The all-new Premier League thread Page 3177

• Page

of 5263 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 26 Jan 2013 17:03:31 16,854 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cozeny wrote:
    breaking news: official sighting of "worse than mcleish" on villa forum
    Heh, well, there is the argument that at least McLeish knew what he was doing, even if it was incredibly boring and shit. Lambert just seems a bit clueless now.

You are a factory of sadness.

• teamHAM 26 Jan 2013 17:09:40 2,771 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    First Wenger moaning because we are actually signing players in this window after signing one first teamer in the last window and letting quite a few go, and now we are paying Sissoko too much?

Orly?

If there is a team that someone wants to go on about for paying too much in wages, it certainly isn't Newcastle. Not now anyway. By all means when we went down fine. We had the 5th highest wage bill in the league and had 15 players on 50k p/w or more.

And yes, there is a lot of work that needs doing before we are safe. We have a tricky set of games coming up and we could remain down there for a while yet. It's not a foregone conclusion that we will survive. This is easily the best set of players Pardew has ever managed so we will now see what he is made of.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• enfilade 27 Jan 2013 01:05:04 211 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I must admit, as excited as I am by all of these new signings, I'm more than a little concerned by:

a) The sheer number of French-speakers at the club. Last year I remember Pardew commenting on how he had forbidden players from speaking French at the training facilities to force them to learn English and bond with the existing squad. That was commendable, but surely such a policy would not be realistic now, unless a good number of the new faces can speak a bit of English already (which, to my knowledge, they can't).

b) Where the money has come from. Or where it's going to come from. After Ashley has been lauded for fixing our hideous wage structure (Xisco is still on 40k a week, supposedly - about as good value as Michael Johnson!) it seems odd that he would go to great lengths to upset the balance. Surely if Newcastle do fail to stay up we will be even more screwed than we were four years ago.

c) Apparently we've put in a bid for Wilfried Bony, who is an out-and-out centre forward. Which means either Pardew's planning on playing a 4-4-2 after all (which is not our best formation by a long way) with Cisse and a new signing together, or he's planning on playing a 4-3-3 with Cisse on the wing (where he has been poor all season). Regardless of whether we get or Bony or not (we won't), it raises a big tactical question mark over how our signings are going to fit into a system.

If we don't beat Villa this Tuesday I'll be at the end of my tether. This season is killing me!
  • Jono62 27 Jan 2013 01:23:18 13,963 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You'll beat us, don't worry.
  • ecureuil 27 Jan 2013 01:25:45 76,530 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Peter Odemwingie had a twitter meltdown tonight. Funny stuff.
  • Syrette 27 Jan 2013 01:35:07 43,108 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds like he's had a few Guinnesses (genuinely).

https://twitter.com/OdemwingieP

Edited by Syrette at 01:35:24 27-01-2013

• ecureuil 27 Jan 2013 01:59:57 76,530 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Incredible tribute at Ibrox yesterday.
  • Dougs 27 Jan 2013 07:17:52 66,724 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Peter Odemwingie had a twitter meltdown tonight. Funny stuff.
    Remarkable stuff. Quite refreshing tbh.
  • faux_carnation 27 Jan 2013 12:25:51 9,089 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Who's going to be the first person to shoot me down if I say I'm pretty excited about Coutinho and we may just have got a bargain?

My money's on Shik :-P

Boatmurdered FC

• Tom_Servo 27 Jan 2013 12:28:14 17,330 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I saw him play a couple of seasons ago and he looked very good. However, the fact Inter are willing to let him go for such a low price makes me think he hasn't developed the way they were hoping. I'm sure he was being hyped as a great white hope at one point.

Worth a punt at 8.5m, you'd have to say.
  • faux_carnation 27 Jan 2013 12:33:27 9,089 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, the only reason he's so cheap is due to having dipped from what Inter expected. Rodgers has done a good job turning around some of our underperforming players, so hopefully he can do the same here.

Interesting read: http://inbedwithmaradona.com/the-100-for-2012/2012/12/3/philippe-coutinho.html

Boatmurdered FC

• captbirdseye 27 Jan 2013 12:35:18 4,787 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Who's going to be the first person to shoot me down if I say I'm pretty excited about Coutinho and we may just have got a bargain?

My money's on Shik :-P
    From what i understand he was pegged as the next Kaka whilst in Brazil but has been handled horribly at Inter (playing whilst injured) but 8.5 mill seems like a bit of a bargain.

One thing i can't understand is where he fits in the team?
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 27 Jan 2013 12:38:21 6,654 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Italian Football can be a graveyard for some careers. Mendieta died there.
  • ecureuil 27 Jan 2013 12:38:27 76,530 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With all the great players Liverpool have, Rodgers much have quite a headache trying to find a place for him in the side.
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Jan 2013 12:47:13 14,077 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wouldn't be the first time an italian club misused a potential young player (Henry?).

Of course, the fact he's brazilian doesn't help his case. If he didn't like the weather at Italy, he's in for it, especially at Liverpool.
    Still, will have Lucas to bed him.....in?

Edited by The-Bodybuilder at 12:50:03 27-01-2013
  • Syrette 27 Jan 2013 12:48:14 43,108 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Liverpool actually paying fair price for a player, I'd be excited too.

• President_Weasel 27 Jan 2013 13:15:37 8,984 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rodgers does seem to have some of the players who joined Liverpool and then disappeared playing like they were supposed to have been able to all along. Glen Johnson, who's been disappointing for years. Jordan Henderson, even.
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Jan 2013 13:38:49 14,077 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pretty sure Glen Johnson hasn't really changed since Rodgers came. He's still capable of going forward with intent with a few laspes defensively. He's been consistent for at least 2 seasons now.
  • Blakester 27 Jan 2013 13:45:08 3,580 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Pretty sure Glen Johnson hasn't really changed since Rodgers came. He's still capable of going forward with intent with a few laspes defensively. He's been consistent for at least 2 seasons now.
    Yep, easily one of our best players for a few years (although obviously there hasn't been a great deal of competition for that particular crown).

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• captbirdseye 27 Jan 2013 15:04:14 4,787 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I see Fernandes has been ranting on Twiiter today and said that if QPR go down he'll be the first to walk away :s.
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Jan 2013 16:22:23 14,077 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fair play to him though, at least he's no silant stan or Lerner and actually opens to the fans.

The sad thing is, I think he actually wants to make the right decisions, but he's always been put in lose-lose situations.

He had to get rid of Warnock, but didn't want to do it initially otherwise he'd be labelled gung-ho. So he did the "right" thing and waited. Sadly, it ended badly.

By then he had to choose a manager and there were few of quality available, so went with Sparky. He started implementing what he really wanted, to work on the background stuff; to improve facilities, put in a scouting network, begin work on the academy, scout for a new ground, etc. the "good things" he should do to build a long-term sustainable club. He also still didn't wanna be gung-ho, so had to back his manager.
    Unfortunately, Sparky is crap and thinks too highly of himself, and used him as if he was a Sheikh. Still, he backed him, to the point he finally had to bite-the-bullet.

It's also clear Harry was never his intended type of manager; he wants a young, progressive manager who wants to be involved in all fascet of the club (which in fairness, Hughes was, he was just crap on the pitch). Once again, fate left him in the position where no such manager was available and he had to go with Harry (who by all accounts, is as old-school as you can get, and doesn't care for all that fancy "director-type" stuff. Just wants players and a cheque-book) and now had to back him too.

Really think getting into the PL at this time was his undoing. If they were still in the championship, he could've got himself one of these new, progressive, young managers and started the building process ala Swansea and get into the PL when ready. Now he has to splash the cash to remain in the PL.
  • Tom_Servo 27 Jan 2013 16:22:37 17,330 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Drogba to Galatasaray on an 18-month deal, say Eurosport.
  • QotSAfan 27 Jan 2013 17:28:18 1,660 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Italian football has always been in a world of its own. I don't think its culture has ever largely reflected what is going on generally in the football world. Just look at their obsession with the back 3 at the moment.
  • Syrette 27 Jan 2013 17:32:41 43,108 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The amount of player-swaps and part-ownership transfer deals in Italy baffles me somewhat.

Very different culture to the PL.

• King_Edward 27 Jan 2013 17:37:54 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    QotSAfan wrote:
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Italian football has always been in a world of its own. I don't think its culture has ever largely reflected what is going on generally in the football world. Just look at their obsession with the back 3 at the moment.
    We'll all be doing that soon.
  • NotSoSlim 27 Jan 2013 18:20:02 3,116 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Galatasaray aint messing. Sneijder and Drogba
  • kalel 28 Jan 2013 12:47:26 86,420 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apparently we've signed Holtby for 1.5m.
  • faux_carnation 28 Jan 2013 13:07:58 9,089 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Still jealous of you guys getting Holtby. 1.5m for an extra 6 months sounds pretty decent.

Any idea if there's any truth in the rumours we might be signing Pritchard from you guys?

Boatmurdered FC

• Ultrasoundwave 28 Jan 2013 13:10:58 3,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Liverpool actually paying fair price for a player, I'd be excited too.
    I still cant help thinking the discussions went like this :

Liverpool - we want Coutinho, how much?
    Inter - Dunno....4 million?
    Liverpool - Absolutely no chance we're paying that!, heres 8.5 million....
    Inter - Okaaaaayyy......

Coutinho's agent - Oh, and he'll want 40,000 a week
    Liverpool - How about 75,000 a week WITH a sign-on fee?
    Coutinho's agent - Ha!Ha!.....oh, your serious?, sold!

Liverpool love spending lots of money....

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• kentmonkey 28 Jan 2013 13:11:23 20,451 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I do think Holtby will run Michu for signing of the season. I know he only has a few months, but I suspect he'll make a big impact. Michu will win it, as long as he can score another five+ goals before the end of the campaign, due to his amazing start, but I'd be amazed if Holtby doesn't turn out to be anything other than a great signing.
  • Page

of 5263 First / Last