The all-new Premier League thread Page 3282

• Page

of 5663 First / Last

• imamazed 26 Feb 2013 15:38:15 5,964 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And didn't Kezman have an unbelievable scoring record before he went to chelsea?

Still, at least he wasn't 35m
  • morriss 26 Feb 2013 15:39:47 71,286 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like that Mutu was sacked and sued for doing coke but being a racist and talented is ok and gets you public support from your club.

/never forget
  • Commander-Keen 26 Feb 2013 15:41:04 847 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @morriss That is some mighty fine trolling! :D
  • Deleted user 26 February 2013 15:41:12
    I think Carroll will stand head and shoulders above every other flop when the dust settles.
  • ElNuevo9 26 Feb 2013 15:41:24 13,604 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    I like that Mutu was sacked and sued for doing coke but being a racist and talented is ok and gets you public support from your club.

/never forget
    JUSTICE FOR ADRIAN!

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Dougs 26 Feb 2013 15:43:43 69,536 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I think Carroll will stand head and shoulders above every other flop when the dust settles.
    I dunno, Torres is at the head of the queue for me. If nothing else, as his stock has fallen so far so quickly. Carroll's wasn't that high to start with.
  • nickthegun 26 Feb 2013 15:44:45 61,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The worst thing for carroll and one, that to be honest would have ruined my confidence, is that rodgers didnt even give him a single fucking game.

Despite only having one fit senior striker, he decided he wanted to get rid before he even got out of his car.

I still cant quite get my head around it. It either says Rodgers is insane or Carroll is genuinely shit beyond measure.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Commander-Keen 26 Feb 2013 15:45:17 847 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It *has* to be Torres in my book. The money spent on him is just insane. Arguably, his inverse-midas also heavily contributed to several managers getting the boot (if they were winning, the Old Guard Rebellion probably wouldn't have happened) costing several extra in pay offs on top of his fee and salary.
  • Commander-Keen 26 Feb 2013 15:46:07 847 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @nickthegun Rodgers is a twat of the highest order.
  • ElNuevo9 26 Feb 2013 15:48:28 13,604 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Carroll for me. Torres, was back in 07 to the start of 09, the best out and out striker in the world. Absolutely unplayable at times.

Carroll didn't even finish top scorer in the Championship and scored a dozen goals in the Premier League.

I'd still take Torres now to be quite honest.

• Deleted user 26 February 2013 15:48:55
    Torress was a mere 15m more than Carroll though.

And Carroll was so bad he was loaned to West Ham after one season, despite costing 35m. And he's not even good enough to start for West Ham most games.
  • Commander-Keen 26 Feb 2013 15:53:44 847 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    Torres, was back in 07 to the start of 09, the best out and out striker in the world. Absolutely unplayable at times.
    I guess that's kind of my point - he's flopped a looooooooong way. As others have said, Carroll was never much more than a caveman who did alright for half a season. That he's still mediocre is no surprise.

That Torres is still, after all this time and all those different managers, a flop is frankly unforgivable!
  • Deleted user 26 February 2013 15:54:07
    Actually we've all forgotten about De Gea.
  • Youthist 26 Feb 2013 15:55:21 10,083 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still feel like Torres might regain what he has lost. It is incomprehensible that he totally lost it after being SO good.

Trying to think of other latter day strikers that have been totally amazing and then (getting old not included) just totally fallen away and been "ok" but no-where near their former selves. Maybe Jean-Pierre Papin? Wasn't he amazing for two or three years then turned shit (relatively) even when still young?

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• Youthist 26 Feb 2013 15:56:30 10,083 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah Rooney had a good game against Turkey once, I recall. Took people on, had close control, and could pass. Heady days for him.

Edited by Youthist at 15:57:05 26-02-2013

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• reddevil93 26 Feb 2013 15:56:55 12,071 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Trying to think of other latter day strikers that have been totally amazing and then (getting old not included) just totally fallen away and been "ok" but no-where near their former selves. Maybe Jean-Pierre Papin? Wasn't he amazing for two or three years then turned shit (relatively) even when still young?
    Amir Zaki had that amazing Bale style purple batch a few seasons ago..

• ElNuevo9 26 Feb 2013 15:57:53 13,604 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I honestly think Torres would've found something close to his best form had he stayed at Liverpool. It was quite obvious that he loved the club, but such was the size the offer from Chelsea, Liverpool had to take the money.

It's quite obvious from his whole demeanor on the pitch, that he doesn't give a flying shit about Chelsea and didn't really want to go there. I'm sure he hinted as much not long after be left Liverpool, saying it wasn't his descision to leave.

• nickthegun 26 Feb 2013 15:58:29 61,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think, personally, its probably Veron. That was just dick waving by fergie 'check me out, I can drop 30m like its nothing'.

Glad it bit him in the arse.

• Dougs 26 Feb 2013 15:58:48 69,536 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tony Yeboah.
  • Youthist 26 Feb 2013 15:59:00 10,083 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah but he was getting benched before he left too wasn't he? Or at least , had been "shit" for a year or so. I simply do not believe it wasn't his decision to leave. He wanted out IMO.

• Youthist 26 Feb 2013 16:00:20 10,083 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tony Yeboah and Amir Zaki were hardly ever "one of the worlds top players" like Torres was - I am looking for a special player that lost the magic in their feet (or something).

• Commander-Keen 26 Feb 2013 16:00:38 847 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Michael Owen has to be up there. David Bentley too, if I think about it. Going back a bit, Weren't there a few Everton players that were massively hyped, got big moves (relatively for the time) and swiftly imploded? Jeffers? Oster? Cademarteri? Or was it just the former who was the billy big bollix?
  • ElNuevo9 26 Feb 2013 16:01:51 13,604 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I think, personally, its probably Veron. That was just dick waving by fergie 'check me out, I can drop 30m like its nothing'.

Glad it bit him in the arse.
    Not really. Ferguson said he wanted him to try and complete, and adopt a more continental playing style for Europe. However, he was so obviously not suited to the English game, that when a 16m offer came in for someone, who essentially was used in Europe, we had to take it.

• nickthegun 26 Feb 2013 16:01:51 61,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Tony Yeboah.
    The fuck? He was ace for leeds!

• nickthegun 26 Feb 2013 16:03:34 61,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, thats not what happened.

• Deleted user 26 February 2013 16:10:40
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Youthist wrote:
    Amir Zaki had that amazing Bale style purple batch a few seasons ago..
    To successfully pull off the ironic trolling move, you have to have not recently already posted number of similar things deadly seriously, otherwise it all just blends into one.
  • Page

of 5663 First / Last