The all-new Premier League thread Page 4971

• Page

of 5658 First / Last

• FWB 28 Apr 2014 00:10:38 45,580 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He's probably even more annoyed now that the job is open again.
  • Syrette 28 Apr 2014 00:12:46 44,211 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think some people read too much into what Mourinho does in the public eye.

He's a master of mind games and can be pretty deceptive. I take everything he says to the media with a pinch of salt and I don't take his body language as always portraying his true emotions.

• Steve_Perry 28 Apr 2014 00:14:35 5,200 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I appreciate that but he can't be that good an actor. He looks genuinely depressed and is shitty with all of the journos now.

If it's all a play then he's an even bigger genius than I thought.
  • FWB 28 Apr 2014 00:17:34 45,580 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He doesn't look perky. Shattered, disheveled and unloved. Agree the media have got fed up with him now, whereas before it was all fun and games. He's not made any progress coming back to Chelsea. He's playing the same way he did before.
  • karlo87 28 Apr 2014 00:18:30 1,695 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Spain changed him, mannnn

Damn that sorcerer! Twenty gold pieces and Iím wankered on Rohypnol.

• FWB 28 Apr 2014 00:21:32 45,580 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He's won everything there is to win. He should take up a challenge. Quit Chelsea and manage Norwich.
  • karlo87 28 Apr 2014 00:50:46 1,695 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    And not walk into an already made team? Don't think he'd enjoy that :p

Damn that sorcerer! Twenty gold pieces and Iím wankered on Rohypnol.

• Humperfunk 28 Apr 2014 01:08:36 2,492 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Haha I love that the banner for the BBC news article of Suarez winning PFA Player of the Year has a picture of him feigning injury.

Edited by Humperfunk at 01:08:55 28-04-2014

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• Punctum 28 Apr 2014 01:10:29 1,045 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    Haha I love that the banner for the BBC news article of Suarez winning PFA Player of the Year has a picture of him feigning injury.
    Ha! Well played.
  • Widge Moderator 28 Apr 2014 07:07:35 13,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've got this on mine:

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Widge Moderator 28 Apr 2014 07:10:42 13,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So. According to the three managers, none of their teams will win the league!

Chelsea did well yesterday, without the mistakes they would have got nothing however, there was no threat from them to even counter it seemed. Intriguing bunch of run in now, can City deal with the pressure this time?

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Frogofdoom 28 Apr 2014 07:28:09 1,083 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
  • vijay_UK 28 Apr 2014 07:46:06 2,371 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Intriguing bunch of run in now, can City deal with the pressure this time?
    I think City will win the title. The goal difference they have will be key. Ironically, only Everton can save Liverpool as City's last 2 games are at home and City should win those. Yesterday was a great day for City.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 28 Apr 2014 08:14:15 4,509 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Liverpool should really have played for a draw yesterday and made Chelsea play. They'll never catch that goal difference.

How are Azpilicueta and Ivanovic not in the team of the year btw?
  • Widge Moderator 28 Apr 2014 08:57:50 13,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    Widge wrote:
    Intriguing bunch of run in now, can City deal with the pressure this time?
    I think City will win the title. The goal difference they have will be key. Ironically, only Everton can save Liverpool as City's last 2 games are at home and City should win those. Yesterday was a great day for City.
    True, although if you think about it, getting a flawless 14 game run in was a big ask. Taking points off City and having Sunderland get some off them was quite the gift. Be interesting to see it go to the last day and watch how pressure affects the teams. City were expected to romp over QPR when they won it and had a torrid time. Nice fat schedule for them too.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Deleted user 28 April 2014 09:20:54
    I think Rodgers lost his head a bit going for the win. A draw was good enough and Chelsea needed the win more. Why go hell for leather like that?

Mourinho's mind tricks worked. He did the rope-a-dope with all this "we can't win the league, we're not even going to try" and Rodgers fell for it.
  • mikew1985 28 Apr 2014 09:27:19 13,033 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just saw the Rodgers interview this morning and he was quite bitter about the whole thing. Then Phil "thomo" Thompson was on newstalk (Irish station, no affiliation with talkSport) this morning adn kept saying how Liverpool were unequivocally the "better team".

He was talking about how they battered Chelsea and how Chelsea didn't really do anything. He specifically mentioned that they deserved to win but that nothing fell their way.

I'm sorry but isn't that all a little Moyes/Vizinni post Everton loss. Chelsea employed the right tactics to win the game and won. How can Liverpool argue they should have/deserved the win?
  • Widge Moderator 28 Apr 2014 09:31:13 13,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I think Rodgers lost his head a bit going for the win. A draw was good enough and Chelsea needed the win more. Why go hell for leather like that?

Mourinho's mind tricks worked. He did the rope-a-dope with all this "we can't win the league, we're not even going to try" and Rodgers fell for it.
    True, and Rodgers is going to need to add a string to his bow for the Champions League next season to deal with this. One thing coming up against some mid-table bus parker, coming up against a well drilled top level player of this game is another thing.

Big M played it perfectly, didn't like the timewasting though. They've been transparent and horrible like that in the past. Still remember Drogba in the CL a good age ago crumpling off the pitch, realising play wasn't going to stop and making sure he rolled back into play to break it all up.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• captbirdseye 28 Apr 2014 09:33:45 5,464 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The time wasting was the biggest thing yesterday and Jose had the nerve to criticise Palace for it. I wonder if Abramovich ever regrets getting rid of Ancelotti.

Edited by captbirdseye at 09:37:30 28-04-2014
  • robc84 28 Apr 2014 09:36:36 6,081 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah Rodgers played right into Mourinho's hands. What they should have done is sat back and invited Chelsea on to them. It may not be 'the Liverpool way', but sometimes you do what you need to do to win a game, and Mourinho is the master of doing just that.
  • nickthegun 28 Apr 2014 09:37:35 61,304 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:

"I still wouldnt want him at manchester united, though"

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 28 April 2014 09:39:38
    Rogders said it himself in the interview, the plan was to get an early goal to draw them out and open the game up.

But once that didn't work it was time for a different approach. We all know Liverpool are likely to leak a couple of goals, and once it was obvious they weren't going to just destroy Chelsea's defence with ease, Rodgers should have realised how vulnerable they were.

It's easily said in hindsight, but it's quite incredible just how much it went according to Jose's plan.
  • Widge Moderator 28 Apr 2014 09:45:56 13,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah. It's a bit like how Barca often got called out for having Plan A (which worked really well for them) and their Plan B was essentially "do Plan A". Rodgers will have to work on that for the Liverpool squad going forward. Has them up to speed on their offensive play but need to get their defensive play up.

You look at City yesterday, they are remarkably solid when they need to be. You've got to have that solid backline if your attack gets breached.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• TheMilkman 28 Apr 2014 09:47:40 230 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If Gerrard hadn't fallen over, it probably would've been 0-0 and Mourinho would've been lambasted by everyone in the media for setting up so negatively when Chelsea needed to win.

Because he did fall over though Mourinho is a genius.
  • Blakester 28 Apr 2014 09:49:21 3,664 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didn't get a chance to post yesterday, but ultimately I think Chelsea had the better game-plan and I can't fault them for taking that stance against us. They slowed the game down to a crawl at times and had two banks of defenders, preventing us from getting an serious attacking momentum going, similar to what Sunderland tried but couldn't maintain for 90 minutes a few weeks ago.

We were undone by a sloppy mistake by Gerrard, and there is no better team in the league at punishing mistakes than Chelsea.

Mourinho's hypocrisy is really tough to take though. He bleats when other teams use "19th Century football" or the ball boys take their time returning the ball. Gerrard had to rip the ball from his fingers to take a thrown in!!

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Deleted user 28 April 2014 09:49:43
    @TheMilkman

You can't really play that game. Mourinho would have done things differently in the second half if they hadn't scored in the first. Much like the game at WHL earlier this season when they parked the bus for the first half then brought on Mata at half time to win it.

Edited by kalel at 09:50:02 28-04-2014
  • Widge Moderator 28 Apr 2014 09:49:53 13,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I missed this, outstanding racism retort by Alves:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27183851

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Widge Moderator 28 Apr 2014 09:51:24 13,743 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    Mourinho's hypocrisy is really tough to take though.
    I think it is less hypocrite, more about he knows exactly what to say and do to win. Whether this is playing the poor me card or playing the rules of the game to their fullest extent, the works. If Suarez is the hell for leather street scrapping footballer, then Mourinho is the managerial equivalent.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• robc84 28 Apr 2014 09:51:38 6,081 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    TheMilkman wrote:
    If Gerrard hadn't fallen over, it probably would've been 0-0 and Mourinho would've been lambasted by everyone in the media for setting up so negatively when Chelsea needed to win.

Because he did fall over though Mourinho is a genius.
    But what if he had set up offensively, Liverpool had scored early and they'd ended up losing 2 or 3-0? Tactically naive I suppose?

Chelsea's best chance of winning was to set up defensively and hope for a counter attack / set piece / mistake from Liverpool and take advantage.

The fact is Gerrard did slip and Chelsea did score. Therefore Jose's approach was vindicated.
  • gang_of_bitches 28 Apr 2014 09:52:49 5,644 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    You don't score two goals when you "park the bus". Highly defensive counter-attacking football is absolutely standard away against the big teams. Chelsea played to win, and did.

I can't believe no one picked up on this. Like I said straight after the game Chelsea defended brilliantly, but that's all they did and if it wasn't parking the bus I don't know what is. They scored 2 goals because for the first Gerrard lost control of the ball with no cover (a frailty of the Liverpool system) and for the second Liverpool were committed to getting back into the game and had no players in their own half.

How do you think the game would have gone if they hadn't conceded the first goal? They weren't playing counter attacking football, they left one man up and very rarely supported him when the ball broke.
  • Page

of 5658 First / Last