probably end up somewhere like Chelsea for 15million in a season or two.
  • nickthegun 27 Feb 2013 09:51:35 59,937 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nah. Hes got 'Far East' written all over him. Or maybe some corrupt eastern bloc money laundering operation.

• Commander-Keen 27 Feb 2013 09:59:22 808 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Nah. Hes got 'Far East' written all over him. Or maybe some corrupt eastern bloc money laundering operation.
    ....so Chelsea it is then.
  • kentmonkey 27 Feb 2013 12:12:52 20,684 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Brendan Rodgers has been interviewed about Raheem Sterling and his lack of appearances recently and blames it on mental and physical fatigue. Which is understandable really.

The interview is on the BBC and he sounds quite reasonable about it (apart from when he's asking himself rhetorical questions) but then there's this bit...
    "This is a kid we're talking about, so we have to take a wee step back," said the Northern Irishman.
    I'm not one of the 'PC bandwagon' people but...in what possible way is his nationality of any relevance to the interview or that quote? Would they have said that about an 'Englishman'? I just can't see why his nationality has any importance, and just seems like, yet again, really sloppy journalism on the part of the BBC.

Their football fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=mPctUfGrLOKp0QWxqoHwDg&biw=1280&bih=644&sei=m_ctUbuEJ9CX0QWPmICwDQ]cobbled[/link] together articles with links everywhere to [link url=https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cobbles&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=mPctUfGrLOKp0QWxqoHwDg&biw=1280&bih=644&sei=m_ctUbuEJ9CX0QWPmICwDQ#um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB%3Aofficial&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=shed+ninja&oq=shed+ninja&gs_l=img.3..0i10i24.575.1589.2.1844.10.7.0.0.0.0.209.1051.1j5j1.7.0...0.0...1c.1.4.img.FuERHysdLjc&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42965579,d.d2k&fp=85064d451125a02a&biw=1280&bih=644&imgrc=R0oGpnab1GPiFM%3A%3BjGzxOncmh8eMtM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.sixprizes.com%252Fimages%252FShedinja-Supreme-Victors-SV-44.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.sixprizes.com%252F2009%252F10%252F18%252Fshedinja-supreme-victors-sv-44%252F%3B600%3B825]shed[/link]loads of stories that have no relevance to the subject matter at [link url=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XYQqTq1grkA/TUWJ7ePoF-I/AAAAAAAADZo/AsnggQ9rrzI/s1600/hand-pointer-icon.jpeg" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">hand.

Edited by kentmonkey at 12:13:58 27-02-2013
  • reddevil93 27 Feb 2013 12:14:49 11,736 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kill it with fire

• nickthegun 27 Feb 2013 12:15:33 59,937 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its standard reporting. If they have called him 'Rodgers' once, they will generally either call him 'the liverpool manager', 'the northern irishman' or 'the comedy brent-alike' the second time they refer to him to avoid repetition.

Dont be so sensitive.

• kalel 27 Feb 2013 12:16:19 87,687 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's fairly standard journalistic technique when dealing with reported speech to be honest. They might not say "Englishman" but they may well describe someone on a more regional basis like YorKshire or Devonian or something.

It's a bit trite but I don't really see how it's sloppy.
  • kentmonkey 27 Feb 2013 12:17:35 20,684 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not about being sensitive. At what point does it sound 'sensitive'? It's about it having absolutely no relevance to the subject matter at hand. And it's not 'standard reporting'. At all. Calling him the Liverpool manager would be, as that has relevance, or the 'former Swansea manager' would have some kind of relevance. Or if he was talking about the national game it could have some relevance. But in this context it just doesn't.
  • nickthegun 27 Feb 2013 12:18:35 59,937 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    It's not about being sensitive. At what point does it sound 'sensitive'?
    At this point:

I'm not one of the 'PC bandwagon' people but...in what possible way is his nationality of any relevance to the interview or that quote? Would they have said that about an 'Englishman'? I just can't see why his nationality has any importance, and just seems like, yet again, really sloppy journalism on the part of the BBC.

• TheSaint 27 Feb 2013 12:19:56 14,397 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well if you didn't know where he was from then mentioning his nationality after the quote lets you imagine how he might have sounded saying it.
  • nickthegun 27 Feb 2013 12:20:33 59,937 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Since you bring swansea up, I bet at least 80% of the match reports for this weekend refer to Laudrup as some variation of 'The Dane' at some point.

• nickthegun 27 Feb 2013 12:22:56 59,937 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hah:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/25/michael-laudrup-swansea-city-real-madrid

• imamazed 27 Feb 2013 12:24:10 5,619 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Since you bring swansea up, I bet at least 80% of the match reports for this weekend refer to Laudrup as some variation of 'The Dane' at some point.
    As a somewhat unrelated note, there are players that are seldom mentioned without their first name. Petr Cech comes to mind.
  • kentmonkey 27 Feb 2013 12:24:17 20,684 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's not meant to be sensitive in the slightest. I'm not offended, I just can't see the point. I even set it up by saying 'I'm not one of the PC bandwagon people' to hopefully add some context.

Using your example, of having to refer to him as something different each time they mention him, doesn't make sense. Otherwise if the article went on long enough, what do they use. His address? 'The five feet 11 inch man'. 'Brendan, who has a mother called Christina'. You don't have to refer to somebody as something slightly different each time.

Actually if you've written it well you don't even need to keep referring to who is being quoted, as the first couple of times, if they're the sole reference of the quotes, set's the article up and then you don't need to spoonfeed the reader as to who it is each time. It's only when multiple people are being interviewed that you need to start describing exactly who is saying what.
  • kalel 27 Feb 2013 12:25:42 87,687 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really think it's pretty standard, has some use in terms of painting a picture, and does no harm at all. Really not sure what the issue is here.
  • kentmonkey 27 Feb 2013 12:27:19 20,684 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun, the Derby County supporter wrote:
    Hah:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/25/michael-laudrup-swansea-city-real-madrid
    But 'Dane' there adds context i feel. Otherwise someone reading it might think he wants to return to Spain as it's his place of birth. Or have some relevance. Like Cesc and returning to Barca/Spain.
  • Deckard1 27 Feb 2013 12:27:32 27,983 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    "That's not meant to be sensitive in the slightest. I'm not offended, I just can't see the point. I even set it up by saying 'I'm not one of the PC bandwagon people' to hopefully add some context.

Using your example, of having to refer to him as something different each time they mention him, doesn't make sense. Otherwise if the article went on long enough, what do they use. His address? 'The five feet 11 inch man'. 'Brendan, who has a mother called Christina'. You don't have to refer to somebody as something slightly different each time.

Actually if you've written it well you don't even need to keep referring to who is being quoted, as the first couple of times, if they're the sole reference of the quotes, set's the article up and then you don't need to spoonfeed the reader as to who it is each time. It's only when multiple people are being interviewed that you need to start describing exactly who is saying what." The south easterly chimp mused
  • kentmonkey 27 Feb 2013 12:40:48 20,684 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Deckard1 :o)
  • nickthegun 27 Feb 2013 12:43:11 59,937 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    nickthegun, the Derby County supporter wrote:
    Hah:

But 'Dane' there adds context i feel. Otherwise someone reading it might think he wants to return to Spain as it's his place of birth. Or have some relevance. Like Cesc and returning to Barca/Spain.
    The thing you added after my name would be the thing used in the second reference to me. A reporter would unlikely waste it the first time out of the gate.

• kalel 27 Feb 2013 12:45:22 87,687 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyway, regarding the actual topic of Sterling losing his "zip", I wonder how much it's to do with his initial impact being more about nobody knowing who he is. It's often the way with pacey players. Once people know they're quick, they allow for it.
  • binky Moderator 27 Feb 2013 13:03:08 9,632 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @kentmonkey Every newspaper article I've ever read (probably) will contain an age. I find it very off.

"Kentmonkey, 34, said on Wednesday...."
  • kentmonkey 27 Feb 2013 13:04:21 20,684 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you'd have got my age right then I would have been very concerned! :o)
  • Youthist 27 Feb 2013 13:18:11 10,018 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vince Hilaire > Tony Daley > Sterling > Wilfried Zaha

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• kentmonkey 27 Feb 2013 13:47:12 20,684 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Ruel Fox > Vince Hilaire > Tony Daley > Sterling > Wilfried Zaha
    Fixed.
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Feb 2013 16:24:18 14,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    ....so Chelsea it is then.
    Way too easy.
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Feb 2013 16:29:06 14,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Anyway, regarding the actual topic of Sterling losing his "zip", I wonder how much it's to do with his initial impact being more about nobody knowing who he is. It's often the way with pacey players. Once people know they're quick, they allow for it.
    Like Ox-Tail Chambersoup?
  • Page

of 5470 First / Last