The all-new Premier League thread Page 5326

• Page

of 5540 First / Last

• SolidSCB 20 Aug 2014 15:13:14 6,874 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I doubt it, if our recent transfer activity is anything to go by we'd have probably called a fucking press conference to say we're preparing a bid.
  • PES_Fanboy 20 Aug 2014 15:13:36 16,961 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I always have a mental image of Wenger reviewing player wages like my stepdad when he comes to visit and traipses around the posh shite shops in Brighton with me ma: turning over price tags and quietly going "Faaaackin ell!", and leaving with nothing
  • ElNuevo9 20 Aug 2014 15:30:31 13,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    I doubt it, if our recent transfer activity is anything to go by we'd have probably called a fucking press conference to say we're preparing a bid.

We've 'prepped' the living fuck out of hundereds of bids the past 12 months.

Miguel Delany did a good piece on United's summer activity. Basically said that Herrera and Shaw were wrapped up by March and that van Gaal gave the nod to complete them. Since he's come, we've taken 6 weeks to complete one fucking defender. Vermaelen also had agreed to join us when LvG joined - he'd agreed to the move but a bid never came, then Barca came along.

Shambolic.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• karlo87 20 Aug 2014 15:48:14 1,602 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    I do love the girls on Sky Sports news:
    https://vine.co/v/MLB1lYEIxTa
    She always came across as a bit of a minx

Damn that sorcerer! Twenty gold pieces and Iím wankered on Rohypnol.

• Shikasama 20 Aug 2014 16:34:21 6,952 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Didn't LVG cancel a deal for Kroos or was that paper bollocks?
  • nickthegun 20 Aug 2014 16:50:45 60,397 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You would like to think its paper nonsense. He may not be his cup of tea, but they clearly need warm bodies.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• kentmonkey 20 Aug 2014 16:55:27 20,759 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    Vermaelen also had agreed to join us when LvG joined - he'd agreed to the move but a bid never came, then Barca came along.

Shambolic.
    This isn't what happened though.

He may have stated he preferred to join you, but no fee had been agreed with Arsenal. We didn't really want to sell to Utd, and wanted him to move overseas. The offer you made was more than we finally accepted from Barca, but we chose to try and make it worth our while if he was going to Utd, and asked for a player on top. I assume in a 'this will make them go away, and if not we're fucking laughing with that amount of money and a player on top' style of negotiation.

Verms did not prefer Barca, for once we actually managed a transfer situation positively for the club. It helped that there was at least another bidder this time.

Utd may have failed miserably with other bids, I don't know about those, but with Vermaelen you can't really say they failed. The only area they probably did fail with is keep trying to get him, when we made it clear we preferred him going abroad. But then with the past success Utd have had (including RVP) in there 'fuck you, we'll get him anyway' I can kind of understand the arrogance still being there.
  • ElNuevo9 20 Aug 2014 17:22:19 13,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ahh, fair play then. Delaney is usually pretty clued up when it comes to United.

Either way, after making so much noise about how there would be no repeat of last summers fiasco, we've done out utmost to not only equal it, but also raise it.

Said it at the time, but Ferguson and Gill going at the same time was a catastrophe. We've rectified the Moyes cluster fuck, but Woodward is a walking disaster. It's all well and good him able to get us a new Bulgarian cabbage sponsor, but he's demonstrated that he has fuck all knowledge of negotiating the minefield of other clubs and agents. Never thought I'd say this, but a director of football might do us some good.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• oceanmotion 20 Aug 2014 17:33:49 16,001 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It doesn't seem that different to Fergie and Gill. Big, average, shite signings and missing out on many top players.

I can only think Man U are cheap in some way like wages, agent fees, installments or players would rather not play there.
  • Kichijoten 20 Aug 2014 17:43:29 1,578 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Anything more heard on the do maria front? Quality player but yes united need all whole new defensive team.
  • faux-C 20 Aug 2014 17:47:06 9,439 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So what would be worse for Utd fans, going for a load of top signings and getting rejected by them all, or not going for any top signings at all?
  • Aargh, 20 Aug 2014 18:19:25 292 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Maybe these players don't want to play for Utd like they used to. Not many of these sorts of players aspire to play for a top 6 team with no European competitions to play for.

Operating systems complete me

• Trowel 20 Aug 2014 18:20:28 17,898 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Top 7 team.
  • FWB 20 Aug 2014 18:24:25 44,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aye, top 6 would give you a European spot. Ahem.

I don't really have much against Utd, aside from their glory hunting fans. Maybe ten years of mid table will trim the fat. However, as they are in direct competition with us now table wise, I hope they get sod all.

Edited by FWB at 18:26:56 20-08-2014
  • Aargh, 20 Aug 2014 18:55:31 292 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Nah, they'll get one place higher this year now they have an amazing manager.

Still not in Europe though.

Operating systems complete me

• faux-C 20 Aug 2014 19:04:21 9,439 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I *really* hope we sign Balotelli. We need a controversial weirdo upfront.
  • faux-C 20 Aug 2014 19:09:25 9,439 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
  • MrFlay 20 Aug 2014 19:19:37 956 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    He's never bit anyone. How bad could he be?

Seriously he has everything to be a world-class player except for the attitude.
  • customfirmware 20 Aug 2014 19:48:22 816 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    Yeah, it's madness but he clearly needed a change of surroundings. Nothing surprises me with United post Ferguson.

Again, going to have to disagree with CL being a massive hindrance in acquiring top l calibre players. Sure, it may be a factor for a few, but City, Anzhi, PSG and Monaco have proved that if you throw enough money at players then they'll come. Liverpool couldn't offer anywhere near what United can offer wage wise.

Nani being on £100k being a case in point.
    Difference is city owners are willing to make a massive loss on their investment, don't think the glazers are stupid enough to just pump money into the club that isn't going to see them make a profit or even break even. remember united have a massive debt that's still eating money out of the club and with the champions league money taken out aswell I think you guys have to take that into consideration when it comes to spending. As fans we look at it from a emotional point of view but the men behind the clubs have to look at it from a financial point of view. I notice that's what most Americans owners are like and they will only put money into the club when they can get it back.

Although united have money the players that you guys are targeting want to be playing in Europe, even if you guys had Europa league I think it would make your bargaining process much easier, it's only us in England that don't rate or look down on it. Trust me I see a narrow image of what united are going through now and what we went through with hicks and gillet and the repurcusion of not being in the champions league.

Regarding clubs like city,Chelsea,Psg etc I think all of them are doing some dodgy money laundering that is being covered by football. You just have to take the lampard deal as an example of how they operate as business owners. Even david luiz deal seems fishy.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 20 Aug 2014 20:16:16 9,925 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do any Utd fans here read the Red Issue fanzine? They're usually quite reliable on ITK stuff. They tweeted about Woodward being at home all day recently waiting for a broadband engineer :D
  • askew 20 Aug 2014 20:26:28 12,410 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    Do any Utd fans here read the Red Issue fanzine? They're usually quite reliable on ITK stuff. They tweeted about Woodward being at home all day recently waiting for a broadband engineer :D
    Is that like the cryptic ITK Kal was on about the other day? A player with the initials BT? BaloTelli?
  • mester_dave 20 Aug 2014 20:32:32 9 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    HEck, i would take Balotelli in a flash! even better if we send hernandez the other way for a year while we still pay his wages.

either way im tired of watching hernandez tackle himself while running
  • MrFlay 20 Aug 2014 20:34:15 956 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Do United have some philosophical problem with the concept of a centre midfielder? They seem to have some difficulties buying them.
  • jablonski 20 Aug 2014 20:40:43 4,343 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd take Hernandez In a heartbeat. Better than that shitlips Rooney
  • Bubsy64 20 Aug 2014 21:23:53 44 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Finishing outside of the top 4 will impact the Adidas deal, being stingy shouldn't even make sense short term if you're a Glazer.
  • President_Weasel 20 Aug 2014 21:24:55 9,450 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrFlay wrote:
    Do United have some philosophical problem with the concept of a centre midfielder? They seem to have some difficulties buying them.
    Well to be fair there are very few genuinely top class centre midfielders and err um United decided not to bid on any of the unusually high number that were recently available, I guess? Or Vermaelen for some reason, despite him looking like a useful buy.

To be equally fair those leprechaun guys bought the club with its own money thus plunging it into debt, and their shopping mall business is in trouble because nobody really goes to shopping malls, and so they can make all the war chest noises they like, there's no fucking money.
  • faux-C 20 Aug 2014 22:35:18 9,439 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Oh yes.

• Bremenacht 20 Aug 2014 22:49:23 18,678 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    We've rectified the Moyes cluster fuck
    I really don't think you have. You have a number of problems of which Moyes was just one - perhaps even the least of them. If everything else isn't fixed, then LvG will go the same way as Moyes, perhaps of his own accord, perhaps through noisy fans and perhaps in less time than Moyes.
  • MrFlay 20 Aug 2014 22:50:33 956 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think he's probably worth the gamble. Rodgers has a good track-record so far with young players like Sterling, Sturridge and Henderson. All of whom are angels compared to Mario though. He's a real Moneyball signing and presumably coming from Italy his wages would be much lower than Falcao, Cavani or other unattainable targets. If we can sell Borini for £14m and get Balotelli for less than £20m, then that would be great business.
  • FWB 20 Aug 2014 22:50:43 44,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's also only been one game. We'll see.
  • Page

of 5540 First / Last