• Page

of 5502 First / Last

• mikew1985 11 Mar 2014 16:25:42 12,787 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    robc84 wrote:
    @vijay_UK

Not sure what the point is though. Good player plays well, team wins?

Not convinced you were considered well behind Spurs or Utd, about on par I'd say. Either way you are performing better than expected, no arguments there.
    What I'm getting at is Suarez threatening to leave Liverpool as they finished 7th last year in the EPL, and did nothing in the cups. And they had performed poorly since Dalglish had signed him.

He wants Champions League footy - so dangling himself in front of Arsenal last summer was really to push the club onwards, rather than stagnate.

I think he's happy at Liverpool, only if the club and the players perform to the level he wants them to be at. If not, he'll make himself available to other clubs and I see nothing wrong with that.
    :D

The second line focusing on CL is a particular gem.

Genius strategic thinking from Suarez.
  • SolidSCB 11 Mar 2014 16:26:57 6,771 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Suarez is absolutely tailor made for Madrid. They will adore him and his antics over there and Real will be on their annual 'sign someone's best player for stupid money' campaign. It's almost too obvious.
  • Blakester 11 Mar 2014 16:29:13 3,630 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think he got off fairly lightly actually.

Considering he's been warned about his conduct before, I was expecting them to properly throw the book at him.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• TheSaint 11 Mar 2014 16:30:11 14,478 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Banning from the stadium itself is pretty unprecedented as far as I can remember.
  • kalel 11 Mar 2014 16:53:21 87,919 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    arials101 wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Liverpool were able to resist because they were able to convince Suarez to stay. That's all that matters really. If a player is happy to stay, then it doesn't matter what bids come in for him.

Liverpool wouldn't want to sell Suarez for any sum of money another club would reasonably be able to offer, but if he makes it clear behind the scenes that he is off like Bale/Torres did then negotiations on a fee would start.

This Suarez to Real Madrid situation is purely hypothetical though - might as well discuss Ozil to Bayern Munich or Yaya Toure/Eden Hazard to PSG. There's still two months of the season (and a world cup) before trite transfer speculation has a place.
    Sorry, I didn't realise we needed to wait for the appropriate moment to speculate on these things. Be sure to tell the media, they'll definitely give a fuck.
  • nickthegun 11 Mar 2014 17:13:52 60,136 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Banning from the stadium itself is pretty unprecedented as far as I can remember.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• kalel 11 Mar 2014 17:28:02 87,919 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kaboul has had his red rescinded.

That's the second time this season the FA has essentially admitted to a crucial wrong decision. It's nice that they admit their errors, but it's a little irritating that there's no real benefit to the realisation other than a player not being banned.

Anyway, slightly improves our chances against Arsenal which is nice.
  • Dougs 11 Mar 2014 17:35:45 68,040 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Isn't that was Boriska was saying last week?! :)

It also sends some pretty conflicting messages imo. Was it rescinded because they didn't think it was a foul (which surely they would never do, undermines the ref) or because they didn't think it was a clear goalscoring questions (genuine question, not had time to look at the outcome).
  • Mr_Sleep 11 Mar 2014 17:37:44 17,095 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The other option is that they think Chelsea are full of cunts so they just differed to that principle when making their ruling.

You are a factory of sadness.

• kalel 11 Mar 2014 17:38:10 87,919 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I didn't disagree with him, although he was saying a player being banned after the game doesn't help, which is sort of the opposite.

As I said then, in those cases I think point deductions should be considered. It's the only fair (and meaningful) way to punish clubs.
  • kalel 11 Mar 2014 17:39:28 87,919 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They don't really clarify exactly why its rescinded. Just "unfair dismissal".
  • kalel 11 Mar 2014 17:40:20 87,919 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In the case of Danny Rose's against City though, it was a clear admittance it wasn't a foul.
  • Mr_Sleep 11 Mar 2014 17:44:25 17,095 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    As I said then, in those cases I think point deductions should be considered. It's the only fair (and meaningful) way to punish clubs.
    If a dive is a yellow card during the match then surely the same should apply in these situations and the Chelsea player should have a yellow card put against their name. Although that opens up a whole can of worms regarding putting panels together to do this even when a player hasn't been red carded. I can't see the FA giving themselves more work to do.

You are a factory of sadness.

• robc84 11 Mar 2014 19:17:10 5,707 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Some good news then. Shame eto'o won't get punished though even though the fa are basically admitting he dived.
  • faux-C 11 Mar 2014 20:29:45 9,398 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    He's off in the summer, end of. He seemed quite happy moving almost sideways to Arsenal last summer before all the contract clause bollocks. When someone like Real come in at the end of the season, you've got fuck all chance. I'm sure he's already got a good idea of where he's off to and has done well to put himself in the shop window for the clubs who can afford him. Kudos to Liverpool for getting him to sign a new contract though. I'm sure he'll go for Bale money, but go he absolutely, 100% without a shadow of a doubt will.
    What are you basing that on, exactly? If we qualify for the Champions League there's no way he'll leave in the summer.
  • ElNuevo9 11 Mar 2014 21:41:33 13,443 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, if you get Champions League, he won't want to move to a warmer climate that is more akin to the one he grew up in, play with some of the worlds best players at one of the most prestigious clubs in the world and probably get a massive pay rise?

Right you are.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that racism is still rife in Spanish football - he's perfect for Madrid.

Edited by ElNino9 at 21:43:36 11-03-2014

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• FWB 11 Mar 2014 21:52:46 44,665 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So, is Suarez a true Red, loyal to the core again? No shirt burning anymore? The wind changes so quickly at Anfield, it is hard to keep up.
  • twelveways 12 Mar 2014 04:48:58 4,031 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If he really wanted CL football then he would be a bit dumb to leave the club that he helps to qualify. I reckon he would wait for LPool to crash out before he leaves.
  • morriss 12 Mar 2014 05:33:26 71,034 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You make it sound like he has loyalty. He'll ask for a transfer in the summer. Why shouldn't he?
  • twelveways 12 Mar 2014 06:28:32 4,031 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not loyalty as such, more like wanting to see something through to the finish. Obviously I (like I presume all of the people here) don't really know what is going through his mind.
  • Trowel 12 Mar 2014 07:04:06 17,797 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Roger Madrid: "Luis, we'd like to pay you 300k per week."

Luis: "Oh no Roger Madrid, you see: When you walk through a storm... hold your head up high..."
  • kalel 12 Mar 2014 07:12:42 87,919 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Guys we're not supposed to talk about this. It ain't appropriate yet.
  • robc84 12 Mar 2014 08:55:25 5,707 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    To be fair the reason it was bought up in the first place was someone suggesting that once Liverpool were in the top 4 that they would be there for good.

The reality is that they have a world class player who will eventually be off to a bigger club (most likely Madrid), regardless of whether they have CL. Sadly, it's the way of the football world.
  • The-Bodybuilder 12 Mar 2014 08:56:34 14,225 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Roger Madrid is an awesome.
  • mikew1985 12 Mar 2014 09:00:39 12,787 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also Liverpool are and will be the most tenuously poised of the top 4 clubs even if they get in this season.

Next season the fight to get into that top 4 is going to be even more competitive you'd feel.
  • twelveways 12 Mar 2014 09:05:23 4,031 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Liverpool proved that they could play pretty well without him, losing him and gaining 80+ million for a replacement and some defenders might not be the worst thing in the world. I think they still have pulling power, especially if they do get a top 4.
  • IMO 12 Mar 2014 09:07:54 5,680 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    After all, it worked out really well for Spurs.
  • TheSaint 12 Mar 2014 09:11:39 14,478 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Personally I love the romanticised view Liverpool fans have of Suarez.

We have academy graduates that I wouldn't assume have that kind of loyalty let alone a Uruguayan who has only been at their club a few years.

In some ways he has almost become bigger than the club in the eyes of Liverpool fans. Even giving interviews to The Sun and saying he want to leave don't dent his popularity. He could probably wear a United shirt and take a dump on a seat in the Kop and Liverpool fans would put it down to some kind of twisted way to motivate his team mates.
  • robc84 12 Mar 2014 09:11:48 5,707 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    Liverpool proved that they could play pretty well without him, losing him and gaining 80+ million for a replacement and some defenders might not be the worst thing in the world. I think they still have pulling power, especially if they do get a top 4.
    To be fair, we thought the same. We have much better squad depth now, but you just can't replace that magic that a Suarez or a Bale provides.

Any team would struggle to lose a player of that quality and carry on as well as before.

You'd have to think Utd will be back in the hunt for top 4 next year, as well as Spurs, Arsenal and possibly Everton. I'm not saying they won't finish top 4 again, but it's far from guaranteed like it used to be.
  • Page

of 5502 First / Last