The all-new Premier League thread Page 2907

• Page

of 5502 First / Last

• The-Bodybuilder 5 Nov 2012 19:18:10 14,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Got the impression that was part of the ill feel in certain areas for AVB. Young and qualified/trained, while the Chelsea lot are thick as pigshit and the owner doesn't know what to do but throw money around.

Don't think the anti-intellectualism is universal in football though. Definitely in England though.
    Oh yeah, I mean exclusively within England.
    There's still that ladish "da gaffa" with the boss talking about classic English-football terminology of "'Ave it's" and "lump it" and my personal petpeeve of calling everyone "...igsie".

Many of those managers also continue the perception that school education (or education in general) is only ok just to get by in football and that's it.

It won't last of course. The dinosaurs will become extinct at some point, they can't hold out forever. It's just a shame that it's nature taking it's course and correcting it rather than the people higher above (the FA) doing it.
  • The-Bodybuilder 5 Nov 2012 19:23:29 14,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    If I were an up-and-coming manager I'd relish the chance to gain experience from other leagues, other styles. This attitude that "we know best" is arrogant and self-defeating.
    Indeed. However do think the constant humiliation of England is putting the spotlight on it all.

I personally can't see why they wouldn't wanna go out of their way in other countries. It did well for McClaren (in regards to rebuilding his tarnished reputation) to the point he got a gig at Wolfsburg (and unfairly got dismissed imo).

Personally can't see where joy is slogging away in the lower leagues for years. I remember when a managing gig came up at a club in Cyprus (forgotten the name). They were even in the Champions League, all one had to do is do well for a bit, and you could say you coached a CL team. Yet very little interest in the UK.

And then you could go to places like the US MLS and do well to accelerate your career.
  • Shikasama 5 Nov 2012 21:17:41 6,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    EuroStalker wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Most of those managers have had reasonably success with shit teams and limited resources at quite a high level. That's why.
    The stats say otherwise. Looking at wiki for each manager, you will find they average around 35% win across all their clubs which equates to around 39 points each season. You could just as easily pull any guy who knows a bit about football off the street, give them a bit of training and they would achieve the same win percentage.

How many trophies have these guys won between them? You would think given the amount of time they've been in football, they would continue to learn and go on to bigger things. But no!

Harry Redknapp sums it up for me. Decades in football and one FA Cup to show for it.
    Again, how many trophies do you expect them to win with teams like Birmingham and Blackburn? Keeping shit teams up with no resources is a significant achievement with the likes of City and Chelsea around. Bruce in particular had some landmarks at Birmingham such as finishing above Villa and top half finishes.

Won't even dignify the comment about Harry.
    We find ourselves in agreement here. The win % stat is one in particular that annoys me as a ridiculous yardstick. People need to temper their expectations and impressions to the clubs involved. Martinez at Wigan is a great example (although I know you aren't his biggest fan) because staying in the Premiership with a club of those resources after years of selling off their best players is nothing short of remarkable.

Not to mention the work he did at Swansea which has served Brendan Rogers very well.
  • convz 5 Nov 2012 21:21:51 376 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I really don't like the 'sacked in the morning' or similar chants... I know people will say it's only 'banter' but IMO it's quite personal, I hate when fans call Rooney etc fat or any other personal insults too

Football fans are a classy bunch at times
  • King_Edward 5 Nov 2012 21:28:37 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Twats like Rooney are fair game in my book. :p
  • FWB 5 Nov 2012 21:28:38 44,666 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rooney is "fat" for a footballer. His weight is a problem. Just can't lay off the pies. It's part of his job to stay fit and be able to run, not waddle across the field. The fans are paying his wages and so deserve effort and discipline from him. Anything that is nothing to do with the football is personal, but his weight very much belongs to the fans paying for it.

Edited by FWB at 21:29:35 05-11-2012
  • SuperCoolEskimo 5 Nov 2012 21:31:35 9,884 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    convz wrote:
    I really don't like the 'sacked in the morning' or similar chants... I know people will say it's only 'banter' but IMO it's quite personal, I hate when fans call Rooney etc fat or any other personal insults too

The irony being that the manager being sung at will get more in compensation than the chanters will earn in a lifetime of 9-5's.

Yeah, my heart bleeds for the poor bastards.

Edited by SuperCoolEskimo at 21:31:56 05-11-2012
  • Trowel 5 Nov 2012 21:36:03 17,797 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apologies for the c&p, you'll get the idea:

As you may already be aware, Anne Williams has been diagnosed with cancer and its terminal. There is no reversal. She is now in a hospice in Southport and still, whilst in need of rest and recovery, is pushing her case to get the inquest for her son Kevin going.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20203582

Anne herself, whilst she should be recovering, has been using Twitter to try and get things going. She's been at this stage where the Attorney General has had all the evidence three times without progression. Read that again. Three times

I donít ask as a Red on the other side of Stanley Park with an angle of solidarity as already shown so brilliantly by Everton Football Club. I ask as a simple man of the world who feels a mother who lost her son and is now losing her life should have her lifelong battle for Kevin fulfilled.

Please could you promote the below petition on your site and sign? Weíre under a third of the way there. We just donít know how long Anne has.

The below was written by a fellow Red and has been around some of the other forums. It may be too much, it may be too little but it is a start to hopefully getting Anne Williams some comfort and indeed justice.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=299436.0

Kindest regards and thanks in advance
    Harinder

petition link - https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40925 - and sign for Anne.
    tl;dr: sign the petition.
  • Dougs 5 Nov 2012 21:42:27 68,054 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Done
  • FWB 5 Nov 2012 21:43:42 44,666 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Signed.
  • The-Bodybuilder 5 Nov 2012 21:52:28 14,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Twats like Rooney are fair game in my book. :p
    Indeed. :D
  • The-Bodybuilder 5 Nov 2012 21:53:54 14,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    convz wrote:

The irony being that the manager being sung at will get more in compensation than the chanters will earn in a lifetime of 9-5's.

Yeah, my heart bleeds for the poor bastards.
    Wait, I thought you of all people were against chants against managers?
    Or is that just against Wenger? :D
  • TheSaint 5 Nov 2012 22:04:11 14,481 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well that was painful. Don't get me wrong I know we're not playing great but we just don't seem to be getting any luck either. Clear handball in the build up to WBA's first goal not given and we have a clear penalty waved away in the second half.

Time to draw a blue line under that one and move on to Swansea on Saturday.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 5 Nov 2012 22:08:42 9,884 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @The-Bodybuilder 'Sacked in the morning' chants are one thing. Those chants at Arsene are completely different and no manager should have to be subject to them. Vile.

And yes, the rapist chants against certain players, even if they are mammoth cunts, are out of order.
  • kalel 6 Nov 2012 08:35:10 87,929 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Martinez at Wigan is a great example (although I know you aren't his biggest fan) because staying in the Premiership with a club of those resources after years of selling off their best players is nothing short of remarkable.

Not to mention the work he did at Swansea which has served Brendan Rogers very well.
    You've confused me with morriss. I'm almost literally his biggest fan in fact. Was my top choice for the Spurs job in the summer.
  • Shikasama 6 Nov 2012 08:38:50 6,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah, I thought you were one of the other brigade when he was being linked with Liverpool.

I can't apologize enough for lumping you in with Liverpool fans. I'm really, really sorry.
  • Shikasama 6 Nov 2012 08:39:16 6,869 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And morriss, natch
  • kalel 6 Nov 2012 08:49:11 87,929 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh.

What I really like about Martinez is his ability to identify players. Seems to do it again and again. His best players keep getting bought (Baines, Valencia, Palacios, Moses) and he keeps replacing them and not getting relegated. And yeah, I like his approach to football.

I honestly think he's very similar to AVB but has a better understanding of the Prem and is generally an easier guy to get along with. I'd have him in a shot when AVB inevitably gets sacked (my guess would be around this time next year).
  • THFourteen 6 Nov 2012 08:49:51 33,616 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    convz wrote:

thats what makes football fun, and less cuddly handshakey like rugby.
  • billythekid 6 Nov 2012 13:07:49 11,146 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
  • THFourteen 6 Nov 2012 14:01:44 33,616 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GLOL!
  • danathjo 6 Nov 2012 14:38:55 7,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just reminds me of Human Centipepe. How many poors kidnapped backpackers are feasting off Wengers waffle? :/

That film has ruined me.
  • thedaveeyres 6 Nov 2012 15:05:40 11,140 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That is awesome.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• The-Bodybuilder 6 Nov 2012 15:06:25 14,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @SuperCoolEskimo I was just messing about. :D
  • THFourteen 6 Nov 2012 16:51:02 33,616 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Walcott is Arsenal player of the month.

Why does everything make me want to facepalm thesedays.

i sense another facepalming tonight :-(
  • morriss 6 Nov 2012 17:19:38 71,034 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Heh.

What I really like about Martinez is his ability to identify players. Seems to do it again and again. His best players keep getting bought (Baines, Valencia, Palacios, Moses) and he keeps replacing them and not getting relegated. And yeah, I like his approach to football.

I honestly think he's very similar to AVB but has a better understanding of the Prem and is generally an easier guy to get along with. I'd have him in a shot when AVB inevitably gets sacked (my guess would be around this time next year).
    I hate being wrong.
  • Deleted user 6 November 2012 17:19:54
    Me too
  • kalel 6 Nov 2012 17:23:42 87,929 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    About AVB or Martinez? :p

I'm not writing off AVB yet, but it's not looking good. The main problem is that he'll never be given the time or resources that he really needs.

As for Martinez we won't know what he can do until he goes to a bigger club. Think he deserves a shot though. I just get the sense that he'll work better with Levy as well.
  • morriss 6 Nov 2012 17:34:37 71,034 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AVB is looking fine. I don't know how it's 'not looking good', tbh. Judge him with a full squad for a start!

But yeah, I underrated Martinez.
  • morriss 6 Nov 2012 17:34:57 71,034 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 5502 First / Last