The all-new Premier League thread Page 7341

• Page

of 7355 First / Last

• QotSAfan 13 Oct 2017 12:10:17 2,185 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    Bale has been a success at Madrid. Calling it a disaster is laughable, LAUGHABLE.
    I don't think it is. If you were asked who is the best player to move to Madrid from Spurs in the last fifteen years, your answer would be Modric. Bale has just been too injured to be integral to Madrid and he hasn't pushed on and established himself as one of the best players in the world because of that. Considering the expectations on him, it has been a disaster. He'd be a star at United but he's not essential to Madrid, I think that says a lot about him. He's on the same level as Sanchez. Great player but amongst many other great players. Not even close to Neymar who was in a similar position to him.
  • RelaxedMikki 13 Oct 2017 12:10:20 2,149 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am pretty sure Bale also has just about enough Spanish to say his name, his age, ask where the toilets are and order a beer.

That means he is also one of the most cultured and urbane of the British footballing exports.

(Also means he can hold a conversation in Spanish about as well as Carlos Tevez)

EDIT: fu#ked up my English in a post criticising other people's langauge skills 😜

Edited by RelaxedMikki at 12:13:21 13-10-2017
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Oct 2017 12:17:19 9,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think people should stop using the word 'disaster'. It's quite clearly not the right word to be using.

If 'disaster' is on one end of the scale, and 'un-mitigated phenomenal success' is at the other, Bale's Madrid career (so far) sits comfortably somewhere in the upper half.
  • Dgzter 13 Oct 2017 12:28:41 1,493 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It just sounds like mean-spirited hyperbole to me: he's enjoyed great success there, with a few personal accolades that I'm sure he'll cherish.

Could more have happened in terms of establishing himself, individually, as one of the best players in the world? Perhaps. But that's at the entirely other end of the spectrum from him being a failure, or his time there a 'disaster'.

It's utter nonsense, in other words.
  • H1ggyLTD 13 Oct 2017 12:34:58 7,498 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He's been a huge success there, clearly.
  • Jyzzy-Z 13 Oct 2017 13:14:51 2,159 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If he was anywhere near a failure then they would have got rid of him. They're pretty ruthless.
  • RelaxedMikki 13 Oct 2017 13:26:48 2,149 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That top-knot tho.
    That's an unmitigated disaster.
  • Negan 13 Oct 2017 13:44:09 232 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Hiding his massive bald spot.
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Oct 2017 13:46:46 232 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    Klopp is a legend....

On the fitness of Roberto Firmino and Philippe Coutinho after their trips away with Brazil: “Both had a long flight although I imagine it was pretty comfortable when I saw the price!”
  • Syrette 13 Oct 2017 13:53:10 49,116 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Sky are really milking the Liverpool-Man Utd game to within an inch of its life, aren't they?
  • Syrette 13 Oct 2017 13:54:28 49,116 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Really? I think he'll be pretty happy with three CL titles (and one La Liga), and scoring the winning goal in the 'Le Decima'. And 56 goals in 105 games isn't to be sneezed at.

He was always going to be in Ronaldo's shadow but I don't that's a disaster, or even close. I'd say that's pretty damn successful frankly.
    Spot on, especially as he's had his spells out.
  • Dougs 13 Oct 2017 13:56:20 83,515 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Sky are really milking the Liverpool-Man Utd game to within an inch of its life, aren't they?
    They did this last year, and then the pair of them churned out one of the worst games I've ever seen. And I watched a lot of Arsenal in the early 80s. :-/
  • superbob85 13 Oct 2017 13:58:02 7,853 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Liverpool v Man Utd is big but nowhere near what sky are building it up to be.
  • askew 13 Oct 2017 14:14:33 15,431 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's a Mourinho Big Game™.
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Oct 2017 14:39:27 16,917 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:.
    Bale? Not sure what to make of his Madrid exploits. A disaster? Pretty close.
    Really? I think he'll be pretty happy with three CL titles (and one La Liga), and scoring the winning goal in the 'Le Decima'. And 56 goals in 105 games isn't to be sneezed at.

He was always going to be in Ronaldo's shadow but I don't that's a disaster, or even close. I'd say that's pretty damn successful frankly.
    My question was in regards to Madrid's perspective and expectations.
    I'm sure Bale himself would consider it a success. The last few years in particular, under Zidane, has been one of their best in recent years.

As is always the case, the context is always the amount of money paid for him (at the time) and the expectations set for him, and if he had achieved.

I mean, if that's the case, then Ozil saga was never the failure set out to be. In his time after many years no of trophy, brought us 3 FA Cups in 4 years.
    But ofcourse the questions of whether he is a success is within the context of the price and the expectations set of him.
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Oct 2017 14:40:04 16,917 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Okay disaster is an exaggeration on my part, but I think he's fallen well short of his expectations.
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Oct 2017 14:44:57 16,917 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    QotSAfan wrote:
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    Bale has been a success at Madrid. Calling it a disaster is laughable, LAUGHABLE.
    I don't think it is. If you were asked who is the best player to move to Madrid from Spurs in the last fifteen years, your answer would be Modric. Bale has just been too injured to be integral to Madrid and he hasn't pushed on and established himself as one of the best players in the world because of that. Considering the expectations on him, it has been a disaster. He'd be a star at United but he's not essential to Madrid, I think that says a lot about him. He's on the same level as Sanchez. Great player but amongst many other great players. Not even close to Neymar who was in a similar position to him.
    This is kinda my thinking, particularly the comparison to Neymar.
    Both were bought with the expectancy's of either playing alongside their demigod counterparts and match or to one day replace.

Neymar, whilst forever being in Messi's shadow, certainly increased his standing as one of the best in the world. And the case was that, if not for Messi, he would be the jewel in Bara's crown.

The same can't be said for Bale. Without Ronaldo he still isn't considered in the same bracket is Neymar.

I don't think their club accolades changes that. Otherwise there are many flops attributed to Chelsea and United purchases, of which a finger point to their trophy cabinet would say they weren't flops.
  • Humperfunk 13 Oct 2017 15:20:02 6,890 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    "Disaster", what the fuck.
  • SolidSCB 13 Oct 2017 15:53:57 9,893 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's only really the last year it's soured, purely because he's starting to break down a bit. That he's had the level of success he's had playing alongside Ronaldo is phenomenal tbh, that whole team is built around feeding the guy. I don't really think it's anything like playing alongside Messi, who's as much a creator as he is a goalscorer. If anything he's brought the likes of Suarez and Neymar up a level, rather than putting them in the shade.
  • Trowel 13 Oct 2017 16:32:07 21,588 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Okay disaster is an exaggeration on my part, but I think he's fallen well short of his expectations.
    Bale has opened up about how Madrid president Florentino Perez told him he was signing him in order to help the club win their 10th European Cup, which he did.

"I remember being brought in and the president saying to me that he's bringing me in to win the tenth Champions League," he said.

"A big reason for me coming to Real Madrid was to play Champions League football and to win the Champions League. To do it in my first season was very special.

"The scenes after winning were amazing, coming back to Madrid with all the fans around [the Plaza de] Cibeles. It was just an amazing experience, one I will never forget."
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/13822/news/2016/04/11/22252842/bale-ive-coped-well-with-real-madrids-lofty-expectations
  • Huggybear 13 Oct 2017 17:08:44 1,378 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Part of the problem is the way Real plays -and the way their opponents play against them- just doesn't suit Bale.

Bale needs space to run into, and it's usually just not there. When they have it, like recently against Dortmund, Bale can shine.

And when people mention the CL final, let's not forget that Bale got all of Real's best chances during normal time and wasted them (you could tell he was trying too hard to win the game himself), and the winning goal was 85% Di Maria (who had to go through three defenders on his own) and Bale's contribution was just to have the stamina to make the run to the back post to put in the rebound.

He's been ok, but nowhere near as good as the "most expensive player in the world" should have been.
  • SolidSCB 13 Oct 2017 19:43:09 9,893 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be fair you can level the exact same sort of criticism at Pogba, though. Real paid what they had to at the time and got a player that has unquestionably helped them towards some of the success they've had over the last few years.
  • superbob85 14 Oct 2017 11:11:32 7,853 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Surely Jose will be more adventurous at anfield than he was last season.
  • H1ggyLTD 14 Oct 2017 11:15:43 7,498 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You can see why some fans are never happy with signings if Bale has been anything ranging from disastrous-to-just-ok at Real.

Bonkers few pages of what is typically a thread of bad opinions as it is.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Oct 2017 11:24:43 10,298 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I thought it was a thread of you crying about Liverpool.
  • H1ggyLTD 14 Oct 2017 11:25:35 7,498 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    yeh lol
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Oct 2017 12:49:14 9,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why wasn’t Salah booked for diving there? Such an inconsistent rule.
  • LionheartDJH 14 Oct 2017 13:18:31 19,776 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why wasn’t Salah booked for diving there? Such an inconsistent rule.
    Quite.

Also why is Lukaku still on the pitch.
  • H1ggyLTD 14 Oct 2017 13:19:20 7,498 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Because there was nothing in the second one.
  • Negan 14 Oct 2017 13:24:00 232 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Yeah that was just an accident.
  • Page

of 7355 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.