The all-new Premier League thread Page 3178

• Page

of 5502 First / Last

• kalel 28 Jan 2013 13:12:39 87,930 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He has a new deal on the table with us. It's up to him really.
  • faux-C 28 Jan 2013 13:13:03 9,398 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wonder what Hotlby's price is going to be in FPL.
  • kentmonkey 28 Jan 2013 13:13:37 20,719 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The guy really has no fucking clue what he's really like, does he:

(BBC Sport website)
    Here's some more from QPR manager Harry Redknapp who says his move to sign West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie may not go through as their interest has become "too public".

He says: "I don't know (whether the transfer will go ahead). It's a bit of a difficult situation for West Brom. It's not worked out in an ideal way. The whole situation has become a bit too public really hasn't it? I am sure West Brom are not too happy with the way it's gone.

"We made an enquiry. The enquiry leaked out and obviously the player decided he wanted to come to London and that's how it has worked out. I think too many people get involved in Twitter."
  • Ultrasoundwave 28 Jan 2013 13:18:32 3,319 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    enfilade wrote:
    b) Where the money has come from. Or where it's going to come from. After Ashley has been lauded for fixing our hideous wage structure (Xisco is still on £40k a week, supposedly - about as good value as Michael Johnson!) it seems odd that he would go to great lengths to upset the balance. Surely if Newcastle do fail to stay up we will be even more screwed than we were four years ago.
    Dont forget, Ba has gone, so that was £7 million in the bank AND his wages off the bill.

Yanga-Mbiwa cost £7 million, Gouffran was £1.5, Sissoko was (apparently) only £500k, Debuchy was £5 million and Haidara was allegedly £2.5 million.

So, grand total spending so far is £9.5 million(ish), which is what we spent on Cissť last january.

If the club has any sense, they'll try and offload a few in the next few days too : Ranger, Gosling, Xisco, Simpson and Obertan could easily be cut loose without affecting the squad. Because three of them are English, and therefore overpriced, we'd probably make that money back anyway!.

Interesting times at the Toon....

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• kentmonkey 28 Jan 2013 13:21:09 20,719 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Xisco won't go anywhere though, due to his silly wages.

That's the same problem we have: have average players on high wages and then nobody wants them as they don't want to sign for a wage that reflects their ability.

Although in Xisco's case, he'd be mad to consider the above anyway as he'd earn more being a shelf-stacker in Co-op.
  • Syrette 28 Jan 2013 13:22:56 43,598 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    I do think Holtby will run Michu for signing of the season. I know he only has a few months, but I suspect he'll make a big impact. Michu will win it, as long as he can score another five+ goals before the end of the campaign, due to his amazing start, but I'd be amazed if Holtby doesn't turn out to be anything other than a great signing.
    Watch much Schalke?

• kalel 28 Jan 2013 13:23:10 87,930 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    If the club has any sense, they'll try and offload a few in the next few days too : Ranger, Gosling, Xisco, Simpson and Obertan could easily be cut loose without affecting the squad. Because three of them are English, and therefore overpriced, we'd probably make that money back anyway!.

I asked this question the other day, but surely you must be pretty close to your limit on foreign squad players (not to mention close to your 25 player limit also).

I doubt shipping English players is an option for you. You'll need them just to make up the numbers.
  • kentmonkey 28 Jan 2013 13:27:40 20,719 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    I do think Holtby will run Michu for signing of the season. I know he only has a few months, but I suspect he'll make a big impact. Michu will win it, as long as he can score another five+ goals before the end of the campaign, due to his amazing start, but I'd be amazed if Holtby doesn't turn out to be anything other than a great signing.
    Watch much Schalke?
    Not much, no. I've seen Holtby, either via club games or internationals somewhere approaching 10 times over two seasons, so not much.

I've never seen him have a stinker though. In fact every game I've seen him play he's pretty much dictated. Less so internationally, admittedly, but that's more to do with the strength of that team. If he was playing for England, it'd be him and Jack dictating things. Those two together would be all sorts of awesome.
  • Ultrasoundwave 28 Jan 2013 13:31:00 3,319 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

I asked this question the other day, but surely you must be pretty close to your limit on foreign squad players (not to mention close to your 25 player limit also).

I doubt shipping English players is an option for you. You'll need them just to make up the numbers.
    You know what, the more i think about it the more i think this whole "25 man squad/foreign player limit" is a load of shite.

Obviously we have a large amount of foreigners, but other clubs do too. I wouldnt be surprised if theres some sort of way to fudge the paperwork by listing off a bunch of youth players as the English contingent.

Saying that though, we have Danny Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Steven Taylor, James Perch, Dan Gosling, Sammy Ameobi, Shola Ameobi, Shane Ferguson (think he counts?), Rob Elliot, Steve Harper, Adam Campbell, Paul Dummett and James Tavernier in and around the 1st team squad.

So we're not as foreign/frenchy as people think.....

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Petulant_Radish 28 Jan 2013 13:34:03 613 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @SuperCoolEskimo haha, it is a bit isn't it...I saw that retweeted and recognised your handle and picture from here is all, if I was actually stalking you I'd have set up some kind of sophisticated mirror and pulley system to watch your every move.
  • kalel 28 Jan 2013 13:35:53 87,930 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think you understand how the rule works. It's certainly not a load of shite and it's carefully enforced.

You may well have the required 8 homegrown players, but the point is that only allows you 17 remaining spots for foreigners (over 21). That's where it seems to me you might be in trouble.
  • kalel 28 Jan 2013 13:51:21 87,930 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyway, I did the maths and you're fine. You had 10 homegrowns named at the start of the season (amazingly) for a squad of just 22 in total, plus you've lost Ba, so it all works out. You've got one more space to fill in fact.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 28 Jan 2013 13:51:54 9,884 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So Everton are about to sign 'The Bouncer' Leroy Fer for £8m. Fellaini on his way?
  • faux-C 28 Jan 2013 13:53:09 9,398 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Isn't it more likely that Fer will get 6 months to bed in and then they'll let Fellaini go in the summer?
  • Dougs 28 Jan 2013 13:55:50 68,055 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, probably.
  • Dougs 28 Jan 2013 13:57:14 68,055 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whelan won't face punishment for his 2 footed tackle on Garcia. Ridiculous.
  • THFourteen 28 Jan 2013 14:31:30 33,616 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He's not that sort of player to be fair
  • FWB 28 Jan 2013 14:33:17 44,668 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Know nothing about him. Anyone watch Dutch football?
  • Trowel 28 Jan 2013 14:56:50 17,797 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Know nothing about him. Anyone watch Dutch football?
    He thinks horses can live in tower block flats.
  • FWB 28 Jan 2013 14:58:32 44,668 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just read that. :) Not the brightest spark, but then none of them really are. As long as he can play football.

Me thinks this will mean Fel is gone this week. It'd be great to have two of them and give Fer time to settle in, but that money must have come from somewhere.

Now if only Fel was British. We could get 100mil for him.

Edited by FWB at 15:00:40 28-01-2013
  • Trowel 28 Jan 2013 15:10:01 17,797 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd be surprised if Fellaini leaves this window. We're paying for Fer on the drip.
  • THFourteen 28 Jan 2013 15:21:03 33,616 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lol did people see this already?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2269223/Arsenal-fans-fight-banner-calling-Arsene-Wenger-quit.html

Didn't realise Dougs, kentmonkey and TBB were going on Saturday.
  • kentmonkey 28 Jan 2013 15:29:59 20,719 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's pretty shit actually that the guy waited until the 80th minute, when we were drawing and looking like facing the prospect of a replay, to unfurl the banner. For that alone I hope they did batter him on the head until his forehead resembled Gervinho's.

Either have the courage of your convictions, or don't.

Anyway, your analogy fails:

Dougs would have had to become physical when obviously he'd have asked to wait until the end of the fight to see what happens before he threw a punch.

I'd have spent ages talking about how the fight was going to happen, and predicting the outcome.

TBB would have analysed both of our physical performances until announcing that the supporters need a sports scientist.
  • THFourteen 28 Jan 2013 15:38:13 33,616 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lol

Funny thing is, I'm sure I've seen that banner before anyway
  • Dougs 28 Jan 2013 15:39:13 68,055 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The pic is even from the Chelsea game. It's not new.
  • Shikasama 28 Jan 2013 15:41:25 6,869 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Posts Dougs, massaging his fist
  • Feanor 28 Jan 2013 15:48:24 14,175 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    I wonder what Hotlby's price is going to be in FPL.
    I wonder how it will affect Bale's output.
  • teamHAM 28 Jan 2013 16:17:29 2,979 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

You know what, the more i think about it the more i think this whole "25 man squad/foreign player limit" is a load of shite.

Obviously we have a large amount of foreigners, but other clubs do too. I wouldnt be surprised if theres some sort of way to fudge the paperwork by listing off a bunch of youth players as the English contingent.

Saying that though, we have Danny Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Steven Taylor, James Perch, Dan Gosling, Sammy Ameobi, Shola Ameobi, Shane Ferguson (think he counts?), Rob Elliot, Steve Harper, Adam Campbell, Paul Dummett and James Tavernier in and around the 1st team squad.

So we're not as foreign/frenchy as people think.....
    Yeah, we are nowhere near the limit.

Also, we got nothing like 7m for Ba. The release clause was 7m but a large chunk of that was tied up IIRC in agent and player payoffs. The club received closer to 3.5-4m I think.

Also, I think Xisco's contract expires at the end of this season, so we can get his 50k a week off the bill.

Edited by teamHAM at 16:19:08 28-01-2013

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• kalel 28 Jan 2013 16:59:16 87,930 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, you have space for one more foreign player in your squad, so you're in fact as near the limit as you could possibly be.
  • kalel 28 Jan 2013 17:09:28 87,930 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Holtby official now. Could play in our next game. Woo, an actual signing! \o/
  • Page

of 5502 First / Last