The all-new Premier League thread Page 3224

• Page

of 5487 First / Last

• Tom_Servo 3 Feb 2013 18:15:06 17,962 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    He's never been the same since the skull fracture (not that you can blame him). He's obviously not shite, but it's just as well Chelsea have Courtois coming to be honest.

I'd probably put Cech second behind Lloris on my list, but it's by some way.
    That Chelsea tried tom buy Butland though, indicates that maybe they don't think Courtois is for them. Which is odd given how much they paid, and that he's (apparently) been quite decent for Athletico.
    Yeah that was a weird one. Seemed like they were just wanting him in case he turns out to be great.
  • ElNino9 3 Feb 2013 18:15:30 13,433 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lloris is prone to the odd howler, especially when he was younger. Already made one in the Europa League, didn't he?

Shit.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• kalel 3 Feb 2013 18:17:12 87,753 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I didn't realise everyone else was rating Lloris now. Thought he was still our little secret. Like Aaron Lennon being better than Bale.
  • Dougs 3 Feb 2013 18:17:43 67,809 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    You're mad if you wouldn't swap De Gea for Hart.
    +1. Hart looks to have the measure of the PL, with the odd mistake. De Gea doesn't convince fully yet. Not that he/AF will care with a league winner's medal.
  • kalel 3 Feb 2013 18:18:00 87,753 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Every keeper will make mistakes. It's not the same as being permanently dodgy.
  • NotSoSlim 3 Feb 2013 18:18:32 3,125 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    NotSoSlim wrote:
    Too be honest i wouldnt swap them either. Hart just has more experience. Think both will be pure world class. Hart is just further along
    Except Hart was quality when he was 20.
    And made mistakes and has done this year. All young keepers make them. Just one seems to get full back page coverage.

Hart happened to come along just when country needed a great keeper. Similar to Naeuer so has loads more experience than De Gea.

All i can say is all 3 are class keepers. Same with Courtois.
  • Dougs 3 Feb 2013 18:18:32 67,809 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Thought he was still our little secret. Like Aaron Lennon being better than Bale.
    Do you really think that? Earlier in the season you were wanting Walcott over Lennon.
  • SolidSCB 3 Feb 2013 18:18:39 6,743 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The big test for De Gea will come in May. If he drops the PL trophy during the presentation, I think it is best we let him go.
  • NotSoSlim 3 Feb 2013 18:20:25 3,125 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    liamthemaster wrote:
    Reina is fine still imo he makes the odd mistake but he's no Dudek,I think most fans have forgotten what it's like having a Barthez or Dudek in goal, where every time a simple shot is taken your heart is in your mouth.
    Man speaking common sense. I remember the Barthez days all too well
  • kalel 3 Feb 2013 18:23:12 87,753 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Thought he was still our little secret. Like Aaron Lennon being better than Bale.
    Do you really think that? Earlier in the season you were wanting Walcott over Lennon.
    Well, sort of. Lennon will never get the goals that Bale and Walcott get, but his contribution to the team is greater. Bale is our best player, but Lennon is our most important one IMO.
  • faux_carnation 3 Feb 2013 18:23:38 9,349 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's all well and good having an occasionally dodgy keeper, but not if he's one of the highest earners at the club.
  • WiseFool 3 Feb 2013 18:35:01 874 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NotSoSlim wrote:
    liamthemaster wrote:
    Reina is fine still imo he makes the odd mistake but he's no Dudek,I think most fans have forgotten what it's like having a Barthez or Dudek in goal, where every time a simple shot is taken your heart is in your mouth.
    Well, now I get my heart in my throat whenever a cross comes in and he flaps at it, or he makes a save and rebounds the ball into the middle of the area..
  • SuperCoolEskimo 3 Feb 2013 18:36:21 9,845 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dodgy. http://dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2270394/Tottenham-striker-Jermain-Defoe-using-blood-spinning-recovery-save-season.html#axzz2JrSg0Uqf
  • NotSoSlim 3 Feb 2013 18:38:29 3,125 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WiseFool wrote:
    NotSoSlim wrote:
    liamthemaster wrote:
    Well, now I get my heart in my throat whenever a cross comes in and he flaps at it, or he makes a save and rebounds the ball into the middle of the area..
    I hear that but for me flapping is not as bad just again needs physical presence.

The saves into area is a problem tho. He has been solid this season and a far cry from huge parts of last season.
  • kalel 3 Feb 2013 18:48:32 87,753 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    De Gea's issue is mental, not physical.
  • captbirdseye 3 Feb 2013 18:52:33 4,997 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    De Gea just isn't good enough for a team as good as Utd and he's nothing more than a decent shot stopper. Begovic, Cech, Lloris and Friedel much better goalkeepers.
  • reddevil93 3 Feb 2013 18:53:01 11,777 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    De Gea's issue is mental, not physical.
    He actually seems to have a great mentally in terms of not getting frustrated with himself or shying away. A settled back 4 will do him the world of good like it did in the second half of last season. Don't think the difference that makes can be overstated.

• kalel 3 Feb 2013 18:56:58 87,753 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes, a better back four will limit his exposure. That will hide his issues though, not solve them.

The Carrick thing against Southampton was because of bad defending, but De Gea still had a total mare, and you just knew he would. Any time he has to deal with something like that, you have to worry.
  • King_Edward 3 Feb 2013 18:57:33 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    As long as he's not frustrated with being a total pansy I guess it's not a problem.
  • reddevil93 3 Feb 2013 19:02:14 11,777 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I didn't mean in terms of limiting chances, more that the communication and understanding will improve a hell of a lot, anyone who's played football will tell you that's vital in a defensive unit.

• ecureuil 3 Feb 2013 19:02:40 76,829 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wouldn't swap De Gea for Hart either. De Gea is fantastic, he's improved so much already and will continue to do so. He has weaknesses for sure, but they are hugely exaggerated.

Here's Schmeichel's mistakes when he first joined United.
  • reddevil93 3 Feb 2013 19:13:13 11,777 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But apparently we can't afford to bed in a keeper with huge potential despite being 9 points clear and setting points records..

• WiseFool 3 Feb 2013 19:17:46 874 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I wouldn't swap De Gea for Hart either. De Gea is fantastic, he's improved so much already and will continue to do so. He has weaknesses for sure, but they are hugely exaggerated.

Here's Schmeichel's mistakes when he first joined United.
    Quoted from the comments:

1) a couple of them not mistakes,
    2) most of the mistakes in the video is with his foot. (He's a keeper)
    3) a handful of mistakes in his many years at united. How many mistakes has de Gea made in his 2 years at United?
    4) De gea is not comfortable saving balls with his hands. He's clumsy. He has good footwork. Great shot stopper, but can't hold on or punch the ball for shit.
    Anyway I only came here to see what mistakes Schemeichel made. And I'm commenting cause there is no comparison
  • THFourteen 3 Feb 2013 19:18:38 33,478 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great Gervinho will be back next week :-(
  • captbirdseye 3 Feb 2013 19:24:36 4,997 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    But apparently we can't afford to bed in a keeper with huge potential despite being 9 points clear and setting points records..
    3 years is not bedding in though.
  • reddevil93 3 Feb 2013 19:26:42 11,777 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    3 years is not bedding in though.
    Good thing it's his second...

• SolidSCB 3 Feb 2013 19:39:17 6,743 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Great ability, very little bottle at the moment. If he can sort out his confidence and get a bit more commanding, he'll be fine. I'd much rather us take a chance on a keeper that could potentially see us right for the next 10+ years than offload him, see him turn into a genuine world-class goalkeeper and make do with a series of 30 something stop-gaps. Our current league position affords us that luxury for the time being. If he proves to be a permanent bottler, fine, but I'd much rather see us give it a bit of time than miss out if/when he comes properly good. There is definitely a really, really good goalkeeper there, he just needs to be more assured in himself and stop being so sheepish in certain situations.
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Feb 2013 19:39:24 14,211 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    NotSoSlim wrote:
    Can i just ask why every keeper mistake De Gea's name is mentioned? Certain Arsenal keeper has been woeful but no mention.

Unless people cant spell his name correctly?
    Cause it's fun.
    This really.
    More so when guys like NotSoSlim fall for the bait.
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Feb 2013 19:41:45 14,211 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    but I wouldn't swap him for Hart or Reina or nearly every other keeper in the league.
    Not for Vorm, Lloris or Begovic? Who have all been consistenly better this season?
  • Syrette 3 Feb 2013 19:42:34 43,528 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Man Utd fans on here are over-defensive.

Liverpool fans on here are deluded.

Arsenal fans on here are over-dramatic.

Chelsea fans on here are from another planet.

Everton fans on here are, er, they're quite level-headed actually.

/popcorn

• Page

of 5487 First / Last