The all-new Premier League thread Page 2921

• Page

of 5671 First / Last

• billythekid 13 Nov 2012 16:03:01 11,403 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Can people really see Falcao beig sold in January with Atletico still in the title race? Would be uproar from the fans surely?
    Not sure they could really do anything about it if the buyout clause is met and the player wanted to go.
  • billythekid 13 Nov 2012 16:03:02 11,403 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Can people really see Falcao beig sold in January with Atletico still in the title race? Would be uproar from the fans surely?
    Not sure they could really do anything about it if the buyout clause is met and the player wanted to go.
  • Baleoce 13 Nov 2012 16:03:37 1,187 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    We can't play with two out and out strikers anyway. We don't need a Carroll, who is inferior to both Cisse and Ba if you ask me. Carroll would be third choice and doesn't offer much at all that Cisse/Ba don't.

As it is we struggle with a 442 with Cisse/Ba up front, to the extent where I could understand selling one of the aforementioned.

Most PL teams play with 3 CMs so one of the above has to drop back to defend - as we play with just 2 CMs - and when they're both attacking they're just too similar to work as a partnership. We need a Bellamy type player, someone who will play out wide to complement Ben Arfa on the other side.

Our best football last season was when we played as a 433 with Cisse as the central striker and Ba/Ben Arfa either side of him, with Tiote and Jonas as holding mids with Cabaye given license to attack ahead of those 2. It was very efficient and led to some attractive football, but Ba had to sacrifice his natural instincts and position.

Now Pardew is trying to keep both Cisse and Ba happy by playing them both up front (Ba's goals dried up last season because he was pushed out wide, now he's central and scoring plenty). If he joined now Carroll wouldn't get off the bench.
    Yup, which would explain the increase in Ba's scoring compared to the latter half of last season (even though his assisting was really good), but also explains our generally lacklustre performances. Ba/Arfa playing wide and Cisse up front worked really well.

Edited by Baleoce at 16:07:14 13-11-2012

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• King_Edward 13 Nov 2012 16:12:09 11,471 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't think it's entirely true that Ba's goals dried up because he was pushed out wide, except maybe as a mental thing. He was still getting plenty of opportunities, he just stopped scoring them.
  • Syrette 13 Nov 2012 16:16:15 44,341 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Don't Atletico need the money? They're not the big spenders they used to be, they could afford Falcao and Turan etc because they made so much money from selling Aguero.

• reddevil93 13 Nov 2012 16:22:01 12,085 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    billythekid wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Don't Atletico need the money? They're not the big spenders they used to be, they could afford Falcao and Turan etc because they made so much money from selling Aguero.
    I know that but still, the buyout clause is 60m, can Chelsea really afford to spend that much again? Atletico surely wouldn't accept any less considering they bought him for 50m?

• kentmonkey 13 Nov 2012 16:42:45 20,936 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    billythekid wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    I know that but still, the buyout clause is 60m, can Chelsea really afford to spend that much again? Atletico surely wouldn't accept any less considering they bought him for 50m?
    They're bound to accept 25-30m plus Torres I'd bet.

Torres coming back, even in his current form, would remove a lot of the pain of losing Falcao from the fans, and is likely to cause an uplift in shirt sales, as people buy shirts for the return of the messiah.

Torres is loved by (the majority of) Athletico Madrid fans. He is revered over in those parts. I can't see how him going back to them would result in anything less than a massive uplift in merchandise sales.

They'd get money from the sale, they'd get a player more than good enough still (I just don't think he fits at Chelsea), fans would be happy about him returning and they'd get merchandising sales. It's a win-win-win-win.

(edit: forgot a very important 'm').

Edited by kentmonkey at 16:43:20 13-11-2012
  • faux-C 13 Nov 2012 17:05:42 9,653 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Baleoce wrote:
    Yeah it was amazing how quickly his rep escalated. Suddenly on a helicopter on deadline day to Anfield. I just remember thinking "what the.."
    Yeah there's a name for that - the" Commolli effect".
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 17:08:41
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Baleoce wrote:
    Yeah it was amazing how quickly his rep escalated. Suddenly on a helicopter on deadline day to Anfield. I just remember thinking "what the.."
    Yeah there's a name for that - the" Commolli effect".
    Ah, you're still in that phase.

Edited by kalel at 17:08:52 13-11-2012
  • kentmonkey 13 Nov 2012 17:56:03 20,936 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    billythekid wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    During the Aguero saga wasn't it said that Buyout clauses only apply to players buying out their contracts anyway? I'm sure I read something that was saying even if Man City met Aguero's buyout clause they would have to transfer the money to him for him to give to Atltico, at which point it becomes taxable income so they then need to ad a tax bill on top of it.

I definitely remember reading that but make no guarantees a to its bullshit quotient.
    Never heard of that before.

Some Spanish (and I believe Italian and Portuguese) clubs' buy out clauses are only for clubs in their respective countries.

For example, Mata's buy out clause was for Spanish clubs. However Arsenal met it and the club agreed to sell because the agent asked them to accept it. The reasons behind why that move didn't happen are not for this thread but just because we'd met the valuation didn't instantly mean they had to accept it.

In this country and most other countries I believe it's just a buy-out clause with very few other 'clauses' (there are some cases where, for example, Utd may put in a 'but if City bid = buy out clause, sale = no chance, player + contract = owned by Fergie until club x bid = buy out clause - Manchester City name' type clause).
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 17:58:08
    Buyout Clauses are definitely more complicated than most realise. There's something about different countries being involved as well. It's not simply that you meet the amount and you get the player.
  • roz123 13 Nov 2012 18:20:50 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Atletico Madrid chairman said if a bid comes in close to the 60m buyout clause that will solve their debt problems so they would sell. There are other factors like if we can afford him or if another team outbids us so I'm not getting my hopes up
    The real problem we have is that even a great striker can't play all the time, its the position where you see players get substituted the most and Sturridge is more of a second striker/winger. Unless Lukaku comes back from his loan then we will still need to sign a third striker.
    Torres started this season reasonably well but now he looks tired after 10 mins.
    Look how many points Hernandez and Dzeko are winning for City and Utd and they are 3rd/4th choice, that quality in depth up front is really the major advantage they have over us at the moment especially with the number of games we all play.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 18:24:47
    DId you really ask whether Chelsea can afford someone?
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 18:28:14
    Post deleted
  • kentmonkey 13 Nov 2012 18:30:48 20,936 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thread fix. Again.
  • roz123 13 Nov 2012 18:45:32 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well according to glolal.com we have agreed personal terms with him.
  • bladdard 13 Nov 2012 19:19:43 1,029 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Clattenburg - police drop charges

Don't know what it means other than he won't go to jail.

No evidence apparently.

Edited by bladdard at 19:21:02 13-11-2012
  • SuperCoolEskimo 13 Nov 2012 20:04:48 10,073 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    They won't win the title but will make sure he stays for the whole reason to make sure they qualify for CL.
  • Jono62 13 Nov 2012 20:09:22 14,368 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bladdard wrote:

No evidence apparently.
    Probably won't referee a Chelsea game again which. I'm guessing, was what they wanted.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 20:15:32
    It's probably what he wants as well. It can't be nice to be surrounded by that many cunts, liars and racists.

Edited by Aargh. at 20:15:42 13-11-2012
  • bladdard 13 Nov 2012 20:20:37 1,029 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    bladdard wrote:

No evidence apparently.
    Probably won't referee a Chelsea game again which. I'm guessing, was what they wanted.
    I suppose it depends if the FA feel he has a case to answer, if they don't then I think it will be up to Clattenburg to decide if he wants to continue refereeing or not. I wouldn't be surprised if he steps down, this type of thing doesn't goes away. If he isn't selected to ref Chelsea matches the press will be all over it, if he is it'll be even worse.

There's no turning back the clock and Chelsea coming forward saying they had to make the complaint is their way of excusing their actions.

Edited by bladdard at 20:21:39 13-11-2012
  • morriss 13 Nov 2012 20:23:29 71,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    It's probably what he wants as well. It can't be nice to be surrounded by that many cunts, liars and racists.

Edited by Aargh. at 20:15:42 13-11-2012
  • reddevil93 13 Nov 2012 20:24:16 12,085 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There was talk of him counter-claiming for defamation and loss of earnings, wasn't there? I love if it came out the claims were entirely made up and Chelsea had the book thrown at them.

• bladdard 13 Nov 2012 20:26:15 1,029 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    There was talk of him counter-claiming for defamation and loss of earnings, wasn't there? I love if it came out the claims were entirely made up and Chelsea had the book thrown at them.
    It won't happen, Chelsea already had the lawyers on this before they reported it to the FA.
  • Baleoce 13 Nov 2012 20:34:00 1,187 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Can he claim damages now then?

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• Inertia 13 Nov 2012 20:38:26 677 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well it's one thing having lawyers but everyone on the losing side of legal disputes have lawyers too. It's defamation and without evidence they are going to find the claims hard to prove in a court of law. It's what happens if Chelsea have been found to defame him by a court then the FA must take action against Chelsea.

I think Chelsea could be in some trouble here if Clattenburg takes this further.
  • roz123 13 Nov 2012 20:47:38 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No victim came forward to the police investigation that was started due to the head of the black lawyers association making a complaint, not Mikel, Ramieres or Chelsea FC. This might mean there is no evidence and its all a fabrication or it might mean that simply no one involved wants the police involved in the matter.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 20:51:59
    I think we know which of those possibilities is the most likely.
  • Blotto 13 Nov 2012 20:59:37 2,777 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm sorry but surely if you're that certain and therefore willing to testify to the FA that Clattenburg did indeed racially abuse Mikel, then surely you should be so certain enough to testify to the police then.

Not sure what reason you'd have for "not wanting the police involved" but wanting it out in public and taking it to the FA.
  • Page

of 5671 First / Last