The all-new Premier League thread Page 5037

• Page

of 5376 First / Last

• Shikasama 8 May 2014 13:08:52 6,756 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Teams parachuting out of the champions into it was the final nail in the coffin for me.
    We're agreeing quite a lot these days. It's unsettling.
  • Steve_Perry 8 May 2014 13:13:02 3,902 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The Europa League would be better as just a knock out tournament. Some sort of European cup if you will. You could reduce the fixture congestion by seeding and weeding out the shit early on.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• mikeck 8 May 2014 13:15:55 1,932 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The reality of the EL is that it guarantees a high number of Thursday night games in far Eastern European countries, which are an absolute pain in the arse.

iI's all very well saying play the B side, but at some point you will have tos tart to take the competition more seriously (around the point you realise you could actually win it), and that's usually the same point where players are starting to get fatigued and injured.

Then you inevitably gets knocked out by a properly good side who fell out the CL, and meanwhile you've been overtaken in the league. Your squad is knackered, fourth isn't going to happen, and you've nothing to show for your season.

This is the story of every season since we've qualified for the EL. The last season we didn't qualify we ended up in the CL.

Good luck to any team that thinks it's worth a go, but I'm sick of it.
    Absolutely. I'll be very happy if we don't qualify for it this season. Our record of taking hardly any points from games directly after a EL fixture speaks for itself (or it would if i could be bothered to dig out the actual figures themselves) ;)

Edited by mikeck at 13:16:36 08-05-2014
  • kalel 8 May 2014 13:25:11 86,969 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not just the EL either, it's the other cups too. Arsenal are obviously desperate for a Cup hence them trying a bit harder this season, but it's no coincidence that we're frequently seeing lower league teams getting further and further in domestic cups.
  • Dougs 8 May 2014 13:33:02 67,191 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As I've said before, the FA Cup is now finding the sort of level as other domestic cups elsewhere in Europe. It's a great competition but sadly due to the quest for CL cash (and even staying in the PL cash) means it's way down the list for clubs with limited resources.

For fans though, I desperately want to win it again. It's been too long, especially given we're the second most successful club at it. And could go joint first iirc.
  • Dougs 8 May 2014 13:34:33 67,191 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The other thing is I wonder whether the kids of today hold it in the same regard. We grew up with the FA Cup. Kids of today will have grown up with CL being everything.
  • kalel 8 May 2014 13:35:57 86,969 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Realistically Arsenal just need any trophy to stop the anotheryearwithoutatrophylols. Anything will do.
  • TheSaint 8 May 2014 13:39:34 14,303 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's easy to blame the CL but the FA have to take the majority of the blame for killing the FA Cup IMO. They sold their soul to the TV companies at the expense of the fans.

It will be interesting to see if BBC / BT can rescue it next season.

Edited by TheSaint at 13:39:47 08-05-2014
  • askew 8 May 2014 13:40:12 12,166 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sadly, it'll just become "Over 10 years since they last won the league".
  • gang_of_bitches 8 May 2014 13:51:22 5,477 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It all boils down to fixtures and money. Having two domestic cups which do basically the same things makes a nonsense of both.

What would be interesting would be to only have teams that finished in the bottom 12 of the previous season's PL competing in the League Cup. It would almost certainly result in UEFA taking away a place in the EL but it would make it a more interesting competition and give second tier clubs something to play for while reducing the fixture list for top teams and giving a bit more prestige and uniqueness back to the FA Cup.

As for the Europa League I think most of the suggestions so far are sensible. Take it back to a straight knockout competition and don't allow the CL dregs in. A place in the CL for the winners is a great incentive too.
  • gang_of_bitches 8 May 2014 14:01:53 5,477 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've just had a crazy idea.

What would the consequences be of halving Champions League prize money? The problem we currently face is that all other competitions, even domestic leagues themselves are basically 2nd best in comparison to the CL because of the money it generates. So what if rather than trying to bring other competitions up to the level of CL we bring it down?

It'll always be something teams want to win and be involved in, just not at the expense of everything else. Advertisers and sponsors are still going to want to be involved because it's still the best competition with the best teams. The stumbling block would obviously be the clubs for whom that money is an integral part of their business plan and I fear UEFA probably don't have the will or courage to rattle their cages.
  • karlo87 8 May 2014 14:02:18 1,401 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    The EL would be better if the 3rd place teams in the CL groups didn't get added to the knockout stage.
    Very much this.

Damn that sorcerer! Twenty gold pieces and Iím wankered on Rohypnol.

• kalel 8 May 2014 14:04:22 86,969 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They money from the CL has a direct correlation with the sale of the TV rights to televise it. And that figure is decided by what the TV providers are prepared to pay.

So how do you reduce that number? It's just basic supply and demand.
  • gang_of_bitches 8 May 2014 14:06:37 5,477 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    They money from the CL has a direct correlation with the sale of the TV rights to televise it. And that figure is decided by what the TV providers are prepared to pay.

So how do you reduce that number? It's just basic supply and demand.
    Why?

Can't Platini just stick the extra under his mattress? It's what Sepp would do.
  • PierrePressure 8 May 2014 14:08:20 114 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    They need to either get it off a Thursday or make sure the teams participating always have a Monday night match as their next one. OR, sensibly, don't have it on the same week as a Champions League list and have them on Tues/Weds.

But Spursday won't make much sense then :-(
  • nickthegun 8 May 2014 14:08:42 59,454 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    It's easy to blame the CL but the FA have to take the majority of the blame for killing the FA Cup IMO. They sold their soul to the TV companies at the expense of the fans.

It will be interesting to see if BBC / BT can rescue it next season.
    To be fair, that very much came after the slide had already started and I can kind of see their reasoning for changing the kick off times (if thats what you were referring to.

Long gone are the days when you would spend all morning watching the coaches working their way towards wembley and the fans farting for four hours.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• spindle9988 8 May 2014 14:34:11 3,528 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I remmber FA cup day when I was a kid. There was no one on the streets anywhere. It will never have the same love now as it did back then. I am not talking 40 years ago either (im 32)
  • mcmonkeyplc 8 May 2014 14:39:34 39,440 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We'll just have that for the Champions league instead.

/Ode to joy

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 15:04:00 08-05-2014

Come and get it cumslingers!

• nickthegun 8 May 2014 14:40:04 59,454 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. FA Cup day was genuinely the highlight of the season. The second Going Live finished, it ticked straight over to grandstand, usually with an aerial shot of a bus.

He totally called it

• Steve_Perry 8 May 2014 14:49:57 3,902 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Any of you seen the new FA proposals for English players? Sounds like a right load of crap. Interesting that the winter break isn't mentioned at all, too much money comes into the PL and FA coffers from fixture overload.

England were still shit when we had leagues full of English players. The problem is at grass roots for players and coaches.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• mcmonkeyplc 8 May 2014 15:04:53 39,440 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why does it sound like a load of crap?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Steve_Perry 8 May 2014 15:06:04 3,902 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Have you read it?

VIVA STEFANSEN

• nickthegun 8 May 2014 15:07:27 59,454 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Because the B-Team system has worked so well in the past.

He totally called it

• Shikasama 8 May 2014 15:07:50 6,756 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've never been sold on the idea that a 2 week holiday is to blame. The foreign players that play in England (read: some of the best players in the world) don't fade out in international tournaments like their english counterparts too.

Likewise, looking tired has never been England's problem as far as I can see, it's not being as good as the other guys. It's always smelled a bit like an easy excuse.
  • Steve_Perry 8 May 2014 15:09:03 3,902 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    I've never been sold on the idea that a 2 week holiday is to blame. The foreign players that play in England (read: some of the best players in the world) don't fade out in international tournaments like their english counterparts too.

Likewise, looking tired has never been England's problem as far as I can see, it's not being as good as the other guys. It's always smelled a bit like an easy excuse.
    I would argue it contributes but I wouldn't claim it as the only reason we are smelly.

The main reasons are dodgy refs and goal line technology of course.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Kichijoten 8 May 2014 15:09:25 1,178 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I just watched city v villa highlights. How the bloody hell did gerrard come higher in the football writers list than toure?????
  • nickthegun 8 May 2014 15:13:50 59,454 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Being tired doesnt explain why players who play at the highest level, week in week out, turn into park players the minute they pull on an england shirt. Their failure to pass the ball to a team mate has nothing to do with them being tired.

He totally called it

• The-Bodybuilder 8 May 2014 15:15:51 14,136 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The FA Cup was seen as valuable just 10 years ago.
    It's deterioration in terms of importance even in the last decade has been incredible.
  • gang_of_bitches 8 May 2014 15:15:57 5,477 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Kichijoten

They voted before the City v Villa game maybe?

Obviously you're right, it's a joke. Toure has been unbelievably good this year. On the other hand I think people have been amazed by Gerrard turning back the clock a couple of seasons.
  • nickthegun 8 May 2014 15:17:20 59,454 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, we have, arguably, too many teams as it is. You start slinging B-teams in there and who gives a fuck anymore?

What Alfreton fan would give a crap about going down to chelsea to take three points from a bunch of kids?

Utterly ludicrous.

He totally called it

• Page

of 5376 First / Last