The all-new Premier League thread Page 2927

• Page

of 4888 First / Last

• kalel 15 Nov 2012 09:54:22 83,875 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And actually Cech probably isn't as good either these days. Pre head injury yes, but despite being generally excellent he's as prone to a nightmare as Hart is, no question.

So that's that post utterly debunked then.

Best in the league? Possibly. Certainly keeping his age in mind I'd choose him above any other I think. I think Al Habsi is massively overlooked, but always looks excellent when I've seen him. And I've been banging on about Scwarzer for years now as well.
  • Deleted user 15 November 2012 10:06:20
    De Gea is the best in the league.
  • LeD 15 Nov 2012 10:25:54 6,192 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No, Sneezy is the best keeper in the league!
  • SolidSCB 15 Nov 2012 10:28:14 5,824 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm glad EG Mythbusters have come together to shoot down that crackpot theory. Some people really do have the craziest ideas.

In all seriousness though, I'd rather have any of the three I mentioned as my goalkeeper right now. Hart is just as guilty as Krul for coming out too much for stupid punches at times. Friedel is probably the most reliable goalkeeper in the league week in week out for me too, despite being 87 or whatever. As for Cech, yeah, he's been a bit of a shadow of the potential he showed pre-injury, but he's still capable of regular match winning performances in the biggest of games.

IMO and all that.

I'm sure Hart will one day be one of the best keepers in the world. He's already highly skilled, has got fantastic potential to improve further too. I don't think he has been helped by the way the media have been on his dick and he's started playing up to it a bit. He needs to let all of that nonsense go and get back to doing his job quietly and effectively. But is he in the top tier of the world's goalkeepers yet? Not for me.
  • morriss 15 Nov 2012 10:28:38 70,749 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    High-end Twitter sources saying LFC planting the story that City want Suarez. https://twitter.com/MullockSMirror

Interesting.
  • kalel 15 Nov 2012 10:32:47 83,875 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It seems to be coming from Paul Joyce who is from Liverpool yes, but also lots of people saying he's absolutely legit and to be believed if he breaks a story.

All quite interesting. I can't really see why Liverpool themselves would instigating this. What could be in it for them? They surely wouldn't want rid of him.
  • roz123 15 Nov 2012 10:36:00 7,107 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maybe Suarez wants to leave, putting it out there attracts higher bidders.
  • Dougs 15 Nov 2012 10:49:45 64,905 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It would also free up the CF spot for Walcott....
  • SolidSCB 15 Nov 2012 10:56:10 5,824 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The helicopter is on the way back to London to pick Carroll up.
  • Blakester 15 Nov 2012 11:06:20 3,347 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    It would also free up the CF spot for Walcott....
    There was an interesting piece on Football365 this week about the impact on Suarez when/if Liverpool bring in a recognised CF or two in Jan.

The general consensus is that he would be switched to out wide, yet he's made it clear that he wants to play through the middle. Whatever you think of Rodgers, he's already proved that he's willing to make the best decision for the team, so he may well think it's worth sacrificing Suarez to improve his options.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• faux_carnation 15 Nov 2012 11:09:40 8,491 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If FSG/Rodgers sell Suarez they'd be risking a total loss of support fron the fans. I just can't see it.

Edited by faux_carnation at 11:09:58 15-11-2012
  • THFourteen 15 Nov 2012 11:13:45 31,806 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    city can "want" suarez all they want, it doesnt mean anything.

just like utd "wanted" van persie. doesnt mean he's going anywhere.
  • Blakester 15 Nov 2012 11:15:03 3,347 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    If FSG/Rodgers sell Suarez they'd be risking a total loss of support fron the fans. I just can't see it.
    I think as lot depends on what they've got in the pipeline.

I imagine if they've tee'd up deals for Walcott and Huntelaar (slightly wishful thinking I know), it would severely soften the blow of Suarez moving on.

• ecureuil 15 Nov 2012 11:15:15 76,022 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Liverpool would be better off without him. The 25+ they'd get could be reinvested in the squad, for something more balanced. They could bring in two or three players with the money from his sale. Suarez is a quality player but he's scoring all the goals partly because they don't have anyone else.

People often complain about the way clubs stick by their players regardless of what they've done, and now Liverpool supposedly want to kick this racist little turd out, people question why they're selling their best player. He's a bad egg, and some managers don't have time for players like that. Liverpool would make better progress without him IMO.
  • faux_carnation 15 Nov 2012 11:16:52 8,491 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well that's just ridiculous. He's basically been the best player in the league this season and is carrying the team.

Also: "25m+"? Give me a break. He's just signed a new long term contract; we're talking at least 40m.

Edited by faux_carnation at 11:19:15 15-11-2012
  • roz123 15 Nov 2012 11:19:59 7,107 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is the worst Liverpool team I can remember, Suarez is a class above the rest of them and has got 8 goals in 11 games so far this season. They would be fucked without him.
  • kalel 15 Nov 2012 11:23:05 83,875 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Liverpool would be better off without him. The 25+ they'd get could be reinvested in the squad, for something more balanced.
    This is Man U logic. Teams who aren't in the CL and aren't competing at the top level can't think this way. When you lose quality, you find yourself replacing it with second rate players.

Liverpool's downward spiral is precipitated by them doing this again and again over the last few years. The way to stop the rot is to hang onto their best players, and move back up again, not continue the cycle.
  • faux_carnation 15 Nov 2012 11:23:19 8,491 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    This is the worst Liverpool team I can remember, Suarez is a class above the rest of them and has got 8 goals in 11 games so far this season. They would be fucked without him.
    Then you obviously have a very short memory.
  • RobTheBuilder 15 Nov 2012 11:26:39 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kalel Yet Everton have managed to maintain and even improve despite always selling off their best players.
  • ecureuil 15 Nov 2012 11:29:20 76,022 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He stands out because he's so good while everyone else is average. He's still a troublemaker, and as I said, some managers don't have time for nonsense, even if the player is talented. West Brom and Everton don't have individuals as good as Suarez, but they're better teams than Liverpool. Just because he's carrying the team doesn't mean he's irreplaceable, it's an opportunity to get a problem child off the books while his stock is highest. 25m was a conservative, lowest-possible-value because I don't think 40m is guaranteed.
  • ecureuil 15 Nov 2012 11:31:27 76,022 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • nickthegun 15 Nov 2012 11:32:52 55,861 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A) The thing with selling star players is that you have to replace them with star players otherwise you just lose quality for no real gain. Ive seen it myself. Cash in on an 4m player, buy three workmen who you let go in a years time. Net gain? Nothing.

B) Suarez may be performing well at the moment, but he is still a massive cunt. Usually this isnt a problem but I would wager the sheer enormity of his twattery would stop him getting a move to a top four club in this country. I doubt anyone would go in for him at more than 20m.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• disusedgenius 15 Nov 2012 11:33:05 5,142 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @kalel Yet Everton have managed to maintain and even improve despite always selling off their best players.
    ...then getting them back in the next transfer window.

And actually they've managed to keep hold of quite a few key players over a number of seasons (I'm thinking of Fillani, Baines, Jag, Neville etc). That's as much to do with their recent success as their good buys.
  • ecureuil 15 Nov 2012 11:36:57 76,022 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • ecureuil 15 Nov 2012 11:42:02 76,022 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bah, time to give up on posting from my phone.

Anyway, it depends who they buy. Less Downings and more Ba/Cisse. Suarez's goal return is not impossible to match, you just need to buy the right players. Getting rid of your best players doesn't work if you replace them with rubbish players, if Rodgers feels he's identified players that will improve Liverpool as a whole, then he might go for it. Liverpool need to not rely on Suarez for absolutely everything.
  • roz123 15 Nov 2012 11:42:39 7,107 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @faux_carnation Nope, was at stamford bridge at the weekend and it felt like one of those games where you failed to beat a poor mid table team. I never felt that way about a Liverpool team before. They kept trying to play a possesion game that went nowhere. It was like watching someone who is really shit at FIFA so they just pass it around their defence all the time. It was unpleasant to watch.

Edited by roz123 at 11:53:34 15-11-2012
  • nickthegun 15 Nov 2012 11:51:17 55,861 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    roz123 wrote:
    I can't think of one. Even the sourness team

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• RobTheBuilder 15 Nov 2012 11:51:47 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I also think that a number of the young Liverpool players will evolve into really good players over the next few years, it's just a question of whether they are still at Liverpool when they do.
  • kalel 15 Nov 2012 12:06:36 83,875 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    faux_carnation wrote:
    roz123 wrote:
    Last season's was worse. Quite a lot worse imo.
  • Blakester 15 Nov 2012 12:16:29 3,347 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    faux_carnation wrote:
    roz123 wrote:
    Last season's was worse. Quite a lot worse imo.
    Agreed.

The problem with Kenny's team was that he stubbornly persisted with players who were either massively out of form or just not up to the task. The lack of confidence was astonishing.

• Page

of 4888 First / Last