The all-new Premier League thread Page 2965

• Page

of 5551 First / Last

• SuperCoolEskimo 28 Nov 2012 10:40:02 9,941 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Heh, Sagna and Walcott not in our 2013 calendar.

See ya.
    Was done in August so any players not playing then aren't in there. Koscielny isn't in there for the same reason.
  • Shikasama 28 Nov 2012 10:41:14 6,996 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Personally I'd prefer to make the competitions a little closer and defined.

The Champions League a straight knock out tournament between the top 2 teams in each qualifying country. (I'd have it as just champions but you'd probably need more teams to pad it) Winners of previous Cup Winners Cup.

Cup Winners Cup for domestic winners.

Never going to happen because of the financials but something liek that would protect the quality of football, get people actually caring about winning stuff/league positions again.
  • kalel 28 Nov 2012 10:45:19 88,471 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thing is, if they reduced the amount of teams in the CL and brought back the CWC, and put up a decent amount of prize money and TV rights money for the CWC (and charged appropriately for the rights to show it), then the big teams would make an effort to win it, and the likes of Sky would see the value in paying lots to show it. And thus is would become a great competition.

Yes, it's all about money, but UEFA can use that to their advantage just as they've done with the CL.

Equally they could reduce the amount of teams in the CL and increase the money in the UEFA, and that would make that a good competition again.
  • nickthegun 28 Nov 2012 10:51:36 60,517 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The chances of them reducing the number of teams in the champions league are not high.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• RedSparrows 28 Nov 2012 10:59:19 23,338 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Platini considering scrapping the UEFA Cup and putting the top seven into the CL.

I'm split on this. On the one hand it makes the CL even more of a joke than it is and devalues the competition further. On the other it gets rid of the ridiculous UEFA Cup and spreads the CL money around a bit more, meaning the top teams become less of a self-fulfilling cycle.

On balance, it's better than the current situation, but still not the best solution possible.
    And then in 10 years there'll be a plan afoot to create a new 'elite' cup, in which the creme de la creme compete and get paid exorbitant sums...
  • kalel 28 Nov 2012 11:17:37 88,471 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Euro league will happen at some point I'm sure.
  • roz123 28 Nov 2012 11:21:45 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They should split Europe in half, top 7 teams from good countries like Spain, England, Germany and Italy compete in the Champions league.
    Top 5 teams from the poor countries like Romania, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Scotland and France can compete in the Europa League.
    jk
  • nickthegun 28 Nov 2012 11:33:32 60,517 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jermaine defoe as good as falcao shocka
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/9707753/Jermain-Defoe-as-good-as-Falcao-and-Harry-Redknapp-has-no-chance-of-signing-him-insists-Andre-Villas-Boas.html

• Dougs 28 Nov 2012 11:38:44 68,474 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Euro league will happen at some point I'm sure.
    It's at that point that I stop watching. Or certainly going to games. Have zero interest in a Euro League.
  • RedSparrows 28 Nov 2012 11:42:10 23,338 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    At least it'd do away with the shit of 'our league's better than yours' from the gurning mongs.
  • kalel 28 Nov 2012 11:45:32 88,471 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    They should split Europe in half, top 7 teams from good countries like Spain, England, Germany and Italy compete in the Champions league.
    Top 5 teams from the poor countries like Romania, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Scotland and France can compete in the Europa League.
    jk
    Just the worst idea.
  • SolidSCB 28 Nov 2012 11:54:11 6,932 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    jk
    It's a tough job making UEFA look sensible but congrats, somehow you've managed it.
  • roz123 28 Nov 2012 11:55:20 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I put a jk at the end in spoilers
  • Deckard1 28 Nov 2012 11:55:49 28,761 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So I'm the only on who can see the "jk" under the spoiler then?
  • kalel 28 Nov 2012 11:56:38 88,471 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thought that was referring to the France bit, not the whole post.
  • Shikasama 28 Nov 2012 11:58:25 6,996 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How about a separate competition for the clubs that consider themselves 'projects'.

The rest of us can get on with football.
  • SolidSCB 28 Nov 2012 12:02:00 6,932 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm on my phone, so the whole thing looks a mess. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. From the deepest, darkest depths of my heart, I'm sorry roz.

Although you still support a vile, stinking cunt of a team so that apology only goes so far.
  • SolidSCB 28 Nov 2012 12:03:03 6,932 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    How about a separate competition for the clubs that consider themselves 'projects'.

The Philosophy League.
  • roz123 28 Nov 2012 12:10:42 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Spoilers are invisible on my phone so the confusion is my fault.

anyway all those pics on the bbc of the CL celebrations had me reminiscing and I stumbled upon this video :lol:

Edited by roz123 at 12:12:31 28-11-2012
  • Deleted user 28 November 2012 12:14:46
    Think it's bad news. Group games tend to be boring anyway. The knockout stage of CL is the best football has to offer imo.
  • nickthegun 28 Nov 2012 12:20:12 60,517 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As i said before, it just means people really wont give a shit about the CL until feb.

There are barely half a dozen countries who could muster up seven teams able to compete above conference level, so the quality of the groups will be appalling. You'll just end up with a load of San Marino-esque teams who are just there to thrash to keep a high goal difference.

• kalel 28 Nov 2012 12:21:16 88,471 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It'll only be 7 teams for the top leagues I guess.
  • nickthegun 28 Nov 2012 12:27:39 60,517 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thats more likely. Co-efficient blah blah blah the G14 countries get 7.

2 Scottish teams still go through the qualifiers.

• ecu 28 Nov 2012 12:38:32 77,044 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I always thought it'd be cool if they had a Europe-wide knockout competition. Every team in Europe gets to enter, before Christmas the games are all domestic, the 1st-4th places would go in to the European Cup proper, seeded based on performance in the domestic qualification. It would mean potentially any team could compete if they had a good cup run. Ditch the league cup and there would be six fewer CL games and it probably wouldn't disrupt the schedule too much either. A true European Cup.
  • Shikasama 28 Nov 2012 12:43:02 6,996 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:

The Philosophy League.
    Marvelous!
  • Mr_Sleep 28 Nov 2012 12:43:56 17,186 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think they should have a competition where the teams that get to enter are based on how passionate the fans of are. So Newcastle fans being the "best fans in the world", would be seeded high. Wigan fans would never get into the league.

You are a factory of sadness.

• kalel 28 Nov 2012 12:48:48 88,471 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I sometimes think we'd be better off without European competition altogether. It's skewed everyone's priorities to the point where the things that should matter most now don't matter at all, and it's removed all excitement from the big summer international tournaments. It also perpetuates the advantage the top teams have financially. In short, it's making football generally quite boring.
  • Dougs 28 Nov 2012 13:25:48 68,474 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I always thought it'd be cool if they had a Europe-wide knockout competition. Every team in Europe gets to enter, before Christmas the games are all domestic, the 1st-4th places would go in to the European Cup proper, seeded based on performance in the domestic qualification. It would mean potentially any team could compete if they had a good cup run. Ditch the league cup and there would be six fewer CL games and it probably wouldn't disrupt the schedule too much either. A true European Cup.
    And entirely unlikely given this isn't going to continue to line the pockets of the top clubs and UEFA. Nice idea though.
  • Dougs 28 Nov 2012 13:47:36 68,474 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I sometimes think we'd be better off without European competition altogether. It's skewed everyone's priorities to the point where the things that should matter most now don't matter at all, and it's removed all excitement from the big summer international tournaments. It also perpetuates the advantage the top teams have financially. In short, it's making football generally quite boring.
    I agree with this. The PL could probably compare favourably these days in terms of attracting players but not sure we could have in the past. Always a danger that the "product" will decrease in quality if not. Don't think many of us care that much if ticket prices were brought down accordingly but that's never going to happen!
  • kalel 28 Nov 2012 14:03:03 88,471 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just a thought, but if they double the number of teams in the CL, that would mean they could have twice as many groups, but then only have one team go through from each.

That actually might make it a better competition in some ways.
  • Page

of 5551 First / Last