The all-new Premier League thread Page 2834

• Page

of 5390 First / Last

• mikew1985 1 Oct 2012 16:22:48 12,669 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Because United weren't playing yesterday?

He'll probably play tomorrow I'd imagine.
  • ElNino9 1 Oct 2012 16:23:04 13,372 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Why didn't he play yesterday?
    Because United played on Saturday,

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Deleted user 1 October 2012 16:23:14
    Saturday, whatever.
  • Deleted user 1 October 2012 16:23:41
    I see you're avoiding answering the question.
  • Fozzie_bear 1 Oct 2012 16:23:43 15,500 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Why didn't he play yesterday?
    They didn't have a game?

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• ElNino9 1 Oct 2012 16:25:16 13,372 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I don't really see how he can be defended so much by the United fans when overlord Fergie clearly doesn't rate him. Seems reasonably obvious to me that if he was so awesome he'd be playing every week.
    Fergie isn't without his shortcomings.

Fucking hell, look at him playing Giggs yesterday. Said it in the United thread, but he really hasn't got a clue about our best team yet. Not that it's available at the moment, but that's a different matter. Clearly doesn't know how to use Kagawa, either.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Tom_Servo 1 Oct 2012 16:26:29 17,548 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Playing Cluj in the CL group stage is a diddy game for the second string.
  • ecureuil 1 Oct 2012 16:26:57 76,729 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I don't really see how he can be defended so much by the United fans when overlord Fergie clearly doesn't rate him. Seems reasonably obvious to me that if he was so awesome he'd be playing every week.
    Fergie has always been a bit kneejerk like that, doesn't always work. He scrapped Tim Howard after his Porto mistake, and replaced him with Roy Carroll, and that was a fucking disaster of a decision.
  • mikew1985 1 Oct 2012 16:27:21 12,669 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Boom! A sarcky triumvirate :)

To answer the question; he hasn't played presumably because Fergie seems to be giving Lindegaard a chance and he hasn't been "bad" in any of the matches he's played. I would say he also hasn't been what I'd call good in any game, hasn't particularly pulled off any good saves and his distribution isn't half as good as De Gea (often it's downright poor tbh).
  • kalel 1 Oct 2012 16:27:35 87,001 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Fucking hell, look at him playing Giggs yesterday. Said it in the United thread, but he really hasn't got a clue about our best team yet. Not that it's available at the moment, but that's a different matter. Clearly doesn't know how to use Kagawa, either.
    Just so I'm clear, you're saying you are a better judge of the quality of your players and how best to use them than Fergie is?
  • Deleted user 1 October 2012 16:28:52
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Nah, it shows how good he is that he's being saved for just the big games.
  • mikew1985 1 Oct 2012 16:30:28 12,669 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Nah, it shows how good he is that he's being saved for just the big games.
    Clearly not what I'm saying.
  • mcmonkeyplc 1 Oct 2012 16:31:23 39,440 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's the premierleagueLOLocoaster next stop Ryan Giggs.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Deleted user 1 October 2012 16:37:50
    kalel wrote:
    ElNino9 wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Just so I'm clear, you're saying you are a better judge of the quality of your players and how best to use them than Fergie is?
    You can see all their hidden stats on Football Manager. It makes it a lot easier.
  • Deleted user 1 October 2012 16:39:48
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Boom! A sarcky triumvirate :)

To answer the question; he hasn't played presumably because Fergie seems to be giving Lindegaard a chance and he hasn't been "bad" in any of the matches he's played. I would say he also hasn't been what I'd call good in any game, hasn't particularly pulled off any good saves and his distribution isn't half as good as De Gea (often it's downright poor tbh).
    So he's bad despite not making mistakes and putting in consistently decent performances? Agreed that his distribution isn't great but he doesn't pass it out to oncoming strikers every 5 games.
  • Shikasama 1 Oct 2012 16:50:17 6,757 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    ElNino9 wrote:
    kalel wrote:

No, he is saying that Fergie's use of players isn't the be all and end all of their ability.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 1 Oct 2012 17:07:59 9,779 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Still is such a strange decision by Ferguson to spend so much on an inexperienced gk who is so physically ill-suited to the PL. Still, he continues to bring the lols though.
  • ecureuil 1 Oct 2012 17:09:57 76,729 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He's been mostly really good tbh. Don't know many Utd fans that don't like him because he makes more wonder saves than mistakes.
  • kalel 1 Oct 2012 17:13:06 87,001 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    ElNino9 wrote:
    kalel wrote:

No, he is saying that Fergie's use of players isn't the be all and end all of their ability.
    Well, that's the implication, but what he's actually saying is that Fergie has "shortcomings", "hasn't got a clue about our best team" and "clearly doesn't know how to use Kagawa".

I agree the subtext is therefore that just because he doesn't play De Gea that doesn't mean he's not absolutely fucking brilliant, but what he's primarily saying is that he knows better than Fergie how to manage United.

Edited by kalel at 17:13:51 01-10-2012
  • Blakester 1 Oct 2012 17:15:24 3,600 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Utd do love their comedy keepers for sure.

You'll have to go a long way to beat the laughs served up by the duo of Taibi and Barthez though. De Gea is more like a kid's entertainer in comparison.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• King_Edward 1 Oct 2012 17:21:56 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    De Gea is like a goalkeeping equivalent of Titus Bramble. The ability is clearly there, just never when you need it.
  • Deleted user 1 October 2012 17:33:07
    King_Edward wrote:
    De Gea is like a goalkeeping equivalent of Titus Bramble. The ability is clearly there, just never when you need it.
    What an odd player to use as a comparison. Or is it that De Gaea is generally very shit footballer but a hell of a sex fiend too?
  • kalel 1 Oct 2012 17:37:15 87,001 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    He's been mostly really good tbh. Don't know many Utd fans that don't like him because he makes more wonder saves than mistakes.
    It's actually more important in the PL to be the kind of keeper that bosses your area, than to be the kind of keeper who makes amazing saves.

If you show weakness or flappyness in your area, then the consequences are severe. Other teams will pick up on it and start bullying you in the box, and looking to exploit your weakness at every chance. It will also have an impact on your defence, in that they'll start to second guess the keeper and there'll be regular confusion. The result is your entire defensive unit becomes weakened and every single cross or set-piece becomes a nightmare.

This is what happened to Gomes (who was also a formidable shot-stopper) and it's what was starting to happen with De Gea, and it doesn't matter how many great saves you makes from direct shots as the general confusion that is introduced to the defensive unit is a far bigger problem.
  • Lamb 1 Oct 2012 17:38:51 474 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    De Gea n. a donut thief :p :D
  • Fozzie_bear 1 Oct 2012 17:40:21 15,500 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    It's actually more important in the PL to be the kind of keeper that bosses your area, than to be the kind of keeper who makes amazing saves.
    The two best keepers I can remember at Utd (Schmeichel and Van der Saar) both seemed to be repulsed to the point of being physically sick if they had to make saves. They consistently achieved much better results by calling their defenders cunts for the whole game.

De Gea's wonder saves just make him the Steven Gerrard of goalkeepers. looks flashy and great when it works, but the team's better off when he's on the bench.

• King_Edward 1 Oct 2012 17:40:39 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    What an odd player to use as a comparison. Or is it that De Gaea is generally very shit footballer but a hell of a sex fiend too?
    He's a doughnut thief. There's no limit to what that sort of villain is capable of.
  • kalel 1 Oct 2012 17:41:02 87,001 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Foz

Hah, so true. I remember the Dane in particular going utterly mental every time he had ot make he save. He'd be furious.

Edited by kalel at 17:41:48 01-10-2012
  • Deleted user 1 October 2012 17:41:27
    ecureuil wrote:
    Having to make wonder saves is often like defenders having to make last ditch tackles (like Gary Cahill). It's often because of poor positioning.

Making a wonder save isn't that goo when you then let on something that should be simple.
  • Fozzie_bear 1 Oct 2012 17:44:13 15,500 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    @ Foz

Hah, so true. I remember the Dane in particular going utterly mental every time he had ot make he save. He'd be furious.
    Can't see De Gea ever quite being that demanding. Which is why he'll never be a fraction of the player that the fat bacon muncher was.

• Deleted user 1 October 2012 17:44:51
    King_Edward wrote:
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    He's a doughnut thief. There's no limit to what that sort of villain is capable of.
    Hah, thought that was some sort of urban slang for a minute there until I googled up his misdemeanors :)
  • Page

of 5390 First / Last