The all-new Premier League thread Page 3278

• Page

of 5375 First / Last

• oceanmotion 26 Feb 2013 12:08:26 15,820 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bale has scored some cracking goals but he hasn't been amazing enough of the time to warrant the sky high praise. I think people are jumping on the hype train like they did with his goals against Inter. Goal tally is good for his age but he has a long way to go for the rest of his game. He has popped up with a last minute goal here and there but he is a ghost most of the time and not everyone succumbs to his turn and turbo mode.
  • Dougs 26 Feb 2013 12:09:10 67,190 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:

I think it's fair to say that the game against Villa was anything but tight.
    The result was tight, even if the game itself was quite open. All I mean is that he tends to score in big wins more than close games. Not always true, but more often than not.
  • kalel 26 Feb 2013 12:13:24 86,962 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Bale has scored some cracking goals but he hasn't been amazing enough of the time to warrant the sky high praise. I think people are jumping on the hype train like they did with his goals against Inter. Goal tally is good for his age but he has a long way to go for the rest of his game. He has popped up with a last minute goal here and there but he is a ghost most of the time and not everyone succumbs to his turn and turbo mode.
    Yeah...this is bollocks really. He's been consistently good all season long, and injuries aside playing at a very high level for good amount of time now (he was player of the year in 2010/11).

And frankly 19 goals from midfield is pretty amazing for any player, not just a 23 year old. Only Suarez and RvP have scored more, and both are strikers.

"Ghost most of the time" is really very untrue. Quite laughably so in fact.
  • kalel 26 Feb 2013 12:14:42 86,962 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Although Ben Arfa is better though of course.
  • mikew1985 26 Feb 2013 12:17:10 12,656 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    It must be quite annoying for Man U that they could have easily have bought him instead of us.
    Queue another 'Ive long been a fan of [player x], thats why we are buying him now at a massive price, rather than the tiny amount we passed on several years ago' from fergie.
    That's not exactly what happened though, Bale chose spurs over us if I recall correctly, we both had offers accepted.

Either way, yes it is mildly irritating!
  • nickthegun 26 Feb 2013 12:19:23 59,452 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You support Man U now?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• reddevil93 26 Feb 2013 12:20:24 11,569 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Absolutely everything goes through Bale at Spurs though which adds to his stats. I don't think he would replicate it at a bigger team, he has constantly proven me wrong though.

Don't think he has got many assists at all either which, despite what some Spurs fans say, is more down to greediness than poor finishing from strikers.

Weren't you saying Lennon was more crucial to Spurs than Bale just a couple of months ago kalel?

• nickthegun 26 Feb 2013 12:20:37 59,452 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorry, im thinking of someone else.

He totally called it

• ElNino9 26 Feb 2013 12:21:37 13,371 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    It must be quite annoying for Man U that they could have easily have bought him instead of us.
    Queue another 'Ive long been a fan of [player x], thats why we are buying him now at a massive price, rather than the tiny amount we passed on several years ago' from fergie.
    Ferguson didn't pass. We had a bid accepted and he chose Spurs because he knew more game time.

We had Ronaldo and had just spent 17m on Nani, so in hindsight, it was probably the right move for him.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• graysonavich 26 Feb 2013 12:23:19 7,320 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    We had Ronaldo and had just spent 17m on Nani, so in hindsight, it was probably the right move for him.
    Surely he would have been purchased as a left back though?
  • nickthegun 26 Feb 2013 12:23:29 59,452 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Absolutely everything goes through Bale at Spurs though which adds to his stats. I don't think he would replicate it at a bigger team, he has constantly proven me wrong though.
    Who cares? With better players around him he wouldnt have to shoulder so much responsibility and would play a more free role.

Don't think he has got many assists at all either which, despite what some Spurs fans say, is more down to greediness than poor finishing from strikers.
    Hes on 19 for the season, so who gives a toss about not having many assists?

He totally called it

• nickthegun 26 Feb 2013 12:25:07 59,452 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, fuckheads, that was a carrick joke.

He totally called it

• reddevil93 26 Feb 2013 12:32:17 11,569 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Who cares? With better players around him he wouldnt have to shoulder so much responsibility and would play a more free role.

Hes on 19 for the season, so who gives a toss about not having many assists?
    But he's shown he absolutely thrives on responsibility and the team being centred around him, the hype around him seems to be only driving his performances even higher.

I'd imagine most do, it's what's stopping him from reaching the real top level of players. If I was to put out a team tomorrow I'd choose Suarez, Mata and RvP all ahead of him.

• nickthegun 26 Feb 2013 12:35:12 59,452 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would also put apples ahead of oranges.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 26 February 2013 12:36:37
    I'd choose Joe Hart ahead of Torres.

Edited by Aargh. at 12:36:48 26-02-2013
  • reddevil93 26 Feb 2013 12:36:52 11,569 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good discussion, should do this more often

• Orange 26 Feb 2013 12:37:29 4,742 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bale's role no different to how Ronaldo exploded, being moved in off the wing to a free central role. Still remember Rooney being shunted out to work like a dog on the left wing to give Ronaldo that space.
  • nickthegun 26 Feb 2013 12:37:50 59,452 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, not so much.

He totally called it

• The-Bodybuilder 26 Feb 2013 12:40:07 14,135 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Is it fair to sat that Walcott has gone off the boil since being given his new contract?
    Nah, he banged a few after that. It's in the last 3-4 games where he's gone off the boil.

Probably doesn't help that he gets no rest.
  • reddevil93 26 Feb 2013 12:40:45 11,569 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Orange wrote:
    Bale's role no different to how Ronaldo exploded, being moved in off the wing to a free central role. Still remember Rooney being shunted out to work like a dog on the left wing to give Ronaldo that space.
    Excepted Ronaldo exploded in the 06/07 season and kept his ability to produce assists for the team while also matching Bales goalscoring, it wasn't until the following year Rooney was shunted to the left to accommodate his central role which led to a 42 goal season, which Bale couldn't dream of at the minute.

• nickthegun 26 Feb 2013 12:43:21 59,452 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is because nani never gets his due as an assist machine, isnt it?

He totally called it

• reddevil93 26 Feb 2013 12:44:35 11,569 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    This is because nani never gets his due as an assist machine, isnt it?
    He can just go to a small club and all the play go through him if he needs recognition.

• nickthegun 26 Feb 2013 12:45:51 59,452 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haha! Lovely stuff.

He totally called it

• puddleduck 26 Feb 2013 12:49:42 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I would love to see how many assists Bale would actually have with a decent strikeforce.He could have had 4 last night if Caulker could finish. His final ball is quality but Ade is about as lethal as a bowl of porridge... and not even a deep or particularly warm bowl.
  • The-Bodybuilder 26 Feb 2013 12:50:03 14,135 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    But he's shown he absolutely thrives on responsibility and the team being centred around him, the hype around him seems to be only driving his performances even higher.
    Erm, that's the very condition that seperate big-time charlies from truly world class players.
    WC players thrive on the responsibility and being the centre of attention, which drives their performance higher. Poor players wilt under the pressure and go hiding.

Same could be said about Messi and Ronaldo; they're only playing well because they're the centre of attention.

Also, it could be argued it's because he's playing well, thus why he's the centre of everything.
  • The-Bodybuilder 26 Feb 2013 12:52:22 14,135 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    which Bale couldn't dream of at the minute.
    Ah, could it be your issue is that people are comparing Bale to Ronaldo?
  • THFourteen 26 Feb 2013 12:53:01 33,186 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    puddleduck wrote:
    I would love to see how many assists Bale would actually have with a decent strikeforce.He could have had 4 last night if Caulker could finish. His final ball is quality but Ade is about as lethal as a bowl of porridge... and not even a deep or particularly warm bowl.
    This.

Every time i see Bale play he puts in loads of dangerous crosses in that perfect area just behind the defenders and in front of hte keeper.
  • reddevil93 26 Feb 2013 12:56:17 11,569 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    which Bale couldn't dream of at the minute.
    Ah, could it be your issue is that people are comparing Bale to Ronaldo?
    God no, I think Bales having a great season, said to my friend he would flourish under AVB and I'm delighted he is, good player to watch and only a wee bit of a knob. Just think the hyperbole is hilarious.
    No one even talked about him as PotY until after Xmas so the consistently brilliant stuff is bonkers.

• The-Bodybuilder 26 Feb 2013 12:57:15 14,135 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    puddleduck wrote:
    This.

Every time i see Bale play he puts in loads of dangerous crosses in that perfect area just behind the defenders and in front of hte keeper.
    And this was us thinking his 19 goals mean nothing because he doesn't assist more shite strikers.

There's something wrong about arsenal fans defending Bale to a United fan. :/
  • The-Bodybuilder 26 Feb 2013 12:57:52 14,135 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    No one even talked about him as PotY until after Xmas so the consistently brilliant stuff is bonkers.
    In fairness, this is true.
  • Page

of 5375 First / Last