The all-new Premier League thread Page 4740

• Page

of 5658 First / Last

• Youthist 17 Mar 2014 19:19:42 10,078 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    The cost to Arsenal to keep Bacary Sagna at the club: 20m.

He's demanding more than 90,000/week over a 3-year contract, plus a 6m signing on fee to be paid in annual installments.

Seems rather excessive, I wonder how many people here on this board who could 'threaten' their employers like this.
    He is asking for a pay rise, and they can decide if they give it. Seems pretty straightforward and it goes on all the time. Plus they are not really employers.

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• QotSAfan 17 Mar 2014 19:25:31 1,756 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The revisionism of Moyes is getting a bit ridiculous now. He is not a bad manager. Actually he's a very good one.

There's lots wrong at United and sure, he's getting a lot wrong, but he's currently also the scapegoat for nearly a decade of under-investment by the Glazers.
    It isn't revisionism. It's just acknowledgement that Moyes has been found out as a manager when he has been required to step up to the next level. He is a good solid manager but he lacks the charisma and leadership skills for any of the biggest clubs in world football. He just got hired beyond the level that he was best operating at.

I wouldn't say United have been under a period of under-investment. They have just found they cannot dominate the market the way they used to, with the rise of the super rich clubs. Their lack of midfielders seems to have been Fergies fault but that should be rectified with Fellani and Mata now.
  • QotSAfan 17 Mar 2014 19:27:30 1,756 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Indeed.

Anyway, alarming....

https://twitter.com/TomMc_Sports/status/445514549626945536
    Happened with Mancini as well when he took on City.
  • Bremenacht 17 Mar 2014 19:34:50 19,644 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Moyes stuff is getting ridiculous. Is there nothing that won't get picked up on as a sign of some sort of mental or physical decline?
  • Trowel 17 Mar 2014 19:48:46 18,054 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    QotSAfan wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    The revisionism of Moyes is getting a bit ridiculous now. He is not a bad manager. Actually he's a very good one.

There's lots wrong at United and sure, he's getting a lot wrong, but he's currently also the scapegoat for nearly a decade of under-investment by the Glazers.
    It isn't revisionism. It's just acknowledgement that Moyes has been found out as a manager when he has been required to step up to the next level. He is a good solid manager but he lacks the charisma and leadership skills for any of the biggest clubs in world football. He just got hired beyond the level that he was best operating at.
    Ah yes, who needs players when the manager's charisma alone can earn you 3 points.
  • kentmonkey 17 Mar 2014 20:02:12 20,923 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    QotSAfan wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    Indeed.

Anyway, alarming....

https://twitter.com/TomMc_Sports/status/445514549626945536
    Happened with Mancini as well when he took on City.
    To be fair to him, the first one has a lot of flash and he's pulling an 'upward face' expression, meaning everything is tightened.

In the latter one he is frowning and very little flash to smooth out the wrinkles.

More selective use of photos than actual proof that he's aged quicker than a Nigerian footballer.
  • FWB 17 Mar 2014 21:18:10 45,574 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cleverley and Wellshit.
  • morriss 17 Mar 2014 21:28:28 71,286 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No matter what way you cut it, the players aren't performing, and the performances haven't been good enough. The tactics have been baffling, and the public leadership skills sorely lacking.
  • spindle9988 17 Mar 2014 21:30:21 3,676 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    No matter what way you cut it, the players aren't performing, and the performances haven't been good enough. The tactics have been baffling, and the public leadership skills sorely lacking.
    So the shorter version is that they are shit
  • morriss 17 Mar 2014 21:30:40 71,286 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ...and that's just Tim Sherwood! BOOM! etc.

Seriously though: Rooney, RVP, and now Mata - three of the best players in Europe - spearheading a side that may not be overflowing with quality but is still decent/solid in every area should not be struggling in this manner.
  • reddevil93 17 Mar 2014 22:15:54 12,060 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    20 times, 20 times Man United?

• TheSaint 17 Mar 2014 22:41:14 14,826 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AKA media bias.
  • IMO 17 Mar 2014 23:03:21 5,741 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Also, it's mildly amusing that Liverpool are genuine, true title contenders and Arsenal's title race is over.

They are on the same points having played the same number of games.

Football narratives.
    I get why they say it, I just wish 4 of our best midfielders were not injured. I've pretty much forgotten what Aaron Ramsey looks like.
  • RedSparrows 17 Mar 2014 23:11:14 24,154 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    AKA media bias.
    It's not bias, it's just the usual 10-second attention span thing: Arsenal have been in top 4 all season, and have gone off the pace compared to where they were. Liverpool were not expected to be so close by all but the most deluded fans, and are currently in great form.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2014 23:18:31
    RedSparrows wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    AKA media bias.
    It's not bias, it's just the usual 10-second attention span thing: Arsenal have been in top 4 all season, and have gone off the pace compared to where they were. Liverpool were not expected to be so close by all but the most deluded fans, and are currently in great form.
    I'm deluded and certainly not a Liverpool fan, but I agree to this broad stroke.

My application to become a de facto plastic Liverpool fan is currently in processing.
  • The-Bodybuilder 17 Mar 2014 23:31:27 14,439 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Regarding Sagna's contract.

I love Ramsey, but if the rumours are true of being offered 100k a week based on 4 months of (albeit exceptional) form, I can imagine if I was Sagna I would be demanding parity with that. He's asking for less.

And one of the biggest issues over the past few years is that we've let wise heads leave way too easily just to set in youngsters... who then go on to have iffy form that affects the club, peak, and then demand a move anyways.

So let's reward loyalty for once, eh?
  • vijay_UK 17 Mar 2014 23:51:19 2,363 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @The-Bodybuilder

I should have been clearer. I have no issue with the wages being asked, these figures seem to be the going rate.

It's the 6m signing-on fee that surprised me. That's a lot of money to keep a player already on the books*.

I can understand if Sagna was a 25-year old and on a Bosman; but Sagna is 31-year old going on 32.

* If memory serves me correctly, Henry was given a lumpsum 5m to sign on, so perhaps when it comes to contract negotiations for players in their final year, signing-on fees are part of the negotiations.
  • IMO 18 Mar 2014 00:22:56 5,741 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Regarding Sagna's contract.

I love Ramsey, but if the rumours are true of being offered 100k a week based on 4 months of (albeit exceptional) form, I can imagine if I was Sagna I would be demanding parity with that. He's asking for less.

And one of the biggest issues over the past few years is that we've let wise heads leave way too easily just to set in youngsters... who then go on to have iffy form that affects the club, peak, and then demand a move anyways.

So let's reward loyalty for once, eh?
    6m though? I can't imagine he thinks he'll actually get that.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2014 06:58:26
    He does have lovely hair though, that can't come cheaply.
  • Reacher 18 Mar 2014 08:16:38 899 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    "Neutral fans want to see Liverpool win this season's Premier League title as a reward for Gerrard's loyalty, according to their former midfielder Jan Molby."

Nah. Surely not.
  • Dougs 18 Mar 2014 08:17:46 69,469 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The reason we let players like that go in the past was because we couldn't afford to keep them, knowing they'd command higher wages than a younger more inexperienced player so the club was forced to make a choice. In an ideal world you'd keep both, but that was impossible if we wanted to balance the books.

I think Henry's signing on fee was more 10m too.
  • Syrette 18 Mar 2014 08:18:51 44,207 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Reacher wrote:
    "Neutral fans want to see Liverpool win this season's Premier League title as a reward for Gerrard's loyalty, according to their former midfielder Jan Molby."

Nah. Surely not.
    Utter nonsense.

• Dougs 18 Mar 2014 08:19:22 69,469 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Reacher wrote:

Nah. Surely not.
    Rodgers claimed they were everyone's favourite 2nd team at the weekend. Some of us can remember the 70s and 80s fucko!
  • Deleted user 18 March 2014 08:19:47
    Reacher wrote:

Nah. Surely not.
    No, you're right, more for the fact that they're neither City nor Chelsea.
  • IMO 18 Mar 2014 08:23:15 5,741 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Reacher wrote:

Nah. Surely not.
    Where do they get this stuff from?
  • Page

of 5658 First / Last