The all-new Premier League thread Page 3136

• Page

of 5339 First / Last

• FWB 17 Jan 2013 15:59:35 44,091 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    Good to see Rodgers has taken the high road over it.
    Completely denying he does it and then slamming him when he admits it. Either he he is as blind as a bat or Rodgers was lying and is only concerned with how he looks. Another great PR stunt.

Edited by FWB at 16:01:49 17-01-2013
  • Shikasama 17 Jan 2013 16:06:40 6,711 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @President_Weasel

Thanks for that although I still don't think I understood. So a player's registration with a club and their contract with a club are two separate entities?

Clubs used this to hold on to a players registration even though his contract had expired, stopping him form going to another club. Now this has ended because if a player is within 6 months of his contract and negotiates terms with another club, his current club have to hand over his registration for free.

So with Colo, even if Newcastle cancelled his contract, because he isn't within six months, they can hold onto his registration and won't be obliged to pay him, because his contract isn't valid.

Unless he takes it to court and tests the validity of a his registration lasting beyond his contract
  • Mr_Sleep 17 Jan 2013 16:13:06 16,922 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    With Bale there's been contact. :)
    Sometimes. http://i.imgur.com/J7usU.gif

:)
    Even that you could argue he was just trying to take the sting out of what he thought was about to happen to him, but his big mistake was then appealing for the foul, which was ridiculous and has basically cost him his reputation. Rightly so really.

Still think recently he's been making every effort to sort it out though, which is something.
    I'm generally on the side of Bale with regards of his diving as he is a player that gets kicked and fouled and he's running at such pace that it could be serious if he doesn't take action to not be broken but in the case of the Guzan one, it really did just seem like a massive dive to me. I give him the benefit of the doubt in almost all of them, apart from that one. Probably bias on my part :-)

You are a factory of sadness.

• FWB 17 Jan 2013 16:15:35 44,091 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Really feeling sorry for Newcastle.
  • reddevil93 17 Jan 2013 16:16:09 11,504 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can't clauses be included in contracts to prevent them working for someone else for a certain amount of time?

• FWB 17 Jan 2013 16:25:38 44,091 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Suspect that would go against EU law.
  • morriss 17 Jan 2013 16:27:12 70,918 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's happened to Newcastle?

@rawkmeltdown is amazing right now.
  • Shikasama 17 Jan 2013 16:27:26 6,711 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Non compete covenants are really common. You aren't allowed to work for a competitor and you get a sack of cash to compensate.

A lot of people on here will have one
  • TheSaint 17 Jan 2013 16:28:29 14,272 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think you still get them. Didn't AVB have one when he left Chelsea, or was that just a condition of his pay off?
  • kalel 17 Jan 2013 16:32:14 86,805 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, gardening leave is completely standard.
  • reddevil93 17 Jan 2013 16:32:32 11,504 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    Non compete covenants are really common. You aren't allowed to work for a competitor and you get a sack of cash to compensate.

A lot of people on here will have one
    I would generally have heard about it through pro-wrestling so no expert bit seem like they could be the best thing to implement to prevent this type if situation.

• Shikasama 17 Jan 2013 16:32:32 6,711 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    But like Kalel and President_Weasel alluded to, it seems that football contracts have very little in common with standard UK employment law
  • nickthegun 17 Jan 2013 16:32:59 59,365 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Boab wrote:
    Good to see Rodgers has taken the high road over it.
    Completely denying he does it and then slamming him when he admits it. Either he he is as blind as a bat or Rodgers was lying and is only concerned with how he looks. Another great PR stunt.
    The entire gist of their next conversation will be 'youve made me look like a right cunt'.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• TheSaint 17 Jan 2013 16:37:03 14,272 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Obviously nobody briefed Rogers on Liverpool's always the victim siege mentality.
  • kalel 17 Jan 2013 16:40:58 86,805 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    But like Kalel and President_Weasel alluded to, it seems that football contracts have very little in common with standard UK employment law
    They almost seem to exist in their own little legal bubble. It's actually illegal to discuss a contract with a player who's contracted to another team without that team's permission. That's nuts when you think about it. Imagine that in the real world.

You can even done for "tapping up" just for mentioning another player's name as someone you might like to play for your team.

It's not even that it's all outside the normal law, it has a legal system of its own.
  • FWB 17 Jan 2013 16:46:32 44,091 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fair enough.
  • Shikasama 17 Jan 2013 17:28:02 6,711 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It sounds like a player could fundamentally change the face of football by challenging this stuff in court.

I suppose it is one of those things, when it's working it is SO good to you that rocking the boat when it fucks you over doesn't make sense. I'd imagine there'd be a lot of pressure from interested parties to not take it that far aswell.

It's amazing that you don't see the Webster Rule used more, imagine how much cheaper someone like Jay Rodriguez would have been
  • FutileResistor 17 Jan 2013 17:57:18 1,226 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    They almost seem to exist in their own little legal bubble. It's actually illegal to discuss a contract with a player who's contracted to another team without that team's permission. That's nuts when you think about it. Imagine that in the real world.

You can even done for "tapping up" just for mentioning another player's name as someone you might like to play for your team.

It's not even that it's all outside the normal law, it has a legal system of its own.
    It's not illegal, it's against Premier League/FA/FIFA rules which you agree to abide by if you want to play in the professional structure. Just like FFP or fielding under-age players or whatever there are sanctions for breaking the rule.
  • teamHAM 17 Jan 2013 18:13:28 2,860 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It looks like Marseille are set to land Moussa Sissoko for just £2.5m before 'Arry comes in with 85k p/w that is.

Edited by teamHAM at 18:14:01 17-01-2013

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• FutileResistor 17 Jan 2013 18:24:50 1,226 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For that kind of money, there should be a few premier league teams interested.
  • kalel 17 Jan 2013 18:58:55 86,805 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    It sounds like a player could fundamentally change the face of football by challenging this stuff in court.
    The closest its comes was Ashley Cole when Arsenal were refusing to sell him to Chelsea. Arsenal bent in the end, as again, no one player is worth the whole system crashing down.
  • Dougs 17 Jan 2013 19:06:53 67,025 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Darren Fletcher has undergone bowel surgery to try and fix his colitis. Poor fucker.
  • FutileResistor 17 Jan 2013 19:21:17 1,226 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hope he comes back fit. United's most reliable and seriously underrated CM before all this and the only one with the energy to win the ball back.
  • Mr_Sleep 17 Jan 2013 19:24:10 16,922 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    It looks like Marseille are set to land Moussa Sissoko for just £2.5m before 'Arry comes in with 85k p/w that is.
    Lots of rumours about him to Villa but honestly, unless we offer that class of player a whole bunch of money they are clearly not going to move to a relegation struggler with a fairly unproven manager and not in a cosmopolitan city.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Dougs 17 Jan 2013 19:26:33 67,025 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Britain's 2nd City?!
  • thenastypasty 17 Jan 2013 19:32:19 5,180 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Darren Fletcher has undergone bowel surgery to try and fix his colitis. Poor fucker.

I suffer from the same complaint and can testify that when you get a flair up its totally debilitating. Having surgery is the last resort and most of the time you end up with a bag.

I really would be surprised if he comes back from this. It's a real shame as I rate him highly as a ball winning central midfielder.

Edited by thenastypasty at 19:32:42 17-01-2013
  • ecureuil 17 Jan 2013 19:39:58 76,659 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Yup, many Liverpool fans backing Suarez. They're an absolute disaster of a football club these days.
  • Trowel 17 Jan 2013 19:45:14 17,533 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Yup, many Liverpool fans backing Suarez. They're an absolute disaster of a football club these days.
    FourthOfficial retweeted this yesterday (great timing):

“@OLearyLFC91: If Suarez leaves in the Summer. Henry should sue the papers. Or any sort of media outlet that have ridiculed Suarez. #LFC”
  • Trowel 17 Jan 2013 20:32:12 17,533 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
  • captbirdseye 17 Jan 2013 20:53:32 4,845 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any Utd fans care to share their thoughts on Frazier Campbell? He's agreed personal terms with us (Cardiff) and should sign tomorrow.
  • Page

of 5339 First / Last