The all-new Premier League thread Page 2856

• Page

of 5502 First / Last

• faux-C 8 Oct 2012 23:31:45 9,398 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Cripsy's right, it's the soapifying of it all that really bothers me. Everything is immediately reflected through these ridiculous media lenses to generate headlines and website clicks. Events that don't fit the media-driven narrative are ignored whilst events that confirm it are blown out of all proportion.

Also the fact that people still make more of a fuss about diving than violence is just insane.
    Well it doesn't bother me so much as I don't read newspapers - But a good example is the the other week when most of the sports news sites selectively quoted Ageuro.

Quotes from players, managers and officials are almost completely pointless in reading these days as the curcumstances and questions asked are realy revealed so we never know context.

Suarez is a diving twat though and you know it! :D
    I actually find that when I have a holiday from work and so don't spend my whole day reading as much football crap as I can find to fill the void, I'm much calmer about it all. I should try to avoid it, but it's compulsive.

Also: yes, I admit it.
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 23:40:24
    Yeah, I do 11 or so hours of constant work now so I glance over most of the shit posted as news on sports sites.
  • reddevil93 9 Oct 2012 00:52:27 11,813 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So more gif goodness from redcafe, for the Newcastle crowd this time

• RobTheBuilder 9 Oct 2012 01:47:29 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @reddevil93 That's one hell of a dance
  • kalel 9 Oct 2012 08:49:39 87,910 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Villas Boas conspiracy!

Good article. Like the point about Harry writing for The Sun.
  • darkmorgado 9 Oct 2012 08:56:04 15,561 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can't believe that after the last few weeks Suarez wasn't told to cut out the more ludicrous dives. He must have been told that if he cut the more theatrical crap out for a while then he may start to get penalties. And what does he do on Saturday? His most feeble effort yet.

The thing is, the refs will see replays from the games afterwards and draw their own conclusions about whether they were right or wrong. Take the utd game. Maybe the ref saw the penalty claim and thought it could have been given. He'll also have seen him throw himself to the floor clutching his head to try and get Ferdinand a sending off and a three game ban.

If Rodgers doesn't like his player being vilified (as per this morning's latest whine) then it's up to him to explain to his player how his behaviour needs to change. Blaming the refs just makes him look like a tit.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• kalel 9 Oct 2012 09:00:20 87,910 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I kind of feel the same about Tony Pulis. He can't come out after a game and criticise Suarez for diving when his team are the biggest bunch of nasty cynical violent fouling cunts in the universe.

If he'd have come out and criticised Huth for his stamp and Suarez for his dive in the same breath, then maybe the FA would have looked at the Suarez dive. You can't excuse one and moan about the other though.
  • roz123 9 Oct 2012 09:09:27 7,113 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    #BestFootballChants is a current trend on twitter that is worth looking at
  • nickthegun 9 Oct 2012 09:11:45 60,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its going to be interesting, when he finally has a run, to see if Ashley Young has had it beaten out of him.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• nickthegun 9 Oct 2012 09:14:52 60,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I kind of feel the same about Tony Pulis. He can't come out after a game and criticise Suarez for diving when his team are the biggest bunch of nasty cynical violent fouling cunts in the universe.

If he'd have come out and criticised Huth for his stamp and Suarez for his dive in the same breath, then maybe the FA would have looked at the Suarez dive. You can't excuse one and moan about the other though.
    The thing about the Huth incident is that its one of 'those' ones where only the player knows if its deliberate.

I know it looks suspicious, but it could also have been a genuine accident. The Suarez one was 100%, nailed on diving so I think its reasonably fair enough to decry one without mentioning the other.

• mikew1985 9 Oct 2012 09:16:06 12,785 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hopefully, but the thing with Ashley Young is that he's waaay better at it than both Bale and Suarez.
  • ElNuevo9 9 Oct 2012 09:41:48 13,443 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think Jimmy Bullards dive against Everton was more convincing than 90% of the Suarez efforts, and that was a complete piss take.

Edited by ElNino9 at 09:42:07 09-10-2012

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• mcmonkeyplc 9 Oct 2012 09:47:20 39,458 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    So more gif goodness from redcafe, for the Newcastle crowd this time

Mr Cleverley has a ball fetish that needs to be controlled.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• darkmorgado 9 Oct 2012 11:49:19 15,561 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:

He did make a tit of himself in the interviews. Apparently he left before anyone got the chance to ask about huth.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• reddevil93 9 Oct 2012 12:38:35 11,813 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Moyes manager of the month for September. I take it that Villlassh Boash lad is still doing shit?

• Orange 9 Oct 2012 12:41:48 4,822 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If they're going just by results in September, then that is a complete joke. If it's for the season so far, then fine, although Clarke at West Brom deserves it more.
  • kalel 9 Oct 2012 12:43:38 87,910 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Moyes manager of the month for September. I take it that Villlassh Boash lad is still doing shit?
    Moyes: played 5, won 3, drawn 1, lost 1.

AVB: played 6, won 4, drawn 2, lost 0.

/shrug
  • nickthegun 9 Oct 2012 12:49:13 60,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Moyes gets at least another win for 'doing it on a shoestring'

• LeoliansBro 9 Oct 2012 12:56:41 44,415 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Everyone likes Spurs now, but everyone's always liked Everton. They're like the non-threatening-mate-who-still-cracks-jokes-and-is-a-bit-of-a-laugh-and-we-should-really-find-him-a-girlfriend of the Premier League.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 12:56:58 09-10-2012

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Trowel 9 Oct 2012 13:01:50 17,796 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Moyes: played 5, won 3, drawn 1, lost 1.

AVB: played 6, won 4, drawn 2, lost 0.

/shrug
    PL only, but you still had the better month, so I'm also surprised AVB didn't get it as it's usually that straightforward. Fletcher won the player award.
  • Shikasama 9 Oct 2012 13:22:32 6,869 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hard to begrudge Moyes a personal award though innit.
  • kalel 9 Oct 2012 13:24:45 87,910 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It apparently counts for August as well, in which case surely it has to be Di Matteo, but whatever. Always a curse for us anyway.
  • Orange 9 Oct 2012 13:26:11 4,822 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Di Matteo or Clarke if you weight expectations.
  • ElNuevo9 9 Oct 2012 13:33:27 13,443 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Think it's deserved tbf. Everton have started appallingly for years now, only coming into any real form halfway through the season.

That and Villas Boas is a cunt.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• roz123 9 Oct 2012 13:53:08 7,113 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Clarkes unlucky if it includes August as he has led West Brom to their best start since 1919.
  • SolidSCB 9 Oct 2012 13:56:35 6,771 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Forget manager of the month, how the hell wasn't Suarez picked as player of the month? He's been fucking brilliant, has hit the post at least 6 times and should have been awarded a minimum of 12 penalties. Just another in the long line of injustices that have been brought against the great man.
  • Blakester 9 Oct 2012 14:39:48 3,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We done this piece in the Guardian about Newcastle's potential new sponsor?

Regardless of what you think of the company, it does seem as though The Guardian has a massive agenda against them.

I just want to hear the Sky commentators start their broadcast by welcoming us to the Wonga Arena.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• President_Weasel 9 Oct 2012 15:05:56 9,381 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blakester wrote:

Regardless of what you think of the company, it does seem as though The Guardian has a massive agenda against them.

Regardless of what you think of the company?
    Not if you think that Wonga are scum, legalised loan sharks profiting off people in financial difficulty by charging interest of 1% a day. If you think that, then the guardian are just describing them and trying to make sure people are warned.
  • roz123 9 Oct 2012 15:15:20 7,113 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Apparently Wonga are going to buy the stadium name rights and return it to St James Park, which is a shame as Wonga Arena has a certain classy feel to it. Still, it will always be Sports Direct arena in my mind.

Charlie Adam is saying that stopping Bale will be key to winning against Wales, not much chance of him being fit for the Chelsea game then :p
  • Blakester 9 Oct 2012 15:21:00 3,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    Blakester wrote:

Regardless of what you think of the company?
    Not if you think that Wonga are scum, legalised loan sharks profiting off people in financial difficulty by charging interest of 1% a day. If you think that, then the guardian are just describing them and trying to make sure people are warned.
    Yeah but it's not like they're the only pay-day loan company charging obscene interest rates.

But I guess they are the only one potentially sponsoring a football club which makes it newsworthy.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Page

of 5502 First / Last