The all-new Premier League thread Page 2840

• Page

of 5619 First / Last

• ecu 3 Oct 2012 20:17:52 77,234 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Weren't you just complaining about the shitty quality of the thread five minutes ago?
  • Deleted user 3 October 2012 20:29:07
    I've never once suggested corruption. He just exerts a disproportionately high amount of influence. It's nothing more than a combination of being the longest serving manager of the biggest club, and being highly outspoken (which is why he has had the most bans). He is in short, a scary bully.

This is all very obvious to everyone apart from apparently the Man U fans.
  • mikew1985 3 Oct 2012 20:29:16 12,985 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is why I cut and run. Its more fun looking for a bite than it is biting.
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Oct 2012 20:30:01 14,395 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Weren't you just complaining about the shitty quality of the thread five minutes ago?
    Indeed I was. Does that change the fact that you're easy to troll?

The point was that clearly a handful or on a United troll. And sure, it's a dick thing to do, but to so easily fall for the bait just perpetuates it.

Maybe just not take the bait perhaps?

Edited by The-Bodybuilder at 20:31:05 03-10-2012
  • Deleted user 3 October 2012 20:36:05
    It is possible to have a valid point whilst also enjoying poking the flames.
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Oct 2012 20:44:35 14,395 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Indeed it is. I can see the valid point.
    My point is if someone (not naming names) can't take it, thy should simply ignore it, and throw a fit.
  • ecu 3 Oct 2012 21:06:12 77,234 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Indeed I was. Does that change the fact that you're easy to troll?

The point was that clearly a handful or on a United troll. And sure, it's a dick thing to do, but to so easily fall for the bait just perpetuates it.

Maybe just not take the bait perhaps?
    I hardly ever post in here anymore and I've only made a couple of posts on the subject today. I usually have kalel on ignore so I don't even see this thread. It's been a trainwreck of a thread for a while but I do check in occasionally to see what's going on.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2012 21:07:57
    Well that's just a big fat lie.
  • ecu 3 Oct 2012 21:17:58 77,234 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not really, no. Though I guess technically I've made more than a couple of posts here today..
  • mikew1985 3 Oct 2012 21:24:02 12,985 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He's definitely not been around much recently, he's not lying there.

I've probably posted more in here this season and even I'm sporadic at best.
  • King_Edward 3 Oct 2012 21:27:06 11,467 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He just has a sensor that goes of whenever someone takes a pop at Fergie or De Gea.
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Oct 2012 22:29:53 14,395 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    De Gealol.
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Oct 2012 22:31:07 14,395 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think you've just been lurking ecu. Maybe not commenting as much, but your timing to post whenever the topic of United (fergie, De Gea, United are doomed financially, etc.) does seem somewhat uncanncy.

No shame in that. I'm much more of a lurker these days.
  • Syrette 3 Oct 2012 22:37:11 44,098 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Man Utd fans are sensitive? This is news to anyone?

• ElNuevo9 4 Oct 2012 02:22:51 13,546 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All football fans are sensitive about their club FFS.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Feanor 4 Oct 2012 02:36:07 14,183 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Man United fans take the cake, though. 12 titles out of the last 20 and they still act like they've had it rough.
  • MadCaddy13 4 Oct 2012 07:44:09 2,039 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    America has the right type of sports - in title winning senses. Every team has the possibility of winning a title/ series. But for us it's either Chelsea Man U or man city. Until some bored rich guy cheats (unlimited money cheat). Imagine the prem being a mixed bag of winners. Well like the championship
  • mcmonkeyplc 4 Oct 2012 07:59:41 39,515 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Internet lolz.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• roz123 4 Oct 2012 09:00:47 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is it now a rule that Europa league teams play on a sunday after having a game on thursday?
  • morriss 4 Oct 2012 09:03:31 71,283 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wasn't it always?
  • roz123 4 Oct 2012 09:13:28 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No, we played Newcastle on a saturday and Pardew had a moan about it. Now it seems games like Liverpool Stoke have been moved back one day. It makes sense though I was just wondering if it was a reaction to those comments

Edited by roz123 at 09:13:53 04-10-2012
  • faux-C 4 Oct 2012 11:39:26 9,532 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    No, we played Newcastle on a saturday and Pardew had a moan about it. Now it seems games like Liverpool Stoke have been moved back one day. It makes sense though I was just wondering if it was a reaction to those comments
    It's been a rule for ages. The game you're talking about had to be played on a Saturday because of some police thing. It was a one off.
  • Dougs 4 Oct 2012 11:44:51 69,083 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not sure it's a rule as such, just common sense where possible.
  • Dougs 4 Oct 2012 11:49:01 69,083 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Doh, wrong thread

Edited by Dougs at 11:49:31 04-10-2012
  • reddevil93 4 Oct 2012 13:47:38 11,955 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From the times:

Be silent, conspiracy theorists: United have no power over the refereeing calendar

Tony Evans

The conspiracy theorists are out in force this week. Chris Foy, after refusing to give Manchester United a penalty at Old Trafford last weekend, finds himself in npower League Two for the Accrington Stanley v Rochdale match.

That'll teach him for crossing Alex Ferguson. Except...

The reality is different. The evil empire of the Govan gang boss has not struck again. As much as we'd all love to imagine Ferguson as leader of the lizard people, manipulating world events from a cave below Carrington, it's just not right.

The selection of referees is decided six weeks in advance and takes in many factors. It's affected by international matches, Uefa's competitions, domestic cups. Sometimes it needs to be shuffled about at the last minute because of injuries. Foy was given this game back in August.

Ah, but the statistics scream out that this is a lie, you say. Well let's look at some stats.

Every referee does between five and ten Football League matches in a season. Only the three elite officials - Howard Webb, Mark Clattenburg and Martin Atkinson - do fewer. Last season, Foy did seven lower-level games, including two League One matches.

So far this season, nine of the 16 Select Group of officials have taken charge of a Football League contest. League Two gets to see less of the Select Group than the divisions above, but last season it was graced by members of the Select Group 12 times. Kevin Friend, Mark Halsey, Mike Jones, Neil Swarbrick and Jon Moss went straight from a top-flight game to a fourth-tier match in the space of a week.

Ah, you say, what about Clattenburg? In charge of the 6-1 defeat by Manchester City and never seen again. At least not at a United game. At least not for 36 league matches.

The problem with this is that Clattenburg has not taken charge of Liverpool for 40 league games. Or Arsenal for 36. Or does the malign reach of Ferguson go farther than we all imagined?

Before we all tie ourselves in knots, let's state a few simple truths:

So let's address these issues. Home teams get more decisions from referees. Home teams with big crowds tend to do even better. It's simple psychology. Plus, when you have a lot of the ball and you camp out in the opposition half, you draw fouls. It used to happen at Anfield in the 1980s. It happened at Highbury around the millennium.

But why don't opposition teams get penalties at Old Trafford? For the same reason they don't score that many against United. They don't get into the home side's penalty area that often. It's the same reason why few teams win there.

The most interesting point, though, is United's political power. They are masters of back-room machinations. At one disciplinary session, the other club involved received polite but cursory greetings from the FA bigwigs involved. Enter Ferguson and the mood changed. The treatment the United delegation received was different. It was like a reunion of old friends and after the backslapping there was a scramble to make sure Ferguson was comfortable, that he had a hot drink and everything he needed. "I knew we'd lose then," a representative of the other club said. And they did.

But again, there's no conspiracy. Ferguson has status and respect for two reasons: longevity and success. United's success in the boardrooms is built on more than the manager, though.

When United play away games, David Gill, Sir Bobby Charlton and other high-ranking officials often attend. They glad-hand, they schmooze, they are humble in victory and generous in defeat. They make friends. It's networking at its best. United know how to negotiate the corridors of power, from the most ramshackle ground in the league to the G14 table.

Doesn't everyone do that?

No. Carlo Ancelotti was shocked to find that at some Chelsea away games he was the most senior club official in the stadium. A former manager of another club who were once on the wrong end of a set-to with United complained that his sole boardroom representative at away games was unable work the room like United's charm squad.

For all the spit-flying, hairdrying image that Ferguson likes to project, United know how to win friends and influence people. And they do.

So yes, United probably have more pull with the FA, Premier League, Uefa, Fifa, the Pope and God than your club. But they're not in the business of getting Foy, or any other referee blacklisted.

No conspiracy this time, sadly, just a quirk of the refereeing calender. But make no mistake. Powerful clubs flex their muscles whenever they can. And they don't come more powerful than United.

• Deleted user 4 October 2012 13:53:13
    That article basically says exactly what I've been saying no?
  • reddevil93 4 Oct 2012 13:55:28 11,955 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apart from the conspiracy shite you were spouting about the refs, yeah.

• dsmx 4 Oct 2012 14:00:08 7,689 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If what you meant was that United try to be nice to everyone they meet so it doesn't come back to bite them in the arse later, then yes kalel.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Deleted user 4 October 2012 14:00:41
    The only person that used the word conspiracy was ecu.

You guys really need to stop being so reactionary and defensive and reading extremism into every negative post about United. I know it helps build your case to push reasonable posts to extremes to make them sound ridiculous, but you're arguing against points that have never been made. As per my post above:

I've never once suggested corruption. He just exerts a disproportionately high amount of influence. It's nothing more than a combination of being the longest serving manager of the biggest club, and being highly outspoken (which is why he has had the most bans). He is in short, a scary bully.
    This is in many ways the gist of the article you just posted. OK, I implied I didn't think it was coincidence that Foy got "demoted" and I still don't, but you need to stop accusing people of conspiracy theories. There have been none put forward. Its just a strawman.
  • reddevil93 4 Oct 2012 14:09:59 11,955 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You still think its not coincidence? That's funny. And you didn't imply it, you said it was disgraceful how Fergie can get away with such things.

• Page

of 5619 First / Last