The all-new Premier League thread Page 4713

• Page

of 5265 First / Last

• cheeky_prawnking 10 Mar 2014 18:58:28 4,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He was always going to be a caretaker till the end of the season regardless of the contract. By handing him a longer contract the thinking I imagine was to get the players playing for him rather than thinking he is out at the the of the season.

Didn't want him originally certainly don't want him now, may as well stuck with AVB till the end of the season and then got rid.

Edited by cheeky_prawnking at 18:58:43 10-03-2014
  • kalel 10 Mar 2014 19:04:46 86,448 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the slightly unpleasant truth is that Levy wanted to sack AVB while it was justified, just in case he turned it around and then he had to keep him on.
  • cheeky_prawnking 10 Mar 2014 19:09:05 4,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just so frustrating that another season which in theory promised so much has pretty much gone.

I kinda hope rumours of Van Gaal in the summer are true, I think the players are there just needs the right manager.
  • morriss 10 Mar 2014 19:21:02 70,911 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think Sherwood, is genuine, honest and forthright. He just can't really manage. Not his fault. If Levy offered me the job I'd give it a go. So I don't really blame him. Buck stops with the chairman. If he appoints someone like Laudrup in the summer who will be gone by 2016 he has to go. Also, next manager he has to back: fees, wages, the lot.
  • Bremenacht 10 Mar 2014 19:39:33 17,622 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cheeky_prawnking wrote:
    Didn't want him originally certainly don't want him now, may as well stuck with AVB till the end of the season and then got rid.
    I don't think he could have lasted. He was losing the dressing room (allegedly), he was losing the fans (increasingly) and he lost the trust of his bosses (definitely). I didn't like seeing AVB getting done over, but it has been for the best, so far. The team is better to watch (they go forwards now, as well as sideways) and they score goals. If Adebayor hadn't been rehabilitated, who'd have scored the goals? Townsend?

Laudrup could be very exciting at Spurs and would suit the team, but I think Sherwood should have his chance.
  • robc84 10 Mar 2014 19:52:30 5,345 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I do quite like Tim, but he has more than a touch of the 'arries about him. Think he came in when the dressing room was down and gave them a lift. As a top level manager he is not there yet. Maybe in time though.

He has done well to get ade playing, and giving him a senior role in the team was a good move. But I think if van gaal wants the job it's his, and I think it would be a good move.

We have some really good players we just need a manager to get the best out of them.
  • cheeky_prawnking 10 Mar 2014 19:54:40 4,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maybe not. Don't think Sherwood deserved anything behind the end of the season, nothing personal against him.

If he turned out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread then I would happily have eaten my words, but he isn't.

To me he seems to sum up why British managers aren't given top jobs, just seems a total lack of tactical knowledge.

Ideally you want a combination of him and avb
  • robc84 10 Mar 2014 20:03:00 5,345 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That being said I do think he has the potential to be a good pl manager. I just think the spurs job (or probably any pl job) is too high profile as a first managers job.

Ideally he'd be a no.2 for a few years to an experienced manager. I'd quite like him to stay at the lane for that. But I have a feeling he will want to be no1 somewhere. In that case he'd be better off dropping down a division or 2 where he could learn from his mistakes while under far less scrutiny.
  • Dougs 10 Mar 2014 20:06:04 66,765 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He's already said he doesn't want to be a No2. Liked his technical coordinator role though.
  • THFourteen 10 Mar 2014 20:10:05 32,904 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tim nice but dim.
  • robc84 10 Mar 2014 20:12:26 5,345 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @THFourteen

Nice? I thought everyone outside of n17 thought he was a cunt!
  • cheeky_prawnking 10 Mar 2014 20:21:01 4,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not everyone outside...
  • Youthist 10 Mar 2014 20:25:26 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wonder if Spurs would be in worse, better or same position under AVB? I go with same.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• mikew1985 10 Mar 2014 21:16:08 12,613 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    At least the same. Still a fucking terrible decision in my book.
  • Commander-Keen 11 Mar 2014 08:49:26 806 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's normally a bounce when you sack a manager and get a new one in. Levy probably gambled that the bounce would be enough to make a difference and, arguably, it has.

Tim's always had caretaker written all over him though. He's never been properly accepted by the fans and seems to have understood that he was auditioning for his next job from day one.

I'm more baffled about how some players just seem to have disappeared. There has to be more to the Lamela story imo...
  • kalel 11 Mar 2014 08:53:46 86,448 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think it was such a bad decision to sack AVB. He was losing the players and the fans, and his relationship with Levy was poor. Tim was just a placeholder and he's done no worse than AVB would have done. Possibly a bit better. We've scored a lot more goals.

And Lamela is injured. It really is that simple. I don't know why everyone has to build a conspiracy theory around it.
  • Commander-Keen 11 Mar 2014 08:58:38 806 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just feels a bit fishy, that's all, but I accept it could be as innocent as all that. The number of times that players are "just injured" and then it comes out that there was a whole lot going on and injury was a cover, however, is way too common to rule it out as a possibility here, as he's been out for a while, and struggled to adapt, etc.

I don't necessarily disagree with sacking AvB either, though I liked him. It's a shame. He's proved he can do well in an environment where things are going right, but twice now has come up short when things have got tough.
  • Dairyfree 11 Mar 2014 09:02:45 1,070 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Was AVB overrated when he first came over to manage? Everyone hyped him to be Mourinho MkII.(Was that just lazy journalism due to being Portugese, Winning with Porto and Working with him?)

The Chelsea sacking came about and everyone placed the blame on Abramovic and player power, but then the same happened at Spurs in a way too.
  • kalel 11 Mar 2014 09:03:20 86,448 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The fact that it's a world cup year and he hasn't been involved in any Argentina friendlies or training would suggest he is actually just injured.

I don't think it's particularly common that injury is a cover story for other issues. Any examples?
  • kalel 11 Mar 2014 09:05:42 86,448 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dairyfree wrote:
    Was AVB overrated when he first came over to manage? Everyone hyped him to be Mourinho MkII.(Was that just lazy journalism due to being Portugese, Winning with Porto and Working with him?)
    Beyond those things he did have an unbeaten season at Porto winning the league by 20 points, the domestic cup and the UEFA cup, making him the youngest manager ever to win a European tournament.

So it was reasonable to think he was pretty hot shit at that point.
  • Blakester 11 Mar 2014 09:08:28 3,580 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Player's autobiographies are littered with stories of them using bogus injuries to get out of playing. Often when trying to engineer a move, lacking in confidence or a major falling our with the management.

It's amazing that the medical staff just take the player's word for it though...

No idea what the Lamela injury is though. Must be fairly serious for him to have missed almost the entire season though.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• tincanrocket 11 Mar 2014 09:10:01 2,920 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    erm *allegedly* Dan Agger and Jack Wilshere's injuries haven't always strictly been actual injuries, iirc

If you are injured and not playing then there are certain tests that you won't have to take, like those that Rio might have forgotten to attend...

Edit - just to clarify, just because Lamela is South American I am not necessarily saying that he has a penchant for Bolivian Marching Powder or anything like that. It is far more likely that Spurs decided to use their own scouts for this deal (rather than Liverpool's), and have since found out that they spent 30M on a complete turkey. If they actually let him play then other teams might notice this and are unlikely to pay the 15M they now want to recoup by selling him *

* that's 100% pure prime kalel-bait right there ;)

Edited by tincanrocket at 09:20:52 11-03-2014
  • nickthegun 11 Mar 2014 09:13:14 58,948 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cheeky_prawnking wrote:
    To me he seems to sum up why British managers aren't given top jobs, just seems a total lack of tactical knowledge.
    One of two things seem to happen to British (English) managers. They either did fuck all in their playing careers and spend their lives plugging away, doing competent work outside of the premierships or they get given a job thats way too big for them straight off the bat and do nothing ever again.

It seems virtually impossible to work your way up the tree, so hats off to someone like Rodgers who put in the hard yards and landed a big job eventually.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Blakester 11 Mar 2014 09:20:20 3,580 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    cheeky_prawnking wrote:
    One of two things seem to happen to British (English) managers. They either did fuck all in their playing careers and spend their lives plugging away, doing competent work outside of the premierships or they get given a job thats way too big for them straight off the bat and do nothing ever again.

It seems virtually impossible to work your way up the tree, so hats off to someone like Rodgers who put in the hard yards and landed a big job eventually.
    It took a while, but I'm now firmly of the belief that Rodgers is the best thing to happen to our club in a long, long time.

He comes out with the odd Brentism for sure, but he clearly knows what he's doing, is tactically astute and the team are evidently playing for him. I'm surprised the media aren't fawning all over him to be honest, given he's outwitted older, wiser and more experienced continental managers on a regular basis.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• LeoliansBro 11 Mar 2014 09:21:35 43,321 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I don't think it's particularly common that injury is a cover story for other issues. Any examples?
    Wilshere? Allegedly.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Dougs 11 Mar 2014 09:22:24 66,765 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think that theory is blown out of the water when you consider he clearly has glass ankles.
  • LeoliansBro 11 Mar 2014 09:24:31 43,321 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought it was more his glass tables that were the problem. But I'm only going on hearsay and internet rumour, which tends to be utter bullshit.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Dairyfree 11 Mar 2014 09:25:00 1,070 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    kalel wrote:
    Dairyfree wrote:
    Beyond those things he did have an unbeaten season at Porto winning the league by 20 points, the domestic cup and the UEFA cup, making him the youngest manager ever to win a European tournament.

So it was reasonable to think he was pretty hot shit at that point.
    Yeah, that is true. I wonder if that is a bit of a fluke with a strong Porto team or he is just better suited managing outside the PL.

Players more willing to adapt to his tactics etc.
  • nickthegun 11 Mar 2014 09:28:43 58,948 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the thing with Rodgers is, like anyone who is great at something, he had to work damn hard at it. He did the research and took the time to learn the craft.

Whereas someone like Paul Ince seems to expect good jobs because he is black.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• tincanrocket 11 Mar 2014 09:35:18 2,920 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :D

I think Paul Ince actually thinks he should get the top jobs because he is Paul Ince - you might be getting him confused with Sol Campbell? ;)

Edited by tincanrocket at 09:36:51 11-03-2014
  • Page

of 5265 First / Last