The all-new Premier League thread Page 3090

• Page

of 5487 First / Last

• captbirdseye 9 Jan 2013 10:18:13 4,997 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    The advantage of The Championship is that most games are competitive so the tickets seemed a bit more reasonable. I have no interest in paying £50 to watch us get spanked by Chelsea.
    Ouch! £50! You'd have thought top tier teams would reduce prices for lower league opposition (no offense:p). Great, so if we do go up this year then I have the joy of being ripped off at every away game with tickets and my £10 hotdog.
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 10:18:31 59,971 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @captbirdseye - Which club do you support?

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• captbirdseye 9 Jan 2013 10:20:08 4,997 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    The advantage of The Championship is that most games are competitive so the tickets seemed a bit more reasonable. I have no interest in paying £50 to watch us get spanked by Chelsea.
    The disadvantage of the championship is that the majority of the league are shit and provide poor entertainment for a 40 quid ticket.
    What games are you watching for £40?
  • captbirdseye 9 Jan 2013 10:20:31 4,997 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cardiff City buddy.
  • kalel 9 Jan 2013 10:27:49 87,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The stupid thing is that you can actually watch most games online.

But its a double edged sword. They want the grounds to appear full for the tvs. I remember around a third of the ground being kids when they were forced to do kids for a quid on the day when we played west brom on telly a few years ago.
    Most people don't have the knowhow to watch games online really. I'm talking about legit channels.

I know the theory is that if games were televised, then less people would go, but it's not my experience. I think if you get your pricing model right across the board then it won't have an impact on game attendance, especially if you bring back cheaper standing sections.
  • THFourteen 9 Jan 2013 10:29:36 33,468 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmmmm i'm not so sure you're correct actually, i've noticed that for some of the TV games the Emirates tends to appear less full than for the 3pm Saturday games.

but i guess you can't really tell the effects with such a small stadium

har har har
  • captbirdseye 9 Jan 2013 10:32:31 4,997 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Standing really does have to return in my eyes and has to a certain extent as some clubs such as us and Hull where a certain section can stand all game although they are not reduced prices.
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 10:32:57 59,971 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    What games are you watching for £40?
    Best seat in the house for a high demand game is £42. The rest of the price tiers range at about 35.

'High Demand' being the new term for platinum or whatever. We run almost a stock exchange system for tickets now. If its a shitter that no one wants to see, you can roll up on the day and get the ticket less than face value.

If its a hot match, the price goes up.

Its working quite well, apparently. Its encouraging people to buy earlier to get discounts and fill up empty space on the wet weekdays.

• captbirdseye 9 Jan 2013 10:38:15 4,997 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Which club? I'm guessing those £42 are not corporate ticket?

We have the 'High Demand' system this season which seems to work pretty well as long as you purchase a few weeks before.
  • kalel 9 Jan 2013 10:39:25 87,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Hmmmm i'm not so sure you're correct actually, i've noticed that for some of the TV games the Emirates tends to appear less full than for the 3pm Saturday games.
    And this is what happens when small clubs buy big stadiums.

har har har
  • morriss 9 Jan 2013 10:40:51 71,002 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wish Villas Boas wouldn't make those kind of comments mid-season where it could still all go horribly wrong.
  • captbirdseye 9 Jan 2013 10:41:48 4,997 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How much is an Arsenal season ticket? And are the food prices really £10-£15 for a pie/hotdog?
  • Ultrasoundwave 9 Jan 2013 10:43:41 3,305 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Cardiff City buddy.
    How are the 2nd best team in Wales doing?, i havent checked the Championship table for a while.....

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• captbirdseye 9 Jan 2013 10:45:13 4,997 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :p

Enjoy it while it lasts my Swansea friend.

Edited by captbirdseye at 10:47:19 09-01-2013
  • Ultrasoundwave 9 Jan 2013 10:48:01 3,305 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I still remember a surprisingly large amount of people kicking off when the Swans got promoted, saying that Welsh teams dont belong in the Premiership and all that shite.

Would be chuffed if Cardiff got up there too TBH!

• captbirdseye 9 Jan 2013 10:52:06 4,997 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, sadly still get it at most games along with the rather tedious chanting of 'Enngarrlannd' but at least we have something in common.

I miss the Welsh derbies. One day we might have Newport and Wrexham with us :D.
  • evild_edd 9 Jan 2013 10:54:11 3,115 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    How much is an Arsenal season ticket? And are the food prices really £10-£15 for a pie/hotdog?
    My season ticket (which I went in halves with another Gooner) was circa £980. Please note that this includes 6 cup fixtures (Champions League and FA Cup home games, not League Cup), which aren't included in other season ticket pricing structures.

It basically works out as just less than £40 a match. They're pretty much the cheapest seats in the house as well.

You'd get a pie and a pint for less than a tenner. You wouldn't get much change, mind.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Ultrasoundwave 9 Jan 2013 10:56:32 3,305 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Yeah, sadly still get it at most games along with the rather tedious chanting of 'Enngarrlannd' but at least we have something in common.

I miss the Welsh derbies. One day we might have Newport and Wrexham with us :D.
    Swans, Redbirds, Wrexham and Newport in the Premiership - thus making 1/5 of the league Welsh.

Would love to see that! :D

• morriss 9 Jan 2013 10:57:03 71,002 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Two sides to every story: MT @amylawrence71 wider picture of £62 ticket #mcfc allocation to Arsenal by @arseblog http://t.co/bFdX3D00

I haven't read it but I take it's relevant to the discussion.
  • captbirdseye 9 Jan 2013 10:58:44 4,997 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I always find it interesting where people choose to sit at games as I generally pick the best atmosphere first and then where the best seat might be.
  • captbirdseye 9 Jan 2013 10:58:45 4,997 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Delete

Edited by captbirdseye at 10:59:11 09-01-2013
  • evild_edd 9 Jan 2013 11:01:04 3,115 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If my previous post read like I'm trying to defend our pricing, let me assure you I'm not. Given the quality of football we've endured this season (I'm talking performances here, rather than results) and the club's transfer policy, I (along with a lot of other AFC fans) am struggling to justify such prices.

Think there'll be a lot of season ticket not renewed this year. Whether this affects the club's pricing policy all depends on whether there's enough demand out there from other supporters.

Ultimately all pricing comes down to supply and demand. Footy tickets are like house prices - they're worth as much as someone is willing to pay.

Why look, it's a blog:

• Shikasama 9 Jan 2013 11:01:32 6,843 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    As per my point above, I'd have less problem with the ticket prices if every game was televised. Then at least going to games would be for the elite, Sky or whatever for the moderately wealthy, and then pubs for everyone else. That way at least everyone has some way of seeing the football.

Just baffles me that most people simply can't watch the majority of their team's games. That's nuts.
    Yep I find this ridiculous as well. I think I mentioned before that I was amazed last season when I looked into Sky Sports and found I could only watch set games. I had always assumed you could just red button to any game you wanted to watch if you were paying for a football subscription.

As it is if you are a fan of a club outside of the top 5 you'll pretty much never get to see your team play...and if you do, chances are they are being boned in Manchester.
  • kalel 9 Jan 2013 11:01:59 87,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Balance of both. I'll either sit high up behind the goal or anywhere on whatever the livelier side stand is. Atmosphere is generally best low behind the goal, and I've had some great times there (the 5-1 Arsenal game is probably the most fun I've ever had sitting there) but generally the view is too shit.
  • evild_edd 9 Jan 2013 11:04:10 3,115 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    I always find it interesting where people choose to sit at games as I generally pick the best atmosphere first and then where the best seat might be.
    At Emirates, the cheap seats tend to have the best atmosphere. Sure that's no coincidence.

/feel free to insert obligatory joke about quiet Arsenal fans

Why look, it's a blog:

• kalel 9 Jan 2013 11:05:02 87,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's universal I'm sure.
  • Shikasama 9 Jan 2013 11:07:20 6,843 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Do you get a discount for having a proper shit flag with the name of your village scrawled on in marker pen?

Beyond me why supporters do that.
  • captbirdseye 9 Jan 2013 11:09:44 4,997 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Behind the goal in the Bob Bank about 10 years ago was £1 a game and I had some of the most fun i've ever had at any football game.

You were so close to the pitch that now and again you could have a conversation with the Goalkeeper.
  • evild_edd 9 Jan 2013 11:17:01 3,115 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave

I still remember a surprisingly large amount of people kicking off when the Swans got promoted, saying that Welsh teams dont belong in the Premiership and all that shite.
    Actually, I'll put my hand up here. Whilst I'm not sure I'd say I 'kicked off' about it, I was skeptical. Not because Welsh Teams don't belong or anything, but because I assumed there'd be a partisan and aggressive anti-English attitude from the fans. This (incorrect) assumption was based on my experiences having seen the England Vs Wales qualifier at the Millenium Stadium in March 2011. The atmosphere was, to be frank, poisonous. Outside the stadium was mostly alright (perhaps because the match was dull and Wales played so poorly), but during the match wasn't, and I wouldn't like to have walked out if, say, the match had been decided on a dodgy referring decision...

Anyway, with hindsight I can happily admit that I was wrong to worry. I should've had more faith that club rivalries would dislodge any national prejudices. Swansea have been a great addition to the PL, a breath of fresh air playing some of the best football in the league. Bit of a shame they've developed a nasty habit of outplaying Arsenal, but they're not alone in that over recent times.

Why look, it's a blog:

• nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 11:18:53 59,971 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    As it is if you are a fan of a club outside of the top 5 you'll pretty much never get to see your team play...and if you do, chances are they are being boned in Manchester.
    Cry me a river and im sure they will be well used to it (probably being all a lot of fans would have ever known), but it would really annoy me if I were a fan of a top, top club and never getting a ‘proper’ kick off time.

Didnt manyoo once go a couple of months without a 3pm saturday kick off?

• Page

of 5487 First / Last