The all-new Premier League thread Page 4711

• Page

of 5470 First / Last

• Bremenacht 9 Mar 2014 13:18:53 18,275 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It looked like a play-acting cunt after another free-kick or -better still- yellow card. All very well pulling the 'obvious' card out long after the event, but right then it looked like another attempt to fool the ref.
  • Dairyfree 9 Mar 2014 13:23:37 1,274 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Well, I didn't even notice him down until after the ball had been cleared and didn't see any attempt from him to get anyone booked or get a freekick.

He looked genuinely injured which was shown about 2 seconds later in the replay that he was.
  • DreadedWalrus 9 Mar 2014 14:42:57 352 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I haven't seen Match of the Day, I'm just going off what it looked like when I saw it live on BT Sport. I might be biased as a West Brom fan, but even at the time it didn't look like he was play-acting. My first thought on seeing the replay was "ouch, that looks painful. I hope he's not injured", rather than "Rooney should be booked/RVP should be booked/Brunt is play-acting". All three of our substitutions were due to injury (our captain Brunt, Yacob, and our only fit right-back Reid), and now all three players are injury doubts for the next game.

I think Brunt dived once early on without calling for a foul, but I don't get this "West Brom were a disgrace", "Brunt is as bad as Ashley Young" talk.
  • Subquest 9 Mar 2014 21:25:34 312 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not sending RVP off was a grade A, class 1 bottling by the ref. On a par with the recent Howard Webb pissed-filled bottling by not giving Suarez a second penalty. If a referee feels he can't judge each incident on its own merits, and instead fails to award an appropriate decision to even out poor decisions he knew he made earlier in the game, then he's not cut out for the job.
  • Jono62 9 Mar 2014 21:45:56 14,120 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The ref should have sent Foster off too. Clear handball and Van Persie would have been in on an open goal. That was a bottle job too.
  • Dougs 9 Mar 2014 22:17:41 67,730 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, looked a pretty obvious decision to me too. Motd claimed he got the ball, but the only reason he got a touch on it was because the wba player flicked it up into his path.
  • Dougs 9 Mar 2014 22:18:43 67,730 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    The ref should have sent Foster off too. Clear handball and Van Persie would have been in on an open goal. That was a bottle job too.
    Less convinced by that, it clearly his his arm, but surely (as with all handballs) it has to be deliberate?
  • dsmx 9 Mar 2014 22:24:38 7,604 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    From FIFA's own rules:

Handling the ball:

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with
    the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following into
    consideration:
    the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
    the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
    the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an
    infringement
    touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.)
    counts as an infringement
    hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) counts as an
    infringement.

Disciplinary sanctions:

There are circumstances when a caution for unsporting behaviour is required
    when a player deliberately handles the ball, e.g. when a player:

deliberately and blatantly handles the ball to prevent an opponent gaining
    possession

attempts to score a goal by deliberately handling the ball A player is sent off, however, if he prevents a goal or an obvious goalscoring
    opportunity by deliberately handling the ball. This punishment arises not from
    the act of the player deliberately handling the ball but from the unacceptable
    and unfair intervention that prevented a goal being scored

Edited by dsmx at 22:29:42 09-03-2014

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Youthist 10 Mar 2014 09:25:27 10,018 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Garth Crooks put Phil Jones in his "team of the week" with this comment:

Against West Brom, he looked like he was almost back to his best. With a World Cup around the corner, England's go-to utility player will, provided he remains fit, be a valuable asset for the national team.
    I saw the match. He was utter shit for about 88 minutes.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• nickthegun 10 Mar 2014 09:30:27 59,937 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im going to go out on a limb and say that he will face tougher tests than west brom in the world cup.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• TheSaint 10 Mar 2014 09:32:07 14,397 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Garth Crooks in talking shit shock!
  • mcmonkeyplc 10 Mar 2014 09:41:20 39,457 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how, but I think Crooks has mistaken Jones for Smalling.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Dairyfree 10 Mar 2014 09:50:52 1,274 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Youthist wrote:

Against West Brom, he looked like he was almost back to his best. With a World Cup around the corner, England's go-to utility player will, provided he remains fit, be a valuable asset for the national team.
    His touch and dwelling on the ball got him into trouble a few times, but he is just coming back from injury.

I do think he will be a quality cb though and he did make some great tackles against West Brom.
  • Blakester 10 Mar 2014 09:52:07 3,618 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's only Monday and I'm already psyched for the games on Sunday. The top 4 could conceivably be wrapped up by the time of the final whistle goes at WHL.

If Liverpool can beat Utd, then they'll have at least a 6 point lead and a game in hand over Spurs which I reckon would be too much.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• mcmonkeyplc 10 Mar 2014 10:03:08 39,457 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can't let that happen then :p

• spindle9988 10 Mar 2014 10:06:21 3,590 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did a player come out yesterday as the sun promised?
  • Dairyfree 10 Mar 2014 10:06:53 1,274 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I'm cautiously optimistic about a win on Sunday, until I see Young in the starting line-up.
  • Blakester 10 Mar 2014 10:10:41 3,618 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A lot of the Liverpool team won't have played for two weeks. Could be a blessing or a curse.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• TheSaint 10 Mar 2014 10:14:58 14,397 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    Nah, it turned out to be some Twitter bullshitter looking for attention.
  • mikew1985 10 Mar 2014 10:15:41 12,741 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Youthist wrote:

You are simply wrong. You thought Fellaini was shit too. I suggest you take a gander at Fellainis stats for the game to see how skewed your view of the game was.
  • mcmonkeyplc 10 Mar 2014 10:18:05 39,457 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I watched the game too and I thought Fellani was wank but the stats say something else.

Perhaps it's a subjective thing?

• THFourteen 10 Mar 2014 10:18:15 33,428 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    STATS!!!!

WE CAN PROVE STUFFS WITH STATS!!!

:-)
  • spindle9988 10 Mar 2014 10:23:08 3,590 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    spindle9988 wrote:
    Thougnt as much. could of been a big step in football

Edited by spindle9988 at 10:23:48 10-03-2014
  • Youthist 10 Mar 2014 10:24:31 10,018 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Youthist wrote:

You are simply wrong. You thought Fellaini was shit too. I suggest you take a gander at Fellainis stats for the game to see how skewed your view of the game was.
    NO YOU ARE WRONG etc.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Youthist 10 Mar 2014 10:26:21 10,018 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    spindle9988 wrote:
    Thougnt as much. could of been a big step in football
    More of a dainty one to be honest

• mikew1985 10 Mar 2014 10:30:48 12,741 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    I watched the game too and I thought Fellani was wank but the stats say something else.

Perhaps it's a subjective thing?
    It was confirmation bias from both you and Youthist I suspect.

A lot of United (and non) fans have made up their mind about Fellaini and as a result will only see the bad things done in a game.
    He was objectively very good on Saturday; I'd as soon say he was shit if he was but he genuinely held the ball, passed it well and looked really comfortable in the centre of the park.

You ge tthe same thing with a lot of fans and Evra these days, the mistakes get all the focus and the good work gets dismissed. It's a bit ridiculous.

Edited by mikew1985 at 10:31:15 10-03-2014
  • mikew1985 10 Mar 2014 10:34:20 12,741 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    STATS!!!!

WE CAN PROVE STUFFS WITH STATS!!!

:-)
    Of course stats don't tell the whole story but there is some merit when arguing over a performance as being on one extreme of the scale.
    If you're arguing over whether someone was absolutely excellent or simply very good, it's harder to point to specific stats to argue the case but when it's either "they were shit" or "actually they played quite well"; they're a pretty fair objective measurement to use for comparison.

Edited by mikew1985 at 10:35:55 10-03-2014
  • nickthegun 10 Mar 2014 10:41:31 59,937 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They are probably the only concrete thing you can use to argue with people, in a top trumps stylee.

But, yeah, having a 100% pass completion stat looks fine on paper but when all of those passes were back to your keeper, its a bit of a different story.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• THFourteen 10 Mar 2014 10:49:29 33,428 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Someone could have run 50km during a game, but if all they were doing was chasing after the ball and being out of position all the time, they were shite.

but statistically they were awesome.
  • Page

of 5470 First / Last