The all-new Premier League thread Page 2855

• Page

of 5503 First / Last

• StarchildHypocrethes 8 Oct 2012 22:43:15 25,942 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Would hope that some Liverpool fans would be bigger than that.
    Hahaha.

Good one.
  • SolidSCB 8 Oct 2012 22:43:53 6,775 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Listen, I think we are being a bit unfair here. Everyone is entitled to defend their club and it's players. I think rawk_carnation has every right to say what he has.
  • faux-C 8 Oct 2012 22:47:53 9,399 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I genuinely find it difficult to understand the level of hate, but then some people have full on hated him since the handball in the World Cup, whereas at the time (way before he was a Liverpool player), I said that was brilliant.

The diving I really don't care about. Players dive. So what? It doesn't hurt anyone. The outrage about diving in England is fucking tedious, especially comapred to some of the tackles that go without comment.(Suarez's Ajax tackles above which I'd never seen before are genuinely awful.)

Obviously I understand people's reaction to the Evra stuff, and that's fair enough...

Meh.

edit: Basically I don't understand getting so worked up about a player on a team you don't support and using bullshit arguments about the integrity of the game. The game is a fucking mess.

Edited by faux_carnation at 22:49:48 08-10-2012

Edited by faux_carnation at 22:50:33 08-10-2012
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 22:51:19
    'Players dive, so what?'

Are you fucking joking?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Oct 2012 22:52:17 25,942 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Diving. Malicious tackles. Racism.

I just don't understand the hate. Meh.

Yeah, it's hard to get.
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 22:52:23
    He's a Liverpool fan, of course he's not joking.
  • FWB 8 Oct 2012 22:55:40 44,671 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm not really surprised you don't get it. Sad though.

"The game's a mess, so fuck it. Let them do what they want."

I'd be more inclined to make a fuss about it, write to the club and put up banners, but ho-hum, if that's what you think the game is about now then Suarez is at the perfect club for him. But we will get worked up, cos alas Liverpool do not play in a league by themselves. I really wish they did. REALLY. But sadly the rest of us have to play them each week.

Edited by FWB at 22:56:42 08-10-2012
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 22:57:55
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Listen, I think we are being a bit unfair here. Everyone is entitled to defend their club and it's players. I think rawk_carnation has every right to say what he has.
    Of course. In general you'll have a better understanding through exposure from you're own following. There's a limit though. I think a lot of people in this thread (and most footy forums) are quick to jump/defend on teams/players too mainly because the medias reporting/soapifiying of this sport has caused as well.

I remember mostly switching off it all around the time the sun tried to make a scandal out of Micah Richards having a threesome even though he's single, doesn't drink and is young. Footy news is almost like a gossip mag for blokes these days :)

/working late again
  • FWB 8 Oct 2012 23:00:00 44,671 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Was it a good threesome or a bad threesome?
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 23:00:11
    mowgli wrote:
    'Players dive, so what?'

Are you fucking joking?
    That's two fold though. Most of the time it's to make see the ref has seen a blatant foul, actual feigning happens far less but is obviously highlighted more and is far from unique for football
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 23:01:30
    FWB wrote:
    Was it a good threesome or a bad threesome?
    Two blokes. One bird - sounds horrendous to me :)
  • faux-C 8 Oct 2012 23:04:25 9,399 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cripsy's right, it's the soapifying of it all that really bothers me. Everything is immediately reflected through these ridiculous media lenses to generate headlines and website clicks. Events that don't fit the media-driven narrative are ignored whilst events that confirm it are blown out of all proportion.

Also the fact that people still make more of a fuss about diving than violence is just insane.
  • darkmorgado 8 Oct 2012 23:05:07 15,561 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Put aside the racist abuse, the vile reaction of LFC generally and Kenny Dalglish in particular. Forget the biting. For get the handball.

It's not just the diving. It's the screaming over reaction when things don't go his way. From him on the pitch, liverpool fans of it and from the Irish Bernard Breslaw impersonator who manages the team.

All teams have divers, but there's two differences:

1) Very rarely, if ever, has the english league had a persistent diver who's so bloody bad at it.

2) The fans of those teams never got into hysterical over reactions as to how it's so unfair, he's not a diver anyway, he should have had a penalty last week, blah blah blah, bleat bleat bleat.

If Suarez played for any other team he wouldn't get the same level of hate. To a large extent, fans of other teams project their natural loathing of the self importance and natural victim mentality of the fans of liverpool and project it onto the most foul player in the team.

The reaction to the Suarez/Evra hoo-hah was almost a parody of the liverpool mentality. By booing Suarez, you boo the t shirts, the hysterical phone calls to radio phone ins and, of course, the booing of Evra at Anfield: 40,000 people screaming at a man whose only crime was to complain about receiving racist abuse on the pitch.

When you lot turned Suarez into the victim it made the rest of the football world want to puke. You managed to get right-thinking fans of other teams to feel some sympathy for Evra - no mean feat given that he's not the most sympathetic character in the world.

Has that clarified it at all for you?

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• faux-C 8 Oct 2012 23:06:16 9,399 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's a very good post.
  • darkmorgado 8 Oct 2012 23:08:11 15,561 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thank you.

• mcmonkeyplc 8 Oct 2012 23:08:25 39,464 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fozzie I love you.

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 23:08:44 08-10-2012

Come and get it cumslingers!

• FWB 8 Oct 2012 23:08:40 44,671 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So Suarez's cheating and violence is just a product of the media circus, a Michael Bay production if you will? I'm not really witnessing any of it? CGI has got bloody good.
  • SolidSCB 8 Oct 2012 23:10:36 6,775 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 23:11:35
    Seriously, forgetting the fact that it is your player in your team. Forget the fact that it is football. Actually, just ignore the whole sportsmanship issue completely. At the most basic human level possibly do you not feel completely fucking embarrassed and ashamed to see a grown man fall and flap about like a fairy? Does this not speak to something deep inside or is this innate shame chipped away with every motd? Genuine question. Because everytime i see a blatant dive and hysterical display i don't care what team they are in. I very much want to see some taliban style punishment.
  • reddevil93 8 Oct 2012 23:12:05 11,814 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whole club has a bloody victim complex, always excuses for their failings and it really is never their fault. Gerrard even came out the other day saying there's no doubt he'd have a PL medal if it wasn't for sugar daddy owners, always fucking excuses.

• darkmorgado 8 Oct 2012 23:12:07 15,561 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    Unless the game is naked female custard wrestling

• Deleted user 8 October 2012 23:15:21
    FWB wrote:
    So Suarez's cheating and violence is just a product of the media circus, a Michael Bay production if you will? I'm not really witnessing any of it? CGI has got bloody good.
    Hehe, I find watching the games and skipping all that media stuff much more fun. What did cole do anyway guys?

Also, good post Fozzie.
  • faux-C 8 Oct 2012 23:16:50 9,399 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Seriously, forgetting the fact that it is your player in your team. Forget the fact that it is football. Actually, just ignore the whole sportsmanship issue completely. At the most basic human level possibly do you not feel completely fucking embarrassed and ashamed to see a grown man fall and flap about like a fairy? Does this not speak to something deep inside or is this innate shame chipped away with every motd? Genuine question. Because everytime i see a blatant dive and hysterical display i don't care what team they are in. I very much want to see some taliban style punishment.
    As much as I can see that most of my defence of Suarez is based on club loyalty, the one thing I think I would completely, 100% still think regardless of which club I supported, would be that diving is really not a big deal. I just don't care about it. I think I've watched so much football where it's the norm that I've become immune. I've started to think of it as a skill. Suarez is TERRIBLE at it.

Edited by faux_carnation at 23:17:24 08-10-2012
  • FWB 8 Oct 2012 23:18:59 44,671 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not all of us read the Sun/Mail/Mirror. I do read the BBC website though and things do crop up there, but I don't think they cover any of the gossip shite. Only if it gets picked up by the FA. I know what happens with Suarez because I watch the matches.

Cole posted posted a negative tweet about the FA. Not sure what it said*, but they've jumped on it.
  • Orange 8 Oct 2012 23:19:57 4,823 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Suarez was the most hated player in the Netherlands for the same reasons. It's not like he's been witch hunted since he turned up in England or since his World Cup handball, just carried on behaving the same way and reaping the same consequences for it.
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 23:20:20
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Whole club has a bloody victim complex, always excuses for their failings and it really is never their fault. Gerrard even came out the other day saying there's no doubt he'd have a PL medal if it wasn't for sugar daddy owners, always fucking excuses.
    They certainly have money to spunk on shit :)
  • captbirdseye 8 Oct 2012 23:22:50 5,033 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thought Furbs might've saved the day for Faux.
  • FWB 8 Oct 2012 23:24:47 44,671 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Orange wrote:
    Suarez was the most hated player in the Netherlands for the same reasons. It's not like he's been witch hunted since he turned up in England or since his World Cup handball, just carried on behaving the same way and reaping the same consequences for it.
    My Dutch mate who has a mild interest in football told me what a cock Suraez was before he turned up. Said he was happy that the league had got rid of him.

I've taught quite a few Uruguayans and not one of them had a nice thing to say about him. Couple who were into football said that it made it difficult to support the national side.

Edited by FWB at 23:28:02 08-10-2012
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 23:25:32
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Cripsy's right, it's the soapifying of it all that really bothers me. Everything is immediately reflected through these ridiculous media lenses to generate headlines and website clicks. Events that don't fit the media-driven narrative are ignored whilst events that confirm it are blown out of all proportion.

Also the fact that people still make more of a fuss about diving than violence is just insane.
    Well it doesn't bother me so much as I don't read newspapers - But a good example is the the other week when most of the sports news sites selectively quoted Ageuro.

Quotes from players, managers and officials are almost completely pointless in reading these days as the curcumstances and questions asked are realy revealed so we never know context.

Suarez is a diving twat though and you know it! :D
  • LionheartDJH 8 Oct 2012 23:30:38 19,486 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    FWB wrote:
    Would hope that some Liverpool fans would be bigger than that.
    Hahaha.

Good one.
    No tbf I think he is a twat. I really wish he wasn't as he is quite a talented player, but the awful diving ruins his game and is now actually causing us problems.

That's before getting to the more serious stuff like racist abuse and doing an Iron Mike. I think he revels in the hate, must do otherwise you'd think he'd do something about it and stop acting the way he does.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Page

of 5503 First / Last