The all-new Premier League thread Page 2908

• Page

of 4881 First / Last

• ecureuil 6 Nov 2012 17:35:38 76,009 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    Bah, this was ignored when I posted it a few days ago!
  • kalel 6 Nov 2012 17:56:36 83,852 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    AVB is looking fine. I don't know how it's 'not looking good', tbh. Judge him with a full squad for a start!

But yeah, I underrated Martinez.
    I just mean his general prospects. So much focus on his every move and massive overreaction to every bad result (and a weird amount of radi silence for achievements like winning at Old Trafford). Plus talk of internal difficulties is getting louder and louder.

Can you see him still being in the job in two or three years? I can't.
  • reddevil93 6 Nov 2012 18:17:21 11,247 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We done Martin Squirtle at Anfield on Sunday?

http://i.minus.com/ibqdOifbNZsdgL.gif

Slightly NSFW I guess

Edited by reddevil93 at 18:17:54 06-11-2012

• Trowel 6 Nov 2012 18:54:28 16,846 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pretty sure Baines and Valencia (and maybe Palacios?) left Wigan before Martinez came along. He strikes me as limited tactically (timid might be a fairer word) as his teams seem set out largely to nulify the threat of the opponent, rather than to outwit.

Though to be fair, that's typical of any team in Wigan's position, scrapping for every point and without a huge financial resource. Interesting that when they had nothing to lose at the end of last season and the shackles came off they started to steamroller sides.
  • kalel 6 Nov 2012 18:58:48 83,852 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmmm, dunno about that. Famously un-timid I'd say. Wigan are known for being unusually attacking for such a low division side.

The 9-1 thrashing we gave them (and numerous other thrashings they've received) have all been put down to them trying too hard to attack even when they're getting battered.
  • Trowel 6 Nov 2012 18:59:55 16,846 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Today's Liverpool PR experiment was Twitter live chat with #AskStevieG:

"Ryan Giggs' wife divorced him and took half of everything he owned. How does it feel knowing she has 6 more Premier League medals than you?"

"Steve, will next year be your year?"

"Who would win a foot race - Jamie Carragher or the erosion of the UK Coastline?"

"Which defeat has been hardest to take? Its ok, you can email me, 140 characters is a bit limted..."

"On a scale of JonJo Shelvey to Jordan Henderson, how bad is Stewart Downing?"

"Is the corner Liverpool are supposedly turning a big roundabout?"

"Do you still believe Joe Cole is better than Lionel Messi?"

"Since you bottled your move to Chelsea, they've won the Champions League, 2 Premier League titles and 4 FA Cups. You must be delighted with that choice?"

"What is it like knowing Luke Chadwick has more Premier League medals than you?"
    etc...
  • Deleted user 6 November 2012 19:09:22
    hehe
  • Shikasama 6 Nov 2012 19:28:04 6,272 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Pretty sure Baines and Valencia (and maybe Palacios?) left Wigan before Martinez came along. He strikes me as limited tactically (timid might be a fairer word) as his teams seem set out largely to nulify the threat of the opponent, rather than to outwit.
    I really don't know how you can say that about the only manager in the Premiership to successfully play 3 at the back consistently. He is one of the few managers who looked at his squad and built a formation and system to fit, rather than found a formation and system he liked and tried to build a squad to fit.

One of the key factors being he didn't just play to his squads strengths but compensated for it's weaknesses. Look at the transformation of Caldwell last season.

It's a rare day when you can say Wigan didn't approach a game with 3 points in mind.
  • Syrette 6 Nov 2012 19:30:17 41,799 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    "Succesfully... consistently"

what

• Trowel 6 Nov 2012 19:50:18 16,846 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    It's a rare day when you can say Wigan didn't approach a game with 3 points in mind.
    When they played us the other week they relied almost entirely on pumping the ball to Kone to hold up for Di Santo or Maloney or run to the corner - similar to the Swansea and Spurs games from the highlights I saw. Strikes me as an exclusively counter attacking formation.
  • morriss 6 Nov 2012 20:10:38 70,748 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    AVB is looking fine. I don't know how it's 'not looking good', tbh. Judge him with a full squad for a start!

But yeah, I underrated Martinez.
    I just mean his general prospects. So much focus on his every move and massive overreaction to every bad result (and a weird amount of radi silence for achievements like winning at Old Trafford). Plus talk of internal difficulties is getting louder and louder.

Can you see him still being in the job in two or three years? I can't.
    if we finish 4th this year, then yeah.

But I see your point. Don't know what the fans want? Even he media have backed off.
  • Dougs 6 Nov 2012 20:22:15 64,887 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What sort of internal difficulties? It's as much about expectation management. With the gulf in cash available to the front 3, I don't really know what fans and managers alike expect other than a cup run and being in the hunt for 4th, 3rd if all goes well such as injuries,

Edit: For all clubs other than City,Chelsea and Utd imo

Edited by Dougs at 20:27:00 06-11-2012
  • morriss 6 Nov 2012 20:51:51 70,748 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I missed that. I haven't heard of any internal difficulties at all.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 7 Nov 2012 00:24:51 9,529 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My favourite from #AskStevieG:

I'm just going to turn off this Phil Collins song. Do you mind?
  • LockeTribal 7 Nov 2012 10:57:24 4,443 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fix

EDIT: Or not!

Edited by LockeTribal at 10:58:00 07-11-2012
  • kalel 7 Nov 2012 10:59:43 83,852 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Really? Adeboyor unhappy? Lloris unhappy? Reports of a general backlash after the Wigan game? ITK coming out and saying it's all falling apart?

Some can be taken with at least a pinch of salt, but nevertheless, lots of smoke for there to be no fire.
  • Deleted user 7 November 2012 12:05:40
    I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere but the acronym ITK is getting on my tits.
  • caligari 7 Nov 2012 12:30:21 16,832 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere but the acronym ITK is getting on my tits.
    I thought that it had something to do with karate.
  • kalel 7 Nov 2012 12:33:52 83,852 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OK then.
  • caligari 7 Nov 2012 12:41:32 16,832 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • morriss 7 Nov 2012 13:02:10 70,748 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't read the last few posts. The date of the post above me says 28th October. WTF?

Wow, and now I've posted everything appears as it should do, weird.

Edited by morriss at 13:02:49 07-11-2012
  • morriss 7 Nov 2012 13:04:04 70,748 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Really? Adeboyor unhappy? Lloris unhappy? Reports of a general backlash after the Wigan game? ITK coming out and saying it's all falling apart?

Some can be taken with at least a pinch of salt, but nevertheless, lots of smoke for there to be no fire.
    Ade and Lloris I don't believe. Haven't read anything about a player backlash after Wigan. But I only read Twitter these days, not the forums.

For those reasons.
  • caligari 7 Nov 2012 13:04:46 16,832 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    I can't read the last few posts. The date of the post above me says 28th October. WTF?

Wow, and now I've posted everything appears as it should do, weird.
    Sorry - my fault! I deleted one of my (double) posts.
  • mikew1985 7 Nov 2012 13:06:50 12,042 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can't have been the first time you've come across that bug shirley(morriss)?
  • captbirdseye 7 Nov 2012 13:16:26 4,336 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmmm, this Black Lawyer's Society sure do like the sound of their own voice.
  • askew 7 Nov 2012 14:00:27 11,452 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Careful, they might go to the police about you.
  • kalel 7 Nov 2012 14:16:54 83,852 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Herbert report singles out Spurs for anti-Semitic chanting (i.e. referring to themselves as Yids).

Spurs response:

SPURS STATEMENT:

'The club does not tolerate any form of racist or abusive chanting.

'Our guiding principle in respect of the "Y-word" is based on the point of law itself - the distinguishing factor is the intent with which it is used ie if it is used with the deliberate intention to cause offence.

'This has been the basis of prosecutions of fans of other teams to date. Our fans adopted the chant as a defence mechanism in order to own the term and thereby deflect anti-Semitic abuse. They do not use the term to others to cause any offence, they use it a chant amongst themselves.

'The club believes that real anti-semitic abuse such as hissing to simulate the noise of gas chambers is the real evil and the real offence. We believe this is the area that requires a determined and concerted effort from all parties and where we seek greater support to eradicate.'
    I have very mixed views on the whole "Yid" thing and in all honesty think we should stop using the term, however, to accuse Spurs fans of anti-Semitism in this respect is beyond retarded.
  • nickthegun 7 Nov 2012 14:20:50 55,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We're taking it back

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Trowel 7 Nov 2012 14:30:25 16,846 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What are the roots of the Tottenham/Jewish connection, is it just North London demographics? I don't know the area.
  • kalel 7 Nov 2012 14:33:19 83,852 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Basically yeah. It's actually no more Jewish than Arsenal is in terms of fanbase though. Think the Jewish thing came from away fans travelling through Jewish areas on the way to the game. Tottenham itself really isn't a Jewish area.
  • Page

of 4881 First / Last