The all-new Premier League thread Page 3236

• Page

of 5343 First / Last

• mikew1985 6 Feb 2013 22:32:51 12,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I would have thought the inverted commas would have tipped you off.
  • Binny 6 Feb 2013 22:34:04 187 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @kentmonkey it wasn't Lucky, it was just a badly taken penalty.
  • King_Edward 6 Feb 2013 22:34:38 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Looks like Squillaci and Mertesacker are going to be our defensive partnership in the next game.

That has surely got to be the slowest defensive partnership in history.

The centre of our defense is going to have all of the mobility of the Walking Dead.
    Boumsong/Bramble.

Never mind. Somehow read "slowest" as "lowest".

Edited by King_Edward at 22:35:56 06-02-2013
  • Binny 6 Feb 2013 22:42:17 187 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    I would have thought the inverted commas would have tipped you off.
    Referring to? I've had a few drinks mind.
  • kentmonkey 6 Feb 2013 22:51:46 20,544 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Looks like Squillaci and Mertesacker are going to be our defensive partnership in the next game.

That has surely got to be the slowest defensive partnership in history.

The centre of our defense is going to have all of the mobility of the Walking Dead.
    Boumsong/Bramble.

Never mind. Somehow read "slowest" as "lowest".
    I'd still challenge you, no matter which of the two you took it as! :o)
  • Orange 7 Feb 2013 00:02:43 4,715 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wilshere will fit nicely into the City midfield, linking up with Silva and Aguero. Looks like he could make the step up already.
  • azurelas_2 7 Feb 2013 00:42:06 1,111 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Orange wrote:
    Wilshere will fit nicely into the City midfield, linking up with Silva and Aguero. Looks like he could make the step up already.
    City? I think he's exactly what's missing in Man U's midfield (and I'm a gooner)
  • ElNino9 7 Feb 2013 03:00:58 13,323 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    De Gea isn't as bad as he's made out to be though.

He's a young keeper learning his trade. He's far more advanced than most at his age, and he suffers from poor decision making. He can learn that by learning from mistakes. His mistakes are more high profile because they're for Utd.

As long as he doesn't allow the mistakes to get him down, and instead decides to use them to analyse his game and improve it, he'll do fine. He's got all the makings and attributes of a great keeper, including his physical size, it's now down to his mentality and whether he can cope with it.

It can go one of two ways, it's too early to tell, but I'm not one of the 'De Gea is a clown' crowd. If he's doing the same things at 26-27, then yes, but he's hardly started his career yet in goalkeeping terms and it's not his fault he's become the Nos1 at Utd probably 2-3 years before he's absolutely ready for that level.

(EDIT, early to tell, not easy. Stupid typo).
    This post has far to much sense to be attributed to this thread.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• THFourteen 7 Feb 2013 07:55:01 33,109 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    degealol
  • King_Edward 7 Feb 2013 07:59:19 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    degealol
    This post has far to much sense to be attributed to this thread. :p
  • The-Bodybuilder 7 Feb 2013 08:01:15 14,114 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :-D
  • Ultrasoundwave 7 Feb 2013 08:16:37 3,278 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    De Gea isn't as bad as he's made out to be though.

He's a young keeper learning his trade. He's far more advanced than most at his age, and he suffers from poor decision making. He can learn that by learning from mistakes. His mistakes are more high profile because they're for Utd.

As long as he doesn't allow the mistakes to get him down, and instead decides to use them to analyse his game and improve it, he'll do fine. He's got all the makings and attributes of a great keeper, including his physical size, it's now down to his mentality and whether he can cope with it.

It can go one of two ways, it's too early to tell, but I'm not one of the 'De Gea is a clown' crowd. If he's doing the same things at 26-27, then yes, but he's hardly started his career yet in goalkeeping terms and it's not his fault he's become the Nos1 at Utd probably 2-3 years before he's absolutely ready for that level.

(EDIT, early to tell, not easy. Stupid typo).
    This post has far to much sense to be attributed to this thread.
    You say that, however, the keeper that Utd look like their going to replace him with (Begovic) is only three years older, was playing in the Premiership at a younger age and has always looked pretty solid.

If Utd can recoup enough money on De Gea to pay for Begovic, they would much better off IMO.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• FWB 7 Feb 2013 08:21:53 44,100 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So Wilshire is the second coming according to the media. That's it, we've won the WC.
  • kalel 7 Feb 2013 08:46:34 86,812 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There really is no 'De Gea is a clown crowd'. There's a bunch of over-sensitive United fans, and a bunch of people that enjoy winding them up.

Aside from that most are slightly baffled why United spend an absolute fortune on an inexperienced keeper who may or may not turn out to be very good, when there's already experienced very good keepers out there who would have cost far less. And yes, I'm aware that the answer is "because then you get a great keeper for longer" but I don't think this is true. You have just have to endure years of them gaining experience before they may/may not make it, and that's wasted time when you could have just bought experience in the first place.

Shmeichal was in his late twenties when United got him, and VdS in his thirties, and both had pretty long stints. Longer than De Gea will in all likelihood.
  • THFourteen 7 Feb 2013 08:47:50 33,109 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    So Wilshire is the second coming according to the media. That's it, we've won the WC.
    Question is, should we cash in now and get some money in the bank, or wait a few years and see if we can get Ronaldo style 80m for him.

Its a tough call actually.

Can't wait till we get that cash in the bank.
  • Dougs 7 Feb 2013 09:30:18 67,034 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    More on PL FFP/wage cap, being voted on today:

http://www.danielgeey.com/a-premier-league-salary-cap-questions-and-consequences/
  • kalel 7 Feb 2013 09:42:40 86,812 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    City's wage bill is 114% of their turnover.

Jokes.
  • nickthegun 7 Feb 2013 09:42:53 59,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Shmeichal was in his late twenties when United got him, and VdS in his thirties, and both had pretty long stints. Longer than De Gea will in all likelihood.
    I think, laughably, fergie was trying to avoid the situation of a great goalie leaving and him farting around with half a dozen cheapies before he finally signs another great goalie.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• King_Edward 7 Feb 2013 09:45:40 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    I don't wanna sound like one of those people, but really do think Wilshere is pretty special.
  • nickthegun 7 Feb 2013 09:45:51 59,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:

http://www.danielgeey.com/a-premier-league-salary-cap-questions-and-consequences/
    Christ, its no wonder villa have a team of kids now.

He totally called it

• ResidentKnievel 7 Feb 2013 09:53:54 6,176 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Villa look really similar to Newcastle pre-relegation

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• RedSparrows 7 Feb 2013 10:02:23 22,241 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Man Utd have it so sorted: under half their turnover on wages compared to say, Liverpool's 3/4s, and with a higher wage bill.
  • kalel 7 Feb 2013 10:07:31 86,812 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Man Utd have it so sorted: under half their turnover on wages compared to say, Liverpool's 3/4s, and with a higher wage bill.
    Well, yeah, apart from the whole Glazer debt thing.

Basically they make an absolute shit load of money, which is great yeah.
  • nickthegun 7 Feb 2013 10:07:36 59,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They need the other 52% to service their massive debt.

He totally called it

• Kay 7 Feb 2013 10:56:12 17,798 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    Question is, should we cash in now and get some money in the bank, or wait a few years and see if we can get Ronaldo style 80m for him.

Its a tough call actually.

Can't wait till we get that cash in the bank.
    Nah, he's a proper Gooner, so he won't do that to the club.

He'll just play until the end of his five-year contract before leaving on a free.
  • mcmonkeyplc 7 Feb 2013 10:58:49 39,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Well, yeah, apart from the whole Glazer debt thing.

Basically they make an absolute shit load of money, which is great yeah.
    AHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Oh.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• President_Weasel 7 Feb 2013 11:07:50 9,142 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why should he sign a new contract for less money than he could get elsewhere?
    You think the man wants to retire from football and gaze lovingly at a wall of fourth-place-in-the-Prem medals and photographs of him lifting the "qualified for the Champions League but never threatened to win it" cup triumphantly over his head? Look back fondly on those memories of the open-top bus tours as Arsenal parade their healthy bank statement through the streets?

Meet people years later and have them tell him about their great memories that time the team stayed just about in contention right up until December?

Why would anyone stay at Arsenal if they could earn more and have a chance of actual trophies somewhere else? Who'd want to stay and watch Arsene hire more Mertesackers and more scattergun nearly-men, and then watch the only half decent ones leave?
  • THFourteen 7 Feb 2013 11:10:58 33,109 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Of course he will leave. All of this "i love arsenal blah blah blah" is just the usual footballer bullshit.

I think he's earmarked for chelsea in the future, although with lamplard terry and cole leaving in the next year or two, the contingent he would have been attracted to wont be there anymore, so maybe he'll prefer utd or barca.
  • Mr_Sleep 7 Feb 2013 11:16:27 16,928 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Dougs wrote:

Christ, its no wonder villa have a team of kids now.
    Indeed, I daresay part of the problem is not just what the wages are but what the turnover is. Despite being the most prestigious club in the second capital there just aren't as many fans able to afford to go to games. The gates last season and this season have been ever dwindling. They were at a high of 40k under MoN and they've been on the slide since then.

If the fans aren't coming then you can't afford to pay the wages week in week out. I think the last home game was around 30k. The stadium is getting more and more empty and I suspect in the championship things will be even worse. Villa are already a relatively cheap club to watch. The people just don't have the money to watch us lose on a regular basis.

It's not a story that is being written about by the likes of Robbie Savage who would rather just act the cunt about the whole thing.

You are a factory of sadness.

• nickthegun 7 Feb 2013 11:28:06 59,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its not just the price, its the fact that you have played awful football for nearly three years.

But, yeah, the dwindling attendances are a worry. We weathered the storm by having loyal fans and nearly filling the ground every week. If you have a load of fickle bastards, you really will struggle when you go down.

He totally called it

• Page

of 5343 First / Last