The all-new Premier League thread Page 7338

  • Page

    of 7357 First / Last

  • The-Bodybuilder 5 Oct 2017 15:56:37 16,918 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "It's one of the most pointless things to debate"

    Much like 90% of all the discussions here tbh. Yet here we are. :D
  • You-can-call-me-kal 5 Oct 2017 15:58:31 9,830 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :cool:
  • The-Bodybuilder 5 Oct 2017 16:02:20 16,918 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    If I was looking at it from the point of view of a non-Spurs fan I would say the same. It's obviously highly unusual for players like that to stay at one club, especially if that one club isn't at the top of the tree.

    But I'm also aware that when the shoe's been on the other foot and I've been telling fans of other clubs how they're definitely going to lose their star player, I know it's partly because I'm willing it to happen...

    Gerrard isn't the only close parallel. You have people like Totti who has only a single title in his whole career and could have done far far better. Matt Le Tissier is a great example. Shearer obviously won stuff at Blackburn, but spent the best years of his career at his home club where he won nothing despite being constantly chased by Fergie. And our own Ledley King who could have played anywhere (although admittedly his injuries probably somewhat made the decision for him). All won next to nothing and could have done far better elsewhere, both in terms of money and trophies.

    And yeah, these are unbelievably exceptional which doesn't help my case, but they all share the same unique combination of circumstances which Kane also has. And that's the reason I think he'll stay. I don't believe the same about Alli, Rose, Eriksen or a single other one of our players. Just him, for those quite specific reasons.

    Anyway, it's one of the most pointless things to debate, and as I suspect he's not going anywhere for a long time if he does ever leave, we no doubt have many more years of this discussion to come.
    Ofcourse. There is as much wishful thinking from opposing fans for him to leave as there is from any Spurs fans that convinces themselves he'll stay.

    I think the point with all those examples is that none of them are recent. Would Totti has stayed in today's age if PSG came running to him with 300k and his agent whispering sweet nothing into their ear? Who knows.

    Same with all the others. The fact it's proving almost impossible to think of recent examples kinda makes the point.

    I do think for some players, they get to a stage where they are content, due to other factors. For instance, unless he gets pushed out or injuries destroy him, I'm pretty convinced of Koscielny staying more than any other player. Not just because of some undying love for Arsenal, but because he and his family are settled in London.

    There's also the risk that, Kane may in fact want to stay, but if someone comes with some ridiculous Neymar-esque money, that Levy won't be tempted to take it. And who can blame him.

    Anyways, it's the interlull, this is the time to have pointless discussions.
  • The-Bodybuilder 5 Oct 2017 16:04:05 16,918 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And yes, I hate the fact that Kane turned to go from some purple patch, to just living in the world of purple. Can't bloody wait till he leaves.

    It's almost like Heath Ledger's Joker. You lost hope in humanity and just interested in seeing the levels of how far you can test people's resolve.

    I want to see how deep is Kane's love for Spurs, for my own amusement.
  • THFourteen 5 Oct 2017 16:08:30 45,842 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    "It's one of the most pointless things to debate"

    Much like 90% of all the discussions here tbh. Yet here we are. :D
    That's basically any football debate. Its ultimately pointless because it has 0 impact.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 5 Oct 2017 16:12:13 9,830 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the money thing is relative. You guys were paying Sol Campbell £100k (which is still a reasonably high salary by today's standards) nearly 20 years ago, and I'm sure Shearer would have got similar if he'd chosen to move to United from Newcastle. There's always been stupid wages for special players.

    I do worry about there being a price where Levy won't able to say no though. That's certainly a factor when you consider one homegrown player could pay for a third of a new stadium. I think he's learnt the hard way what a mistake that can be though.
  • Dougs 5 Oct 2017 16:43:23 83,530 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    £200m would be very hard to turn down, regardless of impact on the team, I think. As you say, with a stadium to pay for...which is meant to set you up for 100 years plus. It's a difficult proposition to turn down.
  • THFourteen 5 Oct 2017 16:53:51 45,842 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Think how many Soldados you could buy with £200m
  • THFourteen 5 Oct 2017 16:54:33 45,842 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyway its madness to put Kane in the Neymar bracket. He's fookin shite
  • Dougs 5 Oct 2017 16:55:54 83,530 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ha, only just realised that the England game was today.
  • SolidSCB 5 Oct 2017 19:19:57 9,894 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tbh I've always seen Kane spending his entire career at Spurs. I can totally see the Le Tiss/Totti parallels there. I'd be really surprised if he ever went anywhere else.
  • cjb_bjc 5 Oct 2017 20:23:17 1,864 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why do I ever expect any different when watching England, they really are atrocious!
  • THFourteen 5 Oct 2017 20:23:46 45,842 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just turned on did i miss anything
  • Frogofdoom 5 Oct 2017 20:30:16 5,971 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The opportunity to do something fun with your evening?
  • Dougs 5 Oct 2017 20:35:16 83,530 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I lasted about 30 mins
  • pk1980 5 Oct 2017 20:40:46 781 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Anyway its madness to put Kane in the Neymar bracket. He's fookin shite
    He is far better obviously.
  • pk1980 5 Oct 2017 20:41:26 781 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Ha, only just realised that the England game was today.
    Getting the met line to Wembley this evening reminded me.
  • robc84 5 Oct 2017 20:59:34 11,802 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is bad even by England standards.
  • DreadedWalrus 5 Oct 2017 21:32:36 1,533 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pulis is taking notes on how to effortlessly achieve a 0-0 draw, but also wondering if he'll be able to pull it off with a team that isn't valued at hundreds of millions of pounds.
  • cjb_bjc 5 Oct 2017 21:56:13 1,864 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well that was fortunate
  • Youthist 5 Oct 2017 22:08:33 12,830 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cjb_bjc wrote:
    Well that was fortunate
    Not sure about that
  • Negan 5 Oct 2017 23:27:08 234 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I've long given up on watching England, but it makes me feel guilty that I have. I just can't force myself through it anymore because it just gets me so angry.

    Even reading about tonight's game makes me want to snap my phone in half.
  • creepiest-lizard 6 Oct 2017 08:11:20 493 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I still say we made him the player he is.
    This is kane and Millwall I'm talking about sisters and brothers
  • RelaxedMikki 6 Oct 2017 08:56:00 2,154 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    South American qualifying is extra loco this year.

    Last round of games are on Tuesday, with Chile, Columbia, Peru, Argentina and Paraguay all sperated by just 2 points.

    It's going to get messy.
  • HarryPalmer 6 Oct 2017 09:03:07 5,218 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    don't you mean MESSI??????

    I hope Kane moves on at some point, not just to spite spurs, but to see if he can perform abroad. I'd love to see a British player as top scorer in a big foreign league - has that actually ever happened?

    Edited by HarryPalmer at 09:03:19 06-10-2017
  • THFourteen 6 Oct 2017 09:07:44 45,842 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you can't score at least 20 goals a season in La Liga then you're pretty shite.
  • THFourteen 6 Oct 2017 09:11:33 45,842 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    David Platt scored 17 goals in 55 games from midfield in a REAL league.
  • superbob85 6 Oct 2017 09:13:32 7,872 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Stage is set for Messi to fire the argies into the world cup after a disastrous qualifying campaign.
  • RelaxedMikki 6 Oct 2017 09:15:30 2,154 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @HarryPalmer

    John Charles, for one.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Charles

    28 goals for Juve in his first season in Serie A. Won the scudetto three times. Juve fans voted him their best ever non-Italian player.

    Edited by RelaxedMikki at 09:20:14 06-10-2017
  • HarryPalmer 6 Oct 2017 09:20:13 5,218 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @RelaxedMikki Nice one! Never heard of him, quite interesting.
  • Page

    of 7357 First / Last

Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.