The all-new Premier League thread Page 3099

• Page

of 5384 First / Last

• FutileResistor 10 Jan 2013 21:18:18 1,226 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Do Arsenal pay youngsters much money, considering they have quite a lot of them from round the world on the books, that might not allow them a lot of high earners.
    Quite a bit, but we're slowly getting rid of young players we gave large salaries to in order to try and retain them. On the whole its pretty equal with a few top earners. What has cost us is a) players like Denilson, Diaby and Bendtner failing to deliver, b) weak commercial deals that were necessary at the time of the move and c) other buys that were expensive that haven't worked out.
    That's complete rubbish. Denilson was 3.1m, Diaby was about 2m and Bendtner was a youth product. How often does a 3m or 2m player come good? You would have a stronger argument citing Wiltord and Arshavin.

Wenger has secured the future of your club by investing at youth and promising player level. You buy lots of promising players relatively cheaply and some will come good but even if they don't it's not a financial disaster. It's smart and as I've said before I'm not sure why more clubs don't do it.

However, just by tweaking the wage structure Arsenal would have been able to retain their best players and competed for the last 10 years instead of losing their best players and having to replace them and rebuild.
  • Dougs 10 Jan 2013 21:24:59 67,191 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm talking wages. Denilson is on 40-50k,Bendtner 52k nd Diaby 60k. Too high to offload the first 2 and we've been subsidising their wages whilst on loan for the last 2 seasons. That's poor use of resources. I get why he tried it (to avoid losing them on frees like Flamini and nearly Hleb). Add in others like Chamakh (60k), Squillaci(40k) and Park (fuck knows but anything is a waste) and there's another huge chunk that meant we couldn't afford to pay Nasri and Rvp what thy wanted. They may well have left anyway, but regardless, that's a lot of cash that can't be used better.

Edit : that's not to say I don't agree he's done well. He has, and it was out of necessity, but we're out of that now. It's just some things didn't go as he planned/hoped and that's restricted us a touch.

Edited by Dougs at 21:28:27 10-01-2013
  • kentmonkey 10 Jan 2013 21:40:01 20,586 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's a 'youth' player, yet to make an appearance in the PL, who is unlikely to make it, not just at us but in the Championship either, on (approx) 12k. He won't be the only one.

We can't get rid as nobody in their right mind will pay him that much. He'd arguably be lucky to pick up 2k somewhere else.

The squad is littered with them. It's not worked, but yet we persist (Rambo, look, we know you've been shit but we want to extend your contract anyway on (rumoured) 40k wages so that we can never get rid of you). Not just picking on him, he's the obvious one at this stage, but we're riddled with them on long term deals, won't renew the contracts of our better players until the last minute (continually) and refuse to give more than one years contracts to our over 30 players, unless their name is Rosicky, meaning that we lose really useful players like Gilberto in favour of rewarding muppets like Denilson with longer contracts.

We haven't recovered from that and until we learn from it (and not just say we have but actually change our approach) we won't compete, as we can't.
  • FutileResistor 10 Jan 2013 21:44:16 1,226 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As I said, tweak the wage structure so that you pay everyone else a little less and keep your top players by paying them more.

There is no fundamental reason for Arsenal not to be able to retain their top players other than the weird wage structure.

Edited by FutileResistor at 21:45:25 10-01-2013
  • The-Bodybuilder 10 Jan 2013 21:45:57 14,136 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    Looks like it's Spurs in for Negredo...
    OMG I'm fucking livid, I really wanted Geribo I am totally disgusted with the board and the manager and the kit man and the bus driver and that cunt who always runs out of ham rolls at the food counter.
    You forgot to decide he's a winger
    heh, dont care much for negrito. Podolski is more suitable.
    btw, Holtby spent an entire season playing on the left wing, just incase you're not aware.
  • morriss 10 Jan 2013 21:49:27 70,943 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    All ITKlol dont even mention Negredo. Usually aften a story breaks people come out of the woodwork spouting 'insider info' but nothing.

Edited by morriss at 21:50:19 10-01-2013
  • The-Bodybuilder 10 Jan 2013 21:53:30 14,136 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    get why he tried it (to avoid losing them on frees like Flamini and nearly Hleb). Pretty sure he did it on his own philosophy that even player wages leads to player harmonies. He only just recently confirmed it.

It was flawed from the get go. He should've read a copy of animal firm when he was at school. :-P

All players are equal, but RVP is more equal than others.
  • The-Bodybuilder 10 Jan 2013 21:57:50 14,136 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kentmonkey At academy level, arsenal are effectively the Chelsea and City of that world. We've regularly out-priced all our other competitors to pay higher wages to make sure we get our players. We've regularly out-priced even United and Ajax in the past to get academy players.
  • morriss 10 Jan 2013 21:59:25 70,943 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Guillem Ballache or whatelet hus name is :)

"He was considered by Chelsea before Demba Ba, but not now. Spurs ARE NOT talking to him either. So after all it might have been a wasted trip for del Nido. "
  • Orange 10 Jan 2013 21:59:46 4,743 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Seville are desperate to sell, even more so than Inter with Sneijder.
  • kentmonkey 10 Jan 2013 22:43:25 20,586 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @The-Bodybuilder I only know of one instance but yeah, it would definitely appear that we're massively overpaying the Eastmonds, Watts, Hendersons and Afobes of the world.

Players/mistakes like Chamakh I can understand. He was a gamble on a free that didn't pay off. To get him, we paid him a big contract because there was no fee. It failed. I get those instances though, and you're going to have those. However paying what is in effect a very average academy player 12k and giving them a three year contract astounds me. 1.5m on a player who I would guarantee wouldn't make it, and will leave on a free in the end when his contract expires. And be promptly paid about 2k, maybe 3k when he signs for a club like MK Dons. Or Barnet.
  • King_Edward 10 Jan 2013 22:46:29 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't think you get nearly that much playing for MK Dons.
  • kentmonkey 10 Jan 2013 22:56:35 20,586 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Probably not. But that's certainly his level, making the current situation mad.
  • FWB 10 Jan 2013 23:03:00 44,247 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LeD wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    I'd pick Spurs over Arsenal. Wengr is senile and going nowhere, AVB is young and has connections across the Iberian peninsula. Not difficult.
    I was gonna take the bait, but it sounds about right! :)
    Arsenal are my second club. First game I went to, team my dad signed me up to. If I have a son ill be pimping Everton, else I would want him to be a Gooner.I want them to do well, but got to call a spade a spade.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 10 Jan 2013 23:45:17 9,779 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    All ITKlol dont even mention Negredo. Usually aften a story breaks people come out of the woodwork spouting 'insider info' but nothing.
    One ITK I'm following who said Holtby to Spurs was done a day before it was official says Spurs are in talks for Negredo.

Sevilla need the money badly. Can't remember the numbers off the top of my head but I posted about their dire financials in the European Football thread.
  • Syrette 10 Jan 2013 23:55:41 43,312 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aw jeez

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/exclusive-newcastle-in-turmoil-as-captain-coloccini-asks-to-return-home-8447038.html

Newcastle United have been rocked by the request of their captain, Fabricio Coloccini, to leave the club during the January transfer window. The 30-year-old told club officials today that he wanted to return home to Argentina.

• Syrette 10 Jan 2013 23:57:00 43,312 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And Arsenal in for Remy say the above paper.

Ah well.

• FWB 11 Jan 2013 00:04:07 44,247 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Need Luiz to fuck off. There can be only one!
  • THFourteen 11 Jan 2013 07:34:29 33,189 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Remy. Great. Another useless striker from the French league.

Is it just me or are we desperately trying to get shitter
  • LeoliansBro 11 Jan 2013 08:02:22 43,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Aw jeez

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/exclusive-newcastle-in-turmoil-as-captain-coloccini-asks-to-return-home-8447038.html

Newcastle United have been rocked by the request of their captain, Fabricio Coloccini, to leave the club during the January transfer window. The 30-year-old told club officials today that he wanted to return home to Argentina.
    Well, fuck.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• THFourteen 11 Jan 2013 08:07:12 33,189 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dont cry for me argentinaaaa
  • Deckard1 11 Jan 2013 08:09:28 27,718 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh fuck

Hush you ponce

• Lt_Drebin 11 Jan 2013 08:09:48 146 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Am I right in thinking that, should the worst now happen, we'd have the unenviable title of the first Premiership team to get relegated in the same season they were competing in European competition? I can't think of anyone else that's happened to off the top of my head.
  • FWB 11 Jan 2013 08:19:51 44,247 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20978255

Somewhere in the PR department, I think.
  • Ultrasoundwave 11 Jan 2013 08:29:20 3,281 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    Aw jeez

Well, fuck.
    If thats true, they might as well relegate us now. We'll start pre-season in two weeks and we'll be super fit when the Championship starts in a few months.....

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Ultrasoundwave 11 Jan 2013 08:32:40 3,281 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Shikasama 11 Jan 2013 08:33:07 6,757 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's quite a nasty little article that, it sounds like the club have really abused his relationship with his father to secure a move for a player far beyond their capability.
  • Deleted user 11 January 2013 08:37:57
    Lt_Drebin wrote:
    Am I right in thinking that, should the worst now happen, we'd have the unenviable title of the first Premiership team to get relegated in the same season they were competing in European competition? I can't think of anyone else that's happened to off the top of my head.
    Ipswich under George Burley in the mid-late 90s holds that claim IIRC.
  • LeoliansBro 11 Jan 2013 08:48:24 43,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

If thats true, they might as well relegate us now. We'll start pre-season in two weeks and we'll be super fit when the Championship starts in a few months.....
    That's the spirit.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• tincanrocket 11 Jan 2013 08:49:08 2,947 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20978255

Somewhere in the PR department, I think.
    :D

After his last tenure, and the 'quality' he and Comolli managed to buy, I wouldn't even trust him to manage the club shop.
  • Page

of 5384 First / Last