The all-new Premier League thread Page 3256

• Page

of 5257 First / Last

• puddleduck 13 Feb 2013 14:25:05 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Syrette

Meh, Tottenham's a shithole anyway. I would miss being able to get the bus to the lane from my parents house whenever I head back to London, but I'd also appreciate the potential expansion the club could undertake with a ready made stadium with transport links. I'll just call us Spurs heh
  • kalel 13 Feb 2013 14:30:30 86,392 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have to say, having been to the Olympics, my whole view of moving there did change a bit. The Javelin link is incredible and would have made getting from North London to the stadium an absolute piece of piss.

Still, I suppose if we regenerate the area to not be a shithole and say in Tottenham, it's a win win.
  • Deckard1 13 Feb 2013 19:08:28 27,197 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tiote arrested for fraud

ok
  • ResidentKnievel 13 Feb 2013 20:12:25 6,125 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If only it was Cisse being arrested then we could have made some jokes.

something about him being a different person this season, i dunno

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• The-Bodybuilder 14 Feb 2013 06:58:39 14,071 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    West Ham have taken out space in the Metro today to advertise tickets for their "Cup Final" game against Spurs coming up.

They can't even sell out a 30k stadium for a match against their supposed arch rivals. Olympic stadium is going to be a joke.
    In fairness, they're always advertising games and ticket sales on both the Metro & London Evening Standard almost every day.
  • The-Bodybuilder 14 Feb 2013 07:00:08 14,071 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    puddleduck wrote:
    Spurs ideas for the Olympic stadium were great. Especially offering to turn Crystal Palace back into a world class athletics venue. You know, the actual home of athletics in this country.
    Is it not possible to have a new home? Especially one at, you know, the Olympics stadium?

Not that their idea was bad (I still would reject spurs moving close to me), but that crystal palace being the home argument is a bit flawed.
  • teamHAM 14 Feb 2013 07:06:56 2,758 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Tiote arrested for fraud

ok
    He must be a lot smarter than he looks.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• The-Bodybuilder 14 Feb 2013 07:09:07 14,071 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not smart enough to not get caught.
  • Trowel 14 Feb 2013 07:30:43 17,444 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    puddleduck wrote:
    Spurs ideas for the Olympic stadium were great. Especially offering to turn Crystal Palace back into a world class athletics venue. You know, the actual home of athletics in this country.
    Is it not possible to have a new home? Especially one at, you know, the Olympics stadium?

Not that their idea was bad (I still would reject spurs moving close to me), but that crystal palace being the home argument is a bit flawed.
    I suspect taking on the Olympic Stadium would bankrupt UK Athletics - they're incompetent at the best of times; see the way they allowed their sponsorship with Aviva to end without any replacement, claiming they were looking for "Champions League" style multi sponsorship. So far they've ended up with McCain...
  • puddleduck 14 Feb 2013 07:37:18 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @The-Bodybuilder

How often are they going to fill 60,000, or even half that for Athletics meets? The 20,000 purpose built athletics arena at the traditional historical home of British athletics was a great idea, but was never given the due thought it deserved. Maybe they'll make it work, but I have very little actual faith they will.
  • fletch7100 14 Feb 2013 08:21:23 6,981 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-ham/9722753/West-Ham-Olympic-Stadium-deal-would-include-profit-share.html
  • Shikasama 14 Feb 2013 08:21:37 6,620 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The thought of those two crooks at West Ham being gifted a state of the art high capacity stadium makes me feel physically ill.
  • fletch7100 14 Feb 2013 08:25:46 6,981 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Always believed that the Spurs bid was just a bluff by Levy. Local council were always giving Spurs problems over building permits, red tape etc. They thought the club would never leave the area. So reckon Spurs just put the bid in to tell the council, yeah we are thinking of leaving and taking all the money and jobs we generate in the area with us.
  • The-Bodybuilder 14 Feb 2013 08:42:00 14,071 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    puddleduck wrote:
    @The-Bodybuilder

How often are they going to fill 60,000, or even half that for Athletics meets? The 20,000 purpose built athletics arena at the traditional historical home of British athletics was a great idea, but was never given the due thought it deserved. Maybe they'll make it work, but I have very little actual faith they will.
    It wasn't given tought becuase of the promise made, and also because Crystal Palace stadium doesn't have the transport link that the Olympic Park has/will have on top.

The stadium will be reduced to about 40k, and sure neither athletics or WHU will fill it up. But there will be shows held there too.

I recently attended a meeting where they showed the full plan to the entire park. I think the biggest issue is people talk of the stadium as if it's not part of the entire park. What they plan to to do the park, area and East London, not just for the stadiu,, but for everything there (business, homes, etc.), spending another extra amount of years rebuilding the stadium would've set the entire project further back.

Edit: I think if Spurs were willing to take the stadium as it was/will be, there would be no problem at all, and they would've been the best option.

It's that damn track.
    They really should've designed the stadium with that problem in mind. Ho Hum.

Edited by The-Bodybuilder at 08:46:21 14-02-2013
  • puddleduck 14 Feb 2013 08:47:18 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They're already well behind the schedule and will almost certainly slip further behind. Obviously I'd love Spurs to just build a brand new 60,000 stadium in Tottenham, but I'm also not tribal enough to assume the stadium must always be in Tottenham.

If West Ham make the whole thing work, then fair enough, but the whole project is starting to reek of short sightedness from the original plans and they clearly never had a realistic exit strategy to accomplish the whole "legacy" rubbish they used to get the games in the first place ha
  • kalel 14 Feb 2013 09:40:00 86,392 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    West Ham have taken out space in the Metro today to advertise tickets for their "Cup Final" game against Spurs coming up.

They can't even sell out a 30k stadium for a match against their supposed arch rivals. Olympic stadium is going to be a joke.
    In fairness, they're always advertising games and ticket sales on both the Metro & London Evening Standard almost every day.
    That reinforces my point doesn't it?

I think Levy was being clever by making a bid for the stadium in that it was hopefully a win win. I'm pretty sure he had every intent of moving us if we won the bid. The financial benefit of getting that stadium to the club would have completely transformed the club in a heartbeat, and we'd have been more or less good to go without waiting for the new build. However, yes, it also forced Haringey's hand to an extent and now the area will be regenerated, which is what we originally wanted.

I'm not sure what the best use of the stadium would have been really, but I'm fairly certain it's not giving it to West Ham.
  • Dougs 14 Feb 2013 09:41:35 66,709 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What's the latest on the new stadium?
  • nickthegun 14 Feb 2013 09:44:56 58,805 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It could have been worse. They could have given it to Orient.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• kalel 14 Feb 2013 09:46:29 86,392 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a bit weird. It's sort of gone quiet officially, and yet when you go there they've quite clearly marked out the area and bordered it off, and they certainly appear to be doing some sort of construction.

I think it basically is in the process of happening but announcements are being saved for when all the money side and sponsorship deals and everything are finally announced - i.e. Levy wants to wait until we get into the CL or not before finalising deals.
  • puddleduck 14 Feb 2013 09:48:03 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good old Haringey council. It's fair to say I don't miss it.
  • Dougs 14 Feb 2013 09:48:25 66,709 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Any idea how much/if cash you need to borrow? Or are ENIC fronting the balance not raised from sponsorship?
  • kalel 14 Feb 2013 09:58:24 86,392 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No idea how much will be borrowed if any, but a huge amount is being generated though this Sainsbury's thing, not to mention naming rights (which might also be Sainsbury's), and new shares being sold. I doubt much debt will be incurred.
  • Shikasama 14 Feb 2013 10:34:26 6,620 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sainsbury's Lane.

The Sainsbury's Arena

Jamie Oliver's Bum Fun House.
  • TheSaint 14 Feb 2013 10:41:07 14,201 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On the plus side you might well get Nectar points with your season ticket.
  • puddleduck 14 Feb 2013 10:43:43 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "Good football costs less at White Hart Sainsburys"
  • SuperCoolEskimo 14 Feb 2013 13:27:32 9,724 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    'NIKE are at the centre of a battle between three major English clubs...

Nike are at the centre of a huge argument between both Manchester clubs over a sponsorship clash.

Manchester United officials were furious when Nike and Manchester City decided to switch City’s kit deal from Umbro (owned by Nike) to Nike themselves. Rival clubs normally avoid having the same shirt sponsors and manufacturers to avoid marketing clashes and to separate themselves completely.

Manchester United are now demanding dramatically improved terms on their next kit deal with Nike, or threatening to move to another kit manufacturer (probably Adidas), who would be prepared to spend big money on signing one of the world’s most valuable brands. It is expected that United will therefore sign a huge new deal with Nike to make up for this, or leave for another brand.

How does this affect Arsenal? They currently have an existing kit deal with Nike, but are looking for their next deal to be much more lucrative. Nike have the option to match any offer from elsewhere, but their ability to do this is likely to be affected by the size of commitment they are forced to make to Manchester United. Adidas have made Arsenal a very lucrative offer, and Arsenal are now waiting to see what Nike’s next move is. If United do leave Nike, Arsenal could actually benefit, as Nike will not want to see their two flagship English clubs both leave. '
  • mcmonkeyplc 14 Feb 2013 13:33:00 39,387 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The last blue and white Adidas shirt we had is still my favourite united top.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• puddleduck 14 Feb 2013 13:34:26 1,853 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Being able to sell Man U shirts globally at anything from £10-£50 when they clearly cost pennies to make is clearly not something they'll want to give up.
  • kalel 14 Feb 2013 13:56:13 86,392 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why do Arsenal think they're going to get a better sponsorship deal when they're now a less successful club?

Not really trolling, serious question. They might not even be in Europe next season.
  • imamazed 14 Feb 2013 14:00:28 5,520 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Adidas > Nike
  • Page

of 5257 First / Last