The all-new Premier League thread Page 2987

• Page

of 4944 First / Last

• nickthegun 6 Dec 2012 16:56:03 56,081 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Having said that, its going to take less time to get to get to parc de princes in 2016 than it would to get to st james park.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Jono62 6 Dec 2012 20:38:04 13,631 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20631964

Mikel banned for 3 matches for threatening Mark Clattenberg.
  • Trowel 6 Dec 2012 21:53:03 16,892 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Winning is not everything to Arsenal, claims commercial chief:
    Everything was going our way, it was Manchester United and Arsenal.

But we made a very bold decision and we built that stadium on time and on budget — that makes our fans very proud.

When they see that we can attract — even though we haven’t won a trophy in seven years — one of the top global brands in the world for the type of money and financial commitment they’re making, that makes our fans feel proud.

So our brand is defined by more than winning.
    "1-0 to the commercial brand..." \o/

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/winning-is-not-everything-to-arsenal-claims-commercial-chief-8389803.html
  • kentmonkey 6 Dec 2012 21:58:13 20,105 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I do feel proud. I feel very, very proud.

No...wait. That's...sick. I feel sick. Very, very sick.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 6 Dec 2012 22:00:07 9,542 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thankfully the press always portray such comments in the right context. ;)
  • kentmonkey 6 Dec 2012 22:01:43 20,105 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've just had butter that was over two months out of date in the pancakes I just made.

That probably makes it something else. Cheese. Or clotted cream.

Either way, that could explain the sick feeling.
  • ecureuil 6 Dec 2012 22:05:47 76,038 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bit like Man City's moral victories whenever they lost last season.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 6 Dec 2012 22:07:13 9,542 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heh. Tom Fox was speaking in a commercial sense, saying we still have a very big global fanbase and winning isn't everything in terms of getting big commercial deals like the Emirates one. Gazidis in a recent FourFourTwo piece said we are definitely not settling for top four finishes in the coming seasons what with our spending power increasing.. But you won't read much about those quotes being reported elsewhere, I'd wager.
  • Deleted user 6 December 2012 22:07:48
    Jono62 wrote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20631964

Mikel banned for 3 matches for threatening Mark Clattenberg.
    Really lenient punishment for threatening a ref.

That and Chelsea being a bunch of cunts, shoulda meant he got a lot worse.
  • Syrette 6 Dec 2012 22:41:54 41,932 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That Gazidis comment was in the current FourFourTwo which has a front page article entitled "Arsenal's Master Plan". Features interviews with the aforementioned, plus Wenger, Cazorla, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Friar and Brady.

Might be worth a read for you Arsenal fans, didn't hold my interest though really. Nothing surprising.

Was wondering when they'd do another Arsenal article actually. They have to have Messi/Man Utd/Messi/Chelsea/Arsenal/Barca/Messi/Real Madrid/Liverpool/Messi on the front cover in every issue. I can understand why but it's a little annoying - do some articles on other Prem clubs (like the rise of Swansea for instance) for once.

Edited by Syrette at 22:42:54 06-12-2012

• THFourteen 7 Dec 2012 07:32:23 31,849 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Syrette

Thanks for that mate, read it on my ipad mini on the way to work this morning. Been a while since i read 4-4-2, forgotten i actually enjoy reading it.
  • The-Bodybuilder 7 Dec 2012 07:54:13 13,638 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Early morning discussion.
    Arsenal see Sagna as no real loss. Belief in Carl Jenkinson, and Mapou Yagna-Mbwia seen as versatile (and cheap) option.
    Now this isn't confirmed for certain, but it's widely reported to be the case. Plus believing in the potential of a youngster to superceed an established pro is an arsenal pattern.

But it asks the question....why exactly should players be loyal?
    I'm only using Sagna because he's a great example/ Usually, arsenal fans especially tend to jusify moving a players because they are "c*nts" and greaddy bastards and etc.
    Sagna is perfect because no one can accuse him of that. For some 4-5 years he's been arguably our most consistent player (consisten in bad crosses too) and has always given it his all. Quietly goes around his business too.
    I can see why arsenal would want to do it (1 broken legs in a year, nearing 29) and I can see from his point of view (last WC player, possibly his last and final ever playing contract).

What I do find odd is that so many arsenal fans are willing to move him on because we have Jenkinson now (once again, overlooking the fact that replacing established players with young potential based on a few months of good work is part of the reason we're in what we're in), as we have a suitable replacement so it doesn't matter.

If you ask a fan why a players should stay, one of those reasons is loyalty ("we gave him his chance", "supported him" etc) yet it seems when it comes to offering players a contract, loyalty is never a factor (he's been loyal to us, gave 100% all the time, given up other opportunities). So loyalty is only a 1-way thing? To suit us but never reciprocated?

All seems rather hypocritical.
  • THFourteen 7 Dec 2012 08:03:36 31,849 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Footballers... meh. They can fuck off or they can stay. Just don't get attached to any of them or it will make you cry.
  • Dougs 7 Dec 2012 08:06:16 64,991 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    True enough. Plus, Twatter talk yesterday seemed to be that we were confident he wod sign. As ever.
  • Deckard1 7 Dec 2012 08:10:24 25,539 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    @Syrette

Thanks for that mate, read it on my ipad mini on the way to work this morning. Been a while since i read 4-4-2, forgotten i actually enjoy reading it.
    Thanks for letting me know you used an iPad mini. I would of spent all morning wondering what you'd read it on if you hadn't.

Called it

• Deckard1 7 Dec 2012 08:10:26 25,539 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    @Syrette

Thanks for letting me know you used an iPad mini. I would of spent all morning wondering what you'd read it on if you hadn't.

Called it

• Deckard1 7 Dec 2012 08:11:08 25,539 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'll just go get the papers get the papers.

Called it

• Deckard1 7 Dec 2012 08:11:09 25,539 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'll just go get the papers get the papers.

Called it

• THFourteen 7 Dec 2012 08:28:19 31,849 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Deckard1

No worries. I am currently using my 24" widescreen monitor (HP) to view and reply to this post as well
  • THFourteen 7 Dec 2012 08:28:58 31,849 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    and btw its would "have" :-P
  • The-Bodybuilder 7 Dec 2012 08:41:42 13,638 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    True enough. Plus, Twatter talk yesterday seemed to be that we were confident he wod sign. As ever.
    Yeah I wasn't specifically talking about Sagna, just using him as an example.

It just seems us as fans demand loyalty from players, yet never seem to reciprocate.
    I mean, I agree with TH14. But it's just when a player does leave for better, we're quick to call them disloyal bastards.

Basically, footballers aren't the only ones that are disloyal. We are too.
  • Dougs 7 Dec 2012 08:44:49 64,991 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's the way it's always been. Just that these days the players hold all the cards. In days gone by, it was the clubs. With Bosman and Webber, it's the players. Really wouldn't surprise me if yearly contracts became the norm soon.
  • The-Bodybuilder 7 Dec 2012 08:55:21 13,638 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wouldn't even mind yearly contracts so long as the ridiculous prices for players lowers significantly along with wages. But yearly contracts will only increase wages.

Basically, annual contracts will only be to the advantage to the rich. But then, what isn't? Not even sure how that would work with academy players. Annual contracts could kill off academies too.

Yeah that's how it used to be. One could argue however that that also wasn't good/fair. It was just the opposite end of the spectrum we find ourselves in.

Meh, not my concern. Just give me a player that I can mercilessly boo till my throat runs dry.
  • kalel 7 Dec 2012 09:35:14 84,073 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If there were yearly contracts then there'd be no transfer fees. Nobody would move during their one year.
  • Widge Moderator 7 Dec 2012 09:40:04 12,633 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    @Deckard1

No worries. I am currently using my 24" widescreen monitor (HP) to view and reply to this post as well
    Can I have the full details of your rig too?

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• THFourteen 7 Dec 2012 09:46:46 31,849 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    @Deckard1

Can I have the full details of your rig too?
    Actually its my work PC, so not sure what it is... hmmm looks like an i5 650 running at 3.2GHz, with 8GB RAM and Windows 7 64bit.
  • mcmonkeyplc 7 Dec 2012 09:49:16 38,942 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No football this weekend.

Move on.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Shikasama 7 Dec 2012 10:25:15 6,288 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There has got to be goals in Southampton vs Reading. Neither of them can defend
  • TheSaint 7 Dec 2012 10:29:50 13,659 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We've been much better recently. Two massive games for us with Reading this Saturday and then a two week break before Sunderland at home just before Christmas.
  • Deleted user 7 December 2012 11:12:46
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    No football this weekend.

Move on.
    Lots of spanking going on though
  • Page

of 4944 First / Last