• Page

of 5503 First / Last

• Punctum 10 Feb 2014 13:37:32 937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    TheMayorOfJugs wrote:
    I miss that siege mentality.

Magic goals, screamers and good moves like every other club but mostly:

Having an excellent defence, counterattacking like lightning, crosses that lock on to your head, get 2 or 3 goals, demoralize the opponents and then camp in their half and maybe/usually score more.

That's Man Utd. :-(
    Was.
  • Punctum 10 Feb 2014 13:39:39 937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    RightBean wrote:
    It is just bad luck to concede in last minute. Also, Bent is a very good player who is known to ruthlessly punish any lapse in concentration
    Absolutely. I've often likened him to Batistuta.

Surprised Madrid haven't pounced yet.
  • The-Bodybuilder 10 Feb 2014 13:42:13 14,225 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    arials101 wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    In fairness, how else is he supposed to accommodate mata, Rooney and Van Persie centrally?
    Brendan Rodgers manages to accommodate Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho at the moment..

4-3-3 with Mata as an attacking midfielder and Januzaj joining Rooney and RVP in a fluid attacking 3 would mimic that system. Not sure how much that would suit RVP and Rooney though. I don't see how Moyes would be able to get 80+ aimless crosses into the box with that line up either, so I don't think it's a goer.
    As you've pointed out, the likely wouldn't suit either RVP or Rooney. This is the same Rooney that hated playing a wide role to accommodate Ronaldo in his final time. And Mata not working defensively hard enough on the wing.

The simple truth is you can't accommodate all 3 in their favoured position, especially as Rooney and Mata are both no10s. Unless you play Rooney as CF and Mata there, but that would mean dropping RVP.

Moyes has a lot against him, but people criticising him for not playing Mata centrally shouldn't be one of them.
    You don't buy a Ferrari and then keep locked in a garage. Stupid to spend the money on him then not use him properly.
    I don't disagree with that. Nut one of the three will have to be dropped though. Yet all three are arguably their best players.

Or maybe a 4-1-4-1 is the best shot, with Mata and Rooney behind RvP and still two wingers to launch 80 crosses.

But they would need a damn good DM for that.
  • Punctum 10 Feb 2014 13:45:45 937 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    He's clearly not going to change anything anyway. He seems quite happy with our style of play and believes it's all down to bad luck. We had 81 goalscoring opportunities yesterday after all. Just going to have to wait it out and hope he gets punted sooner rather than later. We had a nice little run of fixtures in Jan and early Feb, and got nothing. Borderline relegation form. We're actually going to slip even further down the table after the next run of games we have too. Can't wait for the gifs.
    Looking at the table, the lowest we will end up is ninth.

Finishing lower would be difficult even if you were trying to lose games. But, if anyone can do it, it's Moyes.
  • Syrette 10 Feb 2014 13:47:30 43,609 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Marcus Bent was a great player you set of twats.

• reddevil93 10 Feb 2014 13:48:02 11,814 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    ""I've never headed that many balls since I played in the Conference!" Wonderful zing from Dan Burn."
    One silver lining of Fulham getting that equaliser is surely Moyes can't come away from that game in any way happy now. If we had scrapped over the line he might've continued to believe that them tactics were acceptable. He needs the slating he's getting at the minute if he's ever going to change up. Not looking likely at the minute however.

• Tom_Servo 10 Feb 2014 13:54:00 17,990 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Out of United's upcoming games the only ones I would be feeling confident about are Olympiacos and West Brom. I wouldn't predict better than a draw away at Palace right now.

They could be genuinely mid-table by the time the other fixtures are done.

Very interesting times ahead for Moyes. Captain Obvious, but he really needs some big results from Arsenal, Liverpool and City. Not sure he knows how to turn it around though.
  • The-Bodybuilder 10 Feb 2014 13:55:11 14,225 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Arsenal must really regret not finding the extra 5m-10m they would have needed to sign Suarez. Ozil is good, but Suarez would have won them the league.
    Ozil + Higuain would've been good.
  • Deleted user 10 February 2014 13:58:24
    @spindle9988 Pulis became a shit parody of himself with us. The last two years became largely insufferable to watch. Eventually began to lose what he was renowned for. He's already shown that he'll never change by buying targets he wanted 3 years ago with us. I'm surprised Bobby Zamora isn't with Palace now.

He'll keep Palace up, no doubt. He thrives on the underdog mentality. It's just a question what he'll do 3 years down the line if he gets that far. All the best to him though, he's a really nice bloke regardless of the shit certain media outlets and fans think.
  • LeoliansBro 10 Feb 2014 14:01:24 44,428 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When you're sat in row Z
    And the ball hits your head
    That's Zamora...

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• The-Bodybuilder 10 Feb 2014 14:09:35 14,225 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Quick point about Ozil.
    I do feel many arsenal fans aren't willing to say a bad word about him. Currently, all the defence of him so far are EXACTLY what we were saying up until the final season of Arshavin (he's a lazy arse work shy but is capable of magic at any moment so we have to stomach his work rate and his poor performances for the moment of magic, which are ever more fleeting). He's nothing like DB10, as DB was never work shy (Adams and Vieira would never allow it).
    The simple truth is his performances PALE in comparison to his Madrid performances.

Saying that, I think he's more like Hazard than Arshavin; underwhelming first season. As we can see this season, Hazard is now at optimal level.

But saying that, I think we should play Rosicky this Wednesday. His second half of the season introductions have been key over the past 2 seasons. We simply don't have time for passengers anymore, regardless of price. Wenger's dropping of players in bad form was one of the key changes he made last season. He should hold on to that.
  • The-Bodybuilder 10 Feb 2014 14:10:42 14,225 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And Sozildado is best, kalel. :p
  • kalel 10 Feb 2014 14:11:45 87,933 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think whoever you play will struggle until Flamini comes back. He was your real signing of the summer.
  • captbirdseye 10 Feb 2014 14:12:13 5,033 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has he scored yet? :D
  • Trowel 10 Feb 2014 14:13:27 17,797 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Vidic seems to have gotten off very lightly with setting up both goals. The equivalent of handling in your notice at work then spending the next three months sabotaging your client contracts and hiding fish in drawers.
  • Kay 10 Feb 2014 14:24:35 17,905 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Quick point about Ozil.
    I do feel many arsenal fans aren't willing to say a bad word about him. Currently, all the defence of him so far are EXACTLY what we were saying up until the final season of Arshavin (he's a lazy arse work shy but is capable of magic at any moment so we have to stomach his work rate and his poor performances for the moment of magic, which are ever more fleeting). He's nothing like DB10, as DB was never work shy (Adams and Vieira would never allow it).
    Dunno, that argument implies that he's not doing anything at all, aside from the odd great pass or move, which is wrong imo. As I've said before, he's been pretty good in general attacking play, and his work-rate there is fine, but he's found wanting when the going gets tough and he needs to press/defend. Obviously that's exactly the time when you need your shiny new signing to stand up and make himself count, and in that sense he's definitely been disappointing.
  • kalel 10 Feb 2014 14:35:33 87,933 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Man U make lots of shit crosses:

Description_here

Edited by kalel at 14:38:12 10-02-2014
  • mcmonkeyplc 10 Feb 2014 14:49:51 39,464 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:

Description_here
    Amazing Geoff!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mcmonkeyplc 10 Feb 2014 15:03:14 39,464 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago

Next seasons training shirt revealed.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• nickthegun 10 Feb 2014 15:09:17 60,164 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I want to make him a t-shirt that says 'get it in the mixer'.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• spindle9988 10 Feb 2014 15:25:12 3,597 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @feeg86

I have always thought he comes across quite well. I still think he was the only available manager who has a chance of keeping palace up. I can understand Stoke wanted to move up to the next level, It was quite predictable what would happen once Pulis left though
  • spindle9988 10 Feb 2014 15:40:19 3,597 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Dougs 10 Feb 2014 15:43:33 68,063 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:

Description_here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKC9KdBCgW4#t

They'll score with their first one on Wed, I bet you!
  • nickthegun 10 Feb 2014 15:48:17 60,164 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I assume this point has already been made, but they would have been better off signing Andy Carroll over Mata.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• The-Bodybuilder 10 Feb 2014 15:50:02 14,225 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Quick point about Ozil.
    Dunno, that argument implies that he's not doing anything at all, aside from the odd great pass or move, which is wrong imo. As I've said before, he's been pretty good in general attacking play, and his work-rate there is fine, but he's found wanting when the going gets tough and he needs to press/defend. Obviously that's exactly the time when you need your shiny new signing to stand up and make himself count, and in that sense he's definitely been disappointing.
    That's pretty much my point. Truth is Arshavin was fine in our normal games, but was found seriously wanting at the times when we needed him the most, very much like Ozil now.

The fact that he shies away from difficult moments is what's getting to the fans. Kinds seems like he just wants to run home and snuggle into his bed.

Doesn't help him that he is effectively our long term replacement of Fabregas, who was never one to run away from times when he had tombs counted (until he decided he was off to barca).

But Ozil is for the long term, and I expect better from him next season.
  • The-Bodybuilder 10 Feb 2014 15:52:39 14,225 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I assume this point has already been made, but they would have been better off signing Andy Carroll over Mata.
    Or playing Failaini up front when he's back.
    I expect all their crosses to be hit with super accuracy on Wednesday.

Equally, inspect Ashley Young to win a pen via a blatant dive. But Van Persia will miss it.
  • kalel 10 Feb 2014 15:54:37 87,933 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm expecting Arsenal's capacity to bounce back to exceed United's, although it's got a draw written all over it.

It'll be interesting to see if United have a go at Arsenal. Anyone who watched the Liverpool game can see how vulnerable they are without Flamini in the middle to break things up (like people's knees and heads)
  • Dougs 10 Feb 2014 15:55:32 68,063 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Flamini will be back for Wed I think

Edit: No he won't. Doh

Edited by Dougs at 15:58:12 10-02-2014
  • kalel 10 Feb 2014 15:56:38 87,933 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought he had a four game ban.
  • Page

of 5503 First / Last