The all-new Premier League thread Page 2905

• Page

of 5425 First / Last

• nickthegun 5 Nov 2012 12:50:49 59,537 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At least, generally, if you are moaning online you arent affecting the team. I do try and get behind the team as booing generally wont do any good.

I was in the shouting end when I was a wee lad and I remember a Derby Aggro chap going apeshit at this other guy for booing. "Support not slag, you cunt" he screamed in this dudes face.

Also, I have been at 'sack the board' type affairs, but thats a different kettle of fish entirely.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• THFourteen 5 Nov 2012 12:51:06 33,265 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Normally i sit and boo quitely to myself if everyone else is booing. I don't agree or disagree with booing. What i don't like is booing specific players off, i think players know when they are a load of shit, and they don't pick themselves.

The one time i found myself in a spate of uncontrollable booing was last season when Wenger took of The OC halfway through the united game, and i was right in with everyone else on the "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING" chants.

i don't regret that in retrospect, it felt right at the time.
  • nickthegun 5 Nov 2012 12:52:52 59,537 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Normally i sit and boo quitely to myself if everyone else is booing
    Just so you know, this makes you sound mental.

• nickthegun 5 Nov 2012 12:54:10 59,537 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted

• TheSaint 5 Nov 2012 12:55:05 14,317 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    fix.
  • nickthegun 5 Nov 2012 12:55:32 59,537 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    God dammit, can someone fix that deleted post bug? I knew that joke didnt work on the page as soon as I hit post.

• Zizoo 5 Nov 2012 12:57:29 8,288 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Oh, I heard a funny today: A lot of Arsenal fans want ABV as their next manager. Anyone But Wenger.
    This one?

I love this bug :-P
  • thedaveeyres 5 Nov 2012 12:58:34 10,928 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• nickthegun 5 Nov 2012 12:58:49 59,537 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, precisely that one, very good.

• nickthegun 5 Nov 2012 12:59:50 59,537 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    At least hes still got an effective scouting network.

• kalel 5 Nov 2012 13:00:08 87,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also it's AVB, not ABV.
  • morriss 5 Nov 2012 13:00:30 70,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Spurs have been rubbish today. And our fans are spoiled children.
    They are yes, although as ever it's more the general reaction on the dedicated Spurs boards that astonishes and disappoints me, as opposed to the booing.

I don't think booing is constructive and I try not to do it, but I'd be lying if I said I never have done. I think it's often an understandable response, and it's not really any different to sitting in front of a telly and having a rant at it. Just because someone's gone to a game doesn't mean they are obliged to cheer and clap even in the face of an appalling display. Some might even argue that paying a fortune gives you more of a right to demonstrate your disgust at such a thing.
    I Think booing at the end is ok, but during a match because you don't agree with a substitution is awful, I feel. It sends such a negative message to the players. What would they have done if Ade would have scored two? How will all the boo boys have looked?

Sure, boo at the end if you don't like what you have seen.
  • kalel 5 Nov 2012 13:04:39 87,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    At least, generally, if you are moaning online you arent affecting the team. I do try and get behind the team as booing generally wont do any good.
    Of course, and I try not to do it for that reason. But it's not really a rationale act. It's just an outpouring of emotion and sometimes it happens.

And yeah, it can be a bit ridiculous when people do it at halftime or whatever, but when that's happened it's always due to an abysmal performance and general poor attitude. That's what gets booed, not scorelines. We'd probably boo a win if we played badly enough, and I've certainly been at plenty of losses where we haven't booed.

In short don't think it's fair to accuse fans of being "spoiled" just for booing their team. If they booed every loss then sure, but again, it's not scorelines they boo. It's a lack of effort, or a manager's decisions, or sometimes refs or even opposition players. It's had to get a sense of where the outrage is unless you're there.
  • nickthegun 5 Nov 2012 13:06:11 59,537 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Also it's AVB, not ABV.
    I think thats the joke. Although im not sure of anything anymore.

• kalel 5 Nov 2012 13:07:04 87,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    I Think booing at the end is ok, but during a match because you don't agree with a substitution is awful, I feel. It sends such a negative message to the players. What would they have done if Ade would have scored two? How will all the boo boys have looked?

Well, in this case they were booing the decision not to have Defoe and Ade together. They wanted two up front. So they were booing the tactics, not the players.

Booing a player I agree is awful. I use to nearly get into fights over people booing Jenas all the time. Hated it.
  • Dougs 5 Nov 2012 13:08:15 67,299 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Even when you found out he was injured? :)
  • nickthegun 5 Nov 2012 13:09:03 59,537 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It's a lack of effort, or a manager's decisions, or sometimes refs or even opposition players. It's had to get a sense of where the outrage is unless you're there.
    Or a combination of all of the above. Sometimes the planets align so badly that you have a bad board, manager and team and all you can do is boo at the fucking hopelessness of it all.

• Deckard1 5 Nov 2012 13:11:33 27,773 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If Jenas were here now I'd probably boo him. Boo him right in the face.

Hush you ponce

• THFourteen 5 Nov 2012 13:11:38 33,265 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Even when you found out he was injured? :)
    Hehe.
  • kalel 5 Nov 2012 13:16:23 87,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Actually booing a manager's decision mid-game is probably a bit off as well thinking about it. At the time it was very frustrating though.
  • nickthegun 5 Nov 2012 13:19:03 59,537 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Again, its easy to do. Theres nothing worse than a forward going off and a defensive midfielder coming off at 1-0.

• morriss 5 Nov 2012 16:26:18 70,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    morriss wrote:

Well, in this case they were booing the decision not to have Defoe and Ade together. They wanted two up front. So they were booing the tactics, not the players.

Booing a player I agree is awful. I use to nearly get into fights over people booing Jenas all the time. Hated it.
    Thing is 'they' don't understand football, otherwise Daniel Levy would let ''them" pick the team.
  • oceanmotion 5 Nov 2012 16:37:28 15,848 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AVB looks like he hasn't got a clue at times on the touchline. Perhaps just his body language but it doesn't fill you with confidence.
  • askew 5 Nov 2012 16:43:47 12,189 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They should do that in a friendly: get the crowd to vote for the starting XI and formation.
  • roz123 5 Nov 2012 16:53:59 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    AVB looks like he hasn't got a clue at times on the touchline. Perhaps just his body language but it doesn't fill you with confidence.
    At least he is not squatting anymore, which shows he learnt something from his time at Chelsea.
  • morriss 5 Nov 2012 16:59:56 70,947 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We're 5th in the table, we played poorly. The fans are treating him like he's Steve Keane. Wankers.
  • kalel 5 Nov 2012 17:06:14 87,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    morriss wrote:

Thing is 'they' don't understand football, otherwise Daniel Levy would let ''them" pick the team.
    Agreed, and as I say, booing is neither constructive nor helpful. I'm just saying it's not necessarily fair to label it as a reaction of the "spoiled".

I think there's a view (not just held by you) that booing fans are childish and spoilt, and it's a sort of modern fan "prawn sandwich" type thing - the fans that have a false sense of entitlement and don't really understand what football is all about etc etc.

In my experience while it is childish, it's actually more about the traditional fan's reaction to the modern player and the modern game. It's the fans that travel for an hour, pay a fortune and stand around in the pissing rain that tend to boo loudest, as they're the ones most aggrieved by the 100k a week players preening around and not putting in the effort. It is a sense of entitlement I suppose, but not to seeing the team win, but to seeing the players put in the required effort. And I think we are entitled to that.

OK yes, in this case they were booing a manager's decision, but as nick says above, eventually the boos just become about everything. Really the frustration on Saturday was all about the general perceived lack of effort overall.
  • Dougs 5 Nov 2012 17:38:30 67,299 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Booing is nothing new though, so not sure it's just a reaction to modern players. You're right that it's as much about effort as results though.
  • kalel 5 Nov 2012 17:40:39 87,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Perhaps. I was just flipping round the whole "modern fan" thing.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2012 17:43:09
    kalel wrote:
    Also it's AVB, not ABV.
    AVB, not ABW.
  • Page

of 5425 First / Last