The all-new Premier League thread Page 3051

• Page

of 5546 First / Last

• Orange 29 Dec 2012 23:27:23 4,849 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Love that Jerome goal, 99 times out of 100 hits someone in the crowd.
  • The-Bodybuilder 29 Dec 2012 23:30:10 14,280 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    In short: goals are overrated. More football, less goals.
    Yeah, those guys at Barca must really hate that.

And WTF is this shit about football being better under the Benitez/Mourinho era?
    I'm sure you guys all loved your McLeish-managed teams. I'm guessing you're all big fans of all the Stoke and Sunderland games.

And winning 9-0 isn't as common as it's being made out here, it's not even happening more frequently for crying out loud, people are exaggerating.
  • IMO 29 Dec 2012 23:31:14 5,695 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Yep. Your point?

Also not really. 11 well-organised players against an attacking team trying to unlock them can be fascinating to watch.
    It can also be exceedingly dull.
  • morriss 29 Dec 2012 23:41:48 71,128 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    In short: goals are overrated. More football, less goals.
    Yeah, those guys at Barca must really hate that.

And WTF is this shit about football being better under the Benitez/Mourinho era?
    I'm sure you guys all loved your McLeish-managed teams. I'm guessing you're all big fans of all the Stoke and Sunderland games.

And winning 9-0 isn't as common as it's being made out here, it's not even happening more frequently for crying out loud, people are exaggerating.
    You're an idiot.
  • morriss 29 Dec 2012 23:43:08 71,128 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    IMO wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Yep. Your point?

Also not really. 11 well-organised players against an attacking team trying to unlock them can be fascinating to watch.
    It can also be exceedingly dull.
    If you don't like football I'm sure it can, yeah. Of course, every game like that would be dull. Just like every game with loads of goals in them is equally as dull. The current trend is leaning toward no defence and mega-goals. I hope it doesn't continue.
  • Kay 29 Dec 2012 23:52:49 17,921 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Not watching MOTD but I think some of the press are forgetting that Arsenal scored 3 in the last 5-7 minutes, against a totally crushed team.

Not taking away anything from Arsenal who were very clinical but it wasn't as... dominating a performance as a 7-3 scoreline suggests.
    Yep, even Wenger admitted in his post-match interview that the scoreline was flattering. Amazing game really, Newcastle dominated the first half and also a bit of the second, yet ended up conceding seven goals.
  • Kay 30 Dec 2012 00:03:50 17,921 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    I was told in the group years ago that Theo couldn't play as striker as the days of a quick forward up front were dead. Same people still trying to do him down now, regardless of what he does.

He's been an inconsistent winger because he isn't a winger. Not saying he's the best CF in the world, but it's clear that he can do a job there. And that, shockingly, a thin fast striker CAN work. Amazing what happens when you're prepared to try things, rather than just dismiss it as it's not an opinion you hold about how football can be played.

Next week a team playing 4-4-2 will win a match.
    I've said many times that he's improved immensely in the last 12 months. He's about as clinical a finisher as you can get, especially when 1 on 1 with the goalkeeper. He got loads of assists last season, yet still people did him disservice and thought he should be let go, despite being only 23 and potentially having his best years still ahead of him.

I'm not saying the club should be held to ransom or anything, but he's a very valuable player to have in the team. Even when he switched to RW after Giroud came on, he still managed to get two assists and another goal. Sure, not every game will be as good as today's, but for a club like ours who seem to be short on options up front, he's still a good one to have.

Edited by Kay at 00:04:47 30-12-2012
  • kentmonkey 30 Dec 2012 00:12:33 20,770 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He could also be a great partner to Giroud if we find ourselves needing to go two up front in a game.

Like you I don't want us to be held to ransom, but we've kinda done that to ourselves.

He's wanted to play up front for ages, yet we've persisted with other far inferior options. I think it was about playing striker that stopped him renewing last season. And start of this. Now I think money will come into it as well, as others that may have been on the fence will be taking note.

I think 70k plus a semi-regular striker role would have got him to renew, even at the start of the season. Now...I think he's going to want more than the suggested 90k. He can essentially stick two fingers up, say 'told you so' and bugger off for a lot of money.

I still think though it's 60-40 in favour of keeping him at this stage. And that's quite positive for me.
  • TheSaint 30 Dec 2012 00:33:17 14,614 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stands up and down the country are full of fans reminiscing about those hard fought 2-1 wins. I'd imagine you be hard pressed to find anyone who can even remember a game where their team last scored four or more.

Tactical battles are fine when your watching as a neutral on Sky but when I'm spending 35 on a ticket and 50 on petrol to get to the game I'll take the goals any day of the week. If that makes me a shallow fan who doesn't appreciate proper football then so be it.
  • RobTheBuilder 30 Dec 2012 00:47:54 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Kay he has definitely developed, particularly when he has time on the ball.
  • Ka-blamo 30 Dec 2012 01:11:45 7,471 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Orange wrote:
    Love that Jerome goal
    Reminded me of a Tony Yeboah goal :)
  • THFourteen 30 Dec 2012 01:20:15 33,843 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:Tactical battles are fine when your watching as a neutral on Sky but when I'm spending 35 on a ticket and 50 on petrol to get to the game I'll take the goals any day of the week. If that makes me a shallow fan who doesn't appreciate proper football then so be it.
    Think you've hit the nail on the head here. Sure I remember winning hard fought title battles 1-0 or 2-1, but nights like tonight when you are in the stadium are fantastic, and I wouldn't trade them in for anything.

And I don't know about the EPL being rubbish either, I still enjoy watching it every week.
  • Ka-blamo 30 Dec 2012 01:53:50 7,471 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Morriss is just a whiny cunt, No-one is stopping him from watching Serie A each week so he can get his fix of 1-0 games he loves so much.

Maybe then we'd get less boring fucking shit about bad defending every time both teams conceed more than 2 goals in a game, its a fucking depressing opinion.

I hope I never get to a point in my life where I complain about high scoring games.
  • Shikasama 30 Dec 2012 03:01:55 6,967 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    Morriss is just a whiny cunt, No-one is stopping him from watching Serie A each week so he can get his fix of 1-0 games he loves so much.

Maybe then we'd get less boring fucking shit about bad defending every time both teams conceed more than 2 goals in a game, its a fucking depressing opinion.

I hope I never get to a point in my life where I complain about high scoring games.
    Sounds more like you could do with watching some regular Serie A
  • fletch7100 30 Dec 2012 08:14:41 7,354 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just watching MOTD, seeing that Wenger is having problems with the zip on his coat. Hope he doesn't have any zip related Theres Something about Mary accidents :)

Edited by fletch7100 at 08:15:45 30-12-2012
  • kalel 30 Dec 2012 08:16:12 88,419 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Serie A you can get whatever score line you like. Literally. I know a guy.

Can see both sides of this one. Generally speaking yes, football shouldn't be like basketball and if the norm for games was to become like the Arsenal one yesterday then that would be shit. Totally agree with morriss that it was in many ways a bad game of football, because it was high scoring simply because of terrible defending on both sides and nothing more. That's shit, and we don't want the emphasis to move towards defending becoming less important so that we have high scoring games. That was the American philosophy of how to make soccer more interesting, but actually it makes games more boring, not interesting.

But yeah, don't necessarily want to see every game be a 1-0 either. I think generally the beauty of the PL is that we have a really good balance in this respect, so I don't agree on the point of the PL being shit. That said, defending does seem to have gone out the window a bit this season for some reason.
  • ResidentKnievel 30 Dec 2012 09:12:11 6,238 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm sure we had the same discussion last season

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• yegon 30 Dec 2012 09:25:03 5,332 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I like goals, but this season is getting into parody territory. Much rather offensive styles of play overall, but the defending we're seeing this season, week in week out, is shambolic. Doesn't concern me too much though, the older you get the more your realise football's a cycle. Entirely possible three seasons down the line it'll be the lowest scoring PL ever and we'll all be moaning how shit the strikers are.

Edited by yegon at 09:25:52 30-12-2012
  • kalel 30 Dec 2012 09:30:44 88,419 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yup. Mourinho will come back next season and will win the PL with his eyes shut simply by having a half decent defence, and then defending will be the new attacking again.

Edited by kalel at 09:31:21 30-12-2012
  • nickthegun 30 Dec 2012 09:40:34 60,452 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are you ready to accept mourinho to manyoo into your heart yet?

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• kalel 30 Dec 2012 10:03:07 88,419 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just don't think that'll be his best offer. City IMO.
  • morriss 30 Dec 2012 10:28:08 71,128 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:

so I'm a cunt for having a different opinion than you? Well done.
  • morriss 30 Dec 2012 10:39:41 71,128 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think the only way to judge the the PL this season is to probably look at how well the tops clubs are faring in Europe.

Or perhaps you could look at Man U, who, by their own admission, have been incredibly poor this season, are somehow 7 points better off than the Harlem Globetrotters.

It can only be concluded that the PL both domestically and internationally, isn't of a very high standard.

Maybe "awful" was a tad OTT, I'll concede that.
  • kalel 30 Dec 2012 10:49:46 88,419 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I think it's fair to say the quality of the PL is in a bit of a trough at the moment. I still broadly prefer the type of football played in the PL year on year, but yes, right now something is a bit off.
  • kalel 30 Dec 2012 10:56:06 88,419 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just watching MotD. I notice RvP didn't get booked for revealing a message under hits shirt when he scored. Stupid rule mind you, but still, once again a different set of rules for United.
  • Dougs 30 Dec 2012 11:06:14 68,412 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Agreed. It's the most entertaining league jmo, but the quality of the football is the lowest its been for some time.

As for bookings, thought that was only if a shirt was completely removed?
  • THFourteen 30 Dec 2012 11:11:46 33,843 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Morriss is Mark Lawrenson AICMFP
  • kalel 30 Dec 2012 11:35:33 88,419 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Revealing a message gets you a yellow. Or at least it does if you don't play for Man U.
  • reddevil93 30 Dec 2012 11:39:14 11,862 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seen it excused a few times if it's an RIP message, not going by the book for the ref but certainly not the first time it had happened.

• reddevil93 30 Dec 2012 11:45:35 11,862 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    I think the only way to judge the the PL this season is to probably look at how well the tops clubs are faring in Europe.

Or perhaps you could look at Man U, who, by their own admission, have been incredibly poor this season, are somehow 7 points better off than the Harlem Globetrotters.

It can only be concluded that the PL both domestically and internationally, isn't of a very high standard.

Maybe "awful" was a tad OTT, I'll concede that.
    I don't think we've been crap, we've been complacent in defense but our attacking play is the best it has been in years, since 07/08 I reckon. We've come good in all the big matches this season too though I suppose you could put that down to other teams being poor.

I thought the general consensus was that the top 4's quality has dipped but the rest of the league has improved?

• Page

of 5546 First / Last