The all-new Premier League thread Page 4838

• Page

of 5502 First / Last

• Dougs 7 Apr 2014 12:24:06 68,059 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The counter argument is that defensively we improved when he had a greater say (which it did, we had the best defensive record until a few weeks ago, amazingly). I think the reality is more that players like Arteta are out on their feet due to injuries and lack of rotation and not playing as well
  • Bremenacht 7 Apr 2014 12:30:19 18,459 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tim Sherwood returns to the dugout as he makes it clear Spurs know they need to up their form of late

"I would've had to have no effect on that [Liverpool] game. Against teams we've got left to play, the players know the script now.

"We will play the same way between now and the end of the season and it's up to them to try to entertain.

"I'll be there at the forefront with them and hopefully we can get a positive result together."
    I think other teams might know our script better than we do. Hoping it isn't a mediocre game tonight.
  • THFourteen 7 Apr 2014 12:31:42 33,623 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing is, whats really missing is that intensity, the collective "defensive / run around like maniacs" mentality of the team. The sort of thing that Chelsea and Stoke have, but City don't need because they substitute it with immense quality all over the pitch (which we don't have).

There are two reasons why it's gone missing

1) Tired players
    2) Players not hungry enough

You look at the beginning of the game yesterday, and Everton were flying into the challenges. Yet their manager likes to play attractive football. Where was our intensity? Why do we never start like that? It's so hard to get MORE intensity when you start with none. Normally you start off high, and then tail off as your players get tired.

Dunno who to blame.
  • Kay 7 Apr 2014 12:33:02 17,905 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We started off with that sort of intensity earlier this season. It's that age-old argument about tired players, injuries etc.
  • Dougs 7 Apr 2014 12:34:20 68,059 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think it's anything to do with hunger, it's more fear imo. Get the fuckers to a shrink quick smart
  • jablonski 7 Apr 2014 12:50:14 4,220 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PirateRoberts wrote:
    Blakester wrote:
    PirateRoberts wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    The other big clubs buy so many players they cant even get them all in their squads.

Besides the size of our squad isn't the issue its the quality.

We play one up front and we have three strikers. Numbers wise that's fine. But one is average and two are shite.
    I don't even think it's quality (bar up front where we are short) - we've shown for much of the campaign that we can match most teams, it's our mentality that is the problem, especially in big games away from home. Arseblogger is a good read this morning.
    I think it is just a striker philosophy problem. If Wenger could integrate someone like Alan Shearer to his coaching staff for defending and striking coaching, they'd be far more ruthless at critical moments.
    Yup, Alan Shearer's definitely your go-to guy for defence coaching.
    What was I thinking. How on earth does a qualified football coach that played at the top level as a prolific traditional no. 9, think he will know anything about breaking through defensive frailties or coaching defenders how to counter those direct attacking threats?

It isn't like attack and defence are two halves of the same problem.
    Shearer proves week in week out he knows fuck all about football on MOTD.
    And handily he had a crack at it and took a team down.
  • motti82 7 Apr 2014 13:01:53 2,891 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shearer is Mr England. Couldn't give a shit about tactics, formations or even the European leagues.

You need progressive managers that are willing to spend time honing their game and style.

I do hope Everton finish 4th, a great year for Merseyside clubs.
  • Deckard1 7 Apr 2014 13:18:23 28,261 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You morons just can't think outside the box like vizzini can. Getting Shearer in as a defensive coach would pretty much guarantee them a top 2 finish. If they could get Mark Lawrenson in to do some motivational speaking as well I think they'd be pretty much undefeatable
  • Baihu1983 7 Apr 2014 13:19:53 3,458 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sky are saying Spurs will replace Tim at the end of the season

Edited by Baihu1983 at 13:29:50 07-04-2014
  • Baihu1983 7 Apr 2014 13:19:54 3,458 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Syrette 7 Apr 2014 13:30:04 43,598 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So Spurs just gave up their season, basically. They'll put next to no effort in to their remaining games, in the knowledge that their manager is leaving anyway. Clubs will look at Spurs games as easy points from here on out.

Surely you leave this sort of stuff till the season's end, or at least don't leak it on the day of a match?

Shades of Jol's sacking about it (not as bad, mind).

• FWB 7 Apr 2014 13:45:37 44,668 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=313201.0
  • mcmonkeyplc 7 Apr 2014 13:49:32 39,464 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dear god.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Baihu1983 7 Apr 2014 13:50:28 3,458 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Syrette maybe but those players are still playing for their futures.
  • Dougs 7 Apr 2014 13:54:18 68,059 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not really, as they won't know who the new manager will be. They might play out of their skin and still be shipped out. Or kept on as they once played well against the new manager's team etc.
  • Steve_Perry 7 Apr 2014 13:56:20 4,335 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=313201.0
    That's actually worse than that "embarrassing club" Tottenham video.

Edited by Steve_Perry at 13:56:40 07-04-2014

VIVA STEFANSEN

• kalel 7 Apr 2014 14:02:38 87,933 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wonder if they want to announce LVG as manager ASAP so as to motivate players, and get people to sign up for their season tickets.
  • Dougs 7 Apr 2014 14:06:31 68,059 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, that would work.
  • morriss 7 Apr 2014 14:28:08 71,035 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just like to say, once again, and for the final time, that I was so wrong about MArtinez and kalel was right. Please let's get him as our next manager.

Still think AVB needed more time

:(
  • kalel 7 Apr 2014 14:29:50 87,933 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Boat missed on that one.

The only consolation is that now he'll leave Everton for a big job in Spain, not us.
  • morriss 7 Apr 2014 14:31:09 71,035 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah. Fair to him. I think I'm not the only doubter he proved wrong. But he tactically dicked Wenger on Saturday, and that's no mean feat.
  • vijay_UK 7 Apr 2014 14:36:59 2,191 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    The thing is, whats really missing is that intensity, the collective "defensive / run around like maniacs" mentality of the team. The sort of thing that Chelsea and Stoke have, but City don't need because they substitute it with immense quality all over the pitch (which we don't have).

There are two reasons why it's gone missing

1) Tired players
    2) Players not hungry enough

You look at the beginning of the game yesterday, and Everton were flying into the challenges. Yet their manager likes to play attractive football. Where was our intensity? Why do we never start like that? It's so hard to get MORE intensity when you start with none. Normally you start off high, and then tail off as your players get tired.

Dunno who to blame.
    Point behind Everton but you've been in the Champions League this season and have reached the Cup semi final. Everton have had no Europe and done nothing in the cups, like Liverpool. All this Martinez love has gotten out of hand. Win your remaining games and I'm pretty sure it's CL again next year, it's a good run-in too.
  • Dougs 7 Apr 2014 14:37:26 68,059 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Yeah. Fair to him. I think I'm not the only doubter he proved wrong. But he tactically dicked Wenger on Saturday, and that's no mean feat.
    Tsk, Wenger doesn't do tactics, silly!
  • spindle9988 7 Apr 2014 14:37:56 3,597 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was gutted when I thought we were going to get Martinez. I am not saying I would swap Rodgers for him but I was definitely wrong about his ability
  • kalel 7 Apr 2014 14:38:51 87,933 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nonsense. Martinez and Everton are the real success story of this season, not Liverpool.
  • Bremenacht 7 Apr 2014 14:44:20 18,459 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really don't want LVG at WHL - a manager who'll probably treat it as a blank sheet. If Sherwood must go, then I'd rather see Hoddle back.

Maybe I'm just being a bit kneejerk 'big name manager @ WHL, here we go again'.
  • Blakester 7 Apr 2014 14:47:04 3,630 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whenever I see Hoddle mentioned in connection with the Spurs gig, I just think Dalglish.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• kalel 7 Apr 2014 14:50:24 87,933 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hoddle has unfinished business with us, and I do think he has the potential to be a very good manager for us. The Dalglish comparison is an odd one. Hoddle was ahead of his time in his approach last time. We weren't ready for that kind of thing. Dalglish by comparison was a dinosaur in his last stint at Liverpool.

This season would have been the perfect opportunity to give him another trial run after AVB didn't work out. Very much a missed chance. I guess he'll have to wait for the next guy to not work out now, so he'll probably be in charge around this time next year.
  • spindle9988 7 Apr 2014 14:52:18 3,597 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Nonsense. Martinez and Everton are the real success story of this season, not Liverpool.
    Whats nonsense?
  • kalel 7 Apr 2014 14:52:51 87,933 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    All this Martinez love has gotten out of hand
  • Page

of 5502 First / Last