• Page

of 5376 First / Last

• kalel 13 Nov 2012 10:50:58 86,962 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:
    Not for a friendly, you experiment and give others a chance to impress (IMO).
    Well, a bit yeah. You essentially have slightly wider scope because there's less pressure, but it's still about your core squad getting some much needed practise and blooding in new players for when it's important. It's not a "freebie".
    I agree, so why would you pick a player who you may never be able to pick again?
    Well, again, I think it's a bit cynical on the one hand, although on the other if he is as big a talent as being suggested, it could be worth a go.
  • kentmonkey 13 Nov 2012 10:52:47 20,582 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Personally I'd rather the manager picked a plethora of players who only go on to win one non-competitive cap and never play again than ever, EVER, picking Stewart Downing for another cap.
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Nov 2012 10:57:53 14,136 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Personally I'd rather the manager picked a plethora of players who only go on to win one non-competitive cap and never play again than ever, EVER, picking Stewart Downing for another cap.
    Yeah but what player would want that for themselves? Especially if it means sitting at home during internationals and having to watch Downing have more caps than you?
  • faux_carnation 13 Nov 2012 10:58:18 9,262 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Transfer window bollocks has started early. Apparently we've agreedva fee for Lacina Traore.
  • kentmonkey 13 Nov 2012 11:10:45 20,582 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Yeah but what player would want that for themselves? Especially if it means sitting at home during internationals and having to watch Downing have more caps than you?
    I was being sarcastic.

I have no issue with Zaha being called up and no issue with him keeping his options open as:

a) representing England used to be the pinnacle of any english player's career. It's not now, for a variety of reasons, one of which being the mentality of most modern football players
    b) Zaha was born in Ivory Coast. He's now cleared to play for England due to the years he has lived here, but it would be perfectly understandable for him to be conflicted between playing for the country of his birth, versus the one he's been living in for the past few years
    c) he may feel he has better chances of winning things with the Ivory Coast
    d) he may feel that he'll be left on the sidelines due to increased competition playing for England (as comedic as the talent of our national side is at times, wingers are not really the area we struggle with, and there are plenty of up and coming and established English wingers to get in his way)
    e) he may feel he'll get more games playing for the Ivory Coast, for the reasons disclosed in d)
    f) he may want a warm holiday in January and not have to play in the shitty cold English weather one year out of every two

Reasons for picking him are equally varied:

a) he's got talent, he's a potential future star. Call him up, see how he integrates with the team, give him a few minutes now rather than in a competitive match when it really matters if he chokes
    b) he could have his head turned for Ivory Coast. If (and only if, for the reasons Kalel has given) you're considering him as an England player for now or the future, call him up and sell the side to him, for the same reasons he needs to sell himself as a player to you
    c) if you don't call him up because he's unsure, he'll definitely go and play for the other team anyway, so you've just bitten off your nose to spite your face
    d) afaik, nobody has heard him actually say those words. i.e. I'm not aware of a recording of him actually saying 'I'm still considering playing for the Ivory Coast.' It's been reported that he's said that, but how many times has shit been made up. The other day the BBC quoted Wenger as saying that we were the better side against Man Utd. This annoyed me as I thought he'd lost the plot. When I heard the interview, he never said that. At all. I wouldn't base leaving a player out of a call up for the national team because some news hack has decided to make a story out of it. And even if he had said it, for the numerous reasons above, I wouldn't leave him out either.
  • kentmonkey 13 Nov 2012 11:19:24 20,582 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Plus I'd rather he played for England as chances are he's going to be our 'big money signing' as he's under 23, we've left it a year too late to decide to sign him and therefore now going to be really expensive as he's become a 'footure england star' and therefore playing for the Ivory Coast means he'll be gone for a month every two seasons and we'll have to rely on Ramsey making cameo wing appearances for the whole of January.
  • faux_carnation 13 Nov 2012 11:20:33 9,262 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    More transfer bollocks : Torres has asked Chelsea to let him rejoin Liverpool and Rodgers wants him. Give me strength.
  • LetsGo 13 Nov 2012 11:38:35 5,184 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Torres wil be off to Athletico in a money+player deal for Falco.
  • kentmonkey 13 Nov 2012 11:48:57 20,582 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    Good call. Can see that happening.
  • nickthegun 13 Nov 2012 11:54:51 59,454 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    Come on and rock me, Simeone

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• roz123 13 Nov 2012 11:55:38 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Torres future might depend on how willing he is to take a pay cut but we certainly need to get in a new striker in Jan.
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Nov 2012 11:57:19 14,136 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    I was being sarcastic.
    Get the f*ck ouuta here. You? Sarcasm? :D
  • roz123 13 Nov 2012 11:59:25 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like Zaha and his and inclusion in the England squad is a good inspiration for the young talent coming through the championship
  • thedaveeyres 13 Nov 2012 12:03:50 10,884 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm surprised it's Zaha and not Tom Ince, who has 9 goals already this season from the wing. I suppose that's what having a media whore of a manager gets you. ;-)

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• spindle9988 13 Nov 2012 12:13:20 3,528 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In all honesty I really wouldnt be surprised if Torres rejoined Liverpool. He has already said it was the happiest time of his career. The chelsea fans just dont love him like the kop did. When he did hit a bad patch playing in red he was still always supported and the fans never got on his back. I think deep down he really regrets leaving Liverpool
  • kalel 13 Nov 2012 12:20:45 86,962 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would be totally and utterly astonished in Torres went back to Liverpool. I'd say it's one of the least likely things that could possibly happen.

a) He probably wants out of England ASAP
    b) Liverpool fans have turned on him in a massive way
    c) Liverpool need a striker who can actually score goals
    d) Liverpool couldn't even afford Clint Dempsey
    e) Chelsea could get better value selling him to literally any other club
  • Baleoce 13 Nov 2012 12:26:30 1,185 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm pretty sure Torres would go back to Spain or possibly Italy for a potential next move. Can't see him wanting to stay in England.

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• SolidSCB 13 Nov 2012 12:29:32 6,577 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Let's be honest, it's not unrealistic to say Liverpool will probably put a cheeky 87m bid in. Y'know, test the waters and all that.
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Nov 2012 12:30:01 14,136 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It will never happen.
    He has a stronger affinity to A.Madrid than anything.

LetsGo called it well on that one.
  • nickthegun 13 Nov 2012 12:32:42 59,454 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If by called it you mean 'gone with the widely accepted opinion of almost every football journalist in the country', he got it bang on.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• SuperCoolEskimo 13 Nov 2012 12:34:27 9,776 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    Very likely, even more so when you discover Peter Kenyon owns 50% of Falcao's player rights.
  • kentmonkey 13 Nov 2012 12:50:57 20,582 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    I was being sarcastic.
    Get the f*ck ouuta here. You? Sarcasm? :D
    I know. Even I can't be level headed, positive and euphoric all of the time. Sometimes I have to reach for the sarcasm. Rare times though, obviously.

Ramsey is going to be our player of the season.

Because he'll be the only one staying.
  • LetsGo 13 Nov 2012 13:55:11 5,184 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whatever happens to Nando, he helped us win the Champions Legaue.

He won the corner in the final which scored us our goal.
  • faux_carnation 13 Nov 2012 15:12:40 9,262 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Torres back to Liverpool, Carroll back to Newcastle, the circle will be complete. Massive profit for Mike Ashley, zero net for Liverpool and a massive loss for Chelsea. I don't think it's completely implausible.
  • kentmonkey 13 Nov 2012 15:15:36 20,582 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RVP back to Arsen...fuck it. I woke up.
  • ResidentKnievel 13 Nov 2012 15:22:00 6,181 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd rather not have Andy Carroll back at Newcastle, he'd cost too much for a 4th choice striker worse than Ameobi.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• SolidSCB 13 Nov 2012 15:29:25 6,577 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, but he might go on the same inspiring 3 game run of form that made him a 35 million player in the first place.
  • Baleoce 13 Nov 2012 15:32:21 1,185 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah it was amazing how quickly his rep escalated. Suddenly on a helicopter on deadline day to Anfield. I just remember thinking "what the.."

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• Syrette 13 Nov 2012 15:54:24 43,296 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We can't play with two out and out strikers anyway. We don't need a Carroll, who is inferior to both Cisse and Ba if you ask me. Carroll would be third choice and doesn't offer much at all that Cisse/Ba don't.

As it is we struggle with a 442 with Cisse/Ba up front, to the extent where I could understand selling one of the aforementioned.

Most PL teams play with 3 CMs so one of the above has to drop back to defend - as we play with just 2 CMs - and when they're both attacking they're just too similar to work as a partnership. We need a Bellamy type player, someone who will play out wide to complement Ben Arfa on the other side.

Our best football last season was when we played as a 433 with Cisse as the central striker and Ba/Ben Arfa either side of him, with Tiote and Jonas as holding mids with Cabaye given license to attack ahead of those 2. It was very efficient and led to some attractive football, but Ba had to sacrifice his natural instincts and position.

Now Pardew is trying to keep both Cisse and Ba happy by playing them both up front (Ba's goals dried up last season because he was pushed out wide, now he's central and scoring plenty). If he joined now Carroll wouldn't get off the bench.

Edited by Syrette at 16:01:42 13-11-2012

• reddevil93 13 Nov 2012 16:01:38 11,571 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can people really see Falcao beig sold in January with Atletico still in the title race? Would be uproar from the fans surely?

• Page

of 5376 First / Last