The all-new Premier League thread Page 4760

  • Page

    of 5658 First / Last

  • nickthegun 24 Mar 2014 09:41:51 61,269 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its just a shame arsenal seem to shit themselves after christmas. It would have made things more interesting in the run in.

    Still, please look forward to the announcement that you are definitely thinking about the possibility of maybe looking at holding tentative talks with a star foward at renewal time, so this doesnt happen again.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

  • Deleted user 24 March 2014 09:43:39
    Still fairly hilarious you used the word "meagre" in any context.

    Realistically you're about par on position in relation to your spend. The fact that you massively underachieved in recent years doesn't make that more impressive.
  • mcmonkeyplc 24 Mar 2014 09:45:30 39,559 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So it comes to this, this is what Fergie's retirement has done: PLEASE MAN CITY, PLEASE CHELSEA, PLEASE WIN THE LEAGUE!

    PLEASE!

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • Dougs 24 Mar 2014 09:46:51 69,465 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its just a shame arsenal seem to shit themselves after christmas. It would have made things more interesting in the run in.

    Still, please look forward to the announcement that you are definitely thinking about the possibility of maybe looking at holding tentative talks with a star foward at renewal time, so this doesnt happen again.
    :-/ Must be about time for the first story to surface, Club Level renewals are due soon (that's the min of 2700 spend). Just have to hope that we can hold it together for 2 games at Wembley. I wouldn't bet on it though.
  • Blakester 24 Mar 2014 09:48:33 3,663 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Still fairly hilarious you used the word "meagre" in any context.

    Realistically you're about par on position in relation to your spend. The fact that you massively underachieved in recent years doesn't make that more impressive.
    We're currently second, and have the 5th largest transfer expenditure this season. By my very simple maths, that means we're overachieving no?

    When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

  • nickthegun 24 Mar 2014 09:50:47 61,269 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be fair, football finances are in a world of their own. The amount of times ive heard that sturridge is 'only' on 70k a week this weekend is just ridiculous.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

  • Dougs 24 Mar 2014 09:53:20 69,465 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blakester wrote:

    We're currently second, and have the 5th largest transfer expenditure this season. By my very simple maths, that means we're overachieving no?
    And have taken on quite a bit of debt to do it....
  • Deleted user 24 March 2014 09:57:02
    Blakester wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Still fairly hilarious you used the word "meagre" in any context.

    Realistically you're about par on position in relation to your spend. The fact that you massively underachieved in recent years doesn't make that more impressive.
    We're currently second, and have the 5th largest transfer expenditure this season. By my very simple maths, that means we're overachieving no?
    You're being very very careful with the facts there. Over-simplified as opposed to "very simple"...

    Anyway, my point continues to be that in order to be true title contenders, you're probably going to need to beat one of the other title contenders. Chest-beating doesn't change that.
  • Blakester 24 Mar 2014 10:10:18 3,663 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Blakester wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Still fairly hilarious you used the word "meagre" in any context.

    Realistically you're about par on position in relation to your spend. The fact that you massively underachieved in recent years doesn't make that more impressive.
    We're currently second, and have the 5th largest transfer expenditure this season. By my very simple maths, that means we're overachieving no?
    You're being very very careful with the facts there. Over-simplified as opposed to "very simple"...

    Anyway, my point continues to be that in order to be true title contenders, you're probably going to need to beat one of the other title contenders. Chest-beating doesn't change that.
    I don't think I've disputed that have I?

    When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

  • Deleted user 24 March 2014 10:12:31
    You seemed affronted by the suggestion somehow. Or is it just any excuse to tell us all how amazingly Liverpool are doing?
  • Blakester 24 Mar 2014 10:24:19 3,663 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    You seemed affronted by the suggestion somehow. Or is it just any excuse to tell us all how amazingly Liverpool are doing?
    It's more that I was defending the assertion that we can't beat the other title challenging teams when we beat Arsenal and put in a great shift away at Chelsea and City.

    Frankly, if you can't be a bit vocal about your team when they're doing well, why bother being a fan?

    When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

  • mcmonkeyplc 24 Mar 2014 10:25:34 39,559 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How about being vocal when they're shit as well then.

    Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 10:26:30 24-03-2014

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • Deleted user 24 March 2014 10:27:30
    Blakester wrote:
    It's more that I was defending the assertion that we can't beat the other title challenging teams
    And where did that happen?
  • TheSaint 24 Mar 2014 10:32:23 14,826 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm surprised none of the Liverpool fans have posted a table showing us how the league would look if you got points for putting in a 'good shift'.
  • RedSparrows 24 Mar 2014 10:32:44 24,154 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    How about being vocal when they're shit as well then.
    I thought that's what everyone said 'Lollerpool fans' for? They were always mocked for being vocal when shit.
  • thedaveeyres 24 Mar 2014 10:33:53 11,582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Liverpool might not have won a title in over twenty years, but they've never lost their capacity to rustle some serious jimmies.

    XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

  • Deleted user 24 March 2014 10:36:15
    My original point was simply Chelsea and City are still somewhat quietly very much favourites for the title, despite the media and Liverpool fans making a huge deal out of how well Liverpool are doing.

    It's a little ironic the response to that comment was to make a huge deal out of how well Liverpool are doing.
  • Widge Moderator 24 Mar 2014 10:42:28 13,738 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    My original point was simply Chelsea and City are still somewhat quietly very much favourites for the title, despite the media and Liverpool fans making a huge deal out of how well Liverpool are doing.

    It's a little ironic the response to that comment was to make a huge deal out of how well Liverpool are doing.
    Liverpool would have to beat both City and Chelsea, win every game and hope for some collapses to be in with it.

    Very much similar to the titan run vs. Utd a few years back. Great run in form (blighted by a 4 - 4 with Arsenal) but essentially not enough with Utd holding the gap. A couple of fumbles post 4 - 1 made it interesting but nothing beats being out front.

    _ _ _

    www.inverted-audio.com

  • Widge Moderator 24 Mar 2014 10:44:54 13,738 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Our obsession with possession at all costs especially at the back can be bloody frustrating at times. We create so many problems for ourselves passing it out from the back when everyone is marked.
    Once you get that ability to deal with passing and marking, you become quite a force. Impressive how unlocked teams become once you can push past the pressing game.

    Unfortunately, you have to go through the shit times to get to the good ones.

    _ _ _

    www.inverted-audio.com

  • Deleted user 24 March 2014 10:50:42
    Widge wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    Our obsession with possession at all costs especially at the back can be bloody frustrating at times. We create so many problems for ourselves passing it out from the back when everyone is marked.
    Once you get that ability to deal with passing and marking, you become quite a force. Impressive how unlocked teams become once you can push past the pressing game.

    Unfortunately, you have to go through the shit times to get to the good ones.
    Not convinced you're dealing with it that well. You're scoring yourselves out of trouble, but conceding three to the likes of Cardiff is still cause for concern.
  • FWB 24 Mar 2014 11:06:21 45,554 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Liverpool front lot are ace. The rest are pretty average at best and the defence is shocking. Should Suarez go, and he may despite CL as there is nothing in him that suggests loyalty or decency, I can't see them being in the same position next year. He is vital in not just the goals he scores, but the understanding he has with Sturridge. He has improved alot in his unselfishness. Can see one of the top clubs coming in for him.

    Edited by FWB at 11:11:35 24-03-2014
  • Deleted user 24 March 2014 11:20:29
    They're better than average. There's the makings of a very decent side, but Suarez is dragging them all up a level.
  • nickthegun 24 Mar 2014 11:25:47 61,269 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be fair, sturridge looks like the real deal. I know suarez is another level but if they bought someone even half decent, they would compete next year.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

  • RedSparrows 24 Mar 2014 11:27:29 24,154 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Makes one wonder how many other semi-decent English players could actually be worth watching if they were given more of a chance.

    Bloody foreigners! Or something.
  • Dougs 24 Mar 2014 11:30:04 69,465 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can't quite get my head around Sturridge. I'm still not wholly convinced by him. I suspect it's probably because of that stupid fucking dance, which infuriates me for some reason.
  • Deleted user 24 March 2014 11:30:35
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Makes one wonder how many other semi-decent English players could actually be worth watching if they were given more of a chance.
    "We" (fans and the media) are mercilessly hypocritical on this point.

    We bash the absolute shit out of English players and managers that are given half a chance and aren't instantly the best thing ever, and spend the rest of our time moaning that they're not given a chance.
  • Mr_Sleep 24 Mar 2014 11:32:49 17,365 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I can't quite get my head around Sturridge. I'm still not wholly convinced by him. I suspect it's probably because of that stupid fucking dance, which infuriates me for some reason.
    Same here, just not sure if he really is as good as his stats this season show. I think it's partly that he always looks like an omnishambles on the ball, although that seems strangely effective.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • nickthegun 24 Mar 2014 11:46:57 61,269 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dunno. Admittedly its mostly highlights, but he seems to have a decent touch and excellent positional sense.

    Certainly hes looking like the player united with wellshit was.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

  • robc84 24 Mar 2014 11:51:12 6,066 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    And to be fair Sturridge, he was scoring for fun earlier in the season, when Suarez was injured. So I don't think it's Suarez making him look good.

    Seems like a really good striker to me. Shame he will inevitably stink it up at the world cup by virtue of playing for England.
  • Page

    of 5658 First / Last

Log in or register to reply