The all-new Premier League thread Page 5205

• Page

of 5246 First / Last

• Syrette 7 Jul 2014 18:24:18 43,058 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Dougs

What's your ITKlol saying about the fee?

Since that's the only thing I really care about at this juncture.

Not that we'll reinvest the money to its fullest extent.

• Shikasama 7 Jul 2014 19:19:10 6,600 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    The problem is, they cant really afford to take a season to bed in. They need to hit the ground running because LVG will have united challenging for the top four and you can guarantee arsenal will be there or there abouts.
    I've said it many times before, but there really is no urgency in football. There always feels like there is, and this season is now or never, but somehow the next season always comes along and the situation is more or less the same it was a year ago.
    It's true that. It's why every season is called a 'transitional season' because everyone is always building which means everyone generally stays in the same place.
  • Dougs 7 Jul 2014 19:20:59 66,588 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    @Dougs

Not seen him mention a fee, but 11m seems to be the figure kicking around
  • superbob85 7 Jul 2014 19:46:09 1,730 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    12 million is the fee ive heard still unsure about him to be honest.
  • Jono62 7 Jul 2014 19:52:58 13,951 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.footyheadlines.com/2014/02/2014-15-kit-overview-leaked-14-15-kits.html
  • superbob85 7 Jul 2014 20:04:36 1,730 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Still feels weird seeing puma make arsenal shirts. Never thought much of their kits.
  • Syrette 7 Jul 2014 20:16:16 43,058 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    @Dougs

Not seen him mention a fee, but 11m seems to be the figure kicking around
    Would be happy with that for a 29 year old tbh.

Whether Pardew would replace him properly is another matter.

• Syrette 7 Jul 2014 20:20:36 43,058 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can't believe Puma are even using templates for Arsenal

• faux_carnation 7 Jul 2014 20:42:01 9,039 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    I'm not very sure about Liverpool's transfers this summer. I've said it before, but they just don't seem like the kind of transfers the team who narrowly missed out on the title should be making. Lambert, Lallana and Can are most likely fine players, but you know.
    Last season was a one-off, we won't be challenging for the league again. We're trying to build a top 4 squad that can compete in the Champions League.
  • stevethemeat 7 Jul 2014 20:58:21 392 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Liverpool Echo have reported on Twitter that LFC have given up in their pursuit of Sanchez and that it looks like he has decided to join arsenal.

Bit disappointing, he will be a cracking signing for the gunners, if they can keep key players like Ramsey fit they should be right in the mix next season.
  • Shikasama 7 Jul 2014 21:00:38 6,600 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's a bit like saying I've given up in my pursuit of Scarlet Johansson.
  • MrFlay 7 Jul 2014 21:14:25 543 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20140707/fc-barcelona/la-clausula-de-luis-suarez-es-de-94-6-millones-de-euros_54410824781.html

The fee is Ä95m which is about £75m. Not £63m.

Also none of Liverpool's spending so far including Markovic and Origi is dependent on the Suarez transfer. So it sounds as if will be bringing in at least one more player as we were clearly trying to sign Markovic and Sanchez.
  • Syrette 7 Jul 2014 21:19:08 43,058 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrFlay wrote:
    Also none of Liverpool's spending so far including Markovic and Origi is dependent on the Suarez transfer. So it sounds as if will be bringing in at least one more player as we were clearly trying to sign Markovic and Sanchez.
    Course it isn't.

• MrFlay 7 Jul 2014 21:21:11 543 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    https://twitter.com/BenSmithBBC/status/486215536003792896

A better source than bitter cyncism.
  • stevethemeat 7 Jul 2014 21:23:17 392 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Syrette In fairness to our owners they have spent a fair bit, when we sold Torres we bought Suarez and Carroll the same day, its not like we have a Muppet in charge like Mike Ashley.

Saying that, that muppet did manage to get £35m for Carroll:)

Edited by stevethemeat at 21:27:18 07-07-2014
  • White_Shadow 7 Jul 2014 21:27:15 2,536 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    @Dougs

Guardian is reporting £8m with the possibility of Joel Campbell in addition.
  • Shikasama 7 Jul 2014 22:06:09 6,600 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MrFlay wrote:
    https://twitter.com/BenSmithBBC/status/486215536003792896

A better source than bitter cyncism.
    Aye, journalists never just spout random shit to appeal to massive fanbases in the pursuit of clicks and exposure.

Not sports journalists.
  • TheSaint 7 Jul 2014 22:19:32 14,198 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think we are all a bit guilty of giving credence to journalists who print what we want to hear.
  • Dougs 7 Jul 2014 22:28:20 66,588 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    True that.

This Campbell thing is weird, it's the first time I've seen it mentioned though. Wenger clearly doesn't 100% Trust him. But I'd still be surprised if he left without being given a chance. Another loan might be an option I guess.
  • karlo87 7 Jul 2014 22:29:32 1,257 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Markovic is nice but for the love of christ get some full backs in

Damn that sorcerer! Twenty gold pieces and Iím wankered on Rohypnol.

• nickthegun 7 Jul 2014 22:35:48 58,782 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    The problem is, they cant really afford to take a season to bed in. They need to hit the ground running because LVG will have united challenging for the top four and you can guarantee arsenal will be there or there abouts.
    I've said it many times before, but there really is no urgency in football. There always feels like there is, and this season is now or never, but somehow the next season always comes along and the situation is more or less the same it was a year ago.
    It's true that. It's why every season is called a 'transitional season' because everyone is always building which means everyone generally stays in the same place.
    Well, I suppose it depends on what your targets are. Success breeds success and, as has been seen, once you drop out of the very top level its tough to get back in.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• SuperCoolEskimo 7 Jul 2014 22:37:49 9,705 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bebe scored more goals than Markovic in the Portuguese league last season, playing for a team that just about avoided relegation.
  • kentmonkey 7 Jul 2014 23:19:31 20,413 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    True that.

This Campbell thing is weird, it's the first time I've seen it mentioned though. Wenger clearly doesn't 100% Trust him. But I'd still be surprised if he left without being given a chance. Another loan might be an option I guess.
    It'll just be £1.5m-£2m off the price to be loaned Campbell for the season.
  • kalel 8 Jul 2014 06:24:42 86,240 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Well, I suppose it depends on what your targets are. Success breeds success and, as has been seen, once you drop out of the very top level its tough to get back in.
    Yes and no. Chelsea had no problem getting back in. Man U won't have too much trouble. All Liverpool needed was new owners with money and a manager who wasn't senile.

Success does breed success, but money is by far and away the most important factor. You get the odd anomaly like Everton but the top six or so is pretty much the six richest clubs in the country year after year. Success has a relationship with money of course, and that's how Spurs have been trying to nudge ahead, but we seem to have finally realised the stadium has to come first and then you can focus on getting into the CL every year. Doing it the other way round has proved basically impossible, especially with clubs on "infinite money cheats turned on".
  • Dougs 8 Jul 2014 06:51:31 66,588 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Indeed. Hats off to Wenger, Fitzman and Dein to a lesser extent. Fucking hard work getting there mind.
  • Widge Moderator 8 Jul 2014 09:44:13 13,243 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    I'm not very sure about Liverpool's transfers this summer. I've said it before, but they just don't seem like the kind of transfers the team who narrowly missed out on the title should be making. Lambert, Lallana and Can are most likely fine players, but you know.

At least when Spurs were doing a big reshuffle last season they were exciting names. Then again, none of them exactly set the heather alight last season (well, Eriksen kinda), so maybe Brendan has the right idea after all.
    It's all about the right players, less about buying the names. You can splat out a huge amount of cash on someone and they turn out to be some sort of vanity signing that doesn't work. It'll all prove true or false on the pitch.

I think it is at the stage where it is PSV, Chelsea, Real, Barca ... that crop, who are the ones who buy the headlines grabbers now. We're all feeders outside of that lot.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• mcmonkeyplc 8 Jul 2014 10:03:27 39,384 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Have we signed Messi and Neymar yet?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Kay 8 Jul 2014 10:12:27 17,756 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    True that.

It'll just be £1.5m-£2m off the price to be loaned Campbell for the season.
    We should pay them extra so that they can take Sanogo instead.
  • vijay_UK 8 Jul 2014 10:16:44 2,075 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sanogo is a no-go. You're stuck with him ;)
  • Dougs 8 Jul 2014 10:59:00 66,588 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Sanogo is going to turn out OK. I don't think he'll ever be a top (top)† striker but has the potential to be a good one.
  • Page

of 5246 First / Last