The all-new Premier League thread Page 7339

• Page

of 7355 First / Last

• HarryPalmer 6 Oct 2017 09:20:17 5,209 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @RelaxedMikki Nice one! Never heard of him, quite interesting.
  • Dougs 6 Oct 2017 09:20:47 83,515 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    How did Line-Aker get on? Who else was there at the time? Butragueno?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Oct 2017 09:24:57 9,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Linekar scored a shit load in his first season at Barca. Not quite top in the league though.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Oct 2017 09:25:33 9,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lol. That wasn't in response to Dougs.
  • the_milkybar_kid 6 Oct 2017 09:27:25 5,915 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Haven't cared about England since about the turn of the century. Was pretty clear the way it was going. And here we are...

I was hoping Southgate would be the one to reignite some character and mental steel in the useless bags of wank, was even glad when Alladyce was appointed. Even if it was the bottom of the barrel. But it's clear he's just a younger Hodgson that will do anything to please the FA. Completely fucking beige.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 09:28:20 06-10-2017
  • Dougs 6 Oct 2017 09:27:42 83,515 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    :) I seem to remember seeing clips of him and his broken wrist wheeling away lots, so figured he must have scored a few!
  • Youthist 6 Oct 2017 09:37:46 12,823 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Linekar scored a shit load in his first season at Barca. Not quite top in the league though.
    I recall they then started playing him on the wing! (I think after Venables left?)
  • Negan 6 Oct 2017 09:58:10 232 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    I was hoping Southgate would be the one to reignite some character and mental steel in the useless bags of wank.
    You did know who Gareth Southgate was, right?
  • the_milkybar_kid 6 Oct 2017 10:04:35 5,915 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Negan I know, I know. But there was that glint of hope (fuck knows why). He seemed to do a decent enough up with the under 21's.
  • the_milkybar_kid 6 Oct 2017 11:17:35 5,915 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Reacher wrote:
    @the_milkybar_kid It's not really the clubs that will suffer, it's the fans that attend the game.
    Only just seen this, notifications are weird.

At the end of the day, the clubs will have agreed to the terms, whatever Sky laid out on the table. If games end up being on Christmas Eve, the clubs are just as culpable. Fans should have a good hard look at themselves if they wish to support that by paying the money and attending, and the ones that do I have no sympathy for.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Oct 2017 12:30:41 9,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    I recall they then started playing him on the wing! (I think after Venables left?)
    Yeah Cruyff wasn't such a fan.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Oct 2017 16:06:59 4,242 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Shelvey has broken his hand separating a training ground bust up between Lascelles and Diame

Great to see some traditions coming back after years of Ashley soullessness
  • superbob85 7 Oct 2017 16:26:01 7,853 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Christmas Eve football is what you have when you sell your soul to sky.
  • DakeyrasUK 7 Oct 2017 17:01:30 1,121 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wait so people are okay with football on boxing day, a bank holiday most have off work, but football on xmas eve is not ok?

Boxing ďay is a hundred times more a day to spend with family than xmas eve is. Xmas eve is a day lots work on and mates meet in the pub and strangers will great eachother warmly etc. No harm in the pub being replaced with a football ground imo.
  • FWB 7 Oct 2017 18:48:28 53,923 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Christmas Eve is my Xmas... But then I'm a filthy European. Maybe a point is being made here in New Britain.
  • Dougs 7 Oct 2017 18:48:41 83,515 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not when you've got kids it's not. And it's not just the family thing, it's travel too, with most services, even the tube, winding down early. Some people just won't be able to get back... Fans or staff.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 7 Oct 2017 18:51:44 9,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Shelvey has broken his hand separating a training ground bust up between Lascelles and Diame

Great to see some traditions coming back after years of Ashley soullessness
    I'm hoping it got stamped on.
  • reddevil93 8 Oct 2017 09:45:57 13,745 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fellaini with possible knee ligament damage. Now that would be a huge blow with the confidence he’s playing with and Pogba out for another month.

Edit: Couple weeks out. So hopefully back for Spurs.

Edited by reddevil93 at 11:04:38 08-10-2017
  • DakeyrasUK 8 Oct 2017 20:01:36 1,121 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Travel is one thing, as long as the games aren't an evening kick off and finish by 6pm there shouldnt be an issue.

If you need a 3hr journey perhaps it is ok to give the game a skip so you can be at home for xmas...

Still though, not addressing why boxing day (a bank holiday so clearly a better day for family time) is ok but xmas eve is not.
  • Dougs 8 Oct 2017 21:04:14 83,515 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think you underestimate the average travel time for most Arsenal fans, let alone the scousers. Most live in the home counties and beyond, far cry from a quick walk or bus ride back home. Even if services are running till 8 or so, it's Christmas Eve! It's a mad proposition.

Edit: as for why boxing day is better, most people are relieved to get a bit of space back then!

Edited by Dougs at 21:06:21 08-10-2017
  • THFourteen 8 Oct 2017 21:20:03 45,818 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DakeyrasUK wrote:
    Xmas eve is a day lots work on and mates meet in the pub and strangers will great eachother warmly etc. No harm in the pub being replaced with a football ground imo.
    If it was a work day.... it's a Sunday so most of us would be at home with family. What you're talking about then is a 5 hour round trip (for me) during the middle of the day to watch football.

No way I'm leaving my wife and kids at home on Christmas Eve. Not to mention her parents will be round. Going out after 7 or 8 on xmas eve would be fine but that's not what we are talking about here.

Boxing Day is different, the "joy" of Christmas is over and can justify it.
  • Youthist 8 Oct 2017 21:27:59 12,823 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Fellaini with possible knee ligament damage. Now that would be a huge blow with the confidence he’s playing with and Pogba out for another month.

Edit: Couple weeks out. So hopefully back for Spurs.
    Yeah fingers crossed Fellaini recovers from his injury asap (says no one on the planet)
  • LittleSparra 9 Oct 2017 16:29:47 6,786 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Neville Southall doing... something

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/09/neville-southall-attacks-tories-surreal-skeleton-tweets
  • DreadedWalrus 9 Oct 2017 17:44:17 1,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Harry Kane is among the players nominated for the Balloon Door.

I mean, he won't win it, but still! This is the first time an English player has been nominated for the award since... well, Jamie Vardy last year, but still!

Genuinely though, even getting nominated for the award is a great recognition, and while he's not "young", he's still got the bulk of his career ahead of him, so maybe he'll actually have a chance of winning it by the time Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi have retired.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 10 Oct 2017 12:23:53 9,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So Overmars has been confirmed as joining Arsenal as DoF.

Would think it's extremely likely that Bergkamp will also join in some sort of coaching/AM type role, and possibly even as Wenger's replacement.
  • THFourteen 10 Oct 2017 12:25:46 45,818 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll be the first to admit i don't know much about Overmars' career post being a player, but at least knowing he's played the game gives me a bit of confidence that we are trying to get a few more "football" folks in at senior level.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 10 Oct 2017 12:36:49 9,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think I suggested years back that Arsenal could do a lot worse than stealing Ajax's entire management team. Obviously De Boer has now left and fucked his career up since then, but the basic idea is still a good one.
  • opalw00t 10 Oct 2017 13:27:33 12,793 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @THFourteen Overmars has been Ajax's DoF for the last 5 years.
  • Dougs 10 Oct 2017 13:55:00 83,515 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So Overmars has been confirmed as joining Arsenal as DoF.

Would think it's extremely likely that Bergkamp will also join in some sort of coaching/AM type role, and possibly even as Wenger's replacement.
    Has it been confirmed though? It's just a rumour from an Italian website with a slightly iffy track record of being right. It's probably likely to happen but it's a way off yet.

As for Bergkamp, until he starts drinking milk to get on that plane, I can't see him being a manager. Or even AM.
  • Page

of 7355 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.