The all-new Premier League thread Page 3115

  • Page

    of 5389 First / Last

  • captbirdseye 14 Jan 2013 10:13:00 4,868 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Youthist

    BBC are reporting a fake twitter announcement by Zaha that some kid did on photoshop.
  • kalel 14 Jan 2013 10:14:32 87,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Although you may not know who George Graham is now that I think about it.
  • Youthist 14 Jan 2013 10:14:43 10,010 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh this might be common knowledge - carry on if so

    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

  • Deleted user 14 January 2013 10:15:51
    Youthist wrote:
    I am hearing zaha is off to manu.
    If we do get him Nani is certainly gone. I'd much rather have Nani, Zaha seems like Walcott 2.0
  • kalel 14 Jan 2013 10:16:31 87,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Would be a bit ridiculous to let Nani got for Zaha. ALthough you'd probably save a bunch on wages.
  • morriss 14 Jan 2013 10:20:51 70,943 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    I think Paul Doyle's Guardian match report was spot on. As Spurs fans we should be worried or at least uncomfortable after Saturday's draw. It is from here that our last two seasons have collapsed and we drew against the bottom side who yeah, parked the bus, but we played poorly and statically. This coupled with the fact that Man U are coming next Sunday could be the start of yet another dip in form when it matters.

    I'm very tentative.
    I think we had the same discussion last year, so I'll try not to do it again, but these things can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. I hope there's no sense of being tentative, worried or uncomfortable in our team.
    Scott Parker was interviewed saying the players were all aware of it an are determined etc. I'm not going to prophesize doom and gloom but I think given the last two years' collapse it's valid cause for concern.
  • LeD 14 Jan 2013 10:21:24 6,237 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    So you started supporting arsenal around 2001-2002 then? What made you start supporting them then?





    Oh. The double.
    Not quite. I arrived in London in may 2000 looking for work, and watched Euro 2000 with the people I shared a flat with at the time. That's how I got 'into Football' really, more so than watching France win it in 1998. I had no idea who Arsenal and Wenger were, but when I heard they were signing Henry, Pires and Wiltord, and already had Viera, I started to follow them. So I supported them 'in time' for the double, not because of it! :)

    Your point and kalel's still stand, I agree that I've been supporting them through the best years, it doesn't mean that I can't be vocal in my concerns. I'll still be here next year, and the year after that. I am frankly dismayed that nothing's been done to adress any of our issues, for the last 4-5 years, and I don't understand how/why.
  • Deleted user 14 January 2013 10:21:55
    The only reason I can see for getting rid of Nani is that Fergie has had a fall out with him.

    Edited by iHAZaCHEEZ3burger at 10:23:07 14-01-2013
  • kalel 14 Jan 2013 10:26:39 87,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    I think Paul Doyle's Guardian match report was spot on. As Spurs fans we should be worried or at least uncomfortable after Saturday's draw. It is from here that our last two seasons have collapsed and we drew against the bottom side who yeah, parked the bus, but we played poorly and statically. This coupled with the fact that Man U are coming next Sunday could be the start of yet another dip in form when it matters.

    I'm very tentative.
    I think we had the same discussion last year, so I'll try not to do it again, but these things can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. I hope there's no sense of being tentative, worried or uncomfortable in our team.
    Scott Parker was interviewed saying the players were all aware of it an are determined etc. I'm not going to prophesize doom and gloom but I think given the last two years' collapse it's valid cause for concern.
    It's something to be aware of but I'm not quite sure it's a trend as such. Last year was a bit freaks and more than a little to do with Harry being massively distracted. The year before iirc we didn't really collapse. If anything we clawed ourselves back a bit towards the end of the season. Our league form suffered most when we were in the Champions League, which really seemed to take it out of us.

    Difference circumstances, different manager and different season - not to mention having a good deal of our hardest fixtures out the way in the first half of the season (and getting a couple of good results from them).

    Whether our current excellent run will continue I dont know but I really doubt there'll be a collapse. FWIW I thought Saturday was very much according to plan really. You can't win every single game, but drawing the ones you struggle to win (and without conceding) is good.
  • THFourteen 14 Jan 2013 10:27:35 33,196 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:
    The only reason I can see for getting rid of Nani is that Fergie has had a fall out with him.
    i can think of another reason - his butt ugly face
  • LeD 14 Jan 2013 10:30:05 6,237 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I never said I was going to stop watching my team or called for a complete overhaul of the club, and certainly not based on being 5th in the league. That is genuinely laughable.
    It would be if that's what I had written, I said I don't want to watch them play, it doesn't mean that I will, and you know that full well.

    Please don't insult your intelligence with this 'based on being 5th in the league'. Why don't you pull the 'you're only 6 points off 4th place with a game in hand' card while you're at it? :)
    You're too knowledgeable about football to not see the deeply rooted problems at Arsenal. The rot is starting to set in. Do you think Levy would have any of it if he were in charge?
  • morriss 14 Jan 2013 10:30:41 70,943 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Kalel

    All good points, yep.

    Here's the article. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/13/qpr-tottenham-hotspur-premier-league

    Edited by morriss at 10:31:14 14-01-2013
  • Shikasama 14 Jan 2013 10:33:21 6,757 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    IF somebody was saying this to me I'd think it was ridiculous, but I wonder if Saturday's draw had anything to do with loyalty to Harry.

    I don't mean that the players actively went out there to not win, but I could understand on some level not wanting to stick the boot into the guy who was in charge of you a couple of months ago while he is fighting relegation.
  • Youthist 14 Jan 2013 10:35:08 10,010 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You are correct, that is utterly ridiculous.

    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

  • LeD 14 Jan 2013 10:35:31 6,237 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    @LeD

    Why don't you support your local club?
    I did in a way, as I only started following footable when I lived in London, where I stayed for 8 years. I never thought I was going back to France, and when I did, I just couldn't get into French Football. Still try to watch the odd game on TV, but it bores me to tears more often than not!
  • captbirdseye 14 Jan 2013 10:38:13 4,868 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @LeD

    Was just curious why. Who are your local team?
  • THFourteen 14 Jan 2013 10:38:15 33,196 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    the thing about collapsing is that you still need a team to catch up to you.

    last year you collapsed and we did our best even at the end to try and let you get it.

    this year if you collapse i don't know if we will even get there in the first place! which leaves only everton to catch you up really, and i dont think they have the strength in depth.

    next up chelsea away!
  • kalel 14 Jan 2013 10:38:51 87,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeD wrote:
    You're too knowledgeable about football to not see the deeply rooted problems at Arsenal. The rot is starting to set in. Do you think Levy would have any of it if he were in charge?
    I think you're being over-dramatic, and losing perspective. What has Levy done that is so different to your board? What is this "rot" you're on about? You're sightly under-performing, but still doing pretty well.

    Honestly, where do you think this awful trajectory you're supposedly on will take you?
  • LeD 14 Jan 2013 10:38:59 6,237 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One for you Spurs fan, do you think AVB could be Spurs's young version of Wenger? It looks like he's given more power than previous managers, has strong ties with the market he comes from, is changing the club's culture, etc.
  • kalel 14 Jan 2013 10:40:26 87,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    IF somebody was saying this to me I'd think it was ridiculous, but I wonder if Saturday's draw had anything to do with loyalty to Harry.

    I don't mean that the players actively went out there to not win, but I could understand on some level not wanting to stick the boot into the guy who was in charge of you a couple of months ago while he is fighting relegation.
    We really did try quite hard to win.

    I think our main issue was that QPR pitch. It's titchy and so narrow. We couldn't get any width going at all, which is basically our main strength.
  • kalel 14 Jan 2013 10:43:08 87,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeD wrote:
    One for you Spurs fan, do you think AVB could be Spurs's young version of Wenger? It looks like he's given more power than previous managers, has strong ties with the market he comes from, is changing the club's culture, etc.
    It's certainly what Levy wants him to be. That has been his plan for a long time - Hoddle, Santini, Ramos...

    Redknapp was the only deviation from the plan and that was really just to get us out of a hole.
  • LeD 14 Jan 2013 10:43:09 6,237 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    @LeD

    Was just curious why. Who are your local team?
    Currently this would be the mighty Angouleme :) or Bordeaux, about 100km from where I lived and where I was a student.
  • THFourteen 14 Jan 2013 10:43:33 33,196 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote: What is this "rot" you're on about? You're sightly under-performing, but still doing pretty well.

    Honestly, where do you think this awful trajectory you're supposedly on will take you?
    I think he's talking about the gradual decline over the last 6 years. Surely even you can see that every year we sell our best players and buy worse players as replacements. Thats a "rot".

    Don't want to get involved in the arguments about how x or y fan supports their team, but i would say that we are definitley getting worse year on year.

    And if that continues who knows where it will take us. Not me. Not you.
  • TheSaint 14 Jan 2013 10:45:49 14,308 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeD I think you need to bear in mind a couple of things:

    The grass isn't always greener with a new manager. For every AVB at Spurs you'll find plenty of appointments who make their new team worse / less attractive to new signings.

    Going through a bad patch makes the winning all the sweeter when you get out of it.
  • TheSaint 14 Jan 2013 10:49:14 14,308 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    IF somebody was saying this to me I'd think it was ridiculous, but I wonder if Saturday's draw had anything to do with loyalty to Harry.

    I don't mean that the players actively went out there to not win, but I could understand on some level not wanting to stick the boot into the guy who was in charge of you a couple of months ago while he is fighting relegation.
    We really did try quite hard to win.

    I think our main issue was that QPR pitch. It's titchy and so narrow. We couldn't get any width going at all, which is basically our main strength.
    I'm fairly sure all Premier League pitches are the same size now.
  • Youthist 14 Jan 2013 10:51:07 10,010 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spurs pitch is about a metre wider I think. No more though.

    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

  • kalel 14 Jan 2013 10:51:15 87,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Your decline is partly a perspective thing due to City leap-frogging through doping, and the likes of us and Everton improving. OK, you have got a bit worse and you have failed to replace your very best players with equal quality, but I think it's more that you've been pushed down a bit, as opposed to it being a continual downward spiral. I can't see you falling lower than where you are now.

    To suggest it's "rot" implies something wrong at the heart of your club. Something that can and needs to be changed. I don't think this is the case, or at least not as easily as you think. Competing above the level where you're at will be incredibly difficult whoever you have.

    The biggest thing I think you should fear is a change of manager. I know the feeling is that you could do better, but I think Arsenal fans have been spared the managerial roller-coaster and all the disruption and chaos that causes, and don't have perspective on just how hard it is to find a consistent long term quality manager.
  • kalel 14 Jan 2013 10:54:47 87,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    All the pitches are different sizes, some significantly so.

    I think WHL is a couple of metres wider and longer, meaning there's a fair bit extra space up where the wingers operate. It really was noticeable when watching the game. You could just see the lack of space.
  • THFourteen 14 Jan 2013 10:56:22 33,196 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:To suggest it's "rot" implies something wrong at the heart of your club. Something that can and needs to be changed.
    Our club has become a money making exercise by which fans are charged the highest ticket prices in the country, and none of that money is reinvested in the team.

    I dont mind paying if the money goes towards the team, but it isn't, its going in peoples pockets.

    To my mind that is something very wrong at the heart of the club and no sign of changing.

    I don't see that happening at Spurs or Everton.
  • kalel 14 Jan 2013 10:57:48 87,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The new rule about pitch sizes brought in was that you can't change them from game to game as you used to be able to.
  • Page

    of 5389 First / Last

Log in or register to reply