The all-new Premier League thread Page 2972

• Page

of 5246 First / Last

• nickthegun 29 Nov 2012 14:49:27 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    David Moyes has no discernable smell at all, it's quite disquieting.
    He smells of neeps and tatties

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• crisotunity 29 Nov 2012 14:53:37 149 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    They need to be very careful they don't get dragged into relegation. Southampton are picking up points, particularly in the games they need to, and you can count on Harry to turn QPR around.

I reckon one big side (at least) will go down this season - my money is still on Villa but could easily be Newcastle or Sunderland.
    Hopefully the injury (and form) situation will force Ashley into a new signing in January. Otherwise I don't see us turning anything around. I guess this is the Moyes test. If Pardew is good enough, he'll find a way.
    For the very little it's worth, my theory/guess is that Ashley will not buy anyone for the first team in January: he will bet that there will be three worse teams in the Premiership and (if pressed) he will say that he is strengthening the youth team with various 15-year-old potential prodigies and looking to the future.
    The hope/gamble is that, by February, our injuries will be back and firing on all cylinders; we will have a feel-good (but meaningless) top-10 finish which will keep the natives quiet.

I hope I'm wrong.
  • Zomoniac 29 Nov 2012 14:58:29 7,785 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Southampton mascot dancing.
  • kalel 29 Nov 2012 15:00:22 86,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There probably will be three worse teams than Newcastle even if they don't buy anyone. Almost certainly in fact. They could well still find some form again and have a repeat of last season, it is after all exactly the same team. You just need to be a bit careful the rot doesn't set in.
  • crisotunity 29 Nov 2012 15:18:27 149 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kalel
    That's what I keep telling myself. And, don't get me wrong, I'm still happy to see Mickey Owen park his short arse on the MOTD couch rather than our subs' bench at 125k per week. There is no longing for the bad old days round here :-)

But I am getting a little bit worried: despite their shortcomings, Norwich, Stoke and Reading look like teams set up to fight to the death (I wish I could say the same about NUFC); QPR's owners enjoy some of the deepest pockets in the Premiership; Villa and Sunderland can get points by parking the bus and getting opposing teams to lose the will to live.
    I am not sure what our special power is.

I agree that when cards, injuries, etc clear up, we will probably pull clear from the bottom three. But it would be nice to get a bit of prudent investment in the first team.
  • Trane 29 Nov 2012 15:27:09 4,050 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd quite like to see Ronaldo get the nod for Ballon d'Or this year.
  • TheSaint 29 Nov 2012 15:32:19 14,198 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Southampton mascot dancing.
    Good old Sammy, he probably spent all week learning that.
  • King_Edward 29 Nov 2012 16:07:13 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    The problem he has and will always have is he's still not as good as Messi.
  • thedaveeyres 29 Nov 2012 16:11:49 10,684 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Smells nicer though.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• nickthegun 29 Nov 2012 16:14:32 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    crisotunity wrote:
    @kalel
    That's what I keep telling myself. And, don't get me wrong, I'm still happy to see Mickey Owen park his short arse on the MOTD couch rather than our subs' bench at 125k per week. There is no longing for the bad old days round here :-)
    Its quite telling that you said 'Motd couch' rather than 'stokes bench'. What a fucking joker he is. I know its not his fault hes injury prone but, christ, retire already.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Trane 29 Nov 2012 16:18:36 4,050 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Trane wrote:
    Hm I dunno, they have very different attributes, but both score goals for fun. Ronaldo was top scorer for the La Liga winners and that was the first time Madrid had done it since 08', he also captained his national side to a Euro SF which works in his favour IMO.

I think it's a pretty close run thing.
  • ElNino9 29 Nov 2012 16:38:42 13,285 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd be quite happy if Ronaldo never won it again, even though he probably deserves it this year.

Already won it once as a United player.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• kalel 29 Nov 2012 16:45:15 86,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    Trane wrote:
    Hm I dunno, they have very different attributes, but both score goals for fun. Ronaldo was top scorer for the La Liga winners and that was the first time Madrid had done it since 08', he also captained his national side to a Euro SF which works in his favour IMO.

I think it's a pretty close run thing.
    Messi scores more goals, gets more assits, creates more chances and makes more key passes. Not sure what other "attributes" you feel are important to make the decision but it's pretty open and shut imo.

And yes, Ronaldo was top scorer in the team that won La Liga last year, but Messi still scored more in the league, plus got fucking 73 goals in all competitions. 73!!!

So yes, Ronaldo not as good as Messi. Now you know.
  • Shikasama 29 Nov 2012 16:51:10 6,600 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    'Captaining his national side' has got to be one of the weakest arguments for winning a trophy like the Ballon.

Especially abroad where they couldn't give less of a shit about the national team captain.

I can see Iniesta winning it as a 'lifetime achievement' award type thing.
  • reddevil93 29 Nov 2012 16:52:04 11,373 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not as good in La Liga, still think in most other leagues Ronaldo would outperform him.

Also Messi's playing with some of the best players in the world who he's played with since he was 12. Would really love to see him outside his comfort zone.

• Deleted user 29 November 2012 16:52:17
    Proven statistically Ronaldo scores more important goals for the team.
  • LeoliansBro 29 Nov 2012 16:53:49 43,132 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bigger teeth too.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Trane 29 Nov 2012 16:59:34 4,050 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Messi scores more goals, gets more assits, creates more chances and makes more key passes. Not sure what other "attributes" you feel are important to make the decision but it's pretty open and shut imo.

And yes, Ronaldo was top scorer in the team that won La Liga last year, but Messi still scored more in the league, plus got fucking 73 goals in all competitions. 73!!!

If it's as open and shut as you think kalel, who do you think won best La Liga player of the season for 11-12? Also, try being less condescending, cheers.

Edited by Trane at 17:10:29 29-11-2012
  • King_Edward 29 Nov 2012 17:23:45 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Not as good in La Liga, still think in most other leagues Ronaldo would outperform him.

Also Messi's playing with some of the best players in the world who he's played with since he was 12. Would really love to see him outside his comfort zone.
    Well it's not like Ronaldo's much different. Madrid are custom build side designed specifically to get the best out of him.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 29 Nov 2012 17:25:35 9,703 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pirlo deserves it more than Ronaldo. Was pivotal in Juve winning the league unbeaten and was class at Euro 2012.

Messi should win it though. He's phenomenal.
  • Shikasama 29 Nov 2012 17:27:44 6,600 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:

Whereas Ronaldo basically plays for Chesterfield
  • ElNino9 29 Nov 2012 17:33:13 13,285 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    Pirlo deserves it more than Ronaldo. Was pivotal in Juve winning the league unbeaten and was class at Euro 2012.

Messi should win it though. He's phenomenal.
    LoLs.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• kalel 29 Nov 2012 17:39:24 86,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    Proven statistically Ronaldo scores more important goals for the team.
    Which also suggests he's more selfish. Combine that with Messi's much higher assist rate, and you could come to the conclusion that Ronaldo holds back his team by not being a team player.

Good old stats.

There's also all kinds of stats about how Barca would get relegated without Messi's goals and such.

Edited by kalel at 17:39:39 29-11-2012
  • Kay 29 Nov 2012 17:39:38 17,756 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm a Messi fan, but Ronaldo practically dragged Real to the title last season, whereas I'm not sure if Barca even won anything.

That's not the only thing that counts, but considering Messi's already won it three years in row, it's only fair to give Ronaldo his dues.
  • kalel 29 Nov 2012 17:40:55 86,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's like saying Aguero was better than Van Persie last season because he won City the league and Arsenal barely came 3rd.
  • kalel 29 Nov 2012 17:45:02 86,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    kalel wrote:

If it's as open and shut as you think kalel, who do you think won best La Liga player of the season for 11-12? Also, try being less condescending, cheers.
    The links I've found suggest it was Messi, and that he also got best striker, but can't find an official award. I take it it was Ronaldo?
  • fergal_oc 29 Nov 2012 17:51:17 2,763 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    That's like saying Aguero was better than Van Persie last season because he won City the league and Arsenal barely came 3rd.
    Aguero was better than RvP given that it was his first season in a new team and his first season in England.
  • Kay 29 Nov 2012 17:55:00 17,756 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, Aguero was better because he managed to drag a ridiculously expensively-assembled team to the title. O_o

Okay, so Real Madrid weren't exactly assembled on the cheap, but the truth is they managed to pip supposedly the greatest team of all time to the title. I'm not disputing that Messi is better, but I'm saying Ronaldo probably deserves it this year.
  • RedSparrows 29 Nov 2012 17:55:42 21,961 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But in the final analysis, RvP was better.

You lot could chop statistics as a job.
  • kalel 29 Nov 2012 17:56:32 86,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bollocks. There's no handicapping system. If there is then Aguero did far worse than Van Persie given he plays for a team with infinite funds who can buy any player they want to support him, whereas Van Persie had to get his support from muppets like Arshavin and Denilson.
  • Page

of 5246 First / Last