The all-new Premier League thread Page 3116

• Page

of 5249 First / Last

• kalel 14 Jan 2013 10:59:10 86,329 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    kalel wrote:To suggest it's "rot" implies something wrong at the heart of your club. Something that can and needs to be changed.
    Our club has become a money making exercise by which fans are charged the highest ticket prices in the country, and none of that money is reinvested in the team.

I don't see that happening at Spurs or Everton.
    That'll be because you're not a Spur or Everton fan.

This is by far the most common moan on Spurs boards. I also expect our ticket prices to excede yours once we have our new stadium.
  • LeD 14 Jan 2013 10:59:16 6,209 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    LeD wrote:
    You're too knowledgeable about football to not see the deeply rooted problems at Arsenal. The rot is starting to set in. Do you think Levy would have any of it if he were in charge?
    I think you're being over-dramatic, and losing perspective. What has Levy done that is so different to your board? What is this "rot" you're on about? You're sightly under-performing, but still doing pretty well.

Honestly, where do you think this awful trajectory you're supposedly on will take you?
    I suppose you're right, must be a Monday thing. :)

What had Levy done differently? As I said, he took bold steps in replacing Harry, who did well by you I thought, he seems also very involved in transfers, and had a hand in many good recruits and retaining Modric's services for an extra year instead of bending over.

The rot I talk about is the lack of action or reaction. I've been a fervent Wenger supporter, but it's now come to the point where I can no longer argue against ever diminishing returns, be it in terms of players coming in, effort on the pitch, the football "that we like to play" (to quote him).

I honestly think we'll end up mid-table, and as I said elsewhere, no shame in that if you've given it your best shot. It doesn't look that way right now, from coaching to transfers, team selection, subs, attitute on the pitch and so on

To use a cold hard fact as evidence: Koscielny. Everytime he comes on he does something stupid. So why is he still trusted to partner Vermaelen or Mertesacker, who are hardly world beating defenders as it stands? Why are the alternatives at the club either shit (Squilacci), shit/on loan (Djourou), or young and inexperienced (Miguel)?
    When another team suffers an injury blow or something, it always seem covered by a player nobody's heard of but turns out to be a revelation, or someone playing out of position who will do quite well.
    With us these days, it's always a catastrophe.
  • Dougs 14 Jan 2013 10:59:19 66,652 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We punched above our weight for ages, mainly down to AW and his ability in the transfer market. He/the Board saw that couldn't continue forever so pushed for a new stadium that will enable us to compete long terms (talking 20/30/40 years). That has meant some short-term impact on funds available to invest, which I think we are seeing the end of now. Added to that, we've had Chelsea and City come in with resources we can't compete with, and it's that that has pushed us down. Even last year, we finished 3rd. Given our resources, 4th is about where we're at. I think the biggest problem this year is that it's pretty much a new team and that's taking a lot longer to sort out than AW or anyone anticipated.
  • Youthist 14 Jan 2013 10:59:41 10,010 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When watching on TV, the camera gantry position always creates illusion of less space. West Ham, qpr and the new wembley have this problem as camera is much flatter.

The pitch really isn't that much smaller at QPR.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• LeD 14 Jan 2013 11:02:39 6,209 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've just realised I've been hogging the last few pages! Sorry guys! :(
  • kalel 14 Jan 2013 11:05:00 86,329 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    When watching on TV, the camera gantry position always creates illusion of less space. West Ham, qpr and the new wembley have this problem as camera is much flatter.

The pitch really isn't that much smaller at QPR.
    Just been checking and I could be completely wrong about this one actually. It did used to be narrow, but the rule seemingly is that they all have to be the same size "where possible". QPR could still be smaller, but maybe not.

You could well be right about the angle.
  • Deleted user 14 January 2013 11:06:41
    I love, as a Leeds fan, coming in here and hearing you lot whinging about your teams.
  • Ultrasoundwave 14 Jan 2013 11:15:47 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jesus Smith!

Apparently we're after another Frenchie - papers saying we're going to pip 5under1and to Moussa Sissoko.

Again, mooted price being 3.5 million. Im pretty sure Arsenal were going to sign him for 15 million at one point last year.......?

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Blotto 14 Jan 2013 11:15:54 2,712 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    4th is about where we're at. I think the biggest problem this year is that it's pretty much a new team and that's taking a lot longer to sort out than AW or anyone anticipated.
    Think this is pretty much dead on. My problem is simply that the team are frustratingly dull to watch this year. "Lesser" teams know how to play against us, making every game about as exciting as watching Stoke and against "Better" teams it seems the best we can hope for is to hold them to a draw.

I haven't really got a problem with playing for fourth every year because the enjoyment that I get from football comes from watching my team and coming fourth every year means that the team won a significant amount of their games making that a pretty entertaining season for me as a fan. Plus the amount of teams that are fighting for it makes it sort of the title for non-doped teams (United aside).

What I do have a problem with is how frustratingly dull we are, past 4/5 seasons we've still be entertaining, just not good enough for the title. This year we're just dull and lacking any spark/desire/whatever you want to call it.
  • Deleted user 14 January 2013 11:16:50
    HairyArse wrote:
    I love, as a Leeds fan, coming in here and hearing you arsenal lot whinging about your team.
    fixed :D
  • kalel 14 Jan 2013 11:17:18 86,329 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, Sissoko has turned out to be shit.
  • Ultrasoundwave 14 Jan 2013 11:18:25 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Yeah, Sissoko has turned out to be shit.
    Link?

• kalel 14 Jan 2013 11:27:17 86,329 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shit
  • The-Bodybuilder 14 Jan 2013 11:32:36 14,057 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This arsenal team isn't new, its not any newer than the Chelsea or even the spurs team (they are working with a new cb partnership, a new cm partnership and a relatively newish strike partnership.

The only "new" starters in this team are podolski, giroud and Caz. Everyone else were there from last season. It surely doesn't take more than 2 seasons to get a team going, unless they're really sh*t.
  • Deleted user 14 January 2013 11:33:15
    Was that a moderator I saw? In this thread?

/swoon etc
  • The-Bodybuilder 14 Jan 2013 11:34:03 14,057 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    although in fairness, spurs strike partnership isn't new per se, but its the first time Ade and the-foe have an extended run at a partnership, much like wilshere and Arteta.
  • captbirdseye 14 Jan 2013 11:37:22 4,782 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nasri and Chamakh yesterday :S
  • TheSaint 14 Jan 2013 11:38:15 14,199 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Most of these articles praising Man City for their stance against excessive ticket prices seem to be neglecting to mention how much they charge away fans. Earlier in the season they were charging us 52 for tickets in the away end.

Sixty two quid to watch last years 1st V 3rd play seems quite good value compared to 52 to watch last years 1st V 2nd in the Championship.
  • kalel 14 Jan 2013 11:39:51 86,329 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Bit weird. Why were they just walking around like that?

Wanker fans though.

EDIT: As in those specific fans. Every club has them sadly...

Edited by kalel at 11:44:36 14-01-2013
  • teamHAM 14 Jan 2013 11:42:18 2,749 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Jesus Smith!

Apparently we're after another Frenchie - papers saying we're going to pip 5under1and to Moussa Sissoko.

Again, mooted price being 3.5 million. Im pretty sure Arsenal were going to sign him for 15 million at one point last year.......?
    Sissoko is fine. Certainly better than Tiote (and most of the rest of our mid) on his form this season. Apparently we were going after him in the summer as his contract will be up but Toulouse have been saying they will accept 3.5m this window to get interest before they lose him for nothing.

It looks like now that other team have made an approach so have we about taking him in this window.

Fingers crossed.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Shikasama 14 Jan 2013 11:42:27 6,604 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The new rule about pitch sizes brought in was that you can't change them from game to game as you used to be able to.
    Lawro already tried to pull that one!

12 Inches
    Writes Mark Lawrenson in his predictions column for The BBC Website:

'It is another London derby following QPR's win over their neighbours Chelsea in their last Premier League game, and Loftus Road is a tight pitch too, which might negate the impact of Spurs widemen Gareth Bale and Aaron Lennon and work in QPR's favour.'

Width of the Loftus Road pitch: 72 yards.

Width of the White Hart Lane pitch: 73 yards.

That extra 36 inches clearly makes quite a difference.
  • Ultrasoundwave 14 Jan 2013 11:46:45 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Jesus Smith!

Sissoko is fine. Certainly better than Tiote (and most of the rest of our mid) on his form this season. Apparently we were going after him in the summer as his contract will be up but Toulouse have been saying they will accept 3.5m this window to get interest before they lose him for nothing.

It looks like now that other team have made an approach so have we about taking him in this window.

Fingers crossed.
    Forget about it, Kalel has said hes turned out to be shit. Although i get the feeling that if it turns out that Spurs get him he wont be shit anymore......

• kalel 14 Jan 2013 11:46:46 86,329 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Again, it's not just the width but the length which ids also a yard or two, which I think would create a fair bit of difference up in the diagonals where wingers operate.

But I've also already backtracked on this somewhat anyway.
  • Dougs 14 Jan 2013 11:50:43 66,652 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Plus Wilshere, who may as well be a new signing seeing he's barely played with the rest. Add in Theo being tried more up front, attacking-wise it's pretty new and why in some games we're pretty ineffective. Doesn't excuse the defensive lapses though
  • kalel 14 Jan 2013 11:51:32 86,329 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Forget about it, Kalel has said hes turned out to be shit. Although i get the feeling that if it turns out that Spurs get him he wont be shit anymore......
    No you're the right. The reason he's halved in value and no longer interesting the top teams is because he's amazing.
  • Youthist 14 Jan 2013 11:53:38 10,010 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I do think it is one of those grounds where the fans are right on top of you down the flanks. Having some tossers screaming abuse right up in your face is more intimidating than having a bit of space between pitch side and the fans.

Also I think having a little more space to run off the pitch means you can give it a little more when playing around the edge of the pitch imo. I would think this might or at least coule lessen the impact of Bale / Lennon et al.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Shikasama 14 Jan 2013 11:53:42 6,604 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    According to Wikipedia Loftus Road is longer by a couple of yards.

Must be hugely frustrating for a manager when a team is just packing men behind the ball, there isn't a huge amount you can do about it apart from hope for a bit of magic/luck.
  • THFourteen 14 Jan 2013 11:55:54 32,857 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Jesus Christ.

I cant stand Nasri as much as the next person, but some people are serious wankers. Fucking arseholes.

although i do ask the question why was nasri stupid enough to think he could walk to the stadium!
  • Ultrasoundwave 14 Jan 2013 11:56:36 3,264 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    No you're the right. The reason he's halved in value and no longer interesting the top teams is because he's amazing.
    No you're right, its nothing to do with his contract expiring in 6 months.

Jesus.

• Dougs 14 Jan 2013 11:57:21 66,652 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:

Wanker fans though.

EDIT: As in those specific fans. Every club has them sadly...
    Yeah, was quite depressing to see. :-/
  • Page

of 5249 First / Last