The all-new Premier League thread Page 3079

• Page

of 4904 First / Last

• kentmonkey 4 Jan 2013 17:27:07 20,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Holtby is a player that can speed up play and be creative. The only player we have like that, that wouldn't mean taking them out of their preferred/best pos is Rosicky. And he's always injured.

Plus whoever said Ramsey should go and have a long hard look at themselves. Eisfeld is a prospect though, but we're beyond waiting.

Holtby will be one of the top three signings next season I'm sure, and not even anything to do with his fee, or lack of. And last time I checked we needed somebody who could drive a team forward by speeding up the play and being creative.
  • askew 4 Jan 2013 17:30:51 11,462 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, it's a little odd how Wenger seems to be reluctant to add Eisfeld to the squad considering the way he was banging them in for the U21s... Maybe this weekend?
  • Dougs 4 Jan 2013 17:34:17 64,911 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @KM you mean like Cazorla? And (I know, I know) Diaby. He's a good player no doubt but we have other priorities.
  • kentmonkey 4 Jan 2013 17:35:11 20,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't see any reason to persist with Ramsey over Eisfeld. Especially when we need a goal.

I understamd he's probably trying to protect him due to his injury record, but not to this extent. He just wants project Ramsey to work, I think.
  • Dougs 4 Jan 2013 17:35:18 64,911 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    askew wrote:
    Yeah, it's a little odd how Wenger seems to be reluctant to add Eisfeld to the squad considering the way he was banging them in for the U21s... Maybe this weekend?
    Suspect he'll give him a loan spell first.
  • kentmonkey 4 Jan 2013 17:37:56 20,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    @KM you mean like Cazorla? And (I know, I know) Diaby. He's a good player no doubt but we have other priorities.
    No. Not at all. Cazorla doesn't speed up the play. At all. His style is different to that. He's great (well, 2 in 3 games anyway) but he's not the type of player to up the tempo. Diaby also. Diaby will run at defences, but he's not creative.

I still maintain the only one we have of that ilk is Rosicky. Possibly Arshavin at a push, but he's long gone.
  • morriss 4 Jan 2013 17:39:39 70,749 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :)
  • kentmonkey 4 Jan 2013 17:41:54 20,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    :)
    Somehow I see your grin being a lot more smug than that! :o)
  • morriss 4 Jan 2013 17:42:45 70,749 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

Its pretty clear from the pictures of the bust-up that Mancini is the one whose gone storming in, waving his arms around and shouting "BAPA-DI-BOOPI!".
    wtf?
  • Dougs 4 Jan 2013 17:44:01 64,911 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Diaby is creative. In a different way of course but still. I also think Cazorla plays that role, maybe not all the time but he can. Irrelevant anyways, as even if theoretically did want him, there's no place in the squad or wage bill.
  • kentmonkey 4 Jan 2013 17:45:20 20,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So if there's no space in the squad or wage bill, which I don't believe at all, why did Wenger say we were looking at signing him only 24 hours ago?
  • kentmonkey 4 Jan 2013 17:46:39 20,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And he's specifically said that he needs more creativity in his squad, numerous times, in the past two weeks.
  • Deleted user 4 January 2013 17:57:26
    morriss wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

Its pretty clear from the pictures of the bust-up that Mancini is the one whose gone storming in, waving his arms around and shouting "BAPA-DI-BOOPI!".
    wtf?
    He's bringing back racism against italians, the likes of which was last seen in 1973. Don't criticise it.
  • The-Bodybuilder 4 Jan 2013 18:02:01 13,623 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've said my bit in the arsenal forum, so I won't do it again.....
    except I will.

Major pissed at losing out on Holtby. He can play centrally and on the left, where he operates a lot of the time. Its not like we don't have a history of playing CAMs in the wing.

all statistics show we lack creativity. Spits been that way since we lost Na$ri and Fab, with only the latter replaced. Wenger himself commented earlier in the season that having 3 forward that like the ball played behind the defenders is part of our issues, and that is when we constantly played with Giroud, Podolski and Theo.

Chamberlain seems to now be our 1st choice RW now Theo is apparently a CF (or off).
    Then there is the fact Podolski is a freaking striker (really tired of the whole "but he plays left wing for German". Low only did that to accommodate him and Klose. Prior to that he was a CF for Germany and virtually all his club games are as a CF).

Why not just play the man in his natural position, and have Holtby on the left rather than Gervinho?

Spurs got themselves a good player there. A midfield of him, Bale and Lennon is in total sum, better than our (IMO).

But whatever. Apparently all I want is Messi anyways.
  • danathjo 4 Jan 2013 18:03:21 6,915 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

wtf?
    He's bringing back racism against italians, the likes of which was last seen in 1973. Don't criticise it.
    or he just watches family guy
  • Dougs 4 Jan 2013 18:03:27 64,911 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Firstly I'd have said because he's looking to address that this year, not next when Holtby is available, and secondly because there are more ways to do that than buying another attacking midfielder.
  • kalel 4 Jan 2013 18:04:55 83,877 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My guess is Fruend has played a big role in this one. Must know him well. It's possible Spurs was his preference over Arsenal so no need to assume you have missed a trick.
  • Whizzo 4 Jan 2013 18:05:04 42,767 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    danathjo wrote:or he just watches family guy
    I have studied the Peter Griffin "Speaking Italian Like A Native" course, it's excellent.

This space left intentionally blank.

• The-Bodybuilder 4 Jan 2013 18:08:14 13,623 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    So if there's no space in the squad or wage bill, which I don't believe at all, why did Wenger say we were looking at signing him only 24 hours ago?
    wage bill is a total red herring. Not only do all evidence show we have money for that (wasn't it just a few weeks ago people were banging on about our new super commercial deal giving us more money?), Wenger and Gazidis have all mentioned about getting players.

Plus we've just lost Chamakh and Djourou. I mean, considering we don't even play Arshavin, we could even drop him from the 25-man squad. And the fact them going decreased our wage bill.

plus its a pre-contract. Spurs don't pay his wages till summer. I'm sure we could afford to do that, especially when we'll be releasing so many players in their final contract come summer.

But I'm sure there's an you known reason why none of this makes sense, and spurs, with a tighter budget and wage Bill can.
  • The-Bodybuilder 4 Jan 2013 18:11:00 13,623 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kalel
    No offence, but in previous interviews, he's mentioned being a fan of arsenal. His main 2 options were arsenal and Everton (dad's an evertonian).

the likely truth is, we probably were never even after him.
  • kalel 4 Jan 2013 18:12:21 83,877 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Players aren't fans in the same way we are. It's not unthinkable that Spurs could be his preference as things currently stand.
  • The-Bodybuilder 4 Jan 2013 18:14:00 13,623 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Dougs well I guess we'll know by the end of the month if he really is looking to address that by the end of this month.

Out of interest, what other ways could he I prove creativity in our squad if we are fundamentally lacking creative players? Not saying he can't, I just struggle to see how.
  • Dougs 4 Jan 2013 18:15:57 64,911 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As far as I can remember he said he's a fan of Arsenal's football, which is different. So either we weren't in for him or he chose Spurs as he thought he'd play more/fit better/whatever, much like Vertonghen (who we apparently wanted to play in midfield, which he didn't)
  • The-Bodybuilder 4 Jan 2013 18:16:41 13,623 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Players aren't fans in the same way we are. It's not unthinkable that Spurs could be his preference as things currently stand.
    I'm very much aware of that.
    I'm pointing out that, beyond potential agent and media talk, there's actually no evidence we were seriously interested in him. There wasn't even any ITK talk.

If we were interest and he chose you guys (much like Vort did), then no one can blame them from trying. I'm saying we probably weren't interested seriously in the first place.
  • Trowel 4 Jan 2013 18:19:34 16,860 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    @kalel
    No offence, but in previous interviews, he's mentioned being a fan of arsenal. His main 2 options were arsenal and Everton (dad's an evertonian).

the likely truth is, we probably were never even after him.

He's said he's an Everton fan, that his first game was the 95 cup final, but again nothing but rumours ever suggesting we might try for him, and as kal says that doesn't come into the equation when a footballer's considering his transfer options.
  • kalel 4 Jan 2013 18:24:58 83,877 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm sure he's a "fan" just like Scott Parker is a Spurs fan. Didn't stop him choosing Chelsea, Newcastle and West Ham over us in the past.
  • Dougs 4 Jan 2013 18:25:04 64,911 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    @Dougs well I guess we'll know by the end of the month if he really is looking to address that by the end of this month.

Out of interest, what other ways could he I prove creativity in our squad if we are fundamentally lacking creative players? Not saying he can't, I just struggle to see how.
    By buying or utilising another player that frees up others in the team to be more creative (thinking Jack in particular here, but also Arteta).
  • Trowel 4 Jan 2013 18:28:35 16,860 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I'm sure he's a "fan" just like Scott Parker is a Spurs fan. Didn't stop him choosing Chelsea, Newcastle and West Ham over us in the past.
    Just like Villa fans thinking Lescott might join them.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 4 Jan 2013 18:49:13 9,535 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Holtby has completed 90 mins just 35 times in the last three and a half seasons. Bit of a gamble at 70k per week IMO.
  • kalel 4 Jan 2013 18:52:03 83,877 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Haha. Bitterness. Excellent.
  • Page

of 4904 First / Last