The all-new Premier League thread Page 4744

• Page

of 5255 First / Last

• nickthegun 19 Mar 2014 09:39:50 58,787 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was lucky to meet Brian Clough several times (I used to work as a saturday lad in a pet shop and delivered sacks of dog food to his house) and even in his latter years, he was still someone who could tell you to jump off a cliff and you would do it.

Admittedly, there was girly hero worship every time I went over, but he just exuded confidence and charisma, even when he had gardening gloves on and was up to his elbows in compost.

Obviously you have to marry that up with tactical nouse, but he could make you follow instructions. If he told you to play 1-1-8, you would do it until you fell over.

/gushing

Edited by nickthegun at 09:40:15 19-03-2014

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• spindle9988 19 Mar 2014 10:12:22 3,501 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I was lucky to meet Brian Clough several times (I used to work as a saturday lad in a pet shop and delivered sacks of dog food to his house) and even in his latter years, he was still someone who could tell you to jump off a cliff and you would do it.

Admittedly, there was girly hero worship every time I went over, but he just exuded confidence and charisma, even when he had gardening gloves on and was up to his elbows in compost.

Obviously you have to marry that up with tactical nouse, but he could make you follow instructions. If he told you to play 1-1-8, you would do it until you fell over.

/gushing
    I am so jealout that you got to meet clough. You are right though, he was just full of charisma and whilst I agree with kalel that a brilliant mind will sometimes do, I couldnt imagine anyone getting buzzed up aqfter a team talk from sven.

Edit: Even though footballers are paid massive amounts of money and should do what they are told, most will respond better to a manger who gets the point across in a charismatic manner

Edited by spindle9988 at 10:13:38 19-03-2014
  • THFourteen 19 Mar 2014 10:15:18 32,863 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Have you ever listened to someone who doesn't inspire you? Doesn't matter how clever they are, if they have no personality, you won't listen to them.
    I had some teachers who were hugely charismatic and motivational, but I had others who were just brilliant minds, and were still very good teachers. Obviously they weren't so good with the less attentive kids though.

But let's not forget these are professional players, not a bunch of street kids in some sort of rehabilitation scheme. They are being paid phenomenal amounts of money and it is their job to listen to their manager and follow his instructions.

So yes, I agree charisma is probably important in a manager, and for some it's their main tool, but I don't think it's utterly fundamental. I suspect quite a lot of successful managers have been more bookish and less charismatic, and still had great success. Someone like Sven for example, or even Capello. I believe Bill Nick was pretty mild mannered in fact.
    Pffft.

Anyone who's ever played D&D knows that Charisma is the first thing to go when minmaxing.
  • kalel 19 Mar 2014 10:18:24 86,369 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wenger doesn't strike me as Mr Charisma either tbf. I'm sure he's relatively motivational, but he's definitely more of a Sven than a Harry.
  • Youthist 19 Mar 2014 10:21:18 10,010 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He doesn't steal either, which is one in his credit column.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• nickthegun 19 Mar 2014 10:21:35 58,787 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think attitude goes a long way with wenger which is why he can do the professor thing.

He seems to surround himself with people who can do what they are told and if they cant, off they go.

But, yeah, its easier to follow orders when you are doing well. It would be interesting to see what happened in a really bad period.

He totally called it

• IMO 19 Mar 2014 10:23:08 5,582 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wenger strikes me as the kind of manager that appeals to his players' egos to get them going.
  • Bremenacht 19 Mar 2014 13:56:31 17,613 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't think you can judge any manager by their appearance in front of cameras and interviewers, even Moyes.

Managers, players - they all seem well drilled in saying relatively nothing of value.
  • Dougs 19 Mar 2014 14:01:22 66,687 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I think attitude goes a long way with wenger which is why he can do the professor thing.

He seems to surround himself with people who can do what they are told and if they cant, off they go.

But, yeah, its easier to follow orders when you are doing well. It would be interesting to see what happened in a really bad period.
    I think this is it. He treats them like adults and lets them work it out, intervening only when necessary - from ex-players, he doesn't really give HT team talks etc - waits for the players themselves to identify the issues, giving them a steer more than anything. He trusts players and most respond to that. Some abuse it of course, but they don't last long - hence why I wonder whether Giroud will stick around or be shipped back.
  • kalel 19 Mar 2014 14:43:27 86,369 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The difference between genius and madness is success.
  • The-Bodybuilder 19 Mar 2014 15:04:13 14,068 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Wenger doesn't strike me as Mr Charisma either tbf. I'm sure he's relatively motivational, but he's definitely more of a Sven than a Harry.
    He's actually full of it.
    This much is obvious that even when the media are shit stirring and we're up against it, he can somehow in a room full of them romanticise the situation and somehow give hope to even the most sceptic of journalists that somehow "maybe they can overcome the odds", even though we usually fail.

He gets them every time.
    He's also very charismatic and influential when giving talks.
    Fergie, even though on TV may seem to not have charisma, is exactly the same when giving talks. They have an ability to capture their audience.
  • The-Bodybuilder 19 Mar 2014 15:06:16 14,068 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    I don't think you can judge any manager by their appearance in front of cameras and interviewers, even Moyes.

Managers, players - they all seem well drilled in saying relatively nothing of value.
    Agreed.
    It's when they are giving talks outside of normal football situations is where you can tell if they have charisma or not.
  • Ka-blamo 20 Mar 2014 22:28:41 7,291 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
  • thedaveeyres 20 Mar 2014 22:43:10 10,688 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I liked this one

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Dougs 21 Mar 2014 10:38:01 66,687 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stay classy Jose. Twat.
  • danathjo 21 Mar 2014 10:46:20 7,225 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    what's he said this time?
  • HarryPalmer 21 Mar 2014 10:46:36 3,110 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Some abuse it of course, but they don't last long - hence why I wonder whether Giroud will stick around or be shipped back.
    Not sure about this, Giroud is giving 100% in my opinion, and doing everything asked of him by the looks of it. Not his fault he doesn't have a strike partner.
  • TheSaint 21 Mar 2014 10:52:38 14,201 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This?

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says he "admires" Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger's achievement in reaching 1,000 games in charge of the Gunners ahead of their meeting at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

"I admire him and admire Arsenal," adds Mourinho. "Because it is not possible to have 1,000 matches unless the club is also a fantastic club in the way they support their manager, specially in the bad moments and especially when the bad moments were quite a lot.

"The tribute is to say that any one of us managers would love to have the same privilege with our clubs. Could I stay for 1,000 games? I would like to, but it's very difficult. It's even more difficult in modern football. If I can reach 500 with Chelsea it would be fantastic."
  • Dougs 21 Mar 2014 10:55:30 66,687 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I meant more his transgressions than his form. Wenger doesn't like those easily distracted...

As for Jose:

Mourinho: 'I admire Wenger and I admire Arsenal, a club that stands by their manager in bad moments - of which there were quite a lot.'

Edit: Ah, some handy editing to make it seem worse. Clever bastards.

Edited by Dougs at 10:56:15 21-03-2014
  • nickthegun 21 Mar 2014 10:55:40 58,787 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be honest, if I was constantly asked inane questions, I like to think I would answer them like that. Thats a superb backhanded compliment.

Edited by nickthegun at 10:55:49 21-03-2014

He totally called it

• THFourteen 21 Mar 2014 10:56:29 32,863 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ahahahaha

That's hilarious.
  • danathjo 21 Mar 2014 10:57:34 7,225 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can't help himself can he?

That Kolo trial story is amazing btw
  • mcmonkeyplc 21 Mar 2014 10:57:48 39,387 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can you North Londoners please stop fucking bottling it?!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Dougs 21 Mar 2014 11:24:25 66,687 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He never could quite carry it off eh?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjPhco-CYAIT2RL.png
  • danathjo 21 Mar 2014 11:29:13 7,225 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :D little bit awkward

Funny story from a mate a couple weeks ago filming Arsenal at Colney, Wenger blew his nose on the field (no tissue like a real man) then walked around for the next couple hours with a massive booger on his jumper, how no one told is a mystery!
  • Dougs 21 Mar 2014 13:20:37 66,687 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Likely to be bollocks, but:

Van Persie to hospital for further treatment. Rumours ongoing that he may miss the WC... Reports suggests that he torn his knee ligament. From @MartijnBaars91, whoever he is.
  • ElNino9 21 Mar 2014 14:50:06 13,290 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Available for tomorrow, according to Moyes.

You could tell by how relaxed and smug he was when he was being carried off that there was nothing wrong with him, the handsome devil.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Steve_Perry 21 Mar 2014 14:50:21 3,578 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I read this morning that he just had a slight knock and would be playing against City. Bit of a conflict of reports going on.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Dougs 21 Mar 2014 14:54:29 66,687 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 54m

David Moyes has confirmed @Persie_Official will miss the trip to West Ham due to the knee injury he sustained on Wednesday. #mufc

Manchester United ‏@ManUtd 53m

More on RvP's injury: "We're getting Robin re-scanned today. We're not quite conclusive on everything we've seen." #mufc
  • thedaveeyres 21 Mar 2014 14:59:48 10,688 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Horse-placenta-o-meter is reading a 5.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Page

of 5255 First / Last